[REMOVE ADS]

Who sold he most records for Motown ?

Was it Stevie Wonder ?

Has to be The Supremes. They outsold everyone except the Beatles in the 60s and no 70s group/artist came close.

I'm thinking Lionel Richie?

The Temptations

Diana Ross

Pat Boone

Surprisingly, according to Wikipedia-- Boys II Men's 1994 Motown album "II" sold 12 million copies in the US alone! I don't think any of the "classic" groups came close to those numbers.

Cumulatively, Stevie Wonder's albums sold 100+ million, likely making him the top money maker for the company. It would be interesting to see a list of top-selling MT artists by albums vs singles.
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 12-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.

This is an interesting question as recently I bought the "Complete Number 1's" [[packaged in the cute little Hitsville, U.S.A box) and frankly was shocked to find only the first 2 of 10 discs are from the "classic" 60s period. I guess I never really thought about "best sellers" at Motown. All of my personal Motown collection is roughly pre 1975.

Actually forgive me but the title should have Read "Who Sold The Most records at Motown" not "He"

Now so far everything I have read leads back to Stevie Wonder being the Top Seller or Most Records sold however who was keeping score since those sells in the 60's never really got accounted for or so we have been lead to believe.

Interesting question. Also, how about Motown vs Tamla vs Gordy, Soul, VIP etc during the days of different labels?

i think if you look purely at total records sold it would be Stevie. of course keep in mind that there were less record buyers in the 60s than 90s. that's why groups like TLC try to say they're the most successful girl group of all time when they sold XX millions. yet only had 3 or 4 #1s.

Stevie is certainly the longest running and successful recording artist at motown. smokey might be longer but i'd guess that stevie had more higher charting and selling 45s and lps.

B2M certainly sold a TON in the 90s.

might be a worthwhile exercise to break into eras. perhaps:

Early 60s [[1959 - Aug 64)
    the Golden Era [[Aug 64 - 12/31/69)
    Early 70s - [[70 - 72)
    70s post LA move - 73 - 79
    Eighties
    90s
    2000's

those are just my quick cuts. i'd guess the following:
    Miracles or Mary Wells
    Supremes
    J5
    Marvin or Stevie
    Stevie or Lionel
    B2M
    no idea lol

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    This is an interesting question as recently I bought the "Complete Number 1's" [[packaged in the cute little Hitsville, U.S.A box) and frankly was shocked to find only the first 2 of 10 discs are from the "classic" 60s period. I guess I never really thought about "best sellers" at Motown. All of my personal Motown collection is roughly pre 1975.
    Yes, there was life at Motown after 1975. Switch, Rick James, Stevie Wonder, Boys II Men, DeBarge, Diana Ross, Commodores, Smokey Robinson, Teena Marie, Dazz Band, The Temptations, Bruce Willis, of all people...
    Last edited by soulster; 12-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Of course Stevie.

I would not pick Stevie.

Before Stevie I might choose Lionel or the Temptations or the Supremes, unless you are not including singles. The Supremes especially if you include Diana in all of that.

I've actually never heard Stevie chosen before ~ but I notice many of you are.

I just happen to be looking at my albums and single releases form Motown Artists and did not realize I had bought as many of Stevie LP's as my all time favorites. I came across Talking Book, Music Of My Mind, Inner visions, Songs in The Key Of Life, Where I am Coming From and the Hotter than July album. Not to mention his earlier or songs that came later. Stevie was always pulling more than just one single off an album.
    Last edited by captainjames; 12-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Boyz II Men.

thomas96 Guest
    I wouldn't really count Boyz II Men....

Of the "classic" period, it's gotta be either the Supremes, Temptations, or Stevie Wonder. Probably Stevie since he released the most singles and albums of them.

Diana certainly sold more internationally than the others, with and especially without the Supremes.

The problem with this question is that:

*It does not distinguish between singles and albums.

*Some people will nor recognize anything past 1971, or so.

*It does not distinguish domestic sales from international sales.

*Motown was not a member of the RIAA during the 60s.

So, with that, you will have opinions all over the place.
    Last edited by soulster; 12-23-2013 at 09:14 PM.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The problem with this question is that:

*It does not distinguish between singles and albums.

*Some people will nor recognize anything past 1971, or so.

*It does not distinguish domestic sales from international sales.

*Motown was not a member of the RIAA during the 60s.

So, with that, you will have opinions all over the place.
    Right on man.

smark21 Guest
    HMV? Tower? Virgin Megastore? Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I wouldn't really count Boyz II Men....

Of the "classic" period, it's gotta be either the Supremes, Temptations, or Stevie Wonder. Probably Stevie since he released the most singles and albums of them.
    Oh. I see... yeah Stevie maybe.

The Wikipedia entry for best selling artists is pretty extensive now.

It says that artists like Diana Ross are excluded because to appear on the list, you must have at least 20% of your purported sales certified ~ and of course, Motown didn't do such things. Her purported sales are over 100 Million.

The only Motown connected people on the list are:

Michael Jackson who is #3 behind the Beatles and Elvis. His certified sales are 169.7 million and purported sales are 300 to 400 Million.

Lionel Richie appears next near the end of the list with certified sales of 37.4 million and purported sales of 100 Million.

Stevie Wonder appears shortly thereafter with certified sales of 33.5 million and purported sales of 100 Million.

Near the end of the list appears Aretha Franklin with certified sales of 24.5 Million and purported sales of 75 Million.

Thank Rob
    Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking I forgot about Michael Jackson.

while i agree this is all speculation, it's entertaining speculation and it's part of the reason we're all here on this board. and there are quite a few people who do have significant insight into the history. so i'm frankly not too concerned of arriving at the "gospel truth." i enjoy the sharing of thoughts and backgrounds when it comes to Motown and especially the Sups

It is Stevie Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    while i agree this is all speculation, it's entertaining speculation and it's part of the reason we're all here on this board. and there are quite a few people who do have significant insight into the history. so i'm frankly not too concerned of arriving at the "gospel truth." i enjoy the sharing of thoughts and backgrounds when it comes to Motown and especially the Sups
    I Second That Emotion!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thank Rob
    Nahh, while I'm sure "Diana Ross Presents", "ABC", and "Third Album" were just as high-charting selling albums as the number ones they spawned, the thread title's "for Motown", which I would say "Got To Be There" to "Forever Michael" added with "One Day In Your Life", "Farewell My Summer Love", and the Jackson Five albums. So a fraction of that 300 to 400 million sales, probably three-fourths of that is EPIC's.

After a little research my guess its Ross, Smokey, Stevie or Gaye.

After a little research my guess its Ross, Smokey, Stevie or Gaye.
    Can't be Smokey can it?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Can't be Smokey can it?
    Of the four, Smokey sold the least bit of albums. I don't even think one album Smokey released ever went platinum and only one was certified gold. Judging from the positions of most of his albums, none of it really made bank. And his solo singles discography showed he only had mild success [[four top ten hits and one gold album). So he doesn't really qualify.

Only ones of the "classic era" who really sold well were Diana, Marvin and Stevie.

Judging from total sales figures and certifications by the RIAA, the tally could be something like:

1.) Stevie [[7 top ten albums, one certified diamond, 3 certified platinum, one 2x platinum, 3 gold)
    2.) Marvin [[5 top ten albums, one certified gold, 2 platinum; two albums sold over two million units, one over three million, three over a million, one sold half a million)
    3.) Diana [[4 top ten albums, one number one album, one certified gold, 1 platinum; one album selling over two million copies - a double album I believe; one sold half a million)

----
    Stevie has MG & DR beat because of Songs in the Key of Life selling 5 million-plus for two albums [[10x platinum or Diamond) but only because it was a double album. Lady Sings the Blues sold over a million copies but would've been certified 2x platinum. Marvin's "What's Going On" was his first million-selling album but had to wait until the CD generation to be certified gold for half a million shipments and has probably met the requirements for a platinum certification [[same can be said of "Let's Get It On", which sold about 3 million units in the vinyl era but sold over a million in the CD/Soundscan era). Marvin also has a few hits compilations that meet gold and platinum certifications. In contrast to Stevie and Diana, Marvin might be the most consistent in sales numbers with albums right now. I don't see a big sales push concerning Stevie and Diana's albums right now and Marvin still has albums charting on Billboard.

Plus in the '60s, Marvin was the label's most consistent solo artist with Stevie trailing a distant second. They were easily matched in the '70s with Stevie obviously ahead in the '80s.

Thank Rob
    No. You didn't forget him. He wasn't a consistent seller during the Motown years. "Got to Be There" sold 300,000+ units, "Ben" around 250,000+ units. "Music & Me" and "Forever, Michael" obviously sold less than that.

Same can be said about the Jackson 5. Despite their claim of 100 million records sold worldwide, they weren't even close and doubt they would've reached even 25 million in the U.S. DRPTJ5, ABC and TTA were their biggest sellers at 1, 1.5 and 0.5 million sold respectively. And I think a hits compilation sold over a million. But that was it as far as J5 album sales went. Afterwards their follow-up albums didn't really do so hot. The chunk of the Jacksons/MJ sales figures that you read about come from Epic recordings only.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Diana certainly sold more internationally than the others, with and especially without the Supremes.
    I don't think that's actually accurate though. Diana, if she sold records anywhere outside the U.S., from where I'm seeing, she sold a lot of albums in the UK only. The chart placements of Diana's albums [[and most of her singles) don't indicate she sold a lot but that she charted a lot. Same can be said about the Supremes. Lots of chart placements but not much action on the charts. What Motown knows they're keeping to themselves. I think Stevie has more sales figures than Diana. He has albums certified in Canada whereas I've yet to see anything Canada certified of the other "classic" Motown acts yet.

I'd say Lionel Richie...counting his "Can't Slow Down" days WITH Commodores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I'd say Lionel Richie...counting his "Can't Slow Down" days WITH Commodores.
    Even though Lionel wouldn't be what you call a "classic era" Motowner, I think you're on the money. Stevie Wonder sold only half of what Lionel sold [[with and without the Commodores and definitely without). He was the '80s almost but he was behind Prince, MJ, Springsteen and Phil Collins as far as top male artists of the '80s goes. So Lionel is a great guess.

Esther Gordy [[RIP) was vocal about who it was, I wonder if Berry Gordy will actually tell it now.

Esther Gordy [[RIP) was vocal about who it was, I wonder if Berry Gordy will actually tell it now.
    Who did she say was the best-selling act in Motown?

Of course to be truly effective, you'd have to divide by GDP or by total US record sales or something to account for the fact that by the 1990s the total record market was exponentially larger than that in the 60s. Thus, I still stand by my original guess that held constant, the Supremes sold the most records for Motown.

I would say Ross/Supremes, then Temptations, then Jackson 5, then Ross, then Wonder, then Lionel, then Boyz........chronologically through time.