[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

King and Queen: New box sets for Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin

I'm pretty sure that Otis Redding now holds the record for most box sets [[defining box set as three CDs or more) released for an R&B artist, which is especially amazing considering he only had a five year recording career. There was a 3-CD set [[The Otis Redding Story) released in 1990; a 4-CD set [[Otis! The Definitive Otis Redding) released in 1993; a 5-CD set [[100 Hits Legends Otis Redding) released in 2010; a 3-CD set [[Complete Stax/Volt Singles Otis Redding) released in 2013 and now this new 4-CD set [[King of Soul) in 2014. Also there have been two separate releases of five Otis Redding albums each in Warner/Rhino's Original Album Series. You would think that the Big O's fan base would be limited to baby boomers who would have acquired all the Otis they wanted a long time ago. Obviously, there is still a demand for the music he left us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Otis Redding now holds the record for most box sets [[defining box set as three CDs or more) released for an R&B artist, which is especially amazing considering he only had a five year recording career. There was a 3-CD set [[The Otis Redding Story) released in 1990; a 4-CD set [[Otis! The Definitive Otis Redding) released in 1993; a 5-CD set [[100 Hits Legends Otis Redding) released in 2010; a 3-CD set [[Complete Stax/Volt Singles Otis Redding) released in 2013 and now this new 4-CD set [[King of Soul) in 2014. Also there have been two separate releases of five Otis Redding albums each in Warner/Rhino's Original Album Series. You would think that the Big O's fan base would be limited to baby boomers who would have acquired all the Otis they wanted a long time ago. Obviously, there is still a demand for the music he left us.
    I have the first two Otis boxed sets. The first one, THE OTIS REDDING STORY, was initially released on vinyl, as a five album set, and a really good booklet. Interestingly enough, in it Otis' manager says that there was some discussion of Otis doing a duet album with Aretha.

Aretha also has a 100 Hits collection. Content wise, it turned out to be better than the boxed set that Atlantic put out in 1992, as it contained five discs of material, as opposed to four. But there are no notes at all, and the cover is generic to the series.

Reese, when was that 100 Hits collection released? I'm wondering how much of her most current stuff is included and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Reese, when was that 100 Hits collection released? I'm wondering how much of her most current stuff is included and thanks.
    Ii was released in 2010, and covers the Atlantic period from 1967 - 1976.

Has anyone heard any further news on the previously reported released of Aretha's last few Atlantic recordings which are never released in the U.S. and Canada on CD and were to have previously unreleased cuts on them?

Lulu Guest
    For those who can't wait for a domestic release re: the last 5 Aretha albums [[well, technically Sparkle came along in the midst of these), there is a seller in Estonia called "ruthem" who lists them on eBay quite frequently. I got With Everything I Feel In Me, You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire, and La Diva for about $20 each. She is an excellent seller and super fast shipper. Check it out as she seems to have quite a good selection ongoing:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ruthem

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    For those who can't wait for a domestic release re: the last 5 Aretha albums [[well, technically Sparkle came along in the midst of these), there is a seller in Estonia called "ruthem" who lists them on eBay quite frequently. I got With Everything I Feel In Me, You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire, and La Diva for about $20 each. She is an excellent seller and super fast shipper. Check it out as she seems to have quite a good selection ongoing:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ruthem
    The problem with these CDs is that they are bootlegs. Well done on the outside, but bootlegs. Check out "La diva": Why would Atlantic reissue the album with three bonus tracks from Arethas first Arista album? Save your money, guys!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstevie View Post
    The problem with these CDs is that they are bootlegs. Well done on the outside, but bootlegs. Check out "La diva": Why would Atlantic reissue the album with three bonus tracks from Arethas first Arista album? Save your money, guys!
    How are they bootlegs? They were manufactured by BMG, Ariola, S.A. EU and clearly say "Manufactured and distributed under license by Atlantic Corporation". Are you saying that's fake? Not to mention ARISTA has been under ARIOLA in Germany since 1979.

I got the new Aretha Rhino box but found it very disappointing that there is no nice booklet inside. There are no new or unreleased versions in this set!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I got the new Aretha Rhino box but found it very disappointing that there is no nice booklet inside. There are no new or unreleased versions in this set!
    Good to know. So the track listing is only the one printed on the back? No songwriting or production credits?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    How are they bootlegs? They were manufactured by BMG, Ariola, S.A. EU and clearly say "Manufactured and distributed under license by Atlantic Corporation". Are you saying that's fake? Not to mention ARISTA has been under ARIOLA in Germany since 1979.
    Hey Lulu,

check out the "You" CD. It says Copyright 2008 BMG Ariola. In that year BMG Ariola didnīt exist anymore anywhere in the world. It was SonyBMG and after that it was Sony. As I said these estonian CDs are very cleverly done but they are fakes. The albums by Aretha have never been released anywhere in the world. As far as I know she owns the masters and it was reported last year that she agreed to have them reissued through Universal. But that hasnīt happened yet. The seller also offers several Jermaine Jackson CDs from his Motown years. Also fakes as has been discussed on this forum. Except for the 1972 debut and "Letīs get serious" no Jermaine Jackson Motown Album has been reissued on CD. If you seach Ebay regularly you`ll find that this guy offers the same CDs again and again. And he`s the only one in the world who offers them. Could it be that he produces them in his basement? Also check out the few negative comments.

Lulu Guest
    Hey Lulu,

check out the "You" CD. It says Copyright 2008 BMG Ariola. In that year BMG Ariola didnīt exist anymore anywhere in the world. It was SonyBMG and after that it was Sony. As I said these estonian CDs are very cleverly done but they are fakes. The albums by Aretha have never been released anywhere in the world. As far as I know she owns the masters and it was reported last year that she agreed to have them reissued through Universal. But that hasnīt happened yet. The seller also offers several Jermaine Jackson CDs from his Motown years. Also fakes as has been discussed on this forum. Except for the 1972 debut and "Letīs get serious" no Jermaine Jackson Motown Album has been reissued on CD. If you seach Ebay regularly you`ll find that this guy offers the same CDs again and again. And he`s the only one in the world who offers them. Could it be that he produces them in his basement? Also check out the few negative comments.
    Believe me, no one wants a proper domestic set of expanded reissues than me! I seem to take a liking to certain artist's lower points! He sure does put a lot of effort into them. The sound quality isn't pristine but it's much cleaner than some of my vinyl rips and I have seen them on Amazon occasionally as well as listed on discogs for each album entry. As I said, the seller's communication was top notch and the packaging and shipping time were better than many domestic CD purchases. Also note, he has FIVE negative reviews and 2,140 positive.

Here are some scans of Sweet Passion in the event no one has posted an example before:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, itīs your money. If you wanna spend it on bootlegs, thatīs fine with me. I'd rather wait for the real thing. And if that never happens I can live with my vinyl. Besides these albums arenīt very good, "With everything.." and "You" have their moments, but the other two had to be real cheap for me to one day buy them on CD.

But from checking your pics I agree that a lot of effort is being put into these CDs. Thats why it is so hard these days to tell the real thing from the fake.

Lulu Guest
    Well, itīs your money. If you wanna spend it on bootlegs, thatīs fine with me. I'd rather wait for the real thing. And if that never happens I can live with my vinyl. Besides these albums arenīt very good, "With everything.." and "You" have their moments, but the other two had to be real cheap for me to one day buy them on CD.
    I totally agree...as I said, definitely looking forward to seeing them released here in the states with bonus tracks!

Lulu:
    there is info inside a thin leaflet about the tracks and from which album they came , but thats all!