[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes - The Stranger

Well I couldn't go without posting something from 'my girls'. I have too many favs so finally chose this one. The Ivy Jo penned 'The Stranger' which Wanda's vocals weave in and out of painting a picture of this tall, dark, dangerous, sexy, stranger.

Last edited by copley; 11-02-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: amending song writers name

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Well I couldn't go without posting something from 'my girls'. I have too many favs so finally chose this one. The Smokey penned 'The Stranger' which Wanda's vocals weave in and out of painting a picture of this tall, dark, dangerous, sexy, stranger.

I'd have to give Gladys Knight and the Pips' version the edge here. Great arrangement, production and another hair raising vocal by Gladys.

I don't have the record in front of me. But wasn't THE STRANGER a Ivy Hunter composition/production?

Reese, you spotted my deliberate mistake - lol!

Marvelettes every time..SUPERB..Paulo xxxxx

Not one of thier best..album filler at best!

I beg to differ. If you regard this as album filler at best, try and listen to the last few Diana Ross & Spremes albums. now thats ALL filler, sans a couple of tracks..Paulo XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    i beg to differ. If you regard this as album filler at best, try and listen to the last few diana ross & spremes albums. Now thats all filler, sans a couple of tracks..paulo xxxx
    oh,it's nothing wrong with their singing,it's just not a very good song.

I agree. Not single material.

The Marvelettes! Not filler in my opinion, but ESSENTIAL.

WELL, THEY ALL ARE!!!!! Bring on Volume 2...Paulo XXX

I think it's a very good song. Wanda sings it with an aching longing in her voice that makes me want to put my arms around her and tell her that everything's going to be all right.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    i think it's a very good song. Wanda sings it with an aching longing in her voice that makes me want to put my arms around her and tell her that everything's going to be all right.
    yeah,as fine as wanda was i see your point!

Filler or not, it's a funky little number. I'm turning into a Marvelettes fan [[I've always been an admirer but now...I can see why so many Motown fans love them).

The Marvelettes are the real deal!

MM, so glad that you've got it. That's why they are 'my girls'.

Since the 60's, I've always seemed to love my favourite Motown acts in equal measures, and for different reasons.

I love the two versions of 'The Stranger' by The Marvelettes, and also Gladys Knight & The Pips, again for different reasons.

That said, I do have a special fondness for The Marvelettes version, for its more unusual production, Wanda's more shaded and subtle interpretation and, very importantly, the other Marvelettes are actually audible on the recording!

That does it for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    MM, so glad that you've got it. That's why they are 'my girls'.
    Mmhmm. I did hear Gladys' version and while that version was fine, the Marvelettes had a certain KNOCK in their version.