[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: RIP Phil Everly

RIP Phil Everly

Another one of our music legends has died at the age of 74, amazing talent, and even more amazing career.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2pOdS76Yb

Damn! RIP one of the most talented people on the planet.

2014 is off to a very sad start for music lovers. First, Jay Traynor and now Phil Everly.

My condolences to his family and friends. A harmony great who influenced so many artists. Thank you for the music.

Rest In Peace...

~~Mary~~

Sad news and yes indeed, thank you for your music, Phil.

We had all The Everly Brothers records in the 1950's in my older sister's 45 collection.

May Phil rest in peace.

S.S.

R I P Phil

SDF had a thread a while ago on the first record we bought.

The third record I bought was

"Til I Kissed You" by the Everly Brothers in 1959

edafan

From the AP

NASHVILLE, Tenn. [[AP) — The infighting and hard feelings between the Everly Brothers were well-known, but surviving brother Don felt he had a special moment with his brother Phil before Phil's passing Friday — even if the two weren't together at the time.

"I was listening to one of my favorite songs that Phil wrote and had an extreme emotional moment just before I got the news of his passing," Don Everly wrote in a statement to The Associated Press on Saturday morning. "I took that as a special spiritual message from Phil saying goodbye. Our love was and will always be deeper than any earthly differences we might have had."

Phil Everly died Friday in California from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He was 74.

The Everly Brothers were arguably the most influential vocal duo in music history. They brought their love of country music to rock 'n' roll in the 1950s and 1960s, transforming the pop charts of the day and inspiring legions of young proto rockers like the Beatles, Bob Dylan and the Byrds who would go on to change popular culture.

Songs like "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up Little Susie" remain a shared memory for generations of listeners who were hooked by their deceptively simple harmonies that hid greater meaning in songs that were dark and new compared with the pop music of the day.

The two broke up amid quarrelling in 1973 after 16 years of hits, then reunited in 1983, "sealing it with a hug," Phil Everly said.

There was a heavy outpouring on social media following Phil Everly's death, proving The Everly Brothers remain relevant a half-century after their first hits.

Don Everly said he didn't expect to see the day his brother would pass.

"I loved my brother very much," the 76-year-old wrote. "I always thought I'd be the one to go first. ... The world might be mourning an Everly Brother, but I'm mourning my brother Phil Everly."

———
    Last edited by edafan; 01-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Remember???

Here is another great memory. The Everly Brothers in Detroit onstage with the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Mary Wilson, etc,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Another one of our music legends has died at the age of 74, amazing talent, and even more amazing career.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2pOdS76Yb

Very sad indeed but Phil is now with his maker in the Heavenly mansion. A real talent who will be missed on earth. Those darned cigarettes are such a curse.

Thank you for the wonderful music Mr Everly.

Roberta

Name:  levi and evs.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  48.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is another great memory. The Everly Brothers in Detroit onstage with the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Mary Wilson, etc,etc.
    great pic

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 01-05-2014 at 07:01 PM.

saw the Everly Bros live the first time as a 15 yr old at a theater in Atlantic city,NJ.Also on the show was Jackie Wilson,Paul anka,Royal Teens, George Hamilton IV,Monotones,and headlining Sam Cooke.I'm sure I'm forgetting 3 or 4 other acts.It was a monster show,but I could only stay for one matinee performance as my parents allowed me to take the bus the 30 miles to AC but I had to be home before dark.

Here they are with Jackie Wilson and Clyde McPhatter: