[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marvelettes "Purple Gowns" photo on Ebay.

Just come across Marvelettes photo on an Ebay Auction, fab colour photograph in purple gowns, l must be going mad as out of the 4 members, l can only easily recognise Wanda, can someone please confirm who the other 3 are!!!!!!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    link please.

Sorry my computer knowledge is a little limited, if you go to Ebay and just type in Marvelettes Photo in the search box and you will easily find it.

That's Wanda...but those other girls...I don't know them.

Yes that's the one!
    Thanx Calvin!
    Calvin

Wow, that's a real curiosity. From Wanda's wig/hair style, it looks to be from the "Sophisticated Soul" time frame, 1968 or thereabouts. But what's also strange is the Marvelettes hadn't had four members since '65, wasn't it?

Okay, one of the SDF Motown History Detectives will have to figure this one out. Anxious to hear who those other girls are, and why they're all dressed alike! Perhaps it was a Marvelettes concert where Wanda had to sing with some other girls, due to illness or absences of Gladys and Katherine?

It's not the Marvelettes. It is probably a social function for some sort of women's group. The woman next to Wanda is Claudette Robinson. I'm not sure who the other women are. Maybe they are the wives of some Motown guys.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It's not the Marvelettes. It is probably a social function for some sort of women's group. The woman next to Wanda is Claudette Robinson. I'm not sure who the other women are. Maybe they are the wives of some Motown guys.
    Just when you think you've seen it all.....wow!

To me, that doesn't look like Claudette Robinson, but what do I know. Is it possible that that isn't Wanda either? While the wig does look similar to the "Sophsticated Soul" era, I've never seen another picture with the "bun" on top. Perhaps this was a tribute group and her wig was made to loook like Wanda's?

And no offense to reese, I can't imagine any social gathering where four women would wear the same dress, LOL.

And truthfully, for how candid Kat Anderson is, there's never been any mention, including in the Marvelettes book, about any gig where Wanda went out without Gladys and Kat. Even if that were the case, wouldn't there only be three matching dresses that two others squeezed into? I can't imagine Motown buying them new gowns for a one-time performance.

P.S. I bet Stephen Woods is pi$$ing himself right now, LOL. I suppose he'll name these the "Lavender Orchids".

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The woman on the far right looks very much like Miss Clineice [[Levi Stubbs' wife).

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Just when you think you've seen it all.....wow!

To me, that doesn't look like Claudette Robinson, but what do I know. Is it possible that that isn't Wanda either? While the wig does look similar to the "Sophsticated Soul" era, I've never seen another picture with the "bun" on top. Perhaps this was a tribute group and her wig was made to loook like Wanda's?

And no offense to reese, I can't imagine any social gathering where four women would wear the same dress, LOL.

And truthfully, for how candid Kat Anderson is, there's never been any mention, including in the Marvelettes book, about any gig where Wanda went out without Gladys and Kat. Even if that were the case, wouldn't there only be three matching dresses that two others squeezed into? I can't imagine Motown buying them new gowns for a one-time performance.
    That is Wanda Rogers in the picture. There are/were many sorority, social type groups in Detroit that would have had it's members dress a specific way for events.

The woman sitting next to Wanda has a run in her stocking.

It looks like a social function. The one next to Wanda looks like Claudette to me also; and is the one at the end Raymona Singleton-Gordy?

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    It looks like a social function. The one next to Wanda looks like Claudette to me also; and is the one at the end Raymona Singleton-Gordy?
    The lady at the end is Cliniece Stubbs.

Could it merely be that 4 Motown wives attended the same Motown sponsored event and someone asked them to don the same dress for a once-in-a-lifetime photoshoot- and they good-naturedly agreed. Notice that each woman is wearing a unique pair of earrings, and that the second dress [[Claudette's) is missing some of the jewels around the neck - as if, they've come off from travel and/or storage.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 01-03-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The lady at the end is Cliniece Stubbs.
    Well done marv2. you certainly know more about Motown ladies and they gowns than anyone else on this here forum. Have you consider writing a book about the Motown ladies and the gowns they wore?

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Well done marv2. you certainly know more about Motown ladies and they gowns than anyone else on this here forum. Have you consider writing a book about the Motown ladies and the gowns they wore?

Fondly,

Roberta
    No idiot. I just sent the pic to my friend Levi Jr and confirmed that it is his mom.

As the 2 women on the left were married to members of the Miracles [[Bobby & Smokey), might the third woman be the wife of one of the other Tops as the 4th is Cliniece Stubbs?
    And who is the gentleman in the middle?

Isnt it interesting how some religious people just try to go after others? Thanks for pic info Marv. I guess some people just get jeaous too.
    Last edited by luke; 01-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Perhaps it's a Motown husband? Brenda Holloway's?

http://faac.us/adf/messages/28522/18...tml?1227304463

There are photos's here taken by Juice of Lawrence and Duke's wive at Levi's funeral

No idiot. I just sent the pic to my friend Levi Jr and confirmed that it is his mom.
    Im sorry I just assume you knew.

Peace.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Isnt it interesting how some religious people just try to go after others? Thanks for pic info Marv. I guess some people just get jeaous too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2KP9fYZUWA

Could the third mystery woman be Valaida Benson, Obie's ex-wife?

https://www.facebook.com/valaida.benson.7

Worked at Motown records; friends include descendants of Levi Stubbs & Lawrence Payton

Could the gentleman be Thearon Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I don't know what Roberta's problem is, but it gets ridiculous here sometimes. Oh you are welcome.

I don't know what Roberta's problem is, but it gets ridiculous here sometimes. Oh you are welcome.
    Oh but Ive never called you an idiot marv2 now that was unkind and would lead many people to believe that its you the one with the problem my dear.

Anyway as I said in my earlier post. Peace to you.

Roberta

Could it be a wedding or something where a group of attendants needed to dress alike?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Could it be a wedding or something where a group of attendants needed to dress alike?
    You are thinking along the same lines as me. It could have been a wedding and they could have been the bridesmaids or something like that.

It seems odd that Claudette would have been given a gown which is missing several of the jewels on the upper front of the dress. For formal weddings, most brides are usually very fussy about what their [[and the groom's) attendants are wearing.
    Also, her gown doesn't seem to fit as well as Wanda's judging from the overhang behind the right arm.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Could the gentleman be Thearon Hill?

I'll bet it is :
    In 1959, Thearon joined Detroit's 4 Tops, to replace army-bound Renaldo "Obie" Benson. He was on the 4 Tops' Columbia sides in 1960: "Ain't That Love"/"Lonely Summer". When Obie returned in 1962, Thearon spent a couple of years as the house singer at the Twenty Grand Club and then, in 1964, he re-joined the 4 Tops, as their road manager, a position he held until 1980. [[In 1976, he, the 4 Tops, and Marv Johnson were pallbearers at Supreme Florence Ballard's funeral.)

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'll bet it is :
    In 1959, Thearon joined Detroit's 4 Tops, to replace army-bound Renaldo "Obie" Benson. He was on the 4 Tops' Columbia sides in 1960: "Ain't That Love"/"Lonely Summer". When Obie returned in 1962, Thearon spent a couple of years as the house singer at the Twenty Grand Club and then, in 1964, he re-joined the 4 Tops, as their road manager, a position he held until 1980. [[In 1976, he, the 4 Tops, and Marv Johnson were pallbearers at Supreme Florence Ballard's funeral.)
    I know who Thearon is, met him years ago in Detroit. Sadly, he passed away back '09.

The woman next to Mrs. Stubbs sort of resembles the wife of Pete Moore.

Okay, guys, I think we are getting warmer! As to the idea of a wedding party, I just saw the movie "27 Dresses" [[hilarious by the way) and that didn't even occur to me!

The gentleman certainly does look like it could be Thearon...the two photos are very much alike.

No way would I have thought that was Claudette, but her looks change a lot from photo to photo, kind of like Mary Wilson in a way. Sometimes in vintage photos she can look like a teenager and in others from the same era she can look much more mature, based on her hair and makeup.

You guys are good...really!

This does look like a wedding party to me. Maybe Claudette was a Matron of Honor, and this would explain her dress being slightly different? I know from a floral standpoint, I always do the Matron of honor's bouquet [[If they have one) a little different than the bridesmaids bouquets. Great Mystery!

No Way that is Claudette!

On second look...and looking at the right lady...I'm not so sure. I just sent a message to a Claudette Robinson expert to verify.
    Last edited by midnight johnny; 01-04-2014 at 09:38 AM.

This is one of the best threads I have ever seen on this board and good work Marv. Thanks for starting this Calv!!! I feel like you all are playing CLUE. Wanda Rogers got the dress and told Claudette and Thearon started the party......LOL

From Marie Leighton...
    Ladies left to right - Wanda Rogers, Claudette Robinson, Tina Moore [[Pete's wife) I can't see the 4th woman but Dan looked at the string on Soulful D and it's apparently Cliniece Stubbs.

Thanks Marie and Dan!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    From Marie Leighton...
    Ladies left to right - Wanda Rogers, Claudette Robinson, Tina Moore [[Pete's wife) I can't see the 4th woman but Dan looked at the string on Soulful D and it's apparently Cliniece Stubbs.

Thanks Marie and Dan!!
    So did Marie and Dan tell you the occasion? Was I close when I suggested a possible "wedding" [[above)? :-)

Wow, between Johnny, Marv, Carole and others...great detective work. A really interesting find.

Wanda had to be the most gorgeous lady at Motown. Also my favorite singer, so maybe I'm prejudiced.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    So did Marie and Dan tell you the occasion? Was I close when I suggested a possible "wedding" [[above)? :-)
    Haaaaaa.....no...that would have been too smart of me! I've got that question out to her now! Thanks!!

Here's Marie's answer about the affair......" John. Looks to me like a LINKS affair, mostly thinking that because they were dressed alike. They are longtime members. LINKS is a charity ladies club nationwide. "...women who are committed to enriching, sustaining and ensuring the culture and economic survival of African Americans and other persons of African ancestry."

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Here's Marie's answer about the affair......" John. Looks to me like a LINKS affair, mostly thinking that because they were dressed alike. They are longtime members. LINKS is a charity ladies club nationwide. "...women who are committed to enriching, sustaining and ensuring the culture and economic survival of African Americans and other persons of African ancestry."
    Now that makes sense. My mom was a member of LINKS.

Actually, Marie gave me an updated thought.....
    ..."A wedding - bridesmaids in miniskirts! - is certainly a possibility as well. These women are all very close friends. Dresses look like velvet - wish I had one of them, I love vintage."

According to Janie Bradford the man is Congressman John Conyers.

Thanks to all for helped to put the pieces together.

There is a photo of the congressman here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Conyers