[REMOVE ADS]

Darlene Love at BB KIng's 1/4/2014 - amazing

Much has been written about Darlene's life and of course we have the recent 20 Feet from stardom. I had only seen her sing a few songs on tv until this past Saturday night when I saw her show. One of the greatest perfomers Ive ever seen live. Incredible band. She is now 72 and looked stunning. She sang XMAS songs and her hits and some others. Her voice is as good if not better than in the past. [[Ive read she goes for long periods without talking or singing). She sang a gospel song Marvelous with her backup singers[[including former Harlette Ula Hedwig who has been with Darlene for 30 years-"my rock" she said) standing side by side next to her. Her voice radiates joy and she bacame tearful during the song and God's goodness to her. Audience standing yelling and singing, dancing and clapping when she closed the show with Christmas Baby...She said shes back in the studio with Steve Van Zant, and a record is coming. Awesome night.[[Had a long talk with her husband ALton who is so humble and sincere and Darlene's grandaughter who used to dance in her show. Darlene announced Lala Brooks in audience but she she wasnt here though she had hoped to make it. Martha Reeves at BBKings 1/.24 and Lala at Cutting Room in Feb.)

Thanks, luke!

That's wonderful to here, so happpy for her, simply one of the best eva!!!

Thanks, luke.

S.S.

Thanks, Luke. The greats always stand the test of time. She'll be in good hands with Stevie Van Zandt. He LOVES the music from the B&B/early rock and roll era.

~~Mary~~

Darlene's got such a marvelous soul. Her book is a great, and funny, read. I remember when I saw "Hairspray" on Broadway back in 2007. I don't remember many specifics from that night except when Darlene, as Motormouth Maybelle, blew the roof off the place with "I Know Where I've Been." I've never been so moved by a performance, and it was clear the audience was, too, as she got a standing ovation afterwards. A true legend.

Bettye LaVette at the Highline NY Jan 12. Stanley Clark, too.