[REMOVE ADS]

Digital Only Release/March

Anyone have any news yet on what the release is?

What company announced this release?

Well, I believe it was Andy who said there was a digital only release coming in March. I think some of us just assumed it was a Supremes or Diana Ross release.

Never assume anything.

I am sure that Andy said on the recent radio appearance that the March digital release was by The Supremes -- and it has been much requested. Am I misremembering?

It is Tata Vega ~ 4 CDs. He's talking about it on Facebook.

From Facebook:

Andy Skurow

Táta Vega fans rejoice!
    The official Universal Music Group press release is here!
    Tata Vega Reissues Get Digital Release in the USFour albums by the highly talented singer/songwriter Tata Vega will be reissued this month by UMe. Originally released by Motown between 1976-1980, the albums will make their digital debut in the US on February 18, 2014 as expanded releases. Tata is a widely respected vocalist who is featured in this year’s Oscar-nominated documentary film Twenty Feet From Stardom is currently on tour with Elton John. Tata has worked with such artists as Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Chaka Khan, Cher, Elton John, Patti LaBelle, Ray Charles, Jermaine Jackson, Lou Rawls, and Andraé Crouch. Her work also appeared in the Oscar Nominated film and critically acclaimed soundtrack for The Color Purple, where she recorded the singing voice of Shug Avery.

Each set contains bonus tracks with rare gems ranging from Táta’s group Earthquire, as well as duets with Jermaine Jackson, G.C. Cameron and Peter Rivera from Rare Earth. There are also 12” mixes of Táta’s disco hits which are now regarded as dance classics: “Full Speed Ahead,” [[#18 Disco/Dance), “I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby [[#17 Disco/Dance), “Get It Up For Love,” [[#17 Disco/Dance), and Oaktown’s 3-5-7 hit “Turn It Up,” from 1991, which features the singer’s vocals in the chorus. Also included is a 2005 remix of “I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby” Almighty Records, the hit remix team from the UK. Rounding out each set are fantastic previously unreleased bonus tracks, from rare mixes, to Táta’s previously unreleased 1983 sessions produced by Motown’s Nolen and Crossley.

Full Speed Ahead [[1976) – Expanded Edition Full Speed Ahead
    1. Try Love From The Inside
    2. Never Had A Dream Come True
    3. Just When Things Are Getting Good
    4. Been On My Own Too Long [[In The Wilderness)
    5. Love Is All You Need
    6. Music In My Heart
    7. Keep It Coming
    8. Just As Long As There Is You
    9. Try God
    Bonus Tracks:
    10. Full Speed Ahead [[Disco Version Extended Single) *
    11. Sunshine Man – Earthquire Featuring Táta Vega
    12. Soul Eyes – Earthquire Featuring Táta Vega

Totally Táta [[1977) – Expanded Edition
    1. Mr. Troublemaker
    2. Blame It On The Sun
    3. Come In Heaven [[Earth Is Calling)
    4. Deep Inside
    5. Jesus Takes Me Higher
    6. Love Comes From The Most Unexpected Places
    7. It’s Too Late
    8. You’ll Never Rock Alone
    9. Ever So Lovingly
    Bonus Tracks:
    10. Come In Heaven [[Earth Is Calling) Part 1
    11. Come In Heaven [[Earth Is Calling) Part 2 *
    12. You’ll Never Rock Alone – Duet with Jermaine Jackson

Try My Love [[1978) – Expanded Edition
    1. Come On And Try My Love
    2. I Need You Now
    3. Get It Up For Love
    4. If Love Must Go
    5. Magic Feeling
    6. Gonna Do My Best To Love You
    7. I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby
    8. Whopper Bopper Show Stopper
    9. In The Morning
    Bonus Tracks:
    10. You Got My Love – Rare Earth featuring Táta Vega
    11. My Love Is Alive *
    12. I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby [[12” Mix)
    13. Get It Up For Love [[12” Mix)
    14. I Just Keep Thinking About You Baby – Almighty Remix

Givin’ All My Love [[1980) – Expanded Edition
    1. Givin’ All My Love
    2. You Keep Me Hangin’ On
    3. Abandoned
    4. Reachin’ All Around My Love
    5. There’s Love In The World
    6. You Better Watch Out
    7. Love Thy Neighbor
    8. [[I’ve Got My) Second Wind
    9. I Get So Used To You Being Around
    Bonus Tracks:
    10. You Keep Me Hangin’ On [[Single Mix)
    11. Stay With Me *
    12. Inside, Outside *
    13. To The Limit *
    14. Turn It Up – Oaktown’s 3-5-7 featuring Táta Vega

Lulu Guest
    Makes sense. I saw him posting some pics with her! This is good news!!!

Except maybe there is a March release too????? Hope so!

RossHolloway Guest
    Ok, this is kinda exciting.

Andy did state that 4 digital only releases by the same artist would be available on February 18. He added that either in late March or early April, a much requested Supremes' re-issue we be available for digital download only- and that some fans had already guessed the correct title online.He had hoped that by summer a few physical releases [[other than the above 5) would be ready & available for purchase.

Unfortunately, this is probably lossy, meaning it isn't even the same as a CD-quality sound.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-11-2014 at 04:44 PM.

The first two titles were released on cd by Soul Music, also as expanded editions with the same bonus tracks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Speed-A...ords=tata+vega

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Totally-Tata...ords=tata+vega

The track list for Full Speed Ahead given above in jobeterob's post is missing the album's first track, the title song "Full Speed Ahead."
    Last edited by calvin; 02-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Andy must REALLY be excited about this release- missing the title track of Tata's first Tamla release in his Facebook announcement [[as re-produced here by Jobeterob).
    Now, I don't feel so bad about my recent faux pas.

[QUOTE=jobeterob;212579]It is Tata Vega ~ 4 CDs. He's talking about it on Facebook.[/QUOTE

This makes me kind of happy because I really didn't want it to be the Supremes or Diana Ross. I am still hopeful that they will get a physical release. I want to complete my Diana Ross collection with an expanded BIM and Ross 78 and I want my Supremes expanded editions to continue as physical releases. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I heard the march digital release is a Supremes release.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I heard the march digital release is a Supremes release.
    The buzz is that the release is "Funny Girl". I don't know this as fact, just what I've seen and heard. Which is unfortunate.

It's unfortuante because we as fans have been asking for this release for years. Perhaps even before there was a thing called "digital only".

Here's a thread from EIGHT years ago, asking for "Funny Girl" to be released. Physically.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1163425360

Noooooooo!!! I've waited 30 years for Funny Girl on CD. I REALLY don't want it as lossy digital files. I've already got that from my vinyl copy!

I must admit that I'm not excited by the download-only release [[if that's what it is - cds are also digital, and I don't see where it says download only in Andy's post above) of these 4 Tata Vega titles because
    1) I have the first two on cd already
    and
    2) I expect that the other two will only be made available as lossy downloads.

If you're looking for the first two, why not pick up the cds from Soul Music?

In a few isolated cases, given the choice of a lossy download or nothing, I did buy the lossy download - for example the Motown Unreleased 1962 & 1963. But I'll only do this in exceptional cases. If the two later Tata Vega albums are released as lossy downloads only, I'm going to pass.

I can understand if the music companies want to discontinue physical product for some titles, especially ones that they don't expect will be top sellers. But if they're going to do this, then they should give consumers the choice of buying lossless downloads so we don't have to give up audio quality unnecessarily. Furthermore, the lossless downloads should be priced reasonably - there is really no reason why they should cost [[much) more than the lossy ones [[yes, the files are bigger so require more server space and download time, but this is really a very small difference). Who knows, if they offered lossless flac files on Amazon together with the mp3 and at the same price [[or just a bit more), the lossless downloads might actually take off.

I hope the music companies wake up to this before they lose more of their customers.
    Last edited by calvin; 02-12-2014 at 12:33 PM.

I also heard the rumour of the new upcoming FUNNY GIRL cd. I liked the medley that appeared on the Supremes anthology set, it has additional backing vocals. maybe that will be included?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I also heard the rumour of the new upcoming FUNNY GIRL cd. I liked the medley that appeared on the Supremes anthology set, it has additional backing vocals. maybe that will be included?
    I wonder if there is any unreleased "FG" material that was never included on the original release. What else could be included in this set? Some "Disney" material? A mini "Talk of the Town" concert?

This definitely has the potential to be a double-set, expanded edition. And yes, to beat a dead horse, a physical release.
    Last edited by marybrewster; 02-12-2014 at 01:39 PM.

I can't believe that Supremes A'Go Go may never see the light of day. It's probably my single favorite album and I was looking forward to unreleased versions of Itching. How sad. I'd much rather have it than Funny Girl. I've never cared for FG.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I can't believe that Supremes A'Go Go may never see the light of day. It's probably my single favorite album and I was looking forward to unreleased versions of Itching. How sad. I'd much rather have it than Funny Girl. I've never cared for FG.
    Andy Skurow was very re-assuring & hopeful in his most recent appearance on Nightflight. He expressed the frustration he felt when physical releases he had been working on with Harry, George & Kevin kept being taken off the release schedule and pushed further and further back as the Universal -EMI merger gelled. He stated that the music landscape has changed so much in recent years- and Universal-EMI is still attempting to decide how they will best approach this fact.Now 16 months since the last Supremes deluxe set, he was happy to announce that some progress had been made. A few digital only re-issues [[now announced as 4 Tata Vega albums+bonus material on Feb 18 and a late March, early April digital-only release of a much requested Supremes' effort) would be offered first. These would be followed by a few physical releases [[not duplications of the digital-only releases)- some likely by this summer.Perhaps BMI & A-Go-Go might both be 2014 physical releases.

I figured something was in the works. I think the two Ross albums are finished and ready to go

Lulu Guest
    Has anyone ordered the "Ross" 1978 from Culture Factory? I got the Japanese SHM release from 2012 and the sound was flawless. This is honestly a wonderful album even if it is a hodgepodge.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Ross-Sleeve-De.../dp/B00HDPXIO0

Thanks for the update Carole.

It was issued on CD once by Motown. I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I have it as well, as a 2fer with "Love Child". Not the Japanese issue, the original Motown issue.

One question: at this point, is "Funny Girl" the ONLY Supremes/DRATS LP that's NEVER been issued on CD?

Shouldn't that ALONE warrant a physical release? Even if it's no frills/no extras/no expanded?

It was also reissued on the Culture Factory label - in fact, there seems to be quite a few different CD releases of A-GO-GO out there...

And, yes, I believe Funny Girl is the only DRATS LP that's never been officially released on CD in some capacity around the world...

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I have it as well, as a 2fer with "Love Child". Not the Japanese issue, the original Motown issue.

One question: at this point, is "Funny Girl" the ONLY Supremes/DRATS LP that's NEVER been issued on CD?

Shouldn't that ALONE warrant a physical release? Even if it's no frills/no extras/no expanded?
    To my knowledge, ON BROADWAY hasn't been released on cd either, at least not in the US.

I would prefer physical CD releases over download-only releases. I don't think I would buy a download-only release. I hope the download-only release is the Disney album since I have no interest in that album in any format.

I would especially like the Supremes Expanded Editions to continue with at least A Go-Go, HDH, Reflections and Love Child. However if the second discs of these releases would consist primarily of LIVE tracks or concerts, then I would be less interested.

I am surprised that Disc 1, of the Expanded Editions, containing the mono and stereo versions aren't available as separate releases. I would think those would be steady sellers, especially for those who are not interested in alternate, unreleased or LIVE recordings.

Yes, but not as an expanded edition. No bonus tracks, or even a better mix.

I agree. I hate "Funny Girl," and would much rather see "A Go Go" expanded upon and released. Shoot, even a re-mixed edition with enhanced background vocals would do it for me. I've never understood the fascination with FG and I don't care for Tata Vega, so this is rather disappointing news, if true.

To my knowledge, ON BROADWAY hasn't been released on cd either, at least not in the US.
    Oh, right! I forgot about GIT...

I, too, don't want the expanded editions of Supremes albums to end - they are some of my all-time favorite CD releases and I will continue to buy them as long as they're made. But, at the same time, if it's download-only, I'll make due with that. I'd be even okay with them releasing them both ways - make the physical product even more elaborate and more expensive/profitable but have a digital download option, too...wouldn't that solve the problem?

Unfortunately, this is probably lossy, meaning it isn't even the same as a CD-quality sound.
    Soulster, pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'lossy'? How would I know whether a track is lossy by listening to it?