[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Holloway/SHAKE - LIVE! On SHINDIG! [[1965)

Written by Sam Cooke

Many thanks to Manny Rivera for this YouTube posting that now appears in Mary Brewster's post immediately below

and

to Mary for re-posting the video since I'm having some linking problems.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 02-25-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Wow! Brenda is puttin' some umph into that song and bringin' down the house!

Ain't it the truth, Mark! Brenda even threw in some Boston Monkey moves. Glad you liked it.

so which came first, The Supremes or Brenda, cos this vocal sure sounds like Miss Ross' take on the song, including adding the A's!!!..lol.. [[if you want to really roll-A, got to do the thing with Soul-A...I mean really!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    so which came first, The Supremes or Brenda, cos this vocal sure sounds like Miss Ross' take on the song, including adding the A's!!!..lol.. [[if you want to really roll-A, got to do the thing with Soul-A...I mean really!
    Chicken or the egg really Jimi. Brenda appeared on Shindig on 21st October 1965. The "Copa" album was recorded 15Th September 1965. It wasn`t released until November 1965.The Sam Cooke album was released in April.So it depends when it was included in their respective live shows or whether Brenda had sung it before.

Brenda's performance comes off as a shaky Diana Ross impersonation!..NO SALE!

Lulu Guest
    Thanks for sharing. I wish the sound quality was better - I think she did a great job!

That is so funny and ironic. Berry Gordy use to give Diane demos by Brenda Holloway to listen to, to study, to learn phrasing and how to sing in general.

it is ironic because Ross made it her own, and Brenda?..well, she seems like a nice lady.. not featured in MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, I don't think..

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I wish the sound quality was better - I think she did a great job!
    I think Brenda sounds great too. I wonder if she ever recorded any SC material while at Motown?

I am making no comment about the respective merits of their performances, but to me it sounds exactly like Brenda and nothing at all like Diana.

Brenda makes this song her own I like it better than the Supremes and that is hard for me to say.

The peformance of "Shake" by the Supremes is one of their best performances ever. Everything about it, from Diana's vocal to their shake, everything about it was exciting. The energy that Diana, Mary and Florence put into that song was perfect.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 02-28-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Skool I agree with you on their live performance but on record I dont agree.

I thought we were talking about Brenda's performance in that clip.

I met brenda's neice some years back and she said that brenda was doing nicely.

people here always try to elevate every female that recorded on Motown to Diana Ross' level.. so sad, so pathetic...lol..and no one actually believes any of it...

Perhaps when it comes to the company's support and push and attention, no other female artist received it to the level that Diana did.

But when it comes to talent, Diana is not alone. Certainly she is unique and special in ways that are completely her own. But there were others also unique and special, and just as deserving of the company's backing. I think that's what's being expressed here. Surely there's room and time to express it now.

well, how did the new Supremes go Top Ten when a solo Ross went Top Twenty with "Reach Out And Touch"?? did mighty Motown let their guard down? how did "Stoned Love" become a massive hit when the "Everything Is Everything" album flopped? was Berry Gordy drunk in a alley way , allowing that to happen? how was the master plan permitted to go onto the rocks during these and other instances?..market forces were market forces, enough with the conspiracy theories already... don't you think that Gordy knew "Stoned Love' would be a massive hit when he heard?..wouldn't he have kept it from being a single if it would alter his master plans?

Who is Diana Ross and who cares! This thread is about the lovely and talented Brenda Holloway not the scrawny one and her back up singers.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,the scrawny one and her backup singers...ya'll go hard ova here...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Brenda Who? Lo whatawaY?

Brenda Who? Lo whatawaY?
    Don`t you mean Dross and Drats?