[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 53 ... LastLast
    Oh, it's coming!!!!!!!!!!!

This hibernation thing has a lot going for it.

Hoo boy... Predicting 1-2" per hour between 8:00 PM and midnight. That should be followed by a mild uptick in temperatures which will turn into just enough rain to cover everything in ice by the time I wake up tomorrow morning.

Winter olympics? I might need a gold medal if I can safely navigate my way to work...

Well gang we're preparing for an ice storm...which means it will barly cover the sidewalks and the federal government will declare a state of emergency for d.c. And all cities within 500 blocks.

I'll ski jump over to Columbus [[by way of 30 and 71) to pick you up Jerry!!

WELL GANG THERE'RE TALKING EIGHT INCHES FOR D.C. IN A COUPLE DAYS[YEAH RIGHT]MORE LIKE[EIGHT TENTHS OF AN INCH]WELL THE PANIC IS ALREADY SPREADING THE SHELEVES ARE EMPTYING AS I TYPE THIS...[there's a dude selling bags of salt,but out of paper bags]WELL I SEE A GOOD SPOT DOWN ON THE CORNER A GOOD SPOT TO SET UP MY HOOCHSTAND..OPPS-ER-AHEM-HEHE...EMERGENCY REFRESHMENT CENTER..OPPS ARE THOSE SIRENS I HEAR,GOTTA RUN.

Better check the toilet paper & bread. Those are the first things to go! Now, after living near the DC/Baltimore area I know how they'll panic so your hooch might correct that situation!!

We wound up with 10+ inches last week. That was bad enough, but the 2 or so inches that fell on Sunday must have fallen quickly because the city couldn't plow the streets fast enough. My 10 minute commute to church took twice as long and my tiny little car wondered why I didn't take the 4-wheel drive truck instead. As did my wife... And my parents... And the people at church...

Anyway, we're going to be at sub-freezing temps at least until the weekend and there's no opportunity in the forecast for the snow to thaw for another week. Happy happy, joy joy!

The welcome we will all give to Spring this year will be especially heartfelt.

It is likely to be glorious - but we've just got to get there. There are signs already....

We may not live to see the Spring, amigo. Best to look outside, see the pouring rain, and be thankful that you have another day [[today; any day). I hope that my detailing of how bad our weather has been this winter is not taken as a complaint.

Don't be so dreary, Jerry LOL

You shall almost certainly live to see another Spring, and still see good in every day before that Spring arrives

I, for one, do not see your or anyone else's reporting of the weather as a complaint - as you are reporting on weather conditions which have most certainly been phenomenal. Our UK winter rainfall is now officially the worst since 1766......

I saw that on the evening news. I hope you have your inflatable raft at the ready, along with a can of Fix-A-Flat...

This is your roving correspondent, posting to you from the top branches of a very tall tree...

"...From where I can tell you that after having to urinate, I dropped my zipper and let "Mr. Happy" fall into the water. I can tell you beyond a doubt that the water here is quite cold. And also very deep."

[[To borrow from an old Richard Pryor joke...)

In this cold weather, there is nothing to brag about, that's a fact.

And, in the top of this tree, any time it starts to rain again [[which seems to be all the time) I'm the first to know...

Hey west i'm coming over there...i'll be the one in the [yellow submarine].

Then I will keep an eye out for you arr&bee, with my long range telescope, trained out to the English Channel.

I will tell everyone else to watch out for you. If I don't, they will think we are, once again, being threatened with invasion.....

The yellow submarine probably runs on his hooch!!!

It will be a hooch guzzler, of that I have no doubt!

In Somerset, a Red Cross boat reached a family stranded by the floods. The father shouts, "Have you come to save us?". They reply, "No, we're here collecting donations for Syria".

It was reported today that a family in Somerset, stranded by the floods, were able to escape by floating to safety on an upturned Red Cross boat.

They were unable to give any information on the whereabouts of the crew.

There is a serious point to make here, however, namely the assignment of priorities when resources are limited. It is a constant balancing act between the urgent and the important.

If you mean using financial resources for UK residents in crisis situations such as the flooding, instead of to foreign aid, I think the whole country would be in agreement.

Of course what is "urgent" and what is "important" depends on what side of the street you happen to be standing when the situation arises. Here in the states, public welfare support for individuals is constantly debated by conservatives and progressives. Many of those who think that those "lazy people should get off their *sses and get a job" are up in arms over any reduction in farm subsidies or corporate tax breaks. Many who complain that we should be much more considerate of when to use public money to help those affected by hurricanes complain about the time taken to consider how much should be given to them when they're affected by tornadoes or floods.

Well we actually got more than two inches the other day and today it's 50 degrees and the flooding will begin..hey west i'll be the one floating down the thames with a keg o hooch,a drunk parrot and a wooden keg...yo ho ho.

£21.2 billion has been allocated to HS2, a transport system affecting 8 out of the 10 largest cities in the UK. The main benefits will be a transport hub for the Midlands and a reduction of the journey time between London and Birmingham by a mere half-hour. This could be considered necessary, but it's not particularly urgent. Costs are bound to spiral out of control. The money would be much better spent on urgent projects such as repairing flood damage, dredging and improving flood defences.

.....and, no matter what it costs, the Thames must be protected and defended against the threat of arr&bee floating down it,, like something out of 'Treasure Island'.

London would have to be evacuated!

Um excuse this dumb yank but,can't ol queen whatshername just ya know go into petty cash and help ya'll out?

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    .....and, no matter what it costs, the thames must be protected and defended against the threat of arr&bee floating down it,, like something out of 'treasure island'.

London would have to be evacuated!
    westgrand i have just one word for you...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

"Hoochbeard the Pirate"... Coming soon to theatres everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Um excuse this dumb yank but,can't ol queen whatshername just ya know go into petty cash and help ya'll out?
    The Queen is well known to keep a tight reign on her petty cash.

And the rest goes on racehorses.

........and her Corghis

Yes, those dogs are a real indulgence of HM!

I wonder if royal mutts ask each other "excuse me, but do you have any Grey Poop?"

"No....mine is Brown like the rest of us." LOL

Those corgis [[and there was at least one 'dorgi', at some point) don't always remember their house training.......

And that must be where the record rainfall comes into the picture... One seriously royal flush to give the butlers a break...

In terms of longevity, it has certainly been a record reign.

Of that there is no dispute!!

Her grip on the throne is more like a royal Pit Bull than a Corgi...

Ha! Well, I'd say perhaps more like a dutiful, faithful retriever.

The Queen continues her life's work on behalf of 'The Firm' with great dedication, maintaining a steady pace, often accompanied by Prince Philip. I expect she will do so, as and when the time comes when she will be without him.

Next year, she is set to surpass Queen Victoria's record as longest reigning British monarch.

Long overseas tours will probably be curtailed, but Charles is more often attending in her place.

Your first sentence made me laugh just as a co-worker walked up and picked something from my desk... I sometimes wonder if she feels she's better suited to sit on the throne than Prince Charles and wants to make sure his rule is as short as possible. Perhaps if she had a more-worthy heir, she would have retired long ago.

I say this with zero knowledge of his worthiness or her thought process. Just speculation on my part...

Well, the real truth is something akin to the following :

The Royal Family lives a life quite unlike the rest of us.

The Queen and her family appear to live with real privileges - which is true, compared to the vast majority of the people.

They are often quoted as having great wealth and, again, they certainly do, when compared to everybody else. That is the life, either into which they were born [[for example, The Queen) or into which they marry.

In many ways, they are custodians, and are responsible for carrying out their duties, the same as the rest of us - except they are responsible to the nation. They can't be anonymous, if and when it suits them, as can the rest of us.

It is often discussed that The Queen should abdicate in favour of her eldest son Charles - in a similar process as happened recently the Netherlands.

It isn't going to happen in the UK. The Queen gave a solemn promise to do her best for her people, and that's what she's done, and will continue to do, for as long as she lives. Only death, or an Act of Parliament [[because she wishes to abdicate), would release her from her duties, and it's not in her character to do that.

The Queen's official duties will be increasingly shared until she passes away, then Charles will become King, as is his right.

As is often mooted, the throne will not pass to William until Charles passes away, if only because it cannot. It would take a huge amount of legal and constitutional upheaval [[Acts of Parliament etc).

The Queen does not have the option of retirement in the sense which we understand the word. Retirement is a word used by ordinary people like us - but, as I said, their's is an extraordinary life, and not one I would wish to lead.

It's interesting that you say 'if she had a more worthy heir', which does sound less than positive. I think I could guess one good reason, but am curious as to what may have influenced your thoughts on that...
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 02-17-2014 at 10:17 AM.

There is a sense over here that she could step down but simply chooses not to. [[What does the rabble know of higher things?) That leads to thoughts that perhaps she doesn't because he wouldn't be a better king than she is a queen. Of course, I have no knowledge of the propriety of a royal abdicating her title.

With that being said, I'd prefer her as my queen to him as king. She seems stuffy, but I think that she appears to appreciate her subjects more than Charles does even if she cannot relate to them. I hate to make character judgments, but I'd prefer to have an audience with her than him... She's kind of cool to me.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 02-17-2014 at 11:28 AM.

HM The Queen is of a different generation from us, and I think that makes a real difference. She comes from a different time, with a different set of values. And she, simply by birth, has been put into an extraordinary position.

She is a conservative woman, with an eye towards tradition. Being royal, that has to be formal. I know exactly what you mean by 'stuffy', as she's a stickler for protocol - but maybe you've not yet seen her really laugh, or excited.

Charles is just a little older than me. If I had the chance to walk around his garden and farm, and listen to him, I am certain he would be fascinating company. In that way, he is more approachable, and reflects his own generation.

It's not for me to say how you feel, but the image you may have received of Charles via the media is very likely to be a direct result of the extremely unfortunate, sad situation which arose from his first marriage to Diana and, more particularly, the tragic outcome.

We should rename this thread "let it reign! let it reign! let it reign!"

AHHH ROYALTY,I REMEMBER WHEN I INHERITED THIS WONDERFUL ELIXUR FROM HE WHO PASSED OUT BEFORE ME...[hey he passed out and times being what they were I excepted the job]AND LUCKILY TO THIS DAY HE WHO PASSED OUT BEFORE ME HASN'T WOKE UP YET,YES HEAVY IS THE HEAD THAT WEARS THE HANGOVER...AND SOMEDAY HE WHO IS WAITING FOR ME TO PASS OUT WILL STAGGER IN AND RULE.

Beware poisoned chalices!

There are over 2000 members of Soulful Detroit.

Arr&bee, on present showing, I'm certain you will pass out before every one of us........that leaves only one thing.

Mob Rule.

I suddenly imagine King Arthur looking for arr&bee's Holy Moley Grail! [[exclamation point intended), which is the only cup strong enough to withstand the bubbling tempest tempest that he's perfected.

The king is somewhat peeved that the knights believe he sampled it before the royal festivities. "Well, you majesty," Sir Lancelot begins, "perhaps the fact that there is smoke billowing from your ears would be our first clue..."

"We're looking, Sire, for The Sword In The Stone".

Too late, for it has dissolved.

And the Round Table was once square, before the hooch was used to test its efficacy as furniture polish.