[REMOVE ADS]

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 18 58 ... LastLast
    Excellent post. Sometimes, I wonder why people feel compelled to want to be at the top of the food chain. If we were all white males with gray eyes and red hair, then the fat ones and skinny ones would find a reason to hate each other, just as the tall would have enmity with the short. I'm absolutely convinced of this.

And that's why I love Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles". It's soooo offensive to everybody. But I would swear they're laughing with everybody by laughing at everybody. Can you imagine someone producing a movie like that in 2014? It wouldn't find a distributor.

[[Thank you, Jerry.)

It's ego that drives us to the top of the food chain. Nothing wrong with that, only when, again, it is linked with unhappiness. Big egos found in happy people can be inspirational.

There's a primal instinct, a potential conflict in all of us. Do we bond with others, adopting a flock mentality and safety in numbers - as in 'birds of a feather' - or do we assert ourselves as 'individuals', with the inference that 'individual' must mean superior, to offset the potential of vulnerability - ?

Do you really think a film like Blazing Saddles wouldn't fly in these times? I believe the British, as a race, love a good-natured send-up. It is, in essence, a compliment. If people in general can recognise who is being sent-up, lampooned etc, then that person or group of people must have a recognisable style.

That said,I would agree that life has become very sophisticated in the true sense of the word, but that could be a result of society trying to protect those who are different, and who could be hurt because of that. . A double-edged sword, and strange, when in openly accepting people from all walks of life also means being very careful what you say about them!

As regards members of minority groups [[of which I am one - well maybe two, if you count lefthanded LOL)) I'd say it is essential to be oneself and take it right to the line, but always good-mannered, and never offensive.

It is infinitely possible to respect someone without liking them, and no-one looks good by being negative towards someone from a minority group, when that person may be 'different', but is actually conducting themself impeccably.

Sunday Soapbox LOL

Well gang,it's snowing again in sunny d.c. It's kinda cryptic.

We've been in the 40s and 50s in Columbus for these last few days. Someone mentioned snow on the horizon, but I don't think we'll get it. It was in the low 30s when I came to work this morning, wind chills were in the 20s. I'm good at this point, though. Stick a fork in winter and kiss her goodbye. I wouldn't worry about her because she will be coming back soon enough.

Winter will return but in a new outfit of brighter colours, simply as an understudy until Spring, the real star, takes over the seasonal role once again......

Ah, but I was talking about winter returning in late November/December. There's nothing that is coming at me in the next six months that I'm going to classify as "winter" after what we just went through.

It's just my state of mind, right now.

Ah yes, I see.

My state of mind too, and I was checking out the flowers and new shoots in the garden this morning, hoping we can say goodbye to all that bad weather for a while.

In the meantime, there will be a lot of longer days, and in the nicest possible way.

All of my days are long right now... Two straight weeks of overtime [[weekends included) will do that to you.

Hope,while you're inside, you're still able to enjoy the lengthening daylight hours outside

It's still dark when I go in and sometimes dark when I leave. My "daylight" is what creeps into the 8" x 24" [[or thereabouts) windows on the overhead doors on our shipping docks.

It only needs Evillene to complete the picture.

Let's hope this forum serves as a small but effective window in your world.

This place is great. I'm glad I found it. It's hard to believe I've on it for two years now but I wish I was here in its oft-cited heyday.

Today is a good enough heyday for me.

There are currently around 2200 members on SDF. In terms of actual posts made on the forum [[at least since August 2010), you are #25.

Most members post rarely, if ever. Of the 400 + members who are considered as currently active, you are generally in top 5 - and looking at posts made by members last month, were #2.

There's always the possibility that anyone from the 'heyday' who is still alive, is able and cares to post will then do so, at any time, whenever they can.

Not posting as much is their own choice, and reflects their own circumstances, their available free time and their interest - and I'm not one who believes that people stop posting simply because one or two of the other members get a little heated at times....LOL
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Thankfully, the temperature has been relatively cool of late. What's to get emotional about anyway? Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Yes, we all have an equal opportunity to say what we feel, whenever we feel it.

I always imagine the SDF forum to be a little like a concourse, precinct or shopping mall. Some general noise and chatter, a hubbub with an occasional crescendo.

As I make my way across the concourse, I pass people in conversation - sometimes heatedly, which I note, and then manoeuvre around them.

Except I don't actually move, I just read it on the screen, and visualise it

I imagine it to be a house party where everybody loves music but everybody does not agree with the music requests being made. Of course, most take the opportunity to have a fascinating discussion. It's all love, right?

But that is not everybody. Some cannot agree to disagree, so instead of waiting for their song to be played, they complain about the person who requested the current song and denigrate the artist as if there was something personal between them. Every so often, there is the din of two "adults" beating each other to a pulp over something silly and many party-goers shrug their shoulders, look at the clock, and decide to go home for the night.

It was a good party, too. Most liked it enough to come back next week, but some feel that they don't mix well with that crowd. And of course, others will come back so long as the hooch is good and in plentiful supply...
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 03-18-2014 at 10:20 PM.

I'll drink to that.

I'll have what you spill....

Unless he drinks from a titanium sippy cup. It's not the manliest container, but it is surely the best way not to waste hooch, IMO.

...also, a good way not to alert anyone to the fact that you even have any hooch with you...

Well, the fact that a grown man has a sippy cup might let others know that something is amiss. That and the blue smoke coming from the straw...

Yes, the blue smoke ; you'd normally expect that from the electric chair....

Or from the hair salons. Nothing is so sublime as fried and crimped blue hair. What kind of hooch does one drink to think that blue hair is a wise choice?

On extremely clean, expertly styled hair, and under night lights, hair completely or partially coloured blue or pink can be quite a good look, in my opinion.

It also has to be displayed by a young person, with a good figure, good deportment and good demeanour.

You can see that I've set the bar quite high there, can't you....

I see, I see. For me, there has to be a level of confidence to go with something like that before it would work. I find the confidence very attractive, if not the hair. If they can make me forget the hair [[not an easy task), then it's a good look for them. If their demeanor is not sufficiently outgoing, without being silly or immature, then it makes them look more like attention-seekers and I abhor attention-seekers. So, I see your high bar and raise it just a little bit more, proving myself to be at least as shallow-minded as those I claim to have a problem with...

I'd say you were selective, which is fine. Most of us are the same, at least on some things.

Isn't it said that, on first sight, we assess others in a frighteningly quick time...?
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-21-2014 at 05:25 AM.

You won't get a second chance to make a first impression...

It probably works fastest when the impression is favourable, so I guess the subconscious must go into overdrive, to achieve it.

I don't know about that... My dad can tell that a man is stupid if he has tattoos and dreadlocks. I hear it constantly while watching sports. "Look at that! Why would somebody be stupid enough to look like that? That's ugly!"

"But, Dad," I protest in vain, "if the girls thought that it was ugly, the guys wouldn't look that way." At this point I get a look from him that seems to suggest that he somehow raised a stupid boy to stupid manhood...

As they say, just ain't no accounting for taste.....

Yeah. I'm pretty sure his dad wasn't cool with 98% of the fashions he and his friends wore in the '50s, but if so, he forgets that.

BLUE SMOKE,UMM NO MORE OF A GRAY CHOKING FUME...[but we aren't responsible for any and all damage that may and more than likely will occur during constriction].

Constriction. Are there some sort of weird practices involved with the enjoyment of hooch?

He's just describing what happens to your air passages after imbibing. Constricted air ways, nose bleeds, lack of feeling in your extremities, erections lasting longer than four hours, and a few unfortunately terse words to people who really didn't know that you behaved that way are just some of the side effects of hooch. Ask your doctor if you are at risk before prescribing.

Only Michael Jackson's doctor would write a prescription which had side effects like that.

If global warming is so bad, why are we still getting so much snow?

Quite, 144man, although I can understand there is both a lighthearted and a more serious side to your comment.

I can also understand that the weather has always moved in cycles, for reasons which are not easily understood, if at all, by we humans, and just accepted as being Mother Nature at work.

Now, experts examining the factors said to be affecting the pattern of weather then give them titles such as 'global warming' - as if we all could and should do something about it...but does it make any real difference?
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-21-2014 at 04:34 PM.

It's too late. The end is near. Call your loved ones to tell them that you'll be turning up the air conditioner and watching old DVDs of "Lost" until time runs out.

Weren't we all going to do that, anyway?

Well, last week we were going to call our loved ones to tell them we were going to turn up the furnace and watch DVDs of Star Trek until time runs out. Spring happened since then so it's time for a new weather complaint and a different old TV series.

I feel I could well be on this forum until time runs out.......

And it will run out for each of us, eventually. Best to enjoy the party until the music stops.

I wonder if will have a definite ending or just fadeout.

Whichever it is, I'm looking for an extended version - and I'm hoping midnight johnny will provide it....

I hate to be the bearer of bad tides,but we aren't going anywhere...[i don't mean the rest of the world just us here on the post]you see i sorta spilled of mist left over from the mixing of this wonderful elixur which means we're gonna be here for awhile,so pull up a chair and get comfy.

So, it's booze AND embalming fluid? You have to put it on the market ASAP.

IT'S ALREADY ON THE MARKET[well kinda sorta the black market]THOSE PESKY FOLKS FROM THE EPA-THE CIA-THE PTA-NASA[just because I borrowed a tiny bit of rocket fuel]BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS...THEY WON'T LET ME ADVERTISE.

Nowhere to be seen, so must have sold out.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-22-2014 at 07:46 PM.

It cannot be seen because it is sold in the black market, which only opens at night. I don't know why they don't pay their light bill...

Too bad. They've been making light of their responsibilities.....