[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 12 52 ... LastLast
    It's OK with me if it comes with a slice of lemon.....

The kind of ice I'm driving through to get to work comes with polar bears, amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The kind of ice I'm driving through to get to work comes with polar bears, amigo.
    Jerry you're in Ohio right? How bad is it now in Columbus?

We received eight inches over the weekend. Temperatures are now in the single digits and headed for -10 degrees tomorrow with wind chills up to -30 degrees. Thank God, the city of Columbus does an excellent job of clearing streets in even the worst snowfalls. I made it to work and home without incident after a couple of the scariest drives that I can recall this past weekend.

Here in mild and wet [[but about to become very cold) UK, I'm trying to visualise what it must be like to experience those 30+ inches of snow in Detroit, and wonder if there are any problems once it starts to thaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    We received eight inches over the weekend. Temperatures are now in the single digits and headed for -10 degrees tomorrow with wind chills up to -30 degrees. Thank God, the city of Columbus does an excellent job of clearing streets in even the worst snowfalls. I made it to work and home without incident after a couple of the scariest drives that I can recall this past weekend.
    I remember in the 70's we would boast that Ohio and Michigan were snow removal experts! It would take a monster blizzard to stop everything. Otherwise it was business as usual.

I'm REALLY hating this weather. It's the worst that since I've been here in New York. I mean, sure, the last storm shut down post for two days in a row, but when you have to drive in it the mess it's WAY worse. Take this morning for example. I had to run an errand, and the wind was blowing really bad this morning that it made seem like the temperature was in the negatives again. What made it worse was the blowing snow. It made the white out conditions worse than what they were, especially when you can't see two inches in front of your car. I wanna say I'll be happy when I move to Georgia, but the South is getting snow too. I mean, there's just no end to it.

The weather this winter does seem exceptionally extreme. Maybe the pattern of the weather is a result of nature balancing itself. We seem to have had drier seasons in recent years here in UK.

The experts keep referring to global warming, which isn't exactly helpful when we need to get around.

I hope the weather will improve enough to have "Nightflight" tonight.

It May Be Shelley Winters Outside But In My Heart It's Spring Byington

[[Meth2 : )

"No Matter How Long The Winter, Spring Is Sure To Follow"

Fine. Now hurry....

The thermometer in my truck read minus 12 this morning. Sad to think that there are some who are scrambling to get off the streets on a day like today... A few weeks ago, I went to the post office at 5:30 AM [[before going to work) on another bitterly cold day and saw a homeless man sleeping on the floor of the lobby. Two weeks later, there was a sign notifying everyone that the post office would be closing during non-business hours until further notice. I'm positive that somebody probably complained about him. I hope that it wasn't just because he was there, though.

Of course you all realize that in six months we'll be writing about a heat wave...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

The question is, would we rather have the 110 degree heat in Australia or the minus 10 degree freezing cold in the US? I'd rather take 72 degrees and sunny where ever I can get it...

Snow and cold temperatures mean darker, shorter days.

Sunshine and higher temperatures mean lighter, longer days so, of course, I agree with you, Jerry

Seasonal affect disorder!! Look at R&B: doesn't matter what the season [[he still affects us!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Of course you all realize that in six months we'll be writing about a heat wave...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    And--arguably--the First Lady of Motown Records. [[But I ain't goin' there now. Or then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    And--arguably--the First Lady of Motown Records. [[But I ain't goin' there now. Or then.)

Ha! Change the subject quick - or discuss by way of personal messages

"We take the personal public. We have to. We're Soulful Detroit."

OK, back to the weather. How are things today?

It's raining men!

I'd better turn my umbrella upside down, and have a party.

Hallelujah!

There is a campaign to get "It's Raining Men" back in the UK charts as a protest against the Winter Olympics being held in Sochi.

To show what good sports they really are, the Mayor of Sochi and his supporters could offer to open the Winter Olympics as the first, and only competitors at Russian Roulette.

It's okay. We here in Mother Russia will not necessarily harrass you for being gay during the Olympics.

But please, leave the children in peace... Wait, WTF?!

I'm by no means a militant by nature, and everyone else has their own story. I just need to be sure of what I can fairly claim as my right, if I feel I have to do so.

Some say all politics are 'local'. If I were a gay athlete, and was told I was welcome to participate in a local championship event, but only if I would agree not even to look at the adult male sons of the spectators and other competitors, I would feel I would have to decline.

I would feel the same about going to the Winter Olympics in Russia. It's their country, and their laws. Easier not to go if there is a potential for being viewed as unacceptable, but not to attend would harm my career chances.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 01-29-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Not attending also makes more difficult for the next one, WGB. Every step toward progress leads to the next and to put it off for someone else in four years makes it take that much longer. That is enough time for thousands to give up on their dreams.

Mary Wilson once said : 'Dreams don't die, people just stop dreaming'.

People do that all the time, and sometimes it is for the best, but perhaps that is better than never having a dream at all.

I suppose it depends on how much a person wants something, and how hard they have to fight to get it.

I'm not an athlete, so imagining myself not competing in the Winter Olympics won't present such a problem, will it....

The dreams of youth become the regrets of maturity. ​That it's one of my favorite quotes to ponder. After finding out where the fences of our possibilities are, we sometimes stop looking beyond. Sad, because the only fences to possibility are placed there by the dreamer.

Maybe dreams are carried through life as a form of reassurance, there simply to add softer edges to the harsh realities.

I'm dreaming of warm, sunny days at the beach right now instead of the frozen wasteland that I'm seeing every day...

The weatherman says we are getting 6 more inches of snow on Saturday.

Hey ralph you're in michigan,i know you're having a good laugh at us wimps in d.c.closing down over two inches,it wasn't always that way though,back in the day nothing closed especially schools,we put on those rubber boots and made out way[laughing through it all]being kids we weren't bothered by a little snow[about a foot or more]but these new folks[millenials?]wimps.

Hah! Remember when old folks used to tell us about how bad it was "back in my day..."? Now, we're the old folks! I remember having to walk two miles to school, no matter the weather because our school never shut down for "calamity days" like they do now. The only time that I can recall being shut down was during the blizzard of '77 and the day that we had threat of tornadoes in 1978. Instead of assembling in the basement, they told all the kids to go home.

Now, circle back to when I said that I walked two miles to get to school. Guess how I had to get home when the tornadoes were swirling and school was dismissed early that day?

I feel really sorry about what happened in Atlanta. I have a sister down there so I know how it is, even though I live in New York and I've grown accustomed to driving in snow.

In many ways, we're more fortunate here in the UK, as the weather this month has broken the all-time record for January in any year - but,for rain.

Still, very bad for people being completely flooded and had to move out of their homes, or lost power - or even lost their lives.

Here's to a beautiful Spring for all - which I hope might arrive a little earlier this year

Let's all consider those who have witnessed tragedy and appreciate the fact that we [[hopefully) have been blessed with another day looking at it from the outside. We all experience it eventually, so we might as well be grateful if today was another uneventful day.

Yes, absolutely.

But you made me pause to reflect. I guess you mean a day that could seem uneventful to any of us, at some time.

Can a day be truly uneventful?

Most see there to be two types of days: remarkable and mundane. I see everyday to be miraculous, so although it may be boring, I submit that there are only remarkable days.

Yes, there's always something good to note in every day.

If there isn't, that's probably our own fault

Every time I catch somebody sulking at work, I bug them by asking them to get over it. From a logical standpoint, think about it: You're not going to be upset forever over whatever it is that someone said or did, so do yourself a favor and put it aside now. They usually consider it, but they feel like they owe it to themselves [[and the other guy) to stay mad for some undetermined amount of time.

I'm working hard to get to the point that I won't permit somebody else to ruin my day and the reason is as you stated: If they spoil my day, it's because I let them do it. So, it's more my fault than theirs.

Yes, the time you spend on people who are acting negatively, could be time wasted on trying to act positively yourself.

Though I might perhaps not actually tell them to get over it [[i.e. an instruction), but either ask them if I can help them get over it - or at least act as if I can [[as in working together with a problem)

But then, I haven't met the people at your place of work, have I....

I don't exactly give them orders. Actually, I ask them to do themselves a favor. Usually, it goes like this:
    "Do you think that at this time tomorrow, you'll be upset over this? Probably not. It's more likely that you'll have forgotten it before you go to bed tonight, so it's obviously not something that should dominate your day. Now, since we both know that you are going to move on from this issue, do yourself a favor and just do it now. Get over it because you're going do it anyway."

Sometimes I get a reaction that's positive, but a few times, they consider it, realize that I'm right, but then start their response with "Yeah, but..." I guess we sometimes are happier when we are unhappy.

It could depend on exactly what's making them unhappy - and the degree of inability [[or reluctance?) they are feeling, in dealing with it??

At home, they might go about their daily routine quietly while mulling it over.

At work, surrounded by colleagues, that is tricky. Work comes first, but hard to put worries aside, and disguise feelings without appearing totally withdrawn.

Snowing here in NE Ohio............

Everyone able to get back and forth to work OK?

Most of the snow in Columbus has melted...

Would that be due to warmer temperatures at times, but sky remaining cloudy and overcast, with perhaps ice - or because you've had sunshine?

Here, it remains grey and overcast - and more heavy rain is forecast over the next couple of weeks...

It warmed up to the 40s [[fahrenheit) on Saturday, but it dipped back down today. There was another winter storm that belted the state two counties south of mine last night. We're expecting another heavy blanket of snow in my area tomorrow night, so the fun never ends...