[REMOVE ADS]

The aretha / patti battle

Saw this video on instagram and it spoke volumes about the relationship or lack of relationship that I've suspected has been between Aretha and Patti http://instagram.com/p/lYcPwNDYxT/# . I can even remember when Oprah had her 40th birthday party on her show some 20 years ago, both ladies were surprised guests and Aretha seemed somewhat short with Patti. Then one year on one of the award shows Patti sang the fool out of "Ain't No Way" during a tribute to Aretha and Aretha looked at her as if she was so not impressed. In fact, she sat in her seat and nodded her head as if to say "that was nice". Just wondering if there's some old beef between them. Personally it seemed sort on one sided but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Saw this video on instagram and it spoke volumes about the relationship or lack of relationship that I've suspected has been between Aretha and Patti http://instagram.com/p/lYcPwNDYxT/# . I can even remember when Oprah had her 40th birthday party on her show some 20 years ago, both ladies were surprised guests and Aretha seemed somewhat short with Patti. Then one year on one of the award shows Patti sang the fool out of "Ain't No Way" during a tribute to Aretha and Aretha looked at her as if she was so not impressed. In fact, she sat in her seat and nodded her head as if to say "that was nice". Just wondering if there's some old beef between them. Personally it seemed sort on one sided but who knows.
    glencro, whenever anyone pays tribute in song to the Queen in her presence, her expression is always thank you very much for coming....lol! The only time I saw Queen visibly moved was when Ruben Studdard sang "Gotta Find Me an Angel" and she tried hard to keep her composure but she cried and admitted the next day on Tom Joyner's show that Ruben messed her up..lol. But I must say that the Queen and Miss Patti showed out at the White House and both were in fine voice and looking quite beautiful.

I just finished the book on Aretha titled "Aretha Franklin The Queen of Soul." I remember reading that they couldn't stand being in the same room. I forgot the reason but Aretha was at odds with Diana and Martha Reeves at one time or another. I guess it's just "diva stuff."

That wasn't cool Aretha! LOL!!!

I'm not a big fan of Patti LaBelle. She does more screaming and yelling than singing to me. I'll take the Queen any day of the week.

David Ritz, the acclaimed music biographer writer has a new book on Aretha due out in November of 2014. Perhaps he will have an insight into the perceived Aretha/Patti White House slight to share with readers.

Ritz's previous Aretha Franklin bio, "From These Roots," published in 1999, was a dry, boring tome to say the least, and held back a lot, most like at Franklin's insistence. Hopefully as the Luther Vandross song he wrote for Miss Ree's album, Get It Right, this second attempt by Ritz does get it right!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 03-19-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Wait...you mean two divas don't get along?? I'm shocked!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Patti LaBelle. She does more screaming and yelling than singing to me. I'll take the Queen any day of the week.
    I tend to agree that Aretha had more control. Unfortunately, Aretha's voice has lost a great deal of range and power over the years. Patti still has a lot of that power, particularly in her upper range/head voice.

My take on this "battle" is that it's much ado about nothing.

For one thing, if you look at this clip, you'll see Aretha walking out & looking around that room as everyone applauds. She taking the equivalent of a victory lap & isn't focusing on any one individual.

Now if you've ever observed her, you understand completely that she takes her title "Queen OF Soul" quite seriously & as we saw with the whole hub bub when Michelle Obama dared to embrace royalty, you DON'T touch royalty, especially if they haven't initiated it.

Notice that as she was basking in the applause NO ONE attempted to touch her. I don't believe that it was so much a matter of her "throwing shade", as it was "This is my moment, I'm getting my adulation from my loving subjects, so let me keep the spotlight on me & I'll talk with you later".

Now what I can tell you from personal experience is that touching Aretha in ANY way without her reaching out to you first is a NO NO & I mean, A NO-NO! And if you've ever been backstage & have observed the happenings, you'd know what I mean.

I've met hundreds of our artists over the years & each & every one of them have tended to do something to make that picture more personal. Either they lightly touch you, put their hand or arm on your shoulder, or even put their hand around your waist. But when I took a picture with Aretha, I instinctively did what all of the artists I've met did & put my hand on her shoulder. A handler politely slapped my hand off of her shoulder & in a low but deadly serious voice said "Don't touch her!"

And notice that when you do see Aretha interacting, she usually extends HER hand to be shaken, like royalty. I don't recall seeing very many instances of warm & fuzzy hugs between her & anyone in recent years.

As I said, she takes that "Queen" thing VERY SERIOUSLY.

And what I don't see anyone speaking about on Facebook nor anywhere else for that matter, is two things...

1. As Aretha sang, Patti could CLEARLY be seen singing along with her & didn't seem to be shook, much less upset about the situation

and most importantly [[and I don't know why so many chose to overlook this)

2. After leaving the stage, upon her exit, she initiated a dialogue with Patti & actually can be hugging her just before the clip comes to an end.

I wanted to post the clip of the WHOLE CLIP that shows how this ended, but it seems to have been taken down from youtube.

I believe that it was more a case of Aretha basking in the spotlight & not wanting that moment to be interfered with by ANYONE, Patti or otherwise. From observing Aretha on the few occasions that I have stood next to her & observed, I believe that that would've been her response to anyone who put hands on her without her blessing it first.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-21-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Juicefree, I've seen Aretha in action a few times and what you described is the Aretha that I've witnessed for the most part. She is a very guarded woman and does not share her spot light. I even witnessed her tearing into BeBe Winans at a rehearsal when he started singing before she finished the last word of her line. She is definitely the queen and demands that respect. However, I've witnessed her body language on a few occasions while in the same room as Patti. When Rueben Studdard gave her that beautiful tribute a few years ago she cried and I can't remember if she stood or not. She stood to her feet in the middle of her recent tribute from Karen Clark Sheard. Patti's performance of "Ain't No Way" was pretty epic and Aretha's reaction [[and no I'm not a mind reader) was less than appreciative in my opinion.

supremester Guest
    In the BET Salute to Aretha a few weeks ago, Jennifer Hudson sang a tribute that, for the most part, equaled or bettered Aretha's originals and she looked none too pleased. Aretha is a complex woman who takes herself very seriously and I have the highest respect for her achievements, however she seems to have little regard for promoters and the like and some will not work with her again.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    My take on this "battle" is that it's much ado about nothing.

For one thing, if you look at this clip, you'll see Aretha walking out & looking around that room as everyone applauds. She taking the equivalent of a victory lap & isn't focusing on any one individual.

Now if you've ever observed her, you understand completely that she takes her title "Queen OF Soul" quite seriously & as we saw with the whole hub bub when Michelle Obama dared to embrace royalty, you DON'T touch royalty, especially if they haven't initiated it.

Notice that as she was basking in the applause NO ONE attempted to touch her. I don't believe that it was so much a matter of her "throwing shade", as it was "This is my moment, I'm getting my adulation from my loving subjects, so let me keep the spotlight on me & I'll talk with you later".

Now what I can tell you from personal experience is that touching Aretha in ANY way without her reaching out to you first is a NO NO & I mean, A NO-NO! And if you've ever been backstage & have observed the happenings, you'd know what I mean.

I've met hundreds of our artists over the years & each & every one of them have tended to do something to make that picture more personal. Either they lightly touch you, put their hand or arm on your shoulder, or even put their hand around your waist. But when I took a picture with Aretha, I instinctively did what all of the artists I've met did & put my hand on her shoulder. A handler politely slapped my hand off of her shoulder & in a low but deadly serious voice said "Don't touch her!"

And notice that when you do see Aretha interacting, she usually extends HER hand to be shaken, like royalty. I don't recall seeing very many instances of warm & fuzzy hugs between her & anyone in recent years.

As I said, she takes that "Queen" thing VERY SERIOUSLY.

And what I don't see anyone speaking about on Facebook nor anywhere else for that matter, is two things...

1. As Aretha sang, Patti could CLEARLY be seen singing along with her & didn't seem to be shook, much less upset about the situation

and most importantly [[and I don't know why so many chose to overlook this)

2. After leaving the stage, upon her exit, she initiated a dialogue with Patti & actually can be hugging her just before the clip comes to an end.

I wanted to post the clip of the WHOLE CLIP that shows how this ended, but it seems to have been taken down from youtube.

I believe that it was more a case of Aretha basking in the spotlight & not wanting that moment to be interfered with by ANYONE, Patti or otherwise. From observing Aretha on the few occasions that I have stood next to her & observed, I believe that that would've been her response to anyone who put hands on her without her blessing it first.
    Oh my... sounds like Ree Ree is a woman full of herself. Sorry, but she's just CALLED the queen, she isn't an actual queen, with a tiara of diamonds, so I'd have been moritifed at the handler saying "Don't touch her". Glad I'm not a fan! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Oh my... sounds like Ree Ree is a woman full of herself. Sorry, but she's just CALLED the queen, she isn't an actual queen, with a tiara of diamonds, so I'd have been moritifed at the handler saying "Don't touch her". Glad I'm not a fan! LOL
    I was a little girl, but recall my mother referring to Dinah Washington as the queen and from my readings about Ms. Washington, she took the title seriously too!

Queens should be gracious with their admirers. She was brought up in church so she should know that her actions of being above are self serving and a person serving themselves get their rewards down here but will have nothing stored in heaven.
    Last edited by mr_june; 03-24-2014 at 09:25 AM.

I've always been turned off by overly-inflated egos. That is why for years I couldn't stand Aretha or Patti. Love their voices, but the whole prima donna attitude really hocks me off...