[REMOVE ADS]

The "MarveLLettes"

I guess they're still at it. Dont the real Marvelettes own at least part of the name now? http://mediafiveent.com/archive/viewprofile.php?id=119
    Last edited by luke; 03-17-2014 at 10:56 AM.

What's striking about this garbage photo is that it's supposedly an autograph but doesn't even have the "members" names. Those girls weren't even alive in the 60s! What a farce!

I wonder if this group of "MarveLLettes" is even together any more? Looks like the photograph was signed sometime in the 70's.

It's tough to tell, but is this truly a James Kiegsmann photo? Perhaps it's made to look like it is? He sure did capture a lot of famous celebrities in the 50's and 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder if this group of "MarveLLettes" is even together any more? Looks like the photograph was signed sometime in the 70's.

It's tough to tell, but is this truly a James Kiegsmann photo? Perhaps it's made to look like it is? He sure did capture a lot of famous celebrities in the 50's and 60's.
    Wow, sharp eye, MaryBrewster! I hadn't noticed that. It certainly is his logo.

To the best of my knowledge, no original Marvelettes have any ownership of the name. According to legend, Gordy lost that in a card game not long after the original group disbanded and it's legally owned by someone whose name I can't recall, but who created several different groupings [[not concurrently, I think, but in succession). These gals pictured are not the same ones I've seen a couple of times on oldies shows, and who have claimed to be the legal [[but by no means the rightful) users of the name. Having them sit for Kriegsman, with the trademark pillar, was a shrewd if sneaky move.
    Last edited by BigAl; 03-17-2014 at 01:55 PM.

supremester Guest
    I saw The Marvelettes with Mary Wilson & The Supremes and The Temptations in Vegas 20 years ago. The Marvelettes were in their 20's and reminisced onstage about recording Postman.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I saw The Marvelettes with Mary Wilson & The Supremes and The Temptations in Vegas 20 years ago. The Marvelettes were in their 20's and reminisced onstage about recording Postman.
    Surely you mean Mary and her background singers and not the Supremes unless Cindy or Lynda or Barbara or Jean or Sherrie or Susaye was with her.

If I was a betting woman id say Mary Wilson wasnt real happy to be on the same bill as some 20 year old Marvelettes. Marys real clear about not appearing without actual members of the groups.

Roberta

Last year Katherine Schaffner said an agreement was being finalized or was finalized per the name. Not sure of details. I seem to remember the original ladies were going to share in the revenue of the use of the name, but Im not positive.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Last year Katherine Schaffner said an agreement was being finalized or was finalized per the name. Not sure of details. I seem to remember the original ladies were going to share in the revenue of the use of the name, but Im not positive.
    I remember hearing the same thing Luke. You got me itching to call Kat now...... hehehehehehehe.........

That is how I remember it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, no original Marvelettes have any ownership of the name. According to legend, Gordy lost that in a card game not long after the original group disbanded and it's legally owned by someone whose name I can't recall, but who created several different groupings [[not concurrently, I think, but in succession). These gals pictured are not the same ones I've seen a couple of times on oldies shows, and who have claimed to be the legal [[but by no means the rightful) users of the name. Having them sit for Kriegsman, with the trademark pillar, was a shrewd if sneaky move.

thomas96 Guest
    Such a disgrace.

The Marvelettes Name Settlement
    I received an email, forwarded to me via a dear friend, and the email
    is from Jon "Bowser" Bauman, chairman of Truth in Music Committee
    of the Vocal Group Hall of Fame. This email is 11/28/12.

This is not the entire email, however:

The way has been cleared in a court settlement for Katherine Anderson
    Schaffner and the Estate of Gladys Horton to register the name
    "The Marvelettes" on the basis of their superior rights in relation to
    longtime claimant and imposter group purveyor Larry Marshak.
    Marshak can now call his "product" "A TRIBUTE TO THE MARVELETTES",
    all in the same size type font, or my favorite, "Larry Marshak's Tribute
    to the Marvelettes", in which case "Larry Marshak's Tribute" has to be
    at least 75% the size of "the Marvelettes". There is also some financial
    consideration involved.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The Marvelettes Name Settlement
    I received an email, forwarded to me via a dear friend, and the email
    is from Jon "Bowser" Bauman, chairman of Truth in Music Committee
    of the Vocal Group Hall of Fame. This email is 11/28/12.

This is not the entire email, however:

The way has been cleared in a court settlement for Katherine Anderson
    Schaffner and the Estate of Gladys Horton to register the name
    "The Marvelettes" on the basis of their superior rights in relation to
    longtime claimant and imposter group purveyor Larry Marshak.
    Marshak can now call his "product" "A TRIBUTE TO THE MARVELETTES",
    all in the same size type font, or my favorite, "Larry Marshak's Tribute
    to the Marvelettes", in which case "Larry Marshak's Tribute" has to be
    at least 75% the size of "the Marvelettes". There is also some financial
    consideration involved.
    Now there you go Luke! Thanks. I knew I read something about this subject fairly recently. Now I don't have to call Kat! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Surely you mean Mary and her background singers and not the Supremes unless Cindy or Lynda or Barbara or Jean or Sherrie or Susaye was with her.

If I was a betting woman id say Mary Wilson wasnt real happy to be on the same bill as some 20 year old Marvelettes. Marys real clear about not appearing without actual members of the groups.

Roberta
    Roberta I saw Mary back in the 90's she headlined a girl-group show with the Dixie Cups, Doris Jackson's Shirelles with Fanita James and Gloria Jones and some bootleg Marvelettes. Mary gushed over the Shirelles and Dixe Cups but made it a point not to Mention the bootleg Marvellets, it was real obvious .

Some years ago I went to an oldies show which Martha & The Vandellas [[Nettie & Roz) were headlining. On the bill were the bogus Marvelettes and some bogus Shangri Las. Martha invited me to a party afterward at a local club and I sat at their table with them. Not a single "Marvelette" or "Shangri La" would even LOOK at Martha, let alone converse with her. She had made it quite clear to everyone involved with the show that she would not deal on any level with the impostors. It must be terrible to have to share a bill with people for whom you have no respect, but a buck is a buck and a living must be made, so artists like Martha and Mary just have to suck it up and go out there, but that doesn't mean they have to acknowledge these impostors, and they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Roberta I saw Mary back in the 90's she headlined a girl-group show with the Dixie Cups, Doris Jackson's Shirelles with Fanita James and Gloria Jones and some bootleg Marvelettes. Mary gushed over the Shirelles and Dixe Cups but made it a point not to Mention the bootleg Marvellets, it was real obvious .
    Thats good rod-rick its just a shame that Mary have to work with these imposters cause I know it really bother her.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Some years ago I went to an oldies show which Martha & The Vandellas [[Nettie & Roz) were headlining. On the bill were the bogus Marvelettes and some bogus Shangri Las. Martha invited me to a party afterward at a local club and I sat at their table with them. Not a single "Marvelette" or "Shangri La" would even LOOK at Martha, let alone converse with her. She had made it quite clear to everyone involved with the show that she would not deal on any level with the impostors. It must be terrible to have to share a bill with people for whom you have no respect, but a buck is a buck and a living must be made, so artists like Martha and Mary just have to suck it up and go out there, but that doesn't mean they have to acknowledge these impostors, and they don't.
    It warms my heart to read this BigAL. The fiorst Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha reeves is a lady and a decent and fair and kind woman as well. Im real glad Miss Reeves has taken a firm stand against these imposters. Poor Gladys horton.

Roberta

When I was in law school, I wrote an article called "The Great Pretenders" about the practice of presenting these bogus musical groups and sent it to Mary Wilson after communicating with her. I heard later that she had an anti-impostor clause in her appearance contracts whereby, if a group didn't contain at least one original member, she did not have to fulfill her duties under the contract. Good for her!

If anyone wants a copy of the old article, send me an email and I'll send it to you. My compadre Jobeterob read it a couple years ago after I had tried to post it on SDF but couldn't due to size constraints. He seemed to feel it was well written.

It's an old photo that's been around for years. The logo has just been added to make it look authentic. BTW despite being called the MarvelLettes they signed the photo Marvelettes!

Ken: We should try and post your article again if you have it. I bet we could break it up and post it.

As time goes on and the Internet evolves, we all become more worldly, educated and understanding and your article was good and would be good reading for our posters.

It warms my heart to read this BigAL. The fiorst Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha reeves is a lady and a decent and fair and kind woman as well. Im real glad Miss Reeves has taken a firm stand against these imposters. Poor Gladys horton.

Roberta
    I wouldnt say poor gladys horton I would say Gladys Horton the originator of the Marvelettes legacy. She was t frontrunner of t group, and that will never change. Gladys horton I salute u and I hope ur estste as well as original member katherine an original member thru t end recover every penny, the marvelettes have been damaged by. I remember meeting catherine in ny when she csme to oversee a girl group show 11 or 2012 that never hsppened and to attend a marshak hearing so i need to call her . Long live t original MARVELETTES.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I wouldnt say poor gladys horton I would say Gladys Horton the originator of the Marvelettes legacy. She was t frontrunner of t group, and that will never change. Gladys horton I salute u and I hope ur estste as well as original member katherine an original member thru t end recover every penny, the marvelettes have been damaged by. I remember meeting catherine in ny when she csme to oversee a girl group show 11 or 2012 that never hsppened and to attend a marshak hearing so i need to call her . Long live t original MARVELETTES.
    Poor Gladys Horton spent a good part of her life fighting the fakes and the right to use the name of her group so in that contex yes Poor Gladys. Perhaps you could ask Kat next time you call her or Vaughen Thornton next time you send him a message on FaceBook if the estates got the money they deserve.

Roberta

supremester Guest
    The Billing was The Temptations, Mary Wilson & The Supremes, The Marvelettes. I don't know who "the Supremes" were but they were NOT any Supremes I know. Ditto The Marvelettes: it WAS a disgrace.
    Personally, I don't have as much of an issue with Mary calling her trio "THe Supremes" but I do think Mary Wilson & The Supremes is misleading and should not be allowed as there is no original member in "The Supremes" and people may think they are getting more than one official Supreme.

Roberta

It seems we've been down this road before,in all motown group history the demise of the marvelettes is the saddest,so just put on your marvelettes songs and look at the photos of the real group..wanda,juanita,georgeanna,gladys,ann,katheri ne..and know that from[1961-please mr.postman]to[1969-that's how heartaches are made]some of the greatest soul came from the marvellous marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Ken: We should try and post your article again if you have it. I bet we could break it up and post it.

As time goes on and the Internet evolves, we all become more worldly, educated and understanding and your article was good and would be good reading for our posters.
    I will try and post it again. I only have a PDF of it; I hope it would be legible.

LOL @ "MarveLLettes". They must think we're stupid now.