[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seventies blue-eyed soul

It's only recently I realised how soulful the lead vocal is on Elvin Bishop's Fooled Around And Fell In Love. And it's to my shame I've only just found out who the singer was - Mickey Thomas, later of Jefferson Starship, a band I have no time for at all. The record was a 'turntable hit' in the UK, getting lots of plays, but was not a big hit. And it still gets played today.
    Hall and Oates were just getting going in the Seventies, anybody else spring to mind? The Sixties gave us the Righteous Bros, PJ Proby, Shades of Blue, the Magnificent Men, Dusty and many more, what about the 70s.

Here's Mickey and Elvin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvglqc3QYq8

Certain records by England Dan & John Ford Coley, Boz Scaggs, Chicago , Gerry Raferty bring back fond memories

Heck, Bob Seger was very Soulful in the 70's before then and since. Check out my favorite from the 70's......"Night Moves"

Eddie Money had a soulful track that was very popular that I liked back in 1978 called "Baby Hold On to Me".

The Doobie Brothers

The Bee Gees and Andy Gibb

If I Ever Lose This Heaven - AWB
    Got To Get You Back - Sons Of Robin Stone
    If I Could Fly - Benny Mardonez
    Play That Funky Music - Rob Parissi/Wild Cherry
    Sara Smile - Hall & Oates
    Miracles - Jefferson Airplane [[Marty Balin)
    Hearts - Marty Balin
    Let It Be Whatever It Is - Frankie Valli
    Felix Cavalerie - Only A Lonely Heart Sees
    KC & The Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go

I tend to think of this one ..

Got to #24 on the Billboard R&B chart so it looks like a lot of other people thought the same ..

Roger

This is one that should have been HUGE ..

Roger

Our Jr. High School anthem! LOL!

Steely Dan and "Do It Again"

Robert Palmer was a class act and a great singer and entertainer. And he and george Benson were the best dressed guys on the talk shows!

You including the Eighties in this? If so, some good singers came from the eighties.
    Simply Red, also, one of my favorites, Paul Carrack.

Don't forget the Brecker Brothers--- Back to Back. [[ "What can a miracle do" and "Keep it steady") Around 1975-6 . Might have been considered more jazz, but a great album nonetheless.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 10-27-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    You including the Eighties in this? If so, some good singers came from the eighties.
    Simply Red, also, one of my favorites, Paul Carrack.
    Yes Imnokid .. PAUL CARRACK was a good singer, which reminds me of this one ..

Roger ..

Player - Baby Come Back

Gino Vannelli - "I Just Wanna Stop"

Bobby Caldwell - "What You Won't Do For Love"

VERY good choices Nothing But Soul.

Any advance on this one????

Roger

Well .. maybe the "B" side ..

Roger

One of my very favorite genres.. and damn this song has always been amazing:

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    It's only recently I realised how soulful the lead vocal is on Elvin Bishop's Fooled Around And Fell In Love. And it's to my shame I've only just found out who the singer was - Mickey Thomas, later of Jefferson Starship, a band I have no time for at all. The record was a 'turntable hit' in the UK, getting lots of plays, but was not a big hit. And it still gets played today.
    Hall and Oates were just getting going in the Seventies, anybody else spring to mind? The Sixties gave us the Righteous Bros, PJ Proby, Shades of Blue, the Magnificent Men, Dusty and many more, what about the 70s.

Here's Mickey and Elvin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvglqc3QYq8
    I'll be damned! I have no clue all these years! I just assumed Elvin Bishop was the one singing!

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I tend to think of this one ..

Got to #24 on the Billboard R&B chart so it looks like a lot of other people thought the same ..

Roger
    I LOVE them, so bizarre how they were the T-Bones in the 60's [[No Matter What Shape) and the lost one member, and became Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds. This is my favorite of theirs. Should have been number one.

How about this one as well ..

Roger

EDDIE HINTON 1978 ALBUM "VERY EXTREMELY DANGEROUS"

Of course, there's Pablo Cruise...

Pablo Cruise is certainly worthy of mention, Soulwally, although I've always preferred "Whatcha Gonna Do" to "Love Will Find A Way." A couple of other 70s records that come to mind are "Smoke From A Distant Fire" by the Sandford Townsend Band and "Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone. However, Redbone may not technically qualify for this thread--I'm skeptical that anyone in that band had blue eyes.

I actually agree on your choice of Pablo Cruise songs, NBS, it's just that I came upon that track first! Here's your pick...

[A Love Of Your Own - Average White Band
    I don't know how to insert the video, but this right here is a bad mama jamma!!
    http://youtu.be/bXtaTmpkT8g

Starbuck - Moonlight Feels Right
    Three Dog Night - You
    Steve Miller Band - Fly like a Eagle
    Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein, Free Ride
    Van Morrison - Wild Night
    Elton john - Philadelphia Freedom, Don't Go Breakin' My Heart [[with Kiki Dee)
    Skylark - Wildflower
    Joe South - Don't it Make You Want to Go Home
    Bonnie Bramlett - Superstar
    Peter Brown - Dance with Me
    David Bowie - Young American, Fame, Golden Years
    Evie Sands - You Brought the Woman out of Me, One thing on My Mind
    Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle Game
    Who - Who Are You
    Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me
    Suzi Quatro - Your Mama Won't Like Me
    Lynsey de Paul - Sugar me
    Four Seasons - Who Loves You
    Paul Simon & Phoebe Snow - Gone at Last
    Vicki Sue Robinson - Turn a Beat around
    Samantha Sang - Emotion
    Yvonne Elliman - Hello Stranger, If I can't Have You [[She is a Hawaiian, not White)
    Rare Earth - Warm Ride

Teena Marie made her debut at the end of this decade,
    but she was more like an '80s artist.

Are you guys talking about blue eyed soul or favorite 70s songs? Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle Again" is hard rock and the furthest thing from soul -- ever. Please. Paul Simon is not soul. Todd Rungren's "Hello It's Me" is a nice, soft mellow 70's hit. It is not soul. England Dan and John Ford Coley -- my goodness, schmaltzy soft pop. It is the furthest thing from soul ever.

Frankenstein and Free Ride are nice tunes by the Edgar Winter Group. They are NOT soul, never were, never intended to be. Fly Like an Eagle is a rock song. Moonlight Feels Right is soft U.S. pop -- period.

AWB? Yes, it's soul. Thank you. Bob Seger may be from Detroit, he's not soul. He's a rocker.

I love Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds -- they're not soul, however. Soft U.S. pop -- there's a difference. You may have good memories of "Baby Come Back" [[I don't), but it's soft, very soft, American, WHITE pop. The furthest thing from soul ... same with Ambrosia, though they're OK, but they're not soul. The Joker? Really, is this a joke? It's not soul, not even close and Steve Miller will be the first to admit it.

I like the band Chicago, they're brass, not soul, however, and have never claimed to be.

The Doobie Brothers? No ... freaking ... way .. are they soul, but I like them.

You got Robert Palmer and Bobby Caldwell right, but a lot of this, I'm sorry, is just a reach to find some blue-eyed artists. Sorry to be the cynic here, but when Steve Miller and Aerosmith are listed, I had to throw some reality into this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    Are you guys talking about blue eyed soul or favorite 70s songs? Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle Again" is hard rock and the furthest thing from soul -- ever. Please. Paul Simon is not soul. Todd Rungren's "Hello It's Me" is a nice, soft mellow 70's hit. It is not soul. England Dan and John Ford Coley -- my goodness, schmaltzy soft pop. It is the furthest thing from soul ever.

Frankenstein and Free Ride are nice tunes by the Edgar Winter Group. They are NOT soul, never were, never intended to be. Fly Like an Eagle is a rock song. Moonlight Feels Right is soft U.S. pop -- period.

AWB? Yes, it's soul. Thank you. Bob Seger may be from Detroit, he's not soul. He's a rocker.

I love Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds -- they're not soul, however. Soft U.S. pop -- there's a difference. You may have good memories of "Baby Come Back" [[I don't), but it's soft, very soft, American, WHITE pop. The furthest thing from soul ... same with Ambrosia, though they're OK, but they're not soul. The Joker? Really, is this a joke? It's not soul, not even close and Steve Miller will be the first to admit it.

I like the band Chicago, they're brass, not soul, however, and have never claimed to be.

The Doobie Brothers? No ... freaking ... way .. are they soul, but I like them.

You got Robert Palmer and Bobby Caldwell right, but a lot of this, I'm sorry, is just a reach to find some blue-eyed artists. Sorry to be the cynic here, but when Steve Miller and Aerosmith are listed, I had to throw some reality into this thread.
    I beg to differ. "Baby Come Back" by Player reached # 10 on the Billboard R&B/Soul Charts. I also stick by what I said about Bob Seger. He's soulful [[in my opinion)........it's in his voice, in his delivery.

Rare Earth anyone?

To me an indicator of what constitues "blue eyed soul" would be those records that get played on soul music oldies stations. One of the channels on XM radio that I frequently listed to is the Soul Town [[Classic Soul/Motown) channel. Artists of the blue-eyed soul variety that I can recall being played on Soul Town include the Rascals [["Groovin'"), the Soul Survivors [["Expressway"), the Average White Band [[several songs), Hall and Oates [["She's Gone"--XM also plays the Tavares version), Boz Scaggs [["Lowdown") and Bobby Caldwell [["What You Won't Do For Love").

You're right, Tsull, there's a lot of tunes been mentioned which are far away from the original idea of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Starbuck - Moonlight Feels Right
    Three Dog Night - You
    Steve Miller Band - Fly like a Eagle
    Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein, Free Ride
    Van Morrison - Wild Night
    Elton john - Philadelphia Freedom, Don't Go Breakin' My Heart [[with Kiki Dee)
    Skylark - Wildflower
    Joe South - Don't it Make You Want to Go Home
    Bonnie Bramlett - Superstar
    Peter Brown - Dance with Me
    David Bowie - Young American, Fame, Golden Years
    Evie Sands - You Brought the Woman out of Me, One thing on My Mind
    Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle Game
    Who - Who Are You
    Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me
    Suzi Quatro - Your Mama Won't Like Me
    Lynsey de Paul - Sugar me
    Four Seasons - Who Loves You
    Paul Simon & Phoebe Snow - Gone at Last
    Vicki Sue Robinson - Turn a Beat around
    Samantha Sang - Emotion
    Yvonne Elliman - Hello Stranger, If I can't Have You [[She is a Hawaiian, not White)
    Rare Earth - Warm Ride

Teena Marie made her debut at the end of this decade,
    but she was more like an '80s artist.
    Excellent list Blue! I'd even add Frankie Valli's "Grease" to the list.

Some White singers like Righteous Brothers tried to imitate how Black singers sounded like according to how White people perceived/comprehend Black music. And White audience loved them. But I realized what really Black music was not exactly same as what most of White musicians/audience liked to believe. Especially Black audience responds to not just a certain sound, rhythm or beat, but also to a certain groove.
    Songs like Steve Miller's "Fly like an Eagle" and Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" may not sound like Black music to average music fans who are not Black, but they were very popular at Black Clubs in New York in '70s. They responded to their groove.
    To me, Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle" is very funky, and isn't that why RUN-D.M.C. covered it? And the same thing can be said to Todd Rundgren's "Hello it's me"
    "Moonlight Feels Right" definitely got the groove, and Paul Simone obviously not Blue eyed Soul, but this particular song "Gone at Last" is just like Gospel, especially with Phoebe's super vocal.

The point of view like tsull1's is understandable, but I think it is just based on how non-Black audience, especially White, perceives and believe what Black music should sound like. And I basically agree with what Nothing But Soul stated "an indicator of what constitutes "blue eyed soul" would be those records that get played on soul music oldies stations."

Some White musicians like Gino Vannelli and Player may have not intentionally tried to sound like Black musicians, but their hits "I Just Wanna Stop" and "Baby Come Back" got a groove which Black audience loved.
    Some White musician intentionally imitated Black music or borrowed from it, and White audience loved them.

Then who are supposed to define what Black music should or should not sound like?
    White people?

"Walk this way" was covered by a rap group; Back in the Saddle -- one of the least soulful songs of all time, was not covered. It is hard rock the whole way, not one iota soul.

I don't care if Steve Miller's Joker or Fly Like an Eagle was in some black clubs, it's not even close to soul, never was, never will be. It's not -- period. It's so far from it. Beethoven is closer to soul than that. Moonlight Feels Right with it's schmaltzy vibrophone solo is really, REALLY not soul. Dancing in the Moonlight might be a little soulful, not Moonlight Feels Right. To me, saying that's soul is an insult to soul.

Frankenstein and Free Ride aren't even close. That's rock. It just is. I'm not trying to hammer the poster on this, it just is, period, case closed, end of story. Edgar Winter and Bob Seeger toured with metal bands [[Edgar was actually my very first concert ... it was loud, pounding rock), promoted themselves as rockers, played arena rock. Let's not insult the great genre of soul by grouping these people in. It's like saying Al Green is metal or The Stylistics are folk rock. Please, let's get a grip here.

Hall & Oates, AWB, Bobby Caldwell, some of Boz Scaggs, yep, that's Blue Eyed Soul. Aerosmith and Steve Miller. Please, please, please, no, I'm begging you, no. I told some friends this and they laughed and said, "You're kidding, me right? Aerosmith?" I said, I'm not kidding.

[QUOTE=tsull1;198678]I don't care if Steve Miller's Joker or Fly Like an Eagle was in some black clubs, it's not even close to soul, never was, never will be. It's not -- period. It's so far from it.

I agree that Steve Miller's version of "Fly Like an Eagle" is not blue-eyed soul. However, the song was eventually covered by the Neville Brothers. That song led off their Family Groove album and was also released as a single. I guess in the right hands, any song can be soulful. Look at some of the unlikely tunes the Isley Brothers covered [["Love The One Your With", "Summer Breeze", etc.).

I second the Soul Survivors.

Got ask Elvin why he didn't sing on "Fooled Around And Fell In Love." He said he tried to, but his voice couldn't handle the song. Then he explained that having limited vocal prowess helped him as a songwriter. Here's his quote:

"To really get over with a voice like mine, which is not a thrill in itself – the quality of the voice – you have to have a strong story and really good words to capture people's imagination"

Ain't much better than this. This song just kicks ass and takes names!

I don't think I've seen a mention of Joe Cocker anywhere in this thread.

Best,

Mark

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned this classic...!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned this classic...!

Could it be because it was recorded in 1968 and this thread was intended to be about "'70s recordings"?

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Could it be because it was recorded in 1968 and this thread was intended to be about "'70s recordings"?

Roger
    Oh, well be that way then!