[REMOVE ADS]

The Last Genuine Motown Record...?

I was wondering which was the last Motown record released that had an identifiable classic Motown sound, and came to the conclusion it could be Keith and Darrell's "You're My Gardener", released on Tamla in July 1981.

Does anyone agree? Do you have any other suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSMI_1zCTs

[[Nice scenery, lester)

I'd go much further back the 80's!

....but then maybe I'm thinking of what I play these days! LOL

Motown = Detroit = Funk Brothers?

To my mind, the classic sound is a combination of the Snakepit, The Funk Brothers, the sound engineers, the mixing engineers etc. Take those things away and you have something that's just attempting to sound like classic Motown.

To my ears, even tracks from the golden era that were recorded in LA or NY usually lack the classic Motown sound. Either the drums or guitars or bass or keyboards, or brass or strings or background vocals or all of these plus the miking up plus the mix just weren't classic Motown.

This doesn't mean that Motown didn't produce some brilliant tracks outside of The Snakepit but they didn't really have that fully defined classic Motown sound. Even tracks recorded at Golden World didn't sound the same.

On that basis, I'd have to opt for something from 1972 or earlier. I might even argue that the classic sound disappeared when Hitsville went 16 track. That, however, might be nitpicking!

Having said all of that, I still haven't answered the OP's question. Sorry.

PS. Great track. That sounds so much like Smokey Robinson somewhere in there!

When I think of a Motown song I immediately think of the mid-60s Snakepit/Funks sound. Even though What's Going On is one of my favourite all time albums I don't think of it portraying what I regard as the Motown sound.

Personally, I cannot regard the OP's suggested song as last genuine classic Motown song.

This is the Motown sound for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmXWVOcTt3c

"Floy Joy"- The Supremes 1972

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I was wondering which was the last Motown record released that had an identifiable classic Motown sound, and came to the conclusion it could be Keith and Darrell's "You're My Gardener", released on Tamla in July 1981.

Does anyone agree? Do you have any other suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSMI_1zCTs

[[Nice scenery, lester)
    IMO there's nothing reminiscent about the "classic Motown sound" on this one. Very interesting topic, however, worthy of thought and discussion.

One of the earliest records that introduced me to the Motown sound was "What's So Good About Goodbye" in 1961. If the Miracles had recorded "Your My Gardener" with the Funk Brothers any time in the next decade, I don't think it would have sounded out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great choice.

Yeah. This track mines the same vein that Smokey opened up with classic tracks like "Save Me".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Good choice! I'd also name Jr Walker's "Walk In The Night" as one of the final songs released by Motown Records that had the "Motown Sound".

"Papa Was a Rollin' Stone".

I think a better question would be the last time Motown artists used house session players and the original Hitsville Detroit studios. I would never say that a Motown recording wasn't genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I think a better question would be the last time Motown artists used house session players and the original Hitsville Detroit studios. I would never say that a Motown recording wasn't genuine.
    Now that you mention it... I'm correcting myself: "Let's Get It On".

I am going to say "Still Waters Run Deep" by the Four Tops.

The last big hit with the sound was the aforementioned Papa Was A Rolling Stone