[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smark21 Guest

Review of Mary Wilson/4 Tops Holiday Spectacular in Chicago

Mary Wilson and the Four Tops: Odd and singers reconcile
    BY DAVE HOEKSTRA Staff Reporter December 24, 2013 12:44PM

Mary Wilssings with Four Tops Harris Theater. | Michael Brosilow
    Mary Wilson sings with the Four Tops at the Harris Theater. | Michael Brosilow

‘MARY WILSON’S HOLIDAY
    SPECTACULAR...’

Somewhat recommended

When: 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday and Jan. 2-5; 3 p.m. Saturday and Jan. 4; 7 p.m. Dec. 31

Where: Harris Theater, 205 E. Randolph

Tickets: $59.99-$119.99

Info: [[312) 334-7777 ; ticketmaster.com

Updated: December 24, 2013 1:39PM

Sugar Pie.

Honey bunch.

Dreamgirls.

No, that’s not what I’ve been wishing for under the Christmas tree.

It is what you get when you see the lovingly odd “Mary Wilson Holiday Spectacular Featuring Special Guests the Four Tops” that opened Monday and runs through Jan. 5 [[dark Dec. 25 and Jan. 1) at the Harris Theater on the north edge of Millennium Park.

The Four Tops are celebrating their 60th anniversary in 2014, although Abdul “Duke” Fakir is the only original member still living. His 78th birthday isThursday.

Wilson’s story is a little more complicated.

In 1959 she co-founded the Detroit-based Primettes with Diana Ross, the group that became the Supremes. I saw Ross headline the Supremes’ 2000 “reunion tour” in Rosemont, the first time the Supremes had sung together since Ross left in 1970. Except Wilson and Cindy Birdsong [[who replaced the late Florence Ballard) were not part of the tour because of alleged financial disagreements with the Ross camp.

Wilson forges on and was proud to strut her stuff in this 90-minute holiday revue, where polished Vegas meets a PBS pledge special; thus the tickets start at $59.99. She covered the Supremes’ hits with a big-screen backdrop of vintage album covers and photo sessions that included Ross. Both acts were backed by a 12-piece band.

Wilson, who was proud to say she is 691/2, sang the classics “You Can’t Hurry Love” and “Stop! In the Name of Love” in a lower register than the originals. She is now suited better as a cabaret singer, evident in the ease in which she approached “Baby Love,” the sultry Bette Midler take of “Do You Wanna Dance?’’ and “I’m Changing,” which Jennifer Hudson popularized in “Dreamgirls.” Wilson was quick to point out the “Dreamgirls” story is not about the Supremes because, again, the group didn’t get royalties.

The Christmas material will remain throughout the duration of the revue’s run. The most memorable holiday number is Wilson and Fakir dueting on the Johnny Mercer-Margaret Whiting hit “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” supported by Wilson’s four background singers and the other Tops, who include Lawrence “Roquel” Payton Jr., the son of original second tenor Lawrence Payton. The Tops also chip in to sing Christmas carols during Wilson’s myriad of costume changes that would humble Elton John.

There is no intermission, and a nice segue are the Chicago choirs that perform after the Tops opening set. Walt Whitman’s Soul Children of Chicago tore the roof of the beautiful theater with a rock-jubilee take of “Joy to the World.” Other notable choirs scheduled to appear are Calvin Bridges & Friends at the 3 p.m. Dec. 28 show and Dr. Issac Whittmon & the Greater Metropolitan Church choir, which is featured on all January dates except for 3 p.m. Jan. 4. Whittmon was nominated for a 1977 Grammy for his collaboration with James Cleveland, Albertina Walker, Jessy Dixon, Shirley Caesar and others.

The opening night fans weren’t dancing in the cold streets, but they were dancing in the aisles to the Tops, who covered their ample songbook in snappy, fast-paced style. The audience knew the choreography and spins as well as the material: “Baby, I Need Your Lovin’,” the anthem “Bernadette,” “I Can’t Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)” and “Ain’t No Woman [[Like the One I’ve Got).” The Tops’ secret weapon is lead singer Harold “Spike” Deleon, whose baritone range resembles original lead singer Levi Stubbs. He also looks like a young Marvin Gaye under the spotlight in his sequined black tuxedo. The Tops roots were in jazz harmonies, and they stretched out for a scat version of “In the Still of the Night” [[think Lambert, Hendricks and Ross) and even included that holiday classic “MacArthur Park,” their 1969 Motown single about a cake [[maybe a fruitcake?) left out too long in the rain. “The Mary Wilson Holiday Spectacular” can work if you leave any holiday hipster attitudes at home.

E-mail: Dhoekstra@suntimes.com

Thanks Smark,for postin this GREAT Review,The Best

Here's a great shot from the stage :

Here is another review from Mary's Holiday Spectacular with many great pictures from the show:

http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Ente...ew_printer.php

smark21 Guest

supremester Guest
    I think I've read 5 reviews - all of them positive. The production values are way better than I expected.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think I've read 5 reviews - all of them positive. The production values are way better than I expected.
    Same here. I was expecting a stage with a Christmas tree and some Christmas lights strung around the stage and nothing else. The company backing this show is the same company behind the Human Nature Las Vegas show.

They're not playing around,this show is BIG,I'm so happy for Mary Wilson and The 4 Tops.

Interesting review in the first and second post...but why did it say that Mary Wilson and the Supremes never got paid royalties? Of course they did.

Some other minor inaccuracies also surface, such as in some song titles "I'm Changing" [[should be "I Am Changing"). But at least this writer seemed to do their homework better than some.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Interesting review in the first and second post...but why did it say that Mary Wilson and the Supremes never got paid royalties? Of course they did.

Some other minor inaccuracies also surface, such as in some song titles "I'm Changing" [[should be "I Am Changing"). But at least this writer seemed to do their homework better than some.
    Kenneth, I believe they were referring to the film "Dreamgirl". They were not compensated, but it was really not supposed to be the Supremes story, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Kenneth, I believe they were referring to the film "Dreamgirl". They were not compensated, but it was really not supposed to be the Supremes story, etc.....
    Oh, you mean it was part of the story that the group in "Dreamgirls" didn't get royalties? I see. That part of the article certainly could have been written better so that was plain Thanks for clearing it up.

I think Mary keeps referring to the fact that neither she nor any other Supreme got royalties from any Dreamgirl portrayal, despite the fact the movie used all those images related to them and despite the fact the show and play were loosely based on their story.

supremester Guest
    Regardless, it's so tacky of her to constantly talk about money in her act and in interviews. I hate it when she says "I was laughing all the way to the bank" and her "we didn't get paid" routine. I prefer to think of MY Supremes as being above such common concerns.

Maybe this is the start of something for Vegas. Supremes & Four Tops at The Venetian. Would be great for both of them.

@jobeterob and @supremester, Okay now I finally get it! Yes, I agree that's pretty tacky to keep bringing that up. I mean "Dreamgirls" was really not their story and of course none of the music was Motown songs. Of course, maybe the issue was never really resolved if there was no court challenge. I never heard of any. Lots of fictional works have been loosely based on real life persons, and some were a lot closer to the real persons than "Dreamgirls" was. Remember Valley of the Dolls? Probably the best [[I use the term loosely) example.

What was tacky in the movie was the use of all the album covers and of course, the suggestion Berry was part of some kind of Mafia, which caused the apologies to be demanded and given and Smokey to rise up. To me, if they were going to use those covers, they should have paid Motown/Universal and the Supremes. And no, there was no Court challenge that I ever heard of. Other than not paying, Dreamgirls treated Diana and the girls quite well though.

And of course, Berry would never allow the music to be used in any movie or Broadway play that he did not have control of.

I knew it, the people with NEGATIVATY couldn't wait LMAO

supremester Guest
    Now YOU'RE being negative! LOL And I didn't hear you squawking when people dissed Martha, The Composer, NMWSYA, Miss Ross or other topics. That's even more negative!
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I knew it, the people with NEGATIVATY couldn't wait LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What was tacky in the movie was the use of all the album covers and of course, the suggestion Berry was part of some kind of Mafia, which caused the apologies to be demanded and given and Smokey to rise up. To me, if they were going to use those covers, they should have paid Motown/Universal and the Supremes. And no, there was no Court challenge that I ever heard of. Other than not paying, Dreamgirls treated Diana and the girls quite well though.

And of course, Berry would never allow the music to be used in any movie or Broadway play that he did not have control of.
    What did they do with the album cover props? Make mock ups that looked just like the Supremes LPs? Like "Dreamgirls A Go Go" and stuff like that?

I saw the musical on stage but never saw the movie.

Anybody know about the word 'reconcile' in the title of the review?

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Anybody know about the word 'reconcile' in the title of the review?
    That's a good question! It's obviously a play on the line from "Hark! the Herald Angels Sing" which says "God and sinners reconcile," but the play on words is beyond me. What's "odd" about these singers, and who needed to reconcile?

I take back what I said earlier; the reviewer is dense.

Yes, Dreamgirls the movie had mock ups of Supremes album covers like Cream of the Crop and I think More Hits for two.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Another great review! Go Mary! Go Tops!

Another great review! Go Mary! Go Tops!
    GO Marv. This is a once in a lifetime event and we are real surprised you dont have plans to go.

Roberta

Photos from Mary Wilson's Holiday Spectacular!

What did they do with the album cover props? Make mock ups that looked just like the Supremes LPs? Like "Dreamgirls A Go Go" and stuff like that?

I saw the musical on stage but never saw the movie.
    Kenneth - Here ya go:

http://dratsvsdjatd.blogspot.com/200...overs.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Thanks for posting, Methuselah2.

Now that is definitely tacky. The "Sunshine" cover is hardly altered, especially of the girls' faces! And the fact that they listed most of the original song titles as on the real LPs.

I would definitely consider this was copyright infringement. Jobeterob, would you agree with me? I'm surprised Motown didn't kick up a fuss about this after all.

great photos..she looks DIVINE and seems to be having a BLAST!..God Bless Her!

From The Chicago Tribune [[December 25, 2013):

own royalty warms winter night at Harris Theater

THEATER REVIEW "The Mary Wilson Holiday Spectacular" ★★★

December 25, 2013|Chris Jones

[[Nuccio DiNuzzo, Chicago Tribune)

"Baby, It's Cold Outside," sang Duke Fakir, the sole surviving [[and still seductive) original member of The Four Tops, to Mary Wilson, an original member of The Supremes who still oozes glamour from every pore, at the Harris Theater on Monday night.

Indeed. Six degrees according to the thermometer in my car as I pulled into the concrete purgatory that is the Millennium Park garage. A frigid night fit neither for man nor beast. Talk about "Baby I Need Your Loving."

I don't know what you were doing on that bitter-cold night, but I hope it was as comfortingly toasty as the free-wheeling and deliciously disorganized holiday party inside the Harris, where you could hear the current Four Tops frontman wail his way through "MacArthur Park [[Part Two)," even though any cake left outdoors on this particular evening would have been rendered a hockey puck. But I digress. The lyrics to "MacArthur Park," always a deliciously bizarre and surreal experience, make you do that.

In essence, the producers of "The Mary Wilson Holiday Spectacular With Special Guests The Four Tops" have put together two existing touring acts: the Detroit-based The Four Tops, whose show consists of many of the legendary group's colossal hits, such as "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" and "It's the Same Old Song," and the Las Vegas-based Mary Wilson show.

Wilson works with a trio of dancers and backup singers, and she has a fascinating photographic record of her long years with the Supremes that is displayed on a giant screen — her inestimably gorgeous younger self staring down, rather hauntingly, I thought. Wilson's set features many of the Supremes' biggest hits, as you might imagine.

That is a formidable catalog of material. Frankly, I was entranced by the images on the screen, which make you wonder what was going on in these amazing young women's heads [[and lives) as they sat there in hair and makeup, again and again. The Supremes, after all, were Motown's first female group and true revolutionaries.

That's not to say the Wilson of today lacks anything as a live performer. Au contraire. She sounds great.

She changed costumes about every 30 seconds, each gown tighter and more glittery than the last. If she can cheat the process of aging, people clearly were thinking, why can't I? Yet Wilson, although clearly determined to keep up her image, has a very lovable frankness about her [["at 69-and-a-half, honey"), including a touching wish for good health and long life for her and her loyal fans.

And if ever you are going to sit in a seat and listen to someone sing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," I'd say Wilson is the one you want to hear. It was a fantastic rendition, rooted with craft and layered with the truth that it all can come to an end quite suddenly, so enjoy life now.

I wouldn't say that these two separate acts are seamlessly integrated — they each come with their own musical director and drummer, who keep switching over, awkwardly, each taking his sticks with him. It won't be hard for you to discern what is in the regular act and what stuff they'd just put together, although it hopefully will get harder as the show runs: They had the guts to be reviewed on their very first public performance.

But pairing Wilson and Fakir [[a clearly modest man who does not like to take the solo spotlight, despite his gorgeous voice, historical import and delightful personality) is certainly logical, given that if you like the music of The Four Tops, there is an excellent chance you're up for hearing some hits by The Supremes.

Moreover, The Four Tops and The Supremes recorded together in the early 1970s. And these two greats are both charmers, although in very different ways.

Aside from a Four Tops "Silent Night" that went awry, none of the structural awkwardness of this new show bothered me a jot. Nor, it seemed, did it worry those around me, for whom this was the best kind of way to kiss the work year goodbye.

I had a good laugh when a chaotic finale riff on "Dancing in the Streets" threatened to go on so long that I thought Wilson was going to kick the loving-every-second choir off stage [[she didn't, although she did assist with their bows).

There was something human and funny and, well, it was warmer inside, and there we all were with the living legends, still working, still hearing a symphony, refusing to hurry love, declaring their ain't no women like the one they got, and leaving that crazy cake out in the rain, oh no.

What else could you want for Christmas week? "Joy to the World," they sang.

cjones5@tribune.com

Twitter @ChrisJonesTrib

theaterchat.chicago

-tribune.com

When: Through Jan. 5

Where: Harris Theatre

for Music and Dance,

205 E. Randolph St.

Running time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Tickets: $59.99-$119.99 at 312-334-7777 or ticketmaster.com

smark21 Guest
    That's a good question! It's obviously a play on the line from "Hark! the Herald Angels Sing" which says "God and sinners reconcile," but the play on words is beyond me. What's "odd" about these singers, and who needed to reconcile?

I take back what I said earlier; the reviewer is dense.
    Kenneth, I think you may be the dense one. Odd is referring to the staging and production of the show [[in the critics' opinion) not that it's odd that singers were supposedly reconciling in the show.

smark21 Guest
    Thanks for posting, Methuselah2.

Now that is definitely tacky. The "Sunshine" cover is hardly altered, especially of the girls' faces! And the fact that they listed most of the original song titles as on the real LPs.

I would definitely consider this was copyright infringement. Jobeterob, would you agree with me? I'm surprised Motown didn't kick up a fuss about this after all.
    I' m sure a major film production like Dreamgirls had plenty of good lawyers on call...either the album designs have fallen into the public domain and so they used them as a wink and nudge to die hard Supremes fans who would see the movie, or if Motown/Universal held copyright on the album covers, the production company made a deal and paid Motown/Universal for permission to use them.

BTW, Touch was another album cover used in Dreamgirls and in a montage segment there's a shot of Deena Jones and the Dreams performing on a set reminiscent that DRATS used when performing Love Child the first time on Ed Sullivan.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I' m sure a major film production like Dreamgirls had plenty of good lawyers on call...either the album designs have fallen into the public domain and so they used them as a wink and nudge to die hard Supremes fans who would see the movie, or if Motown/Universal held copyright on the album covers, the production company made a deal and paid Motown/Universal for permission to use them.

BTW, Touch was another album cover used in Dreamgirls and in a montage segment there's a shot of Deena Jones and the Dreams performing on a set reminiscent that DRATS used when performing Love Child the first time on Ed Sullivan.
    There was never any comment from anyone about any permission being granted or payment being made. But perhaps Universal got a couple thousand dollars for the use of the covers and they own them. Those covers are not in the public domain. And Kenneth is right; they clearly appropriated an image belonging to Universal.

Kenneth, I think you may be the dense one. Odd is referring to the staging and production of the show [[in the critics' opinion) not that it's odd that singers were supposedly reconciling in the show.
    I see the one reference to "lovingly odd" but I don't see how it ties in to the headline blurb, and I think your comment is unnecessarily rude.

Another great shot from dress rehearsals:

Half price saets for New Years Eve so tell you friends and family that seeing Mary and Duke is a great date night to end 2013. Pass on the information and give these legends a full house. Copy and paste this links to send to your family and friends. https://www.goldstar.com/events/chic...-the-four-tops

Original Supreme Mary Wilson & The Four Tops in Night of Motown Legends

Harris Theater for Music and Dance in Millennium Park [[205 E. Randolph Dr. Chicago, IL 60601)

Full Price
    $69.99 - $89.99

Our Price
    $35.00 - $45.00*

One of the major voices in the biggest girl group of all-time, original Supreme Mary Wilson returns to the stage to take you down memory lane as she sings some of her group's biggest hits, along with special guests The Four Tops. Wilson will perform stirring renditions of Supremes classics like "Stop! In the Name of Love," "Baby Love" and "Come See About Me," while The Four Tops will use their butter-smooth harmonies on hits like "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch" and "I'll Be There." And, these Motown legends will come together to perform holiday favorites to cap off a great evening of music and memories.

We saw the show last night and it was spectacular. We went for the 2-for-99 special but paid an extra 10.00 each to move up to the 7th row. Then we moved up to 4th row after it started. Our friends won tickets on the radio so there were 8 of us drinking and celebrating the season. Mary wore a lot of different, new gowns and looked great. There were dancers, extra backup singers, a choir, the 4 tops, various stage settings and groupings of performers. Both Mary & Duke were in great voice and the Top's lead is excellent. I think there were some changes to the show as it seemed if people were late getting in position and there was some confusion at times. The highlight was Baby its cold outside. Mary's natural flair for comedy mixed with Dukes flirtations and occasionally cracked them both up along with the audience. We had been partying and were asked not to stand during Marys songs but everyone danced to Reach Out, I'll Be There. MAry forgot the words to most of The Supremes songs but the show was very casual and no one minded if they noticed. We had drinks with Mary loves her hotel room but complained that they waited too long to advertise. She said she had the day off tomorrow but really there was a show scheduled. It's a tacky show in some ways but we had fun.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 12-30-2013 at 06:03 AM.

It sounds like you had a good time TheMotownManiac,wish i could have been there lol

Mary is very funny on stage. I saw her once at an outdoor venue in the Woodland Hills area of Los Angeles, and they were having trouble with the lights as it was getting dark. She said, "I'm not sure what we'll do if the lights don't start working. I guess we'll have to smile a lot!"

Her personality and humor really comes through the footlights, as they say.

I wouldnt be surprised if this show or some variation ended up in Vegas. Ive never seen Mary forget lyrics. Wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if this show or some variation ended up in Vegas. Ive never seen Mary forget lyrics. Wonder why.
    Same here. Mary usually nails the lyrics on Supremes songs and others she has in her set list. Sometimes you can see the strong focus she puts on delivering the song's lyrics and in the original arrangements. It would be great if they could bring it to New York and Detroit next season before settling in Las Vegas. Mary always puts on excellent concerts.

I'v been think the same thing,about bring the show to Vegas,it seems like the right place for this show,now i'd go to Vegas to see Mary Wilson and The 4 Tops Show.

I wonder now if considered putting "Stoned Love" in this show. It would be perfect for the theme.

Mary is very funny on stage. I saw her once at an outdoor venue in the Woodland Hills area of Los Angeles, and they were having trouble with the lights as it was getting dark. She said, "I'm not sure what we'll do if the lights don't start working. I guess we'll have to smile a lot!"

Her personality and humor really comes through the footlights, as they say.
    I attended the concert as well. I met Scherrie Payne that night. She was nice enough to pose with me for a picture. That was a great show that night, Mary was on point with every single song imo.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I attended the concert as well. I met Scherrie Payne that night. She was nice enough to pose with me for a picture. That was a great show that night, Mary was on point with every single song imo.
    Wow, did you really? How lucky were you to meet Scherrie? I'm jealous!

smark21 Guest
    Well if the show makes money in its Chicago run, perhaps it will go to Vegas, sans holiday theme. How is the show doing? Going by MotownManiac's report, it seems Mary may not be totally happy with turnout as she thinks the producers should have started advertising earlier.

Well if the show makes money in its Chicago run, perhaps it will go to Vegas, sans holiday theme. How is the show doing? Going by MotownManiac's report, it seems Mary may not be totally happy with turnout as she thinks the producers should have started advertising earlier.
    Reports of moving up to the 7th row don't sound promising

I wonder now if considered putting "Stoned Love" in this show. It would be perfect for the theme.
    Hey Marv how u been? I wish she would do Nathan Jones more, the last time I saw her sing it was a real treat. She mimicked the background perfectly. I bel there is a version on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv how u been? I wish she would do Nathan Jones more, the last time I saw her sing it was a real treat. She mimicked the background perfectly. I bel there is a version on YouTube.
    I'm good Detmotownguy, thanks! How are you and Happy New Year. Nathan Jones would also be a good addition as would "Floy Joy".

I don't know how much it cost to put this show together, so it's profitability is not something I can comment on. I know some things. They knew they had a good show. The pre-sale sold enough for 2 dates and the added shows were dropped. Later, four more were dropped. The addition of choirs had little effect on sales. It is presumed that the choirs had other performances that family and friends attended instead. Very few tickets were sold at the intended prices. Over 1000 tickets were distributed to movers and shakers in Chicago for opening night to generate word of mouth. Despite much press, all positive reviews and "a very successful performance", there was no blip in sales. Our tickets were about 60% off and our friends were free. The 172.00 ticket is now full price at 99.00 on Ticketmaster, and can be purchased 2 for 1, 3 for 1, or 4 for 3 depending on the deal. Group discounts are offered to churches, retirement homes and other organizations for fund raisers. Free parking has been added to some deals. Packages with dinner & parking are offered as well. This all seems like they'll take whatever monies they can get.
    Mary said they waited too long to promote it and people had already made their holiday plans. If you know Mary, you know how her lips purse when she's not amused, and she was not amused. I'm 118 miles south of Chicago and we knew about this months ago. There was a lot of press on it since Octiober. I asked if it was a union house [[in order to gauge expenses) and she replied, "I don't think they know what they are." She also mentioned "it's costing them more than it's costing me." It was clear this is a sore subject and I didn't pursue it further.
    The two back levels are closed and of the remaining main floor there were at least 200, maybe 300 people. You could sit where you wanted except the first 2 rows.

They may have scaled down the production, but this show that we saw is a $15-$45 dollar show. It looks better in pictures and clips than it plays out. There is disorganization, silly dialog, a very stagey feeling to the different sets. Mary was not in top form but she sounded good and for the most part seemed to be having a good time. She has a natural comic flair. The chemistry between her and Duke is undeniable. The audience enjoyed the show, but really only a few spots went over big: The Tops hits set and Baby Its Cold Outside. I think Mary should have presented The Supremes songs as a trio instead of Mary Wilson as a solo act. Not everyone appreciates her voice or delivery of these classic songs. A Supremes presentation might have helped.
    This is all I have to say on the subject. There were six of us and we all enjoyed the show but it is not good enough to go to Vegas. Had we paid full price, we would not have had a good time. Mary & Duke are working together in new clothes and that is a positive experience for them both. For that reason alone, I consider it a success.