[REMOVE ADS]

Britney Spears open in Las Vegas but Billboard says the show was lipped.

Billboards says the vast majority of the show was lipped.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...s-in-las-vegas

Nothing shocking here. So many pop stars lip their shows all the time. Remember the Ashlee Simpson fiasco on SNL a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Nothing shocking here. So many pop stars lip their shows all the time. Remember the Ashlee Simpson fiasco on SNL a few years back?
    It saddens me cause theres nothing like real live vocals. Oh well................Im sure she will pack em in but its real sad that a fine singer like Mary Wilson wants a permanant Vegas show and cant get one but this girl lipps a show and gets a two year multi million dollars contract.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    It saddens me cause theres nothing like real live vocals. Oh well................Im sure she will pack em in but its real sad that a fine singer like Mary Wilson wants a permanant Vegas show and cant get one but this girl lipps a show and gets a two year multi million dollars contract.

Roberta
    I agree, it is sad. It's so much more about appearance now as opposed to the vocals in a lot of cases. The visuals - lighting, staging, special effects, costumes - and choreography often take precedent over what comes out of their mouths. With all of the choreography and flying around on harnesses and what not, quality singing is next to impossible [[not like some of these artists had much vocal skill to begin with! hehe)!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Billboards says the vast majority of the show was lipped.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...s-in-las-vegas
    I'm beyond caring. Despite the fact that she can't sing very well, most singers do that today, even ones you least suspect.

Two thoughts:
    1. There is a reason why modern record producers patch together the best snippets culled from hundreds of takes in order to create a song. The singers cannot sing well enough to produce a usable take. They do not even patch over mistakes because they don't sing the songs all the way through.
    2. This chick was paid millions to judge singers on "The X-Factor" who had more talent singing with laryngitis than she does on her best day. That is beyond ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1. There is a reason why modern record producers patch together the best snippets culled from hundreds of takes in order to create a song. The singers cannot sing well enough to produce a usable take. They do not even patch over mistakes because they don't sing the songs all the way through.
    2. This chick was paid millions to judge singers on "The X-Factor" who had more talent singing with laryngitis than she does on her best day. That is beyond ironic.
    Its a real sad state affairs jerryoz but theres one consilation at least her voice wont give out. LOL

Roberta

Most of the current crop of singers couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag....let alone sustain an entire concert. Plus, all the Cirque de Soeil acrobatics and such would make it almost impossible to really SING. It is what it is.....these days.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Most of the current crop of singers couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag....let alone sustain an entire concert.
    We don't know that for a fact. But, I can see how easy it can be to think they have no talent because of all the technology artists insist on using, even if they do have the chops.

But, I have reason to believe that the fad of using Autotune will go away, and am hearing signs of it on recent new releases.

But, remember, even naturally talanted singers have vocal coaches.

Adele is about the only one I see around now that has a real voice. Amy Winehouse did, but we saw what happened there. It seems like what little good vocalists there are come out of England. Everything form the US is just superficial crap.

Two thoughts:
    Not just modern record producers. It was done fifty years ago for the same reason. Shelley Fabares is an actress [[she played the daughter on the Donna Reed show and the girlfriend on COACH) , not a singer and yet she had a number one record because the producer took snippets of her sessions, put them together, used an echo chamber, and augmented it all with the beautiful voices of Darlene Love and the Blossoms. Shelley can't sing a lick, but the production is great and it gave her a number one hit

With the price of today's concert tickets, if I saw Gladys or Diana or another of my favorite artists lip syncing, I would feel cheated. And if I want to see acrobatics, I'll go to a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Not just modern record producers. It was done fifty years ago for the same reason. Shelley Fabares is an actress [[she played the daughter on the Donna Reed show and the girlfriend on COACH) , not a singer and yet she had a number one record because the producer took snippets of her sessions, put them together, used an echo chamber, and augmented it all with the beautiful voices of Darlene Love and the Blossoms. Shelley can't sing a lick, but the production is great and it gave her a number one hit

With the price of today's concert tickets, if I saw Gladys or Diana or another of my favorite artists lip syncing, I would feel cheated. And if I want to see acrobatics, I'll go to a circus.
    Goes a little bit, few years deeper - such as Annette Funicello. Her voice on its own was flatly thin, so to thicken it up enough for the radios, the producers "doubled" her voice together with technology, and that's 1958-59-ish!

While on the subject of lip syncing, why was it some television shows in the 1960's, such as "American Bandstand," chose to have their musical guests lip sync to the studio recording? They weren't doing circus-like acrobatics. I read somewhere that one reason was to help promote a current single.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    While on the subject of lip syncing, why was it some television shows in the 1960's, such as "American Bandstand," chose to have their musical guests lip sync to the studio recording? They weren't doing circus-like acrobatics. I read somewhere that one reason was to help promote a current single.
    As you said, lipsyncing was done to promote the recording. Also, as many of these shows didn't have a big production budget or a lot of lead time, it was cheaper to lip sync to the recording, as opposed to hiring, rehearsing and paying musicians.

This is a fascinating topic for me because I love live performances but have not been to a concert in years. The best thing about them is to hear the singers as they naturally are, without all of the studio magic. If they crack on a note it soldier through without calling attention to it, most fans like them more because of it.

Lip syncing to records was done on BANDSTAND, SOUL TRAIN and other TV shows. I doubt that anyone thought that they were watching a live performance.

I love concerts, live theatre and live TV because it IS live and anything can happen. It makes it exciting. Much of the music that we like by artists such as Gladys, Diana, Dionne, Stylistics and others of that generation did not use magical tricks when recording and can easily sound like the record when they perform.

Some of today's talent is talentless and must use tricks to record and sound good. But if they go on stage without those tricks it would be like drawing back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz and discovering that it was all a facade.

Milven, I recall a concert with Slave and the Brothers Johnson that was headlined by Rufus and Chaka circa 1978. I was thrilled to see the first two acts [[Louis Johnson and Mark Adams? Are you kidding me?), but having never appreciated Chaka's vocals on vinyl, I was never a big Rufus fan. I only stayed around to get more for my money.

To your point about anything happening, she absolutely blew me away. In fact, their songs sounded much better in concert than I recalled on recordings and I instantly became a fan of her and them. How sad that someone can lose the possibility of that experience because what they get is essentially a 3-D version of what they see and hear on MTV. Take a chance. Barnum may have been right about fools and their money being soon parted, but it doesn't make you less of a huckster to take advantage of it.

Jerry , I enjoyed reading about your experience with Chaka. Love the live experience and the possibility that anything can happen. A few years ago, saw Elaine Stritch at a cabaret in NYC. She forgot much of her materiel and had to have her pianist feed her the words as she sang. But she owned up to it, joked about it and the audience both forgave her for her forgetfulness and loved her for it. It was a most enjoyable experience. She is in her eighties and recently retired. Earlier this year, I saw Diana and she brought out surprise guest Gloria Gaynor to sing. Evidently, they didn't rehearse it, and once Gloria got the mike and wouldn't share, Diana had to find a way to get another mike. She did and the surprise of Gloria and the microphone issue made this an unforgettable concert. And back on subject, Diana's voice and the stage production of most of her songs sounded very much like the record. These are professional people.

smark21 Guest
    When I saw Diana Ross at Radio City back in 2010 or so she did lipsynch the Color Purple song What About Love. All other vocals were live though.

I'm in the obvious minority who insists that Barbra Streisand's performance at the Oscars looked like she was lip synching.

smark21 Guest
    I'm in the obvious minority who insists that Barbra Streisand's performance at the Oscars looked like she was lip synching.
    Which Oscar show? It might be on youtube.

smark21 Guest
    Two thoughts:
    Simon Cowell didn't pay Britney millions to judge singers...she was hired in hopes that she would have meltdowns like she had in public back in 07-08 so that the show could attract morbid curiosity seekers, but she was in better shape by then.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Which Oscar show? It might be on youtube.
    Last year. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptRcTrFdcs

And the video for those who can see it:

That Streisand performace is clearly not lip-synched. I know the studio version by heart. At the end of this performance her voice is a bit crackling, the almost 40 year old recording is flawless.

Last year. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptRcTrFdcs

And the video for those who can see it:
    And you think that was lipped? I would get an appointment with an ear doctor.

smark21 Guest
    Nope, not lipped. There are flaws in that performance and she's singing in a lower key than she used to.

A concert performance should not be lipped. Tina Turner was a dancer and a singer and did both with a real band behind her. Brittney Spears is probably not capable of singing live and therefore she would never be asked to do the national anthem. In fact, she couldn't sing it ! People should save their money and buy dvds of these performers; not spend a large amount on their so-called concerts.

These bimbos today just don't have the voice to sing live... I'm convinced of it, and the young generation DEFENDS them and acts like it's no big deal, that they CAN'T sing live because they are dancing and putting on a SHOW. It's bullshit, and like you all said, Tina dance her ass off and still sing, and even MADONNA sing live, for God's sake.

smark21 Guest

Actually in recent tours Madonna mixes live vocals with lipsynching[[see above). I don't have a problem if an act does some lipsynching as part of their show if the overall production delivers a satisfying show. Any act that deploys the full range of theatrics--dance, music, lights, multimedia content, sets--for a show and does it well and delivers an emotional journey/experience for the audience should be commended. Also there are plenty of acts out there who can sing and play live without resorting to tracks and lipsynching--it's up to the act to decide how they want to present themselves to their audience. No one should be forced to lipsynch and no one should be forced to do everything live if they don't want to do that. The audience can decide whether they like it or not. I think the main ethical line that should not be crossed if that if an act lipysynches their show [[in whole or in part) that they are not miming to someone else's voice. At least Britney Spears' fans and other fans of lipsynching dance pop acts seem to be aware their faves lip parts if not all of their show.

smark21 Guest

And here's an example of a current act that performs live, yet also provides the lights and multimedia staging to give a full experience [[though they don't do choreographed dance routines).
    Last edited by smark21; 01-01-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Smark, I understand your comments, but it makes me sad that fans of these acts just accept this as the norm and don't care. It's like the young generation is scarfing down bologna sandwiches and acting like it's Lobster Thermidor.

I'm not big into current bands, but Fun. has some real talent. I had only heard their studio stuff before I heard a live performance and realized the lead singer's voice was really that good live, too. No gimmicks. All about the music!