[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Diana Ross and The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl

Made ya look.....lol. Was just checking to see if there was an update from someone?

mean

i was gonna post an update i heard but now i won't!

hehehe

LOL.....awe come on.....

honest man Guest
    Would love Love Child,Let the Sunshine in,Cream of the Crop expanded with tracks in Chronological order ,then Disney just for the one DRATS song Chim CHIM chimeree i need to complete DRATS history ,cheers.

Yeah, they're weeks late on announcing it. Come on, guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Would love Love Child,Let the Sunshine in,Cream of the Crop expanded with tracks in Chronological order ,then Disney just for the one DRATS song Chim CHIM chimeree i need to complete DRATS history ,cheers.
    Does this mean that you already have "A Spoonful Of Sugar" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" then Andy?

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Does this mean that you already have "A Spoonful Of Sugar" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" then Andy?
    Hmm Roger ,that would be telling,check your inbox,cheers.

Perhaps the delay in announcement means they are considering a physical release?

A girl can dare to dream.....

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Perhaps the delay in announcement means they are considering a physical release?

A girl can dare to dream.....
    A guy can dare to dream also--I've been hoping the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    A guy can dare to dream also--I've been hoping the same thing!
    Can this guy dream too. Please, Please lets get a physical release. It is the only one that has never been released on cd before. Other than GIT.

Can this alien/human hybrid dream too. Through out the known Universe there is great disappointment that UMG may release "Funny Girl" as a digital download only. The only Supremes' studio album to meet such a tragic fate. Surely in this day and age there could be at least a limited CD release, along with the download. If the download goes for $9.99 I would be happy to pay $19.99 for a physical release. Think about it UMG. Please. And until this matter is resolved I suggest you UMG folks stay away from Orion, those guys are really pissed. Just saying.

Too bad that Motown would not outsource this to Ace or one if the other "approved" vendors in recent years. We could have had a great product!!!!

honest man Guest
    Originally Posted by JohnnyB

A guy
    can dare to dream also--I've been hoping the same thing! DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE.HA.Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Too bad that Motown would not outsource this to Ace or one if the other "approved" vendors in recent years. We could have had a great product!!!!
    I agree. We were lucky enough to get "Partners" by Scherrie and Susaye; if that can be released as a physical product, certainly "Funny Girl" could be as well. I don't think there's a lot of "extras" from that recording time-frame, so even a single-disc, direct release would be better than digital-only. The expanded booklet alone [[with Supremes timeline) would be well worth the price.

I just played my CD-R of this album and enjoyed it as much as I did when It was originally released. Although I only play it every couple of years, if even that often, I would like to have it on a physical CD.

Thanks George, Andy & Randy [[it even has a nice ring to it) .

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    What is said in the video? When I went to the site and tried to play it, nothing happened.

Thanks George, Andy & Randy [[it even has a nice ring to it) .
    It's coming out on CD?

It's coming out on CD?
    That's what the man said!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    What is said in the video? When I went to the site and tried to play it, nothing happened.
    Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl is scheduled for a cd release next month. Andy said on Nightflight that George Solomon had a lot to do with the then un-named release, that it was going to be fabulous and that they had just been given a release date.
    J. Randy Taraborelli said in the video that he was also involved with the release and said that it was coming out on cd next month.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-27-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks for the info!

Do you suppose CD means "physical" CD?

Good to get this information and looking forward to the release of Funny Girl. It'd be great if it was paired with 1 or 2 of the other concept LPs.

The interview with Taraborelli was good once he stopped promoting himself and actually talked about Diane.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Good to get this information and looking forward to the release of Funny Girl. It'd be great if it was paired with 1 or 2 of the other concept LPs.

The interview with Taraborelli was good once he stopped promoting himself and actually talked about Diane.
    He learned from Mary Wilson and other Motown artists as things died down for them ~ you need to go after "it" every chance you get and you hook on to whatever you have to hook on to.

Fantastic! I think Diana did a splendid job on "Sings and Performs "Funny Girl". I've lived off of a fairly decent sounding CDR made my one of the fans, but, now the real thing makes it to CD. Randy is an accomplished writer and I like several of his books. Thanks to Harry, George, Andy and Randy for fulfilling a dream for so many fans. Cannot wait......especially for the liner notes. Now if only they would add the wonderful Ed Sullivan medley as bonus video material like bonus video material is a trademark of the Sony Legacy reissues. But I'm grateful for the music regardless! I plan on buying several copies for my library.

I am very excited for this release. It's what the fans have been wanting for years! I always look so forward to the extensive liner notes and the never-seen-before pictures. I wonder if Mary was involved at all with this release?

Yes, absolutely. CD refers to the format; "album" refers to a collection. They would call it an MP3 album if it was meant for digital download only.

This is the most wonderful news . I guess they really did listen to the fans who wanted a physical release. I was kind of sad that it was going to be a digital release only. I am now very excited.

Thank you kenneth; and YES, I agree vgalindo! Our voices were heard, honey!

I personally would like to thank Harry for his reconsideration of format; especially with the 50th Anniversary of the original "Funny Girl" just around the corner, this title by DRATS absolutely deserves a proper release. Thank you Harry!

And of course Andy and George and Randy for their time and love put into this most "supreme' product!

Thank you kenneth; and YES, I agree vgalindo! Our voices were heard, honey!

I personally would like to thank Harry for his reconsideration of format; especially with the 50th Anniversary of the original "Funny Girl" just around the corner, this title by DRATS absolutely deserves a proper release. Thank you Harry!

And of course Andy and George and Randy for their time and love put into this most "supreme' product!
    Yes I would also like to thank them very much for this wonderful release. I am most grateful.

Andy said on facebook about an hour ago: Andy Skurow This is a digital only release, but there WILL BE A BOOKLET! Yes, I shouted that, because George Solomon is a genius for making one of our most beautiful packages ever! Now I'll stop talking because I'm waiting for next month's announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Andy said on facebook about an hour ago: Andy Skurow This is a digital only release, but there WILL BE A BOOKLET! Yes, I shouted that, because George Solomon is a genius for making one of our most beautiful packages ever! Now I'll stop talking because I'm waiting for next month's announcement.
    so NO CD then ??? Just a crappy download!! If thats the only format then i won't be buying it.
    Where does a download sit amongst the gorgeous previous Hipo Supremes releases on my shelves??

Physical CDs is what we collectors want!!

Christ if Scherrie & Susyaes Partners can get a physical CD release why can't the rest of DRATS albums.

Very disillusioned and somewhat disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    so NO CD then ??? Just a crappy download!! If thats the only format then i won't be buying it.
    Where does a download sit amongst the gorgeous previous Hipo Supremes releases on my shelves??

Physical CDs is what we collectors want!!

Christ if Scherrie & Susyaes Partners can get a physical CD release why can't the rest of DRATS albums.

Very disillusioned and somewhat disappointed
    I feel really sad and disappointed again!! I already have it as a CDR with cover work. I wanted studio quality. Oh well.

HipO has become a major disappointment. Follow the money....

I wish the people who represent them would cease leaking information. As said above, disappointment is now coupled with annoyance. Just because they were "great" once does not mean than fans don't now have the right to see them in a different light.

This is beyond disappointing! I have bought every Diana release over the years - all the HipO ones, every re-issue, every compilation - EVERYTHING!

But I am most certainly not going to by some digital download. I never have and I never, ever will. I COLLECT Diana Ross releases and have no interest in having some MP3 album on my computer [[or to burn on CD-R). I want an official CD release. If this is the future of how Diana/The Supremes releases are going to be handled in the future then I will pass.

BTW: I am 36 years old and I have been collecting music since I was a kid. I have over 200 Diana CD's and I am more than willing to buy at least 200 more. Just give the fans what they want - a strictly limited CD release can't be that hard to produce! Until then, sadly, no sale for me...

Can we take a step back and take a few deep breaths and try to find a silver lining here? At this point, we have gone quite a while without any Supremes releases period. The fact that we are getting, by all accounts, the poorest selling Supremes album issued in any format is a blessing because I'm fairly certain the higher ups at Universal have probably shot this album down for decades because it didn't sell. We've also been fortunate to have Andy, George, and Harry constantly trying to get us these releases out there or at least putting key tracks from them onto compilations to tide us over until we can get the real deal. I'm sure it can get very discouraging at times for them. The reality of today is that society as a whole is consuming music in a far different way than they once did. The only growth market left in physical media is now vinyl records. I prefer physical formats as much as the next guy but I have friends who say why take up space or money with music when you can just stream it. We can fight change but alas change is a constant thing in life. Now where is the silver lining? If this only comes out digitally perhaps we will later get it physically as part of something bigger and better. The long rumored box of the concept albums perhaps? It would be a perfect opportunity. My appeal would be to download the set, enjoy the digital booklet, get it printed on high gloss paper at Staples, burn a disc, and stick them in a jewel case and be patient. The guys always make it worth the wait to do so and the overall sales of Supremes product show the label the level of passion there is to keep getting things out of the vault. The bean counters read lack of sales as lack of interest in any format. Also, another country like Japan who put out Partners may note its sales success and issue it. Lets try being gracious that we are getting something long awaited and enjoy the positive aspects of that rather than dwell on not being able to hold it in our hands.....

I'm sorry, but I fail to see any positive aspects in a digital-only release. It means I won't buy it, simple as that. It's not just about the music - it's about collecting actual, official releases in full sound quality [[which MP3 is never going to be). This album is over 40 years old and I'm sure that most people that ever had any interest in it already own it on LP or as a bootleg.

Yes, the music market has sadly changed a lot. But the people that are most likely to actually buy physical releases are exactly people like me - fans of an artist that has been releasing music for decades and whose releases people have bought on physical formats for all that time. Trying to get the majority of the audience of an artist that has been releasing music for 50 years to all of a sudden go digital just isn't going to work. If they want to sell this, they need to release it on CD as well.

I get what you are saying Glenpwood - but I refuse to show my support to a "product" that just isn't what a lot of the fans want. Andy, George and Harry have done a wonderful job in the past and this is in no way directed at them. But until there are actual physical products released, I will pass. I just hope that the powers that make these decisions will rethink this new approach!

Glenpwood, I respect your opinion and well stated "case." However, I think we are only fooling ourselves to think/hope that if he get this album digitally, that may lead to getting if physically one day.

As I said above, just because HipO was once great does not limit our right to find its current iteration as disappointing and not responsive.

Motown should have licensed Funny Girl with the MANY, MANY other recent Japanese release. Go back and review the numerous artists in that major release of Motown material. Many if them have no where near the sales appeal [[ or even the name recognition) of Diana Toss and The Supremes!!! What a shame!!!

I must have missed something during the past couple of years. I see that it's now common [[not only in this forum, but also in The Second Disc for example) to say "digital release" with the meaning "download only". Physical cds are also digital releases! But I'll have to go with the flow on the terminology...

I wonder if this will work financially for them. As we discussed in another thread, about half of all *complete album* sales in the US are physical cds, and in the UK this proportion is higher. And I would guess that with a release like this, where the potential purchasers will tend to be older than the average music buyers, physical cds would be even more preferred. How many sales will they lose by not making it available physically?

Physical cds are not expensive to make - the most expensive part is the mastering, which has to be done in any case and is a one-off cost. The discs themselves cost pennies to make. The booklet, shipping and storage cost more, but do they really save so much on those? Ace/Kent and many other labels are able to release physical cds which are far from top sellers.

I could understand Motown Unreleased 1962 & 1963 being released as download only, and I bought all of those sets without complaint. But the only album by The Supremes which has not yet appeared on cd?

Harry and Andy - if we can't have a physical cd, PLEASE make this available somewhere as a lossless download, so we can have cd quality audio! [[7Digital, for example, does offer some lossless downloads encoded in flac, so this is doable!)
    Last edited by calvin; 03-28-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see any positive aspects in a digital-only release. It means I won't buy it, simple as that. It's not just about the music - it's about collecting actual, official releases in full sound quality [[which MP3 is never going to be). This album is over 40 years old and I'm sure that most people that ever had any interest in it already own it on LP or as a bootleg.

Yes, the music market has sadly changed a lot. But the people that are most likely to actually buy physical releases are exactly people like me - fans of an artist that has been releasing music for decades and whose releases people have bought on physical formats for all that time. Trying to get the majority of the audience of an artist that has been releasing music for 50 years to all of a sudden go digital just isn't going to work. If they want to sell this, they need to release it on CD as well.

I get what you are saying Glenpwood - but I refuse to show my support to a "product" that just isn't what a lot of the fans want. Andy, George and Harry have done a wonderful job in the past and this is in no way directed at them. But until there are actual physical products released, I will pass. I just hope that the powers that make these decisions will rethink this new approach!
    I hate to say it but I agree with you 100% I also have never downloaded any music that I actually wanted to keep and collect. Maybe just a ring tone but never an entire album. It just does not interest me.

What a let down! For a moment there I thought our voices were heard [[and made a difference). No such luck. Just J. Randy misrepresenting the facts. Something in my opinion he does very well. Anyone who has read my posts knows I have nothing but love and appreciation for Harry, George and Andy. But as far as I'm concerned Randy can take a walk. And that's putting it mildly.

That's what the man said!
    To Mary and others,

I do apologize for believing that J. Randy Taraborrelli was telling the truth when he said in the interview that the cd version of Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl was being released next month- and then for posting what was said. I'm sorry that I've been an unwitting accomplice to your disappointment.
    I now have learned to not trust those who work for/with Universal on releases.
    But, life will go on.
    Once again, I am so sorry for being part of the deception.

Unfortunately, just as "digital release" actually means "download only", now we find that "CD" also means "download only"!
    Last edited by calvin; 03-27-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Can we take a step back and take a few deep breaths and try to find a silver lining here? At this point, we have gone quite a while without any Supremes releases period. The fact that we are getting, by all accounts, the poorest selling Supremes album issued in any format is a blessing because I'm fairly certain the higher ups at Universal have probably shot this album down for decades because it didn't sell. We've also been fortunate to have Andy, George, and Harry constantly trying to get us these releases out there or at least putting key tracks from them onto compilations to tide us over until we can get the real deal. I'm sure it can get very discouraging at times for them. The reality of today is that society as a whole is consuming music in a far different way than they once did. The only growth market left in physical media is now vinyl records. I prefer physical formats as much as the next guy but I have friends who say why take up space or money with music when you can just stream it. We can fight change but alas change is a constant thing in life. Now where is the silver lining? If this only comes out digitally perhaps we will later get it physically as part of something bigger and better. The long rumored box of the concept albums perhaps? It would be a perfect opportunity. My appeal would be to download the set, enjoy the digital booklet, get it printed on high gloss paper at Staples, burn a disc, and stick them in a jewel case and be patient. The guys always make it worth the wait to do so and the overall sales of Supremes product show the label the level of passion there is to keep getting things out of the vault. The bean counters read lack of sales as lack of interest in any format. Also, another country like Japan who put out Partners may note its sales success and issue it. Lets try being gracious that we are getting something long awaited and enjoy the positive aspects of that rather than dwell on not being able to hold it in our hands.....
    I couldn't agree more...thank you.

supremester Guest
    I want a beautiful DigiPak release as well. I have to believe that Motown is doing what they feel is correct. I'm not happy about it at all, but I will buy it. I agree with everyone here about the reasons for a physical release, but it is what it is and, since the LP was a poor seller originally, I assume they are not expecting much. Maybe we could have a mass write-in to do a special run just for us. When you think about the cost of producing the CD and the number of copies expected to sell, it's not a lot of profit. Big companies look at bigger numbers. Hopefully, they will license it out or allow Andy & George to do a start up on their own.
    As for Randy T, he seems to be a nice guy, but reticent to value fact over business. [[Rather than admit he had no idea how Miss Ross was spending her 70th, he said she's spending it quietly with her kids. He left out the lavish engagement party she threw for them. )

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Can we take a step back and take a few deep breaths and try to find a silver lining here? Now where is the silver lining? If this only comes out digitally perhaps we will later get it physically as part of something bigger and better. The long rumored box of the concept albums perhaps? It would be a perfect opportunity....
    Glen ,
    I'm not sure I'm following your thinking here. If the powers that be see one low selling lp from the Supremes' catalogue as fodder for 'down load only', I just can't imagine the same individuals thinking that other similar concept items + this soon to be 'download only' package should see a physical release as a box set. The concept albums likely did not sell all that well either, and several fans [[and we all are entitled to our opinion) have stated that they would not support the release of one or other of those individually. So why do a concept box?
    [[If the powers that be feel that they can save money by having us pay to download the music in a lesser resolution and to pay an additional fee to print our the booklet in whatever way we choose, they might assume that this is what we want, so as to keep up with many of the younger generation's philosophy concerning music ) .

I think it's still good and I think we should all support and buy it. In the next 10 years, almost all these artists will stop performing and several of them won't be here. Take whatever we can get and support them in every way ~ physical CD, digital CD, attend the concert and stand up to the naysayers.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think it's still good and I think we should all support and buy it. In the next 10 years, almost all these artists will stop performing and several of them won't be here. Take whatever we can get and support them in every way ~ physical CD, digital CD, attend the concert and stand up to the naysayers.
    You are of course entitled to your opinion. But blindly supporting a record company that doesn't bother to give their customers the products they want is hardly supporting the artists that made the recordings several decades ago. I very much doubt that Diana or Mary see any money from these re-issues...