[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think it's still good and I think we should all support and buy it. In the next 10 years, almost all these artists will stop performing and several of them won't be here. Take whatever we can get and support them in every way ~ physical CD, digital CD, attend the concert and stand up to the naysayers.
    Rob,

I feel that each person will decide whether he or she will purchase some/all of the tracks/booklet. It's our individual right.
    But I'm not sure what possessed you to call for anyone to "stand up to the naysayers". Who are the naysayers? Those who exercise their right to hold out for a physical product? No one can stop anyone from choosing to/not to purchase the work in the fashion in which it is being offered.
    And, by "support the concert" may I assume that you mean Diana's? [[although I hope that you really mean support any [[former Motown) Supreme in performance.

Downloads do seem to be the way forward - but not to my own way of thinking, at least at the present time - and for the same reasons as given in the posts above.

If it's true that the transient mass market really prefers downloads, then CDs could still be manufactured in short runs, but considered as a souvenir product,and marketed to the memory keepers, such as all the good people here.

There are probably many copyright, royalty and legal issues precluding it, but it's still good to hope that artists like Diana Ross could have certain of her CDs in short runs made available to purchase at her concerts, or through her own website, and at premium prices if signed or personally dedicated.

It would be in Diana Ross' own interests, she would be directly addressing her own market, the costs [[wholly or partially) might perhaps be set against the advertising budget for the shows- and no-one can sell Diana Ross discs better than the lady herself.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Can we take a step back and take a few deep breaths and try to find a silver lining here? At this point, we have gone quite a while without any Supremes releases period. The fact that we are getting, by all accounts, the poorest selling Supremes album issued in any format is a blessing because I'm fairly certain the higher ups at Universal have probably shot this album down for decades because it didn't sell. We've also been fortunate to have Andy, George, and Harry constantly trying to get us these releases out there or at least putting key tracks from them onto compilations to tide us over until we can get the real deal. I'm sure it can get very discouraging at times for them. The reality of today is that society as a whole is consuming music in a far different way than they once did. The only growth market left in physical media is now vinyl records. I prefer physical formats as much as the next guy but I have friends who say why take up space or money with music when you can just stream it. We can fight change but alas change is a constant thing in life. Now where is the silver lining? If this only comes out digitally perhaps we will later get it physically as part of something bigger and better. The long rumored box of the concept albums perhaps? It would be a perfect opportunity. My appeal would be to download the set, enjoy the digital booklet, get it printed on high gloss paper at Staples, burn a disc, and stick them in a jewel case and be patient. The guys always make it worth the wait to do so and the overall sales of Supremes product show the label the level of passion there is to keep getting things out of the vault. The bean counters read lack of sales as lack of interest in any format. Also, another country like Japan who put out Partners may note its sales success and issue it. Lets try being gracious that we are getting something long awaited and enjoy the positive aspects of that rather than dwell on not being able to hold it in our hands.....
    A voice of reason. While I would prefer a physical release, i will still buy the digital release and see no problem with having one, its better than having nothing at all.

For some people it may be better than having nothing. I can just as well play [[and rip) my LP...

Album sales are at an all time low - yet albums still generally sell more on physical formats than downloads. And there are several companies releasing [[on CD) old albums with artists that have much lesser general appeal than Diana/The Supremes [[Pia Zadora, Samantha Fox etc). Why Motown, which has already started a fantastic series with HipO can't continue to do so is beyond me.

i just noticed something quite interesting at the Ace website

http://acerecords.co.uk/home

under the "Coming soon- Preorder now" section.

A work by Otis Span and one by T-Bone Walker will be available as either a cd or mp3 download.
    And the 3 Detroit Emeralds mp3's have been available as cd's on the Westbound label.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-27-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Andy has posted on Facebook that he is PLANNING that the next releases will be physical.
    Part of me suspects that Andy, George & Harry had planned Funny Girl as a physical release, but were over-ruled. I wonder if at one point they were led to believe that Funny Girl was going to be a physical release. I guess we'll never know.
    Perhaps the ruling powers [[or even Barbara, herself- perish the thought) did not want a physical product competing with the 50th Anniversary Edition of [[Broadway) Funny Girl.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.

When I saw this thread I was so excited and then the download and I was let down. I am standing with the people on this board there are enough fans who would buy this. For instance there are TONS of people including myself who are looking for This is the Story!

Forget the fact that Funny Girl didnt sell then. So many books have been written and with the interest in the Supremes again [[especially Florence) there are many who want these albums and booklets on CD. We fans have been protesting and there are much younger people out there due to the Beyonce and Dreamgirl Phenomenon more people are looking into these things. Billie Holliday for example due to Lady Sings the Blues people were looking into a figure that some people never bought a CD on. Maybe its the fan in me but I think Funny Girl on CD would sell well like the other CDs.

Hooray for having a booklet!

Taborelli clearly stated CDs. There's no need to make up anything because he said that he was involved. And as a writer, sure, he could do digital liner notes but Motown/Universal knows that this has collector's appeal. Fans have been asking for this one for far too long.

They also need to schedule a dual "T.C.B./G.I.T." release. All Music says that "T.C.B." Doesn't hold up well, but, it is on my iPod in the shuffle mode and I enjoy it when it comes on. I've never cared for "G.I.T. as much. But since the fantasy of a DVD seems unfathomable ..........I would at least like the music. I bought "T.C.B." as a two-offer when it came out in the 80s. I love the covers medley and most of The Temptations cuts with Paul Williams stealing the show with his gut wrenching "For Once in My Life". It is especially profound to know he committed suicide just months after this noteworthy performance.

I suspect the reason Hip-O Select has been nearly inactive is that the new regime Barry Weiss and the former BMG team were probably evaluating its profitability. When we fail to buy those limited editions, it jeopardizes the chances of Hip-O being extended budgets. And Barry Weiss, when he headed up Jive, was always pretty conservative with budgets.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 03-27-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Need to make additional points

smark21 Guest
    I thought Paul Williams died in 71--if so, that would be a couple of years after TCB, not "months".

There are albums which didn't sell much in its initial release that have been re-issued as physical re-releases. But I suspect many of them had artistic qualifications/credibility to justify such a release. I'm not sure DRATS Funny Girl could pass that test [[beyond the die hard fans) as IMO, it's the most commercially crass and creatively bankrupt album released in the career[[s) of Diana Ross/The Supremes. It boggles my mind Berry and Motown would have their top act record and release a project to cash in on the publicity of the Funny Girl movie and the popularity of the show. Times were different then.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I thought Paul Williams died in 71--if so, that would be a couple of years after TCB, not "months".

There are albums which didn't sell much in its initial release that have been re-issued as physical re-releases. But I suspect many of them had artistic qualifications/credibility to justify such a release. I'm not sure DRATS Funny Girl could pass that test [[beyond the die hard fans) as IMO, it's the most commercially crass and creatively bankrupt album released in the career[[s) of Diana Ross/The Supremes. It boggles my mind Berry and Motown would have their top act record and release a project to cash in on the publicity of the Funny Girl movie and the popularity of the show. Times were different then.

You may be right. I didn't verify it before I wrote it. Maybe the better thing to say is the soulful wrenching performance was even more powerful when you heard of his tragic ending.
    honestly, as a fan of the "Funny Girl" album....all I know is I loved the album and I also own nearly all of Streisand's albums. You already stated your NOT a fan, so it wasn't made for you as Snoop Dogg often says. So I really only care what I think at the end of the day. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But I think Diana competed quite well with Streisand. A few years later you would see just how much Diana emulated/admired Streisand. It was often said that is what part of her career was pattern after. For me, my opinion only, Diana could do Streisand but Streisand struggled doing Motown material. But there was room for both in my listening.

And I don't belong to the criticizing of Mr. Gordy Club. Without his vision, my musical life would be quite barren. So I don't spend time in the negative. I am a hardcore Motown fan and I would be remissed in not giving credit where credit is due. Some of the most important music men [[Clive Davis, David Geffen, etc.) were also very determined visionaries. I deeply admire the man. I feel blessed that I had the opportunity to tell him personally what he has meant to my life,
    Paul actually transitioned in 1973 so it was even longer than that. My point was the man revealed a deep, dark emotional performance that nearly stole the show.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 03-27-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Additional points

I couldn't be more disappointed.

With no offense to my friends Andy and George, if the attitude at Universal is, either it's digital download or nothing at all, they can go f*ck themselves.

Not supporting it, and not buying it.

Life ain't so funny, Funny Girl.

maybe we should wait to see what comes before we judge.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    maybe we should wait to see what comes before we judge.
    No wiser words have been spoken. Thank you.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 03-27-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Forgot a word

I stated here last year [[or was it the year before), when "Copa" and "Symphony" were released expanded, and everyone was moaning, I'm not buying this and I'm not buying that, I'm waiting for the other thing [[whatever), was that if you don't support the product as it's released, you ain't never gonna see the 'other thing', cos production will stop if sales stop..and guess what, moaners..that's what happened..

Jim,

Several of us , [[whom you're now affectionately terming "moaners) have posted on previous threads that we have bought all of the physical expanded Hip-O-Select Motown releases as they have been issued- so unless you think that we were all lying, your chastising generalization does not apply to a good many of us.
    Andy has mention that he is working on planned releases that he currently envisions being released as physical product- [[whether they come to be released as such will need to be proven, and I'm sure that's beyond Andy, George, or Harry's control) . So your statement that 'the other thing's production has stopped' is likely not correct. But only time will tell.

I am just curious ... When an album as well as THE BOOKLET are released as a download, how is the actual booklet presented? Is is several individual pages that you cut out one you print them? Since most of us cannot print front to back, it can't be like a a booklet that comes with a physical CD. I am trying to imagine the downloaded format.

Thuis is really not a FUNNY GIRL question ... but I'd love to know more. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I am just curious ... When an album as well as THE BOOKLET are released as a download, how is the actual booklet presented? Is is several individual pages that you cut out one you print them? Since most of us cannot print front to back, it can't be like a a booklet that comes with a physical CD. I am trying to imagine the downloaded format.

Thuis is really not a FUNNY GIRL question ... but I'd love to know more. Thanks!
    Look on iTunes. It comes with a digital booklet that you can either read online or print out. Digital only releases have no packaging or distribution and very little marketing costs, so they are significantly more cost effective.
    i am not crazy about digital booklets, but, its better than nothing. They are just not designed for collector's.
    check iTunes, nearly all Diana/The Supremes albums have been released including things like "Diana's Duets" and every possible compilation. It's quite impressive because even the old a Tower Record stores didn't have every release.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Look on iTunes. It comes with a digital booklet that you can either read online or print out. Digital only releases have no packaging or distribution and very little marketing costs, so they are significantly more cost effective.
    i am not crazy about digital booklets, but, its better than nothing. They are just not designed for collector's.
    check iTunes, nearly all Diana/The Supremes albums have been released including things like "Diana's Duets" and every possible compilation. It's quite impressive because even the old a Tower Record stores didn't have every release.
    I received a few iTunes gift cards from co-workers at holiday time and purchased both Eddie Kendricks/David Ruffin sets on iTunes and I found the cd sets insanely priced on Amazon and eBay. I also went ahead and got the Jackson 5 and Mary Wells Lost & Found sets, both with digital booklets. Here's a screencap of the Mary book:

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 11.46.20 PM.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  17.8 KB

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I received a few iTunes gift cards from co-workers at holiday time and purchased both Eddie Kendricks/David Ruffin sets on iTunes and I found the cd sets insanely priced on Amazon and eBay. I also went ahead and got the Jackson 5 and Mary Wells Lost & Found sets, both with digital booklets. Here's a screencap of the Mary book:

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 11.46.20 PM.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  17.8 KB
    Quality is much clearer. The screencap seems to have compressed the image file.

Thanks for reply, but I am not sure what you are saying about iTunes. Are you indicating that previous Diana albums that are available on iTunes have booklets that I can see?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Quality is much clearer. The screencap seems to have compressed the image file.
    So, Lulu, you print it out on paper and assemble a booklet ... but the pages are not front to back? Thanks for your assistance. I have long been curious about this.

Lulu Guest
    So, Lulu, you print it out on paper and assemble a booklet ... but the pages are not front to back? Thanks for your assistance. I have long been curious about this.
    It is a PDF file. Choose "booklet" from the "Page Size and Handling" option from the Print screen.

Well, I find this very disappointing. I'm sure they'll sell some but the kind of collectors interested in this material I doubt will warm up to the download offering.

Carole - you don't need to apologize. You just reported what you heard.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Rob,

I feel that each person will decide whether he or she will purchase some/all of the tracks/booklet. It's our individual right.
    But I'm not sure what possessed you to call for anyone to "stand up to the naysayers". Who are the naysayers? Those who exercise their right to hold out for a physical product? No one can stop anyone from choosing to/not to purchase the work in the fashion in which it is being offered.
    And, by "support the concert" may I assume that you mean Diana's? [[although I hope that you really mean support any [[former Motown) Supreme in performance.
    My apologies Carole; poorly written by me; I shouldn't do that at work.

The naysayers was a reference to Marv and his cohort or two that crap all over Diana and Lynda and sometimes Scherrie and Susaye.

And by all means, we should support all concerts by all Supremes and as much as possible support whatever is released.

I'm thinking I will burn Funny Girl, print the booklet and make my CD; yes, it won't be the same, but I'll still support it.

Thanks for reply, but I am not sure what you are saying about iTunes. Are you indicating that previous Diana albums that are available on iTunes have booklets that I can see?
    No, I'm simply stating almost any physical album that was released on Diana/The Supremes is now available as a digital download on iTunes [[including the many different compilations).
    digital booklets are usually available on new releases NOT catalog releases. If the physical album never had a booklet, of course, one is not made for the digital version. My general point is most of the Motown albums have been digitized.
    unfortunately, since Diana controls the rights to the RCA era albums, she has not given permission for those to be released in the states. However, the EMI versions are available in most of the other iTune stores in other countries except, mysteriously "Ross '83". That album has not been digitized anywhere. Are you clear now?

Why don't you buy one of your favorite albums that have a digital booklet and see if you like it. You can always create subfiles and store them there. The tactical experience is pretty much null and void since we are living in a digital world. A lot of people have not gotten use to storing their photos online and no longer have them developed. It's all apart of the new world order of digitized collecting.

Thank you, Bokiluis!

smark21 Guest
    In years past I remember reading how some of you complain about why it took so long for HIP-O to ship and deliver your orders. With download, you can get the music immediately, burn it to a CD [[only takes a couple of minutes max) and you have a digital booklet to peruse as well. I've no interest in buying the album, but if I did, I would have no problems with a download only project. I've bought other albums that way. And to give credit where it's due, the tracks I have heard from Funny Girl Diana Ross was in excellent voice for those sessions. Just too bad that something more creative wasn't conceptualized to take advantage of her flowering vocals of that era.

smark21 Guest
    You may be right. I didn't verify it before I wrote it. Maybe the better thing to say is the soulful wrenching performance was even more powerful when you heard of his tragic ending.
    honestly, as a fan of the "Funny Girl" album....all I know is I loved the album and I also own nearly all of Streisand's albums. You already stated your NOT a fan, so it wasn't made for you as Snoop Dogg often says. So I really only care what I think at the end of the day. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But I think Diana competed quite well with Streisand. A few years later you would see just how much Diana emulated/admired Streisand. It was often said that is what part of her career was pattern after. For me, my opinion only, Diana could do Streisand but Streisand struggled doing Motown material. But there was room for both in my listening.

And I don't belong to the criticizing of Mr. Gordy Club. Without his vision, my musical life would be quite barren. So I don't spend time in the negative. I am a hardcore Motown fan and I would be remissed in not giving credit where credit is due. Some of the most important music men [[Clive Davis, David Geffen, etc.) were also very determined visionaries. I deeply admire the man. I feel blessed that I had the opportunity to tell him personally what he has meant to my life,
    Paul actually transitioned in 1973 so it was even longer than that. My point was the man revealed a deep, dark emotional performance that nearly stole the show.
    By "transition" you mean died, right? Transition is such a silly term. Transition to what...food for worms and other species that exist 6 feet under?

Was that really a necessary comment, smark21? Someone writes eloquently and passionately about music we all love and that's what you choose to comment on? Can't we encourage more posts like Bokiluis' instead of mocking them?

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Was that really a necessary comment, smark21? Someone writes eloquently and passionately about music we all love and that's what you choose to comment on? Can't we encourage more posts like Bokiluis' instead of mocking them?
    That is often the way that poster responds.

Are we passing the collection plate to all go in together to download one copy?

Luckily, I don't have to consider buying the Barbra Streisand CD. I like 2 Streisand songs, The Way We Were and All in Love is Fair; and I don't know any others; oh right, the Donna Summer Song I live too, Enough is Enough.

I'm not sure I will like the Ross Funny Girl album much or play but then I only played a part of the Copa once and filed it!

Did I miss something? Even though this is a download release, is it an expanded edition or just the 10 original tracks?

Did I miss something? Even though this is a download release, is it an expanded edition or just the 10 original tracks?
    That has not yet been revealed. Andy Skurow is not allowed to publicly say much about it until he gets the green light to make an official announcement.

I know they just accidently revealed that Funny Girl will be out next month. me thinks there are bonus tracks but I am not positive .glad we [[hipo) seems to be up and running again.

Even if it is expanded I still wouldn't buy it as a download.

If they recorded from the original cast album, it could possibly be expanded to include:
    "I Want to Be Seen With You Tonight"
    "Henry Street"
    "Rat-a-Tat-Tat"
    "Who Are You Now"
    Or from the soundtrack:
    "I'd Rather Be Blue"
    "The Swan"
    Or the wonderful:
    "I'm the Greatest Star Medley" [[from the Diana Ross and The Supremes "Anthology")
    But since many of the songs that Fanny Brice sang were from the Great American Songbook, Motown/Universal has a number of choices.

If memory serves me right though, the album was recorded over the weekend, in 3 days or no more than a week in New York and possibly sweetened in Los Angeles....so time was rather limited IF they stay true to the actual release.

If they recorded from the original cast album, it could possibly be expanded to include:
    "I Want to Be Seen With You Tonight"
    "Henry Street"
    "Rat-a-Tat-Tat"
    "Who Are You Now"
    Or from the soundtrack:
    "I'd Rather Be Blue"
    "The Swan"
    Or the wonderful:
    "I'm the Greatest Star Medley" [[from the Diana Ross and The Supremes "Anthology")
    But since many of the songs that Fanny Brice sang were from the Great American Songbook, Motown/Universal has a number of choices.

If memory serves me right though, the album was recorded over the weekend, in 3 days or no more than a week in New York and possibly sweetened in Los Angeles....so time was rather limited IF they stay true to the actual release.

Purely speculation [[and dreaming), but wouldn't the inclusion of the DRATS Sing and Perform Disney Classics album be the ultimate "extra" for this project? I know this is a bit far-fetched, but the full To The Baby album was added to the Touch Me In The Morning expanded project. Dreaming...

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Luckily, I don't have to consider buying the Barbra Streisand CD. I like 2 Streisand songs, The Way We Were and All in Love is Fair; and I don't know any others; oh right, the Donna Summer Song I live too, Enough is Enough.

I'm not sure I will like the Ross Funny Girl album much or play but then I only played a part of the Copa once and filed it!
    Hellloooooo gorgeous!

You sir are missing out! I can compile a list of "primo" Babs recordings for you if you so desire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Purely speculation [[and dreaming), but wouldn't the inclusion of the DRATS Sing and Perform Disney Classics album be the ultimate "extra" for this project? I know this is a bit far-fetched, but the full To The Baby album was added to the Touch Me In The Morning expanded project. Dreaming...
    I agree. That would be a great pairing. I haven't been wild about the Disney songs that I've heard released over the years, but of course, being a collector, I would have to have it...

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree. That would be a great pairing. I haven't been wild about the Disney songs that I've heard released over the years, but of course, being a collector, I would have to have it...
    Ditto here on both points. The anticipation builds. Since the Universal team does follow this forum, this dialogue is good to have.

i had to buy multiple copies of "Touch Me in the Morning Expanded Edition" because "To the Baby" blows me away. Her rendition of "Got to be There" is as youthful and sparkling as Michael's. Unless, they haven't updated the Hip-O site, I am a little surprised that one hasn't soldout. I see it is still available at Amazon for a much more attractive $15.92. I wonder if they have had additional runs of some without telling us.

I would rather have a physical CD. I already collected the few CDs that were released throughout the years just because they had one of the Funny Girl songs on them.

But if this is the only way they're coming out, I will definitely download them.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Even if it is expanded I still wouldn't buy it as a download.
    I'm with you, djessie. There are plenty of sites on the internet where I can buy a high quality CDR of this release. And trust me, the fans will be sharing this like crazy.

I still buy CDs because I feel they still sound best. [[Just finally bought Marvin Gaye "At the Copa"). Because unless you convert Mp3s into the Lossless format, which takes up more storage space, you can never be sure how they sound on your home stereo speakers. But I honestly cannot remember the last time I played a CD.

I buy the CD, rip it into my digital music library, store the CD away and listen to my iPod.

RossHolloway Guest
    I still buy CDs because I feel they still sound best. [[Just finally bought Marvin Gaye "At the Copa"). Because unless you convert Mp3s into the Lossless format, which takes up more storage space, you can never be sure how they sound on your home stereo speakers. But I honestly cannot remember the last time I played a CD.

I buy the CD, rip it into my digital music library, store the CD away and listen to my iPod.
    I do the exact same thing. I rarely play physical cds.

supremester Guest
    Hey JBFJ!

What a great idea! Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl and Disney Classics - The Expanded Edition with added tracks:

Henry Street
    Rat-A-Tat-Tat*
    Who are You Now
    I'd Rather Be Blue
    When I See An Elephant Fly
    Baby Mine
    Pink Elephants On Parade
    One Love [[solo Mary Wilson)
    Feed The Birds
    He's A Tramp
    My, What A Lovely Day!

* Love to hear Miss Ross nail:

I'm Private Schvartz from Rock-a-vay,
    And I guess you hoird reports
    That the Kaiser runs a block a-vay
    Vhen da tell him, "Here comes Schvartz!"
    'Cause ven I get mad, believe it, Jack,
    Out from nowhere comes a maniac,
    A kick in the foot,
    A shot in the pants--
    I vouldn't give a second chance.
    Schvartz from Rock-a-way.
    Chorus:
    Private Schwartz
    Private Schwartz
    Private Schwartz from Rock-a-way.
    Fanny:
    I met Mademoiselle from Armentieres
    And my bagels gave a spin [[oy, yoy),
    She said, "Private Schvartz,
    Come closer, dear!"
    Vhat a tzimmis I got in!
    Ven you're fighting for democracy,
    Call on Irving Schvartz and company,
    I'm through and through
    Red, white and bluish,
    I talk this way
    Because I'm British.
    Tell Far Rock-a-way, "Don't pull the dock a-vay,
    'Cause sailing home is General Schvartz!"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

When things went quiet at Hip-O I had emailed Harry regarding this possible CD and A Go Go. Nothing. Before that I had always gotten a response including from Andrew and George. I could even tell how passionate they were about these projects. Then everything stops, whatever the reasons. Very disappointing. Regarding Funny Girl as a download...no thanks.

It seems evident that none of these releases aimed at collectors is going to be a million seller, but I guess compared to a physical product, a download offering is nearly a cash cow, even if the returns are modest. That's disappointing for a company like Hip-O to head in that direction, but I'm sure the gentlemen we know from the forum have little or nothing to say about that to the powers that be. I suppose to Universal selling 1,000, copies via download is just as good as [[eventually) selling 5,000, copies on a CD, because they have to invest so little in the digital offering and therefore have little or nothing to lose.

There will be a market for CDs for a long time to come. I mean, just look at how much vinyl is still being released. Many independent artists, and even many mainstream acts such as Justin Timberlake, Cher and others still release their albums on vinyl, though in quite limited quantities. I even belong to a record club - yes, a record club, as in vinyl - which releases an album a month from an up and coming independent band. The gimmick they use for marketing these releases is that everything is released on colored vinyl. The company that sells these is called Feedbands. It's fun to get the releases every month.

I wouldn't buy the "Funny Girl" unless it's a CD. I did buy the Workshop Jazz collections via download as that material is rare and was never released before. But I have the "Funny Girl" LP and have the capability to make an audiocassette or CD copy of it, so I would pass on the download of anything unless it's something very rare that I can't get any other way.