[REMOVE ADS]

BET Honors Tonight- Tribute to Berry Gordy

The BET Honors will air tonight. During the show 2 Detroit greats will be honored. Berry Gordy and Aretha Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    The BET Honors will air tonight. During the show 2 Detroit greats will be honored. Berry Gordy and Aretha Franklin.
    Airing at 9 P.M tonight [[Monday) and repeating at 8 P.M. on Thursday and 10 P.M. on Saturday.

Lulu Guest
    Same time as RuPaul! I'll have to catch a repeat - I wonder if Mary Wilson will be on the judges panel of RuPaul again this year?!?

Smokey was amazing.

Smokey sang a personal song to Berry that brought tears to his eyes. A wonderful round of musical tributes to all the BET Honourees. It was wonderful to see Aretha proudly wearing her Presidental Medal. A two hours well spent

For UK members it looks like it's on [[BET) at 1.00am this Friday 28th February. Rather bizarre timing - so set your recorder before you go to bed on Thursday night! .....unless I've missed an earlier or different screening.

The Berry Gordy tribute was nice Smokey looked well rested.The real standouts imo were the tributes to Aretha Franklin! Jennifer Hudson did a fantastic job covering Aretha's songs, right down to her vintage Aretha styled background singers. Also Aretha's stirring rendition of A Change Is Gonna come was great in tribute to Nelson Mandela. This was a great show over all!

Sorry I missed it; I wonder if clips will pop up on YouTube?

I read that Berry was quoted about his two great loves: his romance with Diana and his bromance with Smokey.

BET repeats programming such as this one or two times at least. Hopefully your cable provider features the BET network to catch the re-broadcasts. By the way, one of Aretha's sons who is a gospel singer and his daughter, performed as part of the Gospel segment in the Aretha segment. You could see the pride in Aretha's face as her lovely granddaughter sang.

BET has provided lovely musical tributes to its honourees in the past, and this year's edition kept up that high standard.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 02-25-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Jennifer Hudson was amazing. I loved her singing soul and not pop. Aretha's performance was interesting. When she stuck to her voice's natural tone she was very good. But when she went into her soprano she it sounded weak and thin and screechy but the crowd loved it .

Quote Originally Posted by soulballad View Post
    The Berry Gordy tribute was nice Smokey looked well rested...
    Sadly, I had a different reaction when I saw Smokey. His face seemed so tight, I wondered if he could even close his eyes to rest. But people in entertainment must keep their youth and some carry it too far.

His voice remains as great as always, and his tribute to Berry was very moving. It is evident that they have a strong affection for each other.

smark21 Guest
    I missed it but read that Mariah Carey lipsynched most of her performance. True?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I missed it but read that Mariah Carey lipsynched most of her performance. True?
    I do think that she was lip-syncing, but it was a good performance. However, it seemed out of place, IMO. She wasn't singing in tribute to anyone, just promoting her new release.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    BET repeats programming such as this one or two times at least. Hopefully your cable provider features the BET network to catch the re-broadcasts. By the way, one of Aretha's sons who is a gospel singer and his daughter, performed as part of the Gospel segment in the Aretha segment. You could see the pride in Aretha's face as her lovely granddaughter sang.

BET has provided lovely musical tributes to its honourees in the past, and this year's edition kept up that high standard.
    I was impressed with Aretha's granddaughter. She can really sing! I also very much enjoyed the tribute to Ice Cube. I had not realized he had done so many films and it's been more than 25 years since he came upon the scene.

Smokey was tremendous, GREAT!.. and the musical tributes to Diana Ross were fab!

supremester Guest
    Repeating tonight. Great show but Jennifer Hudson blew everyone away - including Queen Ree at her own game. I wish this is the type of music they'd give her instead of crappy hip hop.

Congratulations to Berry Gordy........................Way over due and to the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin.