[REMOVE ADS]

Oprah will produce The Darlene Love Story

I sure hope the Crystals will be portrayed accurately.A great group who always gave a great LIVE performance.

YES! This is excellent news! Not only would Darlene's career get another good kick out of this, but all of the music and groups in which she sang would get a good revival, too.

I actually saw a musical in the 1980's based
    on Doris Troy Just One Look
    where Doris Troy played her mother.
    It was very good

edafan

smark21 Guest
    I wonder if the movie will spread Darlene's lie that she sang Da Do Run Run?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    How do we know that it's a lie? Nobody has any proof except from Phil's word, and we all know how trustworthy he is.

I would much rather see a film about[dinah washington].

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I would much rather see a film about[dinah washington].
    She has an outstanding story. I saw an off-broadway play called Dinah Was in 1999 or 2000. Loved the music and story. The scene that stands out in my mind is Dinah's 1959 arrival at the Sahara Hotel, where she is to become the first black performer to headline a show on the Strip. But when a flunky tells her that she'll have "special accommodations"' in a trailer out back, and must use the kitchen entrance to the hotel, she angrily sits down on a suitcase and refuses to budge. The hotel, she declares angrily, "`ain't nuthin' but a plantation with slot machines."'

I'd love to see this on film, or expanded and brought to Broadway.

Other than Oprah's involvment in this, this looks promising.

In a link that Brother Love posted in another thread

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/darlen...-from-stardom/ ,

at about 2:50, Darlene says that she even sings Da Doo Run Run in her shows , even though it is not her voice on the record . Doesn't sound like Darlene is spreading a lie about who wound up actually singing on the released record.

smark21 Guest
    Is Oprah personally producing it? OR is it just her cable channel OWN? There's a difference.

With regards to Darlene Love and LaLa Brooks: Here's a link to La La Brooks' Facebook page [[open to public viewing). Check her post from January 31 calling out Darlene Love. A couple of weeks later Darlene goes on TV and admits she wasn't on the recorded version. https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-La...32764673447464

Is Oprah personally producing it? OR is it just her cable channel OWN? There's a difference.

With regards to Darlene Love and LaLa Brooks: Here's a link to La La Brooks' Facebook page [[open to public viewing). Check her post from January 31 calling out Darlene Love. A couple of weeks later Darlene goes on TV and admits she wasn't on the recorded version. https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-La...32764673447464
    Link is broken. Mind reposting?

Also, it's worth mentioning that in her book [[which was first published in 1998), Darlene states pretty clearly that she layed down A track - not THE track that we hear today.

This past Monday Darlene appeared on CBS Morning News and said she didn't record Da Doo Ron Ron that she just likes singing it. The hit recording from 1963 is La La Brooks, no question.

smark21 Guest
    Here's the link [[hope this time it won't break) and this is what she posted on her Facebook January 31:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-La...32764673447464

Hi Facebook Family,
    You know that I always keep you up to date as to what's going on! On my previous post, I shared a message from my Facebook Friend, Ray Poshadlo. Ray told me that he had just purchased a copy of the DVD version of "20 Feet From Stardom" with bonus material which wasn't in the theatrical release. In this material there is an interview with Darlene Love where she claims that she had wanted to be friends with The Crystals, but that they weren't friendly toward her. She made us look as though we were not nice girls.

Again, Darlene continues to LIE! She never met The Crystals. We only became aware of a certain female singer, when we--The Crystals--were in a car traveling to an engagement, and we heard "He's A Rebel" on the radio. Naturally we were shocked. All we could do was to find out information from our manager as to who this singer was.

Once we found out about what had happened with the recording of this song, we could only concentrate on Barbara Alston learning and singing it during our live shows. [[Barbara was the lead singer at the time). Listening the recording, we could see that the vocal was more suited to my strong voice rather than Barbara's softer sound. So I began to sing it live on stage.

After that, in 1963, I was flown out to California to record "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Then He Kissed Me." So then the actual Crystals were back on the map as a group with these big hits--with me on lead vocals.

Then Mary Thomas didn't want to sing anymore and she left the group. That left Barbara, Dee Dee, Patsy and myself. Then Patsy left; she was replaced by Fran Collins. As time went on, the group eventually consisted of Fran, Dee Dee and myself.

THERE IS NO TRUTH IN DARLENE LOVE'S COMMENTS THAT SHE EVER MET THE CRYSTALS! The only one who she met out in California was ME. Years later, when Dee Dee was about 38 years old, she met Darlene for the first time in her life. I was living in England at the time. This was around 1984.

Periodically, Dee Dee would call me in England. She told me that Darlene was going around claiming that she had recorded "Da Doo Ron Ron." Dee Dee was upset as she was holding the group's name, and she had been attempting to counter Darlene's lies by doing radio interviews. When I put everything together, I realized that Darlene had started making these false claims in around 1984, when I had left for England. This was the year that the Broadway play "Leader of the Pack" debuted, and Darlene sang "Da Doo Ron Ron" in that play. She began lying in her bio and later in her book, switching things around, to give weight to her lie.

So lying about us is what she continues to do in the DVD version of the film. She creates the impression that she knew The Crystals and had spoken with us, when in fact, she had NEVER, EVER MET US when "He's A Rebel" was out. As I've previously mentioned, when I'd be flown out to California to record, I would try to connect with Darlene as I had admired her voice so much. But she was always aloof toward me. Fanita James [[of The Blossoms) was always nice. [[It was Fanita who actually started The Blossoms but Darlene took over in time).

Darlene claims that she and The Blossoms did background vocals on "It's In His Kiss" by Betty Everett. Actually a group by the name of The Opals did that background. The Blossoms did do the background for Merry Clayton's version of the same song--which did not become a hit. But Darlene will try to create the impression that she did the vocals on the hit version by Betty Everett. LIES!

The saddest part is that Darlene threw Morgan Neville [["20 Feet's..." director) 'under the bus.' And by him wishing to badly to receive an Oscar for Best Documentary, he will not come forward publicly to acknowledge the truth.

Darlene continues to obsessively lie to enhance her own image at someone else's expense. At the end of the day, if it weren't for The Crystals being a group and having a famous name prior to Darlene, she would not have had the vehicle to bring her success with "He's A Rebel." To continue lying about The Crystals and "Da Doo Ron Ron" [[for which I recorded lead vocals), speaks of the sickness which runs around in her head.

Feel free to share this post far and wide.......Love to all, La La

Spoke to Fanita James to clear some of these issues at hand. First of all the background vocals on DDRR were sung by Gloria Jones, Cher, Bobby Sheen, Gracia Nitzsche, Darlene and Fanita. Another thing Fanita mentioned was that it was Darlene and Fanita who recorded the background vocals on "It's In His Kiss" and not the Opals. She said it that they both over dubed their vocals on that track.
    Here's the link [[hope this time it won't break) and this is what she posted on her Facebook January 31:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-La...32764673447464

Hi Facebook Family,
    You know that I always keep you up to date as to what's going on! On my previous post, I shared a message from my Facebook Friend, Ray Poshadlo. Ray told me that he had just purchased a copy of the DVD version of "20 Feet From Stardom" with bonus material which wasn't in the theatrical release. In this material there is an interview with Darlene Love where she claims that she had wanted to be friends with The Crystals, but that they weren't friendly toward her. She made us look as though we were not nice girls.

Again, Darlene continues to LIE! She never met The Crystals. We only became aware of a certain female singer, when we--The Crystals--were in a car traveling to an engagement, and we heard "He's A Rebel" on the radio. Naturally we were shocked. All we could do was to find out information from our manager as to who this singer was.

Once we found out about what had happened with the recording of this song, we could only concentrate on Barbara Alston learning and singing it during our live shows. [[Barbara was the lead singer at the time). Listening the recording, we could see that the vocal was more suited to my strong voice rather than Barbara's softer sound. So I began to sing it live on stage.

After that, in 1963, I was flown out to California to record "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Then He Kissed Me." So then the actual Crystals were back on the map as a group with these big hits--with me on lead vocals.

Then Mary Thomas didn't want to sing anymore and she left the group. That left Barbara, Dee Dee, Patsy and myself. Then Patsy left; she was replaced by Fran Collins. As time went on, the group eventually consisted of Fran, Dee Dee and myself.

THERE IS NO TRUTH IN DARLENE LOVE'S COMMENTS THAT SHE EVER MET THE CRYSTALS! The only one who she met out in California was ME. Years later, when Dee Dee was about 38 years old, she met Darlene for the first time in her life. I was living in England at the time. This was around 1984.

Periodically, Dee Dee would call me in England. She told me that Darlene was going around claiming that she had recorded "Da Doo Ron Ron." Dee Dee was upset as she was holding the group's name, and she had been attempting to counter Darlene's lies by doing radio interviews. When I put everything together, I realized that Darlene had started making these false claims in around 1984, when I had left for England. This was the year that the Broadway play "Leader of the Pack" debuted, and Darlene sang "Da Doo Ron Ron" in that play. She began lying in her bio and later in her book, switching things around, to give weight to her lie.

So lying about us is what she continues to do in the DVD version of the film. She creates the impression that she knew The Crystals and had spoken with us, when in fact, she had NEVER, EVER MET US when "He's A Rebel" was out. As I've previously mentioned, when I'd be flown out to California to record, I would try to connect with Darlene as I had admired her voice so much. But she was always aloof toward me. Fanita James [[of The Blossoms) was always nice. [[It was Fanita who actually started The Blossoms but Darlene took over in time).

Darlene claims that she and The Blossoms did background vocals on "It's In His Kiss" by Betty Everett. Actually a group by the name of The Opals did that background. The Blossoms did do the background for Merry Clayton's version of the same song--which did not become a hit. But Darlene will try to create the impression that she did the vocals on the hit version by Betty Everett. LIES!

The saddest part is that Darlene threw Morgan Neville [["20 Feet's..." director) 'under the bus.' And by him wishing to badly to receive an Oscar for Best Documentary, he will not come forward publicly to acknowledge the truth.

Darlene continues to obsessively lie to enhance her own image at someone else's expense. At the end of the day, if it weren't for The Crystals being a group and having a famous name prior to Darlene, she would not have had the vehicle to bring her success with "He's A Rebel." To continue lying about The Crystals and "Da Doo Ron Ron" [[for which I recorded lead vocals), speaks of the sickness which runs around in her head.

Feel free to share this post far and wide.......Love to all, La La

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    How do we know that it's a lie? Nobody has any proof except from Phil's word, and we all know how trustworthy he is.
    Oh man get a grip! The Da Doo Ron Ron was only sung by La La Brooks. Even your girl Darlene Love admitted on 17 Feb 2014, CBS's Today Show, that her [[Darlene) voice IS NOT on the DDRR. I purchased from CBS a license in perpetuity for that interview segment so that I would have forever proof that she finally told the truth. Yeah, I got the truth. It was MY research on Darlene Love that I provided to Darlene's publicist and lawyer that prompted her to tell the truth after 30 years of claiming she sang the DDRR. They acknowledged my research and they wanted no controversy right before the Oscars. The documentary field was so weak that it was certain that TFFS would win. That nonsense about Darlene laying down a track for the DDRR, then overwritten with La La's voice. That was another lie initiated by Darlene and she ran with that before the truth came out.

So if you have something to say - remember, Darlene said it herself on 17 Feb 2014 that her voice is not on the DDRR.

Quote Originally Posted by chemelr View Post
    Oh man get a grip! The Da Doo Ron Ron was only sung by La La Brooks. Even your girl Darlene Love admitted on 17 Feb 2014, CBS's Today Show, that her [[Darlene) voice IS NOT on the DDRR. I purchased from CBS a license in perpetuity for that interview segment so that I would have forever proof that she finally told the truth. Yeah, I got the truth. It was MY research on Darlene Love that I provided to Darlene's publicist and lawyer that prompted her to tell the truth after 30 years of claiming she sang the DDRR. They acknowledged my research and they wanted no controversy right before the Oscars. The documentary field was so weak that it was certain that TFFS would win. That nonsense about Darlene laying down a track for the DDRR, then overwritten with La La's voice. That was another lie initiated by Darlene and she ran with that before the truth came out.

So if you have something to say - remember, Darlene said it herself on 17 Feb 2014 that her voice is not on the DDRR.
    I know she said that its not her voice on it. I've heard her say it, I've seen her say it - I'm not denying it. What I AM saying is that there IS a possibility that she might have recorded a vocal, or possibly was going to learn it and mixed up facts over the years, and that vocal might have gotten erased - something that happened all the time back in those days. She has said that she was initially given the track but then was given to the Crystals. Not sure why that is so controversial. Phil did that all the time. Until you can provide incontrovertible truth that eliminates all possibility that it ISN'T a possibility, why should I believe you? I've done my research, too, and you are the only one I have come across to support these highly defensive claims of yours. I have no reason to harbor negative feelings against Darlene. She hasn't hurt me, and as far as I'm concerned, La La's not doing too bad for herself, either. If you want to fixate on these kind of things, go ahead. That's your business. But stop attacking other people who chose to ignore the drama and enjoy the music.

According to Dee Dee Kenniebrew, the Crystals met Darlene when she came to NYC to pose for the photo cover of the Christmas lp. She says they were all there together at Three Lions Photography Studio. She saw her again years later at Micki Harris' memorial service [[Micki of the Shirelles).

Also, Cher has always said the first record she sang on was the Ronettes' Be My Baby, recorded about 5 months after Da Do Ron Ron.

Phil may block any of his songs from being used in the movie.

I too would like to see a movie on Dinah Washington.

Hey Oprah,don't forget the scene where Darlene[CLAIMS]that Eddie Kendricks tried to rape her,that should be good for a laugh..not that rape is funny but the idea that Eddie would force himself on her.

I have the proof. Darlene Love stated on CBS's This Morning Show, 17 Feb 2014 that her voice IS NOT on the DDRR. I purchased a license in perpetuity of this interview from CBS. But to get it to you faster here is the video clip still good from CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/darlen...-from-stardom/

If you want to call someone a liar, try Darlene. Anything you ever heard about her singing a track on the DDRR later to be overwritten by La La's voice was a lie Darlene started herself.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    Also, Cher has always said the first record she sang on was the Ronettes' Be My Baby, recorded about 5 months after Da Do Ron Ron.
    That is not true Randy. In the book "Cher, If You Believe" a biography of Cher written by Mark Bego, credit is given twice for Cher singing background on the Da Doo Ron Ron, Be My Baby and You've Lost That Loving Feeling. Cher credits the launch of her career by singing background on the DDRR, BMB and YLTLF. She sang background on the DDRR first. Hard to go against her when she endorsed the book.

According to Dee Dee Kenniebrew, the Crystals met Darlene when she came to NYC to pose for the photo cover of the Christmas lp. She says they were all there together at Three Lions Photography Studio. She saw her again years later at Micki Harris' memorial service [[Micki of the Shirelles).
    La La Brooks in an interview with SongFacts:

Songfacts: Who would sing backup with you at the Los Angeles sessions?

La La: It varied. Now, that's another thing: when Phil would put down the tracks, he would not have the background singers there. The Blossoms wouldn't be there. He'd use the Blossoms most of the time, but on one of the Christmas songs - "Wooden Soldiers" - those were white girls, they were not black girls.

Songfacts: I was going to ask you about the Christmas songs. That means you're the only Crystal that appears on the Christmas songs that you did on that album - is that correct?

La La: Yeah. I'm the only one that did "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town," "Wooden Soldiers" and "Rudolph." I did the three.

Songfacts: On the cover of that album there are four Crystals - the whole group is appearing there. But you were the only one that was actually singing on it.

La La: I'm the only one actually singing on it. And when we did the cover for that Christmas album where Darlene is up at the top, we never saw each other.

Songfacts: So you didn't cross paths with her at all during the Christmas album?

La La: No. We did the pictures in New York, and Phil had all the sweaters for us. We went into this room, and he took the box of sweaters out. He gave me that green one - I liked that one the best of all.

I think Darlene was flown in later because she was coming from California. The Ronettes were already in New York, and we were already in New York. We went into the studio, and a man was taking the pictures. We put on our sweaters and he took our pictures. Then he brought in The Ronettes, who did their thing; we must have waved a pinkie wave to them. The next thing you know it looks on the album that we had seen each other, talked to each other, and hollered and said hello. No, it wasn't like that.

Another story to clear up is that The Blossoms sang background on the Shoop, Shoop [[It's In His Kiss) song. The Blossoms DID NOT sing background on Betty Everett's version. Betty was from Chicago and The Opals of Chicago sang background on Betty's version and Calvin Carter, the chief A&R man for the Chicago-based Vee-Jay Records had the song recorded in Chicago. The Blossoms had never been to Chicago at this time. This song was originally recorded by Merry Clayton and The Blossoms sang background on this version which was a flop. On the TV show The Blossoms regularly appeared on, they sang background for Aretha Franklin on her cover ofthe SSS song however there was no recording of this on a vinyl. I like Fanita James, she is a good person, but she is having some senior moments from the past.

I'm aware of what Darlene said on the CBS interview. That means that she has said from her lips that she's not on DDRR. It's over, it's done with. I have no reason to harbor any ill will against any of these ladies. They have both provided me with wonderful music, and to fixate on the negative means ignoring the glorious music produced by both. I refuse to become entangled in the private matters of Miss Love and Miss Brooks. You are a friend of Miss Brooks, so it is more of your business than it is of mine. Feel free to say your piece about the facts - I enjoyed the interview posted above - but don't judge or attack anyone who is a fan of Darlene and her music.

I'm aware of what Darlene said on the CBS interview. That means that she has said from her lips that she's not on DDRR. It's over, it's done with. I have no reason to harbor any ill will against any of these ladies. They have both provided me with wonderful music, and to fixate on the negative means ignoring the glorious music produced by both. I refuse to become entangled in the private matters of Miss Love and Miss Brooks. You are a friend of Miss Brooks, so it is more of your business than it is of mine. Feel free to say your piece about the facts - I enjoyed the interview posted above - but don't judge or attack anyone who is a fan of Darlene and her music.
    I am not judging anyone. I provide the facts that I gather from MULTIPLE sources. You need to understand that since 1984, Darlene Love claimed OUTRIGHT that she sang the DDRR. No one could stop her. How do you think La La felt about this? If someone took your glory, you wouldn't defend yourself? I am not ashamed to say that I am a retired federal criminal investigative special agent. I know how to go about gathering information and separating fact from fiction. It worked. My summary of these events I provided to Darlene's publicist and lawyer - it obviously was believable and those two along with Morgan Neville advised Darlene to tell the truth. Now did it hurt Darlene to tell the truth? It may have hurt her pride but she was able to go about her business. Truth may hurt but it is always the best way to go for anyone on any subject.

Here is an example of research that proves my point about Darlene Love and the Da Doo Ron Ron. You can view the whole video or jump to mark 1:46. The interviewer asks her for the record, what songs she sang lead on. I will let you hear it from her own mouth.

http://youtu.be/b8R6yj6NnRc

Interesting...again, Dee Dee says they met Darlene at the photo shoot for the Christmas lp.

Also, Cher wrote the forward to Ronnie Spector's book in 1990. In her words she writes on meeting the Ronettes..."That was around the time I started my own singing career. In fact, 'Be My Baby' was the first record I ever sang on." She goes on to write how she'd wanted to sing since the first time Sonny took her to Gold Star, but never had the nerve to tell anyone except Sonny. Then one day Darlene or someone didn't show up and Phil told her to get out there and sing and that she sang "Be my, Be my Baby" with the Ronettes and all these other singers.
    This isn't the only time she has told this story. She has said it in TV interviews too.

Also, Cher wrote the forward to Ronnie Spector's book in 1990. In her words she writes on meeting the Ronettes..."That was around the time I started my own singing career. In fact, 'Be My Baby' was the first record I ever sang on." She goes on to write how she'd wanted to sing since the first time Sonny took her to Gold Star, but never had the nerve to tell anyone except Sonny. Then one day Darlene or someone didn't show up and Phil told her to get out there and sing and that she sang "Be my, Be my Baby" with the Ronettes and all these other singers.
    This isn't the only time she has told this story. She has said it in TV interviews too.
    Well I guess this could go on forever, I have alot of these references bookmarked so I will use just one that should hold some weight since it came from Cher's own website and then I will call it a day.

And he did. It was through Sonny that Cher sang background vocals on some of the era’s biggest hits. These included The Crystals’ “Da Doo Ron Ron,” the Ronettes’ “Be My Baby,” the classic Spector Christmas Album and perhaps most memorable of all, the Righteous Brothers’ “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling,”— on which Cher’s powerful vocal can be distinctly discerned from all six other male backing singers.

La La sounds delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey Oprah,don't forget the scene where Darlene[CLAIMS]that Eddie Kendricks tried to rape her,that should be good for a laugh..not that rape is funny but the idea that Eddie would force himself on her.
    Oh she will leave that part as well as the part about Darlene being in bed with Tom Jones and questioning him about his affair with Mary Wilson! If they include all these things, it should be the comedy of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    La La sounds delusional.
    LaLa Brooks is hardly delusional. She is telling the truth.

I'm sorry, but why is this being dug up again? We all know some people chose to believe La La, and some chose to believe Darlene, regardless of the fact that there's no proof and its none of our business to fight over their dirty laundry. No one knows who Darlene slept with, who tried to or didn't try to sleep with her, whatever. WHO CARES? Both ladies are responsible for much-loved, iconic music. Just enjoy the music and leave the drama between the two ladies where it belongs.

I love Ronnie, Darlene, and LaLa equally. Through their Philles recordings, they’ve given me 50+ years of immense musical pleasure, so I’m not taking sides with anybody. But Darlene isn’t lying. She DID record the first version of "Da Doo Ron Ron", but Phil chose to use LaLa’s version instead. They say that Phil erased Darlene’s lead vocals, but I doubt that very much. Phil didn’t throw anything away! He was too cheap! [[Just ask LaLa about her turkey sandwich!)

Oh, and it wasn’t Eddie Kendricks who Darlene said tried to force himself on her. It was Obie Benson of the Four Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I love Ronnie, Darlene, and LaLa equally. Through their Philles recordings, they’ve given me 50+ years of immense musical pleasure, so I’m not taking sides with anybody. But Darlene isn’t lying. She DID record the first version of "Da Doo Ron Ron", but Phil chose to use LaLa’s version instead. They say that Phil erased Darlene’s lead vocals, but I doubt that very much. Phil didn’t throw anything away! He was too cheap! [[Just ask LaLa about her turkey sandwich!)

Oh, and it wasn’t Eddie Kendricks who Darlene said tried to force himself on her. It was Obie Benson of the Four Tops.

No that isn't right. Darlene Love WAS NOT in the State of California at the recording time of the DDRR. It was Darlene herself that initiated that lie. So here is Darlene's latest lie, along with an older one.

"Love, now 73, made her mark in the early 1960s, climbing to the top of the charts with her group, The Crystals, on the Phil Spector-produced classic
    ..."
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/ever...-day-1.1270092

Her group The Crystals, yeah, right. Also her birthday is 26 July 1938. See her bio on the R&R HOF as one example. There are many more on the internet. She even stated last year June that she was 75.

As far as you go antceleb12, how many of the characters involved do you know personally? There is plenty of proof. The character that keeps this crap going is Darlene Love herself. She can't sleep at night since Paul Shaeffer got La La Brooks on the David Letterman show and was further incensed when Letterman re-broadcast La La's performance. Letterman was thrilled with La La's performance and that drives Darlene nuts. One proof is listed above - that The Crystals were Darlene's group. That is an insult to The Crystals. Darlene can STOP this nonsense by being truthful in her constant interviews that she had anything to do with the DDRR. Caphiche?

And once again the background singers are Cher, Fanita James and Gracia Nitzsche to the DDRR. Darlene was not in the state, Gloria was not performing at that same time and there has never been any credit given to Bobby Sheen for singing background, and no way to ask him since he has passed on.

Philles/Motown Gary, you are correct, Phil Spector did not over-write or throw away any tapes. That is common knowledge.

No that isn't right. Darlene Love WAS NOT in the State of California at the recording time of the DDRR. It was Darlene herself that initiated that lie. So here is Darlene's latest lie, along with an older one.

Philles/Motown Gary, you are correct, Phil Spector did not over-write or throw away any tapes. That is common knowledge.
    Chemelr, I didn’t learn that Phil had originally recorded Darlene’s lead vocal on "Da Doo Ron Ron" from anything that Darlene had said. No, Sir! I read that in one [[or more) of my many Phil Spector books [[possibly "Collecting Phil Spector"? I really can’t say off the top of my head). I just remember making a mental note of it, hoping that one day it will see the light of day on CD, along with The Ronettes’ "Love Me Like You’re Gonna Lose Me", and, of course, anything at all by Our Miss [[LaLa) Brooks.

As much as I love and respect the musical genius of Phil Spector and the Philles label, let me just say that it’s unfortunate that Darlene didn’t get credit for the songs that were released utilizing her lead vocals. She didn’t get the credit that she so rightly deserved, and it wasn’t fair to LaLa Brooks and The Crystals, either. They suddenly had to learn newly-released material which they had nothing to do with. In at least one video, LaLa even had to lip-sinc "He’s A Rebel" over the studio recording of Darlene’s vocals in front of a live audience, which had to be humiliating for her. It’s just too bad that the shenanigans of record companies back in the 1960's could cause dissension between the artists, pitting them against each other when they had nothing to do with the wrong-doing in the first place.

And, finally, whenever Darlene has said that she was one of The Crystals, I think it’s just a bad choice of wording. [[Of course she was never one of The Crystals. We all know that.) If she had chosen her words more carefully by saying that she was billed as The Crystals, it would have spared some unfortunate hard feelings. Oh, well, what can ya say? Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda.

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-19-2015 at 05:41 PM.

As far as you go antceleb12, how many of the characters involved do you know personally?
    None. That's why I am not picking sides, and that's why I don't care about the muddied details that have been clouded by years of misremembering and mixing up of facts. But do you know Darlene personally. You are so free to call out Darlene and point out "lies" of her own life as if you know her, but do you even know Darlene at all?

There is plenty of proof.
    Supply the proof.

And by "proof," I don't mean testimonials from La La or Phil. I mean ALL of the studio session logs, unreleased tapes, masters, mixes, etc. Until then, nothing I've heard or seen is grounds for dismissing Darlene's claims. Unless you can provide such concrete evidence, nothing you can say is going to dissuade me from believing that Darlene could be telling the truth.

She can't sleep at night since Paul Shaeffer got La La Brooks on the David Letterman show and was further incensed when Letterman re-broadcast La La's performance. Letterman was thrilled with La La's performance and that drives Darlene nuts.
    Cut the sensationalist B.S. You don't know what drives Darlene nuts and what doesn't. Stick with facts and not the tabloid-esque sensationalist bias.

Some of us don't care. Some of us are sick of reading the same crap over and over again. Some of us just want to listen to the music without the name-calling and mud-slinging. I am one of them. This petty drama is between Darlene and La La. If Darlene didn't record DDRR, oh well. My life isn't affected. La La and Darlene are grown women and don't need uninformed bystanders meddling in their business.

~

I would just like to leave these two pictures here. Both of these pictures have been captured within the last eight years - long after this supposed feud had started. Now I've seen La La's recent Facebook rants against Darlene, but I think these pictures prove that even they are capable of putting some things to rest for the sake of the music.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/...2&personid=196

http://imagecollect.com/picture/darl...e-photos-23737
    Last edited by antceleb12; 02-19-2015 at 07:20 PM.

None. That's why I am not picking sides, and that's why I don't care about the muddied details that have been clouded by years of misremembering and mixing up of facts. But do you know Darlene personally. You are so free to call out Darlene and point out "lies" of her own life as if you know her, but do you even know Darlene at all?

Supply the proof.

And by "proof," I don't mean testimonials from La La or Phil. I mean ALL of the studio session logs, unreleased tapes, masters, mixes, etc. Until then, nothing I've heard or seen is grounds for dismissing Darlene's claims. Unless you can provide such concrete evidence, nothing you can say is going to dissuade me from believing that Darlene could be telling the truth.

Cut the sensationalist B.S. You don't know what drives Darlene nuts and what doesn't. Stick with facts and not the tabloid-esque sensationalist bias.

Some of us don't care. Some of us are sick of reading the same crap over and over again. Some of us just want to listen to the music without the name-calling and mud-slinging. I am one of them. This petty drama is between Darlene and La La. If Darlene didn't record DDRR, oh well. My life isn't affected. La La and Darlene are grown women and don't need uninformed bystanders meddling in their business.

~

I would just like to leave these two pictures here. Both of these pictures have been captured within the last eight years - long after this supposed feud had started. Now I've seen La La's recent Facebook rants against Darlene, but I think these pictures prove that even they are capable of putting some things to rest for the sake of the music.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/...2&personid=196

http://imagecollect.com/picture/darl...e-photos-23737

Nice try with your verbial barrage of B.S. You are under the assumption that YOU being on this forum makes YOU some kind of expert at anything concerning the music industry. Since you obviously must be so well known, put your real name out there. You use an alias for your handle. My handle is my name. I'm not afraid of anything. Now since you are an expert, and you are so well connected, you call Darlene Love at home and ask her if she knows Roger L. Chemel.

See you outed yourself as someone who doesn't know. Those pictures were taken before La La decided she had enough of Darlene's lies. La La learned of the crap Darlene was spreading in 1999 when she returned from Europe and ran into Shirley Alston Reeves. Shirley filled La La in. Give La La credit that she didn't cold cock Darlene during those performances. You know NOTHING of their background. Stick to something that you know first hand, if that's anything.

I don't care that YOU don't care. You are just a hobbyist on a website and and certainly no expert at anything connected with Phil Spector. I can say whatever I care to say and there isn't anything that you can do about it.

When you are on the phone with Darlene, you can tell her that I will get off of her case when she personally apologizes to La La for all the lies. And yes, Darlene has La La's number.

Nice try with your verbial barrage of B.S. You are under the assumption that YOU being on this forum makes YOU some kind of expert at anything concerning the music industry. Since you obviously must be so well known, put your real name out there. You use an alias for your handle. My handle is my name. I'm not afraid of anything. Now since you are an expert, and you are so well connected, you call Darlene Love at home and ask her if she knows Roger L. Chemel.

See you outed yourself as someone who doesn't know. Those pictures were taken before La La decided she had enough of Darlene's lies. La La learned of the crap Darlene was spreading in 1999 when she returned from Europe and ran into Shirley Alston Reeves. Shirley filled La La in. Give La La credit that she didn't cold cock Darlene during those performances. You know NOTHING of their background. Stick to something that you know first hand, if that's anything.

I don't care that YOU don't care. You are just a hobbyist on a website and and certainly no expert at anything connected with Phil Spector. I can say whatever I care to say and there isn't anything that you can do about it.

When you are on the phone with Darlene, you can tell her that I will get off of her case when she personally apologizes to La La for all the lies. And yes, Darlene has La La's number.
    Roger, what does me being a member on this website have to do with me being an "expert?" You're literally putting words into my mouth and inventing conversations that never happened. When did I EVER claim to be an expert on anything? I never ONCE claimed to be an expert, nor did I say anything of the sort. And that's exactly my point.

I cannot take anyone so wrapped up in subjective information rather than presenting bare-bone facts seriously. I don't trust anyone who cannot simply present fact without emotional entanglement. That doesn't mean I think I'm an expert. That means I'm not a blind sheep who believes what people say just because they say they're "in the know." I don't care that you know La La or Darlene. That's not solid proof.

We can argue about this until the cow comes home. I think we both know where we each stand on this argument. However, I don't take putting words into my mouth or making assumptions you have no right to make very kindly.
    Last edited by antceleb12; 02-20-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Roger, what does me being a member on this website have to do with me being an "expert?" You're literally putting words into my mouth and inventing conversations that never happened. When did I EVER claim to be an expert on anything? I never ONCE claimed to be an expert, nor did I say anything of the sort. And that's exactly my point.

I cannot take anyone so wrapped up in subjective information rather than presenting bare-bone facts seriously. I don't trust anyone who cannot simply present fact without emotional entanglement. That doesn't mean I think I'm an expert. That means I'm not a blind sheep who believes what people say just because they say they're "in the know." I don't care that you know La La or Darlene. That's not solid proof.

We can argue about this until the cow comes home. I think we both know where we each stand on this argument. However, I don't take putting words into my mouth or making assumptions you have no right to make very kindly.
    Being a retired criminal investigative special agent has taught me that sometimes you put info into a victim, suspect or subject's head and see how they react. So now I know a little bit about you. I already know that if someone stole something from you or took credit for something you accomplished, you wouldn't be so nice to that thief. And I don't believe that you would believe that if the thief was caught, you would just say, "oh, that's all right, let's be friends". Friends don't steal from friends.
    Last edited by chemelr; 02-20-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Being a retired criminal investigative special agent has taught me that sometimes you put info into a victim, suspect or subject's head and see how they react. So now I know a little bit about you. I already know that if someone stole something from you or took credit for something you accomplished, you wouldn't be so nice to that thief. And I don't believe that you would believe that if the thief was caught, you would just say, "oh, that's all right, let's be friends". Friends don't steal from friends.
    You're right. Friends don't steal from friends. But I'm not clear on what it is you think you know about me. Would you care to expand?

I'm the type of person who believes in forgiveness. I've been taken advantage of before, but no matter how angry I got, I always found a way to forgive that person. I can't speak for Darlene and La La, but fighting all the time and holding on to anger and resentment makes me miserable and feel unpleasant. That's why I hope the two can privately resolve their conflicts so we can get back to enjoying both of their music without worrying about whether or not they're fighting. I'm truly happy for both of their successes - I love La La, as well. But I don't enjoy this feud between the two of them, and I don't enjoy fighting with you as well.

You're right. Friends don't steal from friends. But I'm not clear on what it is you think you know about me. Would you care to expand?

I'm the type of person who believes in forgiveness. I've been taken advantage of before, but no matter how angry I got, I always found a way to forgive that person. I can't speak for Darlene and La La, but fighting all the time and holding on to anger and resentment makes me miserable and feel unpleasant. That's why I hope the two can privately resolve their conflicts so we can get back to enjoying both of their music without worrying about whether or not they're fighting. I'm truly happy for both of their successes - I love La La, as well. But I don't enjoy this feud between the two of them, and I don't enjoy fighting with you as well.
    I'm not fighting you. You can have your opinions. La La has tried NUMEROUS times to make things right with Darlene - face to face. It hasn't worked. As shown above, just last week, Darlene referred to The Crystals as "her" group. You can't blame that on the author of the article. He repeats what is said to him in an interview. If he published an article without interviewing Darlene, then he can be found to be in error. I am not afraid to evaluate new evidence when it is presented. Lord knows that "victims" that I initially interviewed wound up being the subject of a criminal investigation. I've presented what I have found. You and your buds can research and find points that support Darlene's claim that she initially sang the DDRR, then the tape was "over-written" with La La's voice.

Concerning your "Would you care to expand?" You did that for me in your following paragraph.

Enjoy all of Darlene as you please. I have no problem with that.