[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Smokey Robinson sues Claudette Rogers Robinson over copyright issue

Interesting:

Smokey Robinson suing ex-wife over copyright issue

Soul icon Smokey Robinson is suing his ex-wife Claudette Rogers Robinson to prevent her from profiting from songs he wrote during their 27-year marriage.

The veteran singer is reclaiming the rights to tracks penned before 1978 from bosses at Jobete Music Co. under the copyright termination law, which allows musicians to recover control of their tunes after 35 years.

However, he wants a judge to make it clear that his former The Miracles bandmate Rogers Robinson, who he divorced in 1986, will not be entitled to 50 per cent of any future income the tracks generate, after she demanded half of all interest, royalties and advances from the songs in question, citing California's community property law.

The legendary musician insists his ex's claims are "incorrect" and is seeking a declaratory judgement to terminate and "recapture" the copyrights to tunes he wrote and co-wrote for The Miracles and The Temptations, such as My Girl, Tears of a Clown, You've Really Got a Hold on Me and Get Ready, as well as hits he helped create for other Motown artists early on in his career, like Marvin Gaye, Mary Wells and Brenda Holloway.

In legal papers filed in Federal Court in California, the 74 year old's lawyers write, "Defendant did not write any part of the musical compositions at issue. Plaintiff wrote them during the parties' marriage, which ended in 1986...

"[[The) 1976 Copyright Act expressly provides that these 'recaptured' copyrights belong to the author alone, which is plaintiff. Moreover, the 1976 Copyright Act precludes any transfer of those copyrights before the terminations themselves are effective. Thus, any transfer of such rights to any third party, whether defendant or a music publisher, was barred by the 1976 Copyright Act, and is therefore null and void."

Robinson, who has two children with his first wife, wed his current spouse, Frances, in 2004.
    Copyright WENN.com

http://www.wtva.com/entertainment/st...aIaRr8Zdg.cspx

Booooooo!!!!

Sounds pretty incredible.

That's low Smokey. That's low.

This is sad,I think he owes it to Claudette.

I'm not sure exactly what the retention of his copyrights has to do with her receiving money that comes from the period during which they were married.

It's not as though she's going to receive his copyrights, just her cut of the money from the royalties from these songs which were written & produced while they were married.

As his copyrights aren't the issue, this lawsuit puzzles me,

supremester Guest
    Smokey likes his money and there is a lot of money at stake right now: Motown:The Musical features many of his songs and will have four casts going at once. Lots of CDs sold, lots of music rights, lots of royalties. I love Smokey's work but the dude is money hungry - he sells his old stage costumes on his website for as low as $400 ...........
    Smokey and Berry are best friends and both will never get enough money it seems.

I understand he wrote the songs and probably hates sharing the money, but get over it. You are 74 and there is enough to pass on to your heirs - not to mention half the rights to the songs in question. The worst part of this is that they have kids together and Smokey is definitely harming the family dynamic.
    Shame on him.

Tacky, tacky, tacky.

When I hear things like this I always wonder what change ?? A new wife ? Girlfriend ? another child ?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    When I hear things like this I always wonder what change ?? A new wife ? Girlfriend ? another child ?
    Another facelift? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    New wife probably likes to spend a ton of money. And let's hope he doesn't get another brow lift... the first one looked like shit. Then again, most men look totally wrong with a brow lift.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 03-19-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    New wife probably likes to spend a ton of money. And let's hope he doesn't get another brow lift... the first one looked like shit. Then again, most men look totally wrong with a brow lift.
    A "brow lift"? Why would anyone need or want one? Wow, I live in LA and I've never even heard of such a thing. Amazing. He does look waxen, and his hair is too black. It looks more like shoe polish than a natural color.

Smokey calls himself a christian...

Smokey, Smokey, Smoke.......Ahemm......... hehehehehehehe.....

I guess there was just no way of keeping this out of the news. Well Uncle Smoke? LOL!!!!

Here's an interesting article:

http://celebchanges.com/smokey-robin...d-after-photo/

And is it just me, or has Smokey changed his eye color? I don't remember his eyes being that "light"? Clearly they're contacts.....but speaking of "light"; doesn't his skin look lighter too?

What's wrong with a man just aging gracefully? Look at Kenny Rogers and Bruce Jenner. Yuk.

He's had several face lifts, clearly wearing contacts, has veneers, etc. I don't know who he's fooling. I think he would have looked better without all of the plastic surgery, veneers, etc. Should have just aged naturally. Would have looked better.

Seems to me that Smokey's attempts of "going to a go go," are sadly taking him to a gone, gone!

thomas96 Guest
    After all this time he still wants to sue her? Really? It's not like he's strapped for dough or anything... Losing a bit of respect for Smoke because of this, whether he's right or wrong..

"More Love" will never have the same appeal

Have we ever been so united as a group in feeling a real distaste for something?

He's coming across as a cheap son of a gun.

This is messy divorce drama. It is really none of our business. I'm curious, how many men here who were married, or divorced, or have had to pay a woman money for things you earned from your talents, because you were married at the time? Usually in life, the men are on the mans side, and women are on the woman's side. I don't think I have ever known, or read about a divorce where men are all about "give that woman some money and don't put up a fight". I find this interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    This is messy divorce drama. It is really none of our business. I'm curious, how many men here who were married, or divorced, or have had to pay a woman money for things you earned from your talents, because you were married at the time? Usually in life, the men are on the mans side, and women are on the woman's side. I don't think I have ever known, or read about a divorce where men are all about "give that woman some money and don't put up a fight". I find this interesting.
    the way the article is written doesnt look real good for Smokey but theres two sides to every story.

Roberta

Roberta

Lightbulb

It's hard to take his side when he's the one who cheated on her and filed for divorce. How could anyone cheat on Claudette? She has always been beautiful, charming, and classy.

Aside from "More Love," I wonder how many of those love songs he wrote she served as the inspiration for.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It's hard to take his side when he's the one who cheated on her and filed for divorce. How could anyone cheat on Claudette? She has always been beautiful, charming, and classy.

Aside from "More Love," I wonder how many of those love songs he wrote she served as the inspiration for.
    "How could anyone cheat on Claudette? She has always been beautiful, charming, and classy"

In public she is. We dont personally know these folks like they friends of ours we know the public persona. Im sure Claudette is real sweet and lovely but you and i dont know what happen behind closed doors. Thats all Im saying bradsupremes.

Best to you.

Roberta

I totally agree with Roberta. You only know what went on with Smokey & Claudette and their marriage if you ARE Smokey & Claudette. Who knows who's nice and who did what to whom and how much he had to pay and who got ripped. Generally the men pay and while there was a bias in favor of the male in the 60's and 70's that bias has absolutely shifted to the female in the last 20 years ~ I'm talking legal bias.

But Smokey hasn't really helped himself much in recent years. That constant playing with his face is the biggest mess since Michael Jackson did his face. And I believe Smokey continually resists being labelled an oldies artist. He's old; he should age with grace and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    "How could anyone cheat on Claudette? She has always been beautiful, charming, and classy"

In public she is. We dont personally know these folks like they friends of ours we know the public persona. Im sure Claudette is real sweet and lovely but you and i dont know what happen behind closed doors. Thats all Im saying bradsupremes.

Best to you.

Roberta
    In the 55 -56 years since Claudette came to prominence with the Miracles I nor you have ever heard anyone say anthing negative about her. She's never been arrested or showed her ass out in public. If she is that much different from how she appears in public and in private with others that really know her, then she is the greatest actress of all time! Damn! The woman is as close to a saint I've ever heard of coming out of Detroit!

Roberta, give me one example of where Claudette Robinson was anything other than beautiful, charming and classy! Post an article or a news report ok?

Best to you.

Roberta
    Roberta
    Smokey was pretty fourth coming in his book regarding his life with Claudette. I believe that if he had an issue with her for being a not so nice lady he would have mention it. I have never heard or read anything about the Real First Lady of Motown, "Claudette Robinson" that would suggest that Claudeete was less than nice. We all have our days but I'm sure Claudettes's didn't amount to this crazy lawsuit brought on by Smokey, very disappointed in Smokey.
    Last edited by rod_rick; 03-19-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In the 55 -56 years since Claudette came to prominence with the Miracles I nor you have ever heard anyone say anthing negative about her. She's never been arrested or showed her ass out in public. If she is that much different from how she appears in public and in private with others that really know her, then she is the greatest actress of all time! Damn! The woman is as close to a saint I've ever heard of coming out of Detroit!

Roberta, give me one example of where Claudette Robinson was anything other than beautiful, charming and classy! Post an article or a news report ok?
    I never said she wasnt beautiful, charming and classy what i said was theres two sides to every story and we dont know the private lady only the public persona. As usual you cant answer civilly unless its your lovely luke

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Roberta
    Smokey was pretty fourth coming in his book regarding his life with Claudette. I believe that if he had an issue with her for being a not so nice lady he would have mention it. I have never heard or read anything about the Real First Lady of Motown, "Claudette Robinson" that would suggest that Claudeete was less than nice. We all have our days but I'm sure Claudettes's didn't amount to this crazy lawsuit brought on by Smokey, very disappointed in Smokey.
    Im sure she is real sweet and lovely rod-rick im just saying theres two side to every story regarding this laewsuit now granted the article dont do Smokey any favors but theres always two sides thats all.

Best to you.

Rioberta

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Roberta
    Smokey was pretty fourth coming in his book regarding his life with Claudette. I believe that if he had an issue with her for being a not so nice lady he would have mention it. I have never heard or read anything about the Real First Lady of Motown, "Claudette Robinson"
    Roberta or Jobeterob haven't either! Claudette Robinson has always been a Class AAA lady that many including myself love and respect. Love Smokey too and he has his reasons for doing this. It is just that many will not agree with his legal action against Claudette this late in the day.

And neither I or Roberta said we had Marv.

You are just being the usual lout you are to suggest such a thing.

All she suggested is that in a marriage, no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors. I'm sure that is something you would know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And neither I or Roberta said we had Marv.

You are just being the usual lout you are to suggest such a thing.

All she suggested is that in a marriage, no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors. I'm sure that is something you would know nothing about.
    Ignore him dear and pray for him. Hes real unhappy and craving attention. He need our prayers.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

And is it just me, or has Smokey changed his eye color? I don't remember his eyes being that "light"? Clearly they're contacts.....but speaking of "light"; doesn't his skin look lighter too?
    People's eye color can get lighter as they age. Also, when Black people stay inside, they also tend to be of lighter skin color. His eyes have always been green.

My mother had blue eyes, and it became more obvious as she aged.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Most U.S. laws work against single women, but the male gets the shaft if he gets a divorce. The laws on the books are old and archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    People's eye color can get lighter as they age. Also, when Black people stay inside, they also tend to be of lighter skin color. His eyes have always been green.

stage makeup and stage lights make you look a lot lighter as well.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

That is true Soulster. My father's were violent and became slightly lighter in color as he got older. Skin color changes with exposure to the sun. But would shouldn't talk about this subject. About a year ago some people on here with bananas when the question of skin bleaching come up.

I would like to know if claudette had a hand in writing those songs mentioned in the lawsuit. or is this part of a married property claudette is rightfully entitled to since they were married during this time. One dozen roses down the drain,. The love I saw was just a mirage, is a song claudette c sing now, hell her voice is heard on bkgd on most f their hits. Smokey robinson a legend will this tarnish
    Him up in smoke?

stage makeup and stage lights make you look a lot lighter as well.

Roberta
    Definitely!

That is true Soulster. My father's were violent and became slightly lighter in color as he got older. Skin color changes with exposure to the sun. But would shouldn't talk about this subject. About a year ago some people on here with bananas when the question of skin bleaching come up.
    I don't know why it shouldn't be discussed. There is a sad history of it here in America because of racism and ignorance, but there can't be very many people left who would still bleach their skin to try to "pass". It's in our American history, so let's deal with it.

Your father was violent or he had violet eyes?

what i wanna know is ... did claudette get a part of smokey's songwriting royalties as part of the divorce settlement?

supremester Guest
    Probably both - it would explain a lot.

Your father was violent or he had violet eyes?

supremester Guest
    I saw Smokey and talked to him at The Motown Musical. He looks like the bastard child of Bela Lugosi, Richard Pryor and Mable Albertson after sitting on a knitting needle. It appears he prefers to take pictures with girls in their 20's than aging whatever I am.
    The rights to these songs are worth untold millions..........
    I totally agree with Roberta. You only know what went on with Smokey & Claudette and their marriage if you ARE Smokey & Claudette. Who knows who's nice and who did what to whom and how much he had to pay and who got ripped. Generally the men pay and while there was a bias in favor of the male in the 60's and 70's that bias has absolutely shifted to the female in the last 20 years ~ I'm talking legal bias.

But Smokey hasn't really helped himself much in recent years. That constant playing with his face is the biggest mess since Michael Jackson did his face. And I believe Smokey continually resists being labelled an oldies artist. He's old; he should age with grace and relax.

I sat down to watch the concert in Hyde Park last night........what I saw looked like a freak show... it lasted 5 minutes.....couldn't watch it after that.

He's always been my favourite writer and producer...it was probably his songs/productions that made me dig deeper into Motown than most others would do. [[for which I an so grateful).
    I was so disappointed with his book...rubbish, trashy...I was expecting so much from the man behind the legend. I never saw him in the same light......my fault I guess , but he SEEMED so different to other music figures.

I will remember him as a great songwriter and producer...hope I can remove the image I saw last night when I play some music.
    Last edited by snakepit; 03-20-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Smoke is a classic case of "do as I say, not as I do".

A few years back he was on tv crying about how "Dreamgirls" was stealing from Motown.

Yet he has no qualms about ripping his baby mama off.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I sat down to watch the concert in Hyde Park last night........what I saw looked like a freak show... it lasted 5 minutes.....couldn't watch it after that.

He's always been my favourite writer and producer...it was probably his songs/productions that made me dig deeper into Motown than most others would do. [[for which I an so grateful).
    I was so disappointed with his book...rubbish, trashy...I was expecting so much from the man behind the legend. I never saw him in the same light......my fault I guess , but he SEEMED so different to other music figures.

I will remember him as a great songwriter and producer...hope I can remove the image I saw last night when I play some music.
    Snakepit, you saw Smokey in concert last night? or was this a concert on video?

It was shown on SKY Arts tv channel in the UK...last Saturday. I recorded the show, and watched ...or tried....whilst avoiding a football game that I wanted to watch later, without knowing the score!
    I couldn't watch Smokey after the first 5 minutes or so....so switched to a recorded documentary about the First World War...

Re Smokey...
    some years ago, when I was writing a Motown Column for a fanzine, I tried to meet Smokey at one of his concerts. As I say, he was my favourite.
    I was hoping to perhaps get a limited 'interview' or informal chat about his Motown "inside" story. I had all my album covers for potential signature.
    When he arrived, sheltered by the usual muscle, it was clear that I wasn't in with a chance. However, my albums did get taken into him, and were returned about 30 minutes later. The "Muscle" told me "Smokey wants to know why you are not watching the show" [[i.e. the warm up act.....an unknown to me).
    I was disappointed not to meet the great man.
    I wonder if that non- meeting was a blessing in disguise...

ps. the albums were signed by Smokey, but he got the wrong message about my wife's name.....he signed them to the name of a former girlfriend...
    not my best moment
    Last edited by snakepit; 03-20-2014 at 01:46 PM.

[QUOTE=snakepit;217716

ps. the albums were signed by Smokey, but he got the wrong message about my wife's name.....he signed them to the name of a former girlfriend...
    not my best moment [/QUOTE]

How would Smokey know the name of your former girlfriend? Or was it just an odd coincidence that Smokey hear the name incorrectly? Is there a similarity between your wife and your former girlfriend's first names?

supremester Guest
    I've spoken to Smokey 4 times. Once in the 80's, 90's, and twice last year. Everytime I got the feeling he was avoiding the plague while talking to me. I've talked to most of my heroes at Motown and beyond - Ross, Gordy, Martha, all Supremes except Susaye - all were warm, gracious and kind - except Smokey but I still love his work.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I've spoken to Smokey 4 times. Once in the 80's, 90's, and twice last year. Everytime I got the feeling he was avoiding the plague while talking to me. I've talked to most of my heroes at Motown and beyond - Ross, Gordy, Martha, all Supremes except Susaye - all were warm, gracious and kind - except Smokey but I still love his work.
    I met Mr Smokey Robinson in Las Vegas a few years ago and he was real nice to me and real attentive and kind and sweet. The nices Motown superstar ive ever met has to be the First lady of Motown records Dr Martha Reeves. Shes always real sweet to me and she send me a beautiful oversize autographed photo of her that say that is in the middle of my motown wall at home. Miss Reeves is a true lady and a kind and sweet and decent humanatraian.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta