[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations - Message From A Black Man

Classic track from 'Puzzle People'. Still says so much today. Change the words 'white/black' and insert 'gay/disabled/poor' etc.

I loved this and the Spinners' version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Classic track from 'Puzzle People'. Still says so much today. Change the words 'white/black' and insert 'gay/disabled/poor' etc.
    OH I AGREE! Hell any of the girl groups from this era could've covered it as "Message From a Black Woman". Hell, Carl Bean could've covered it and called it "Message From a Gay Man". Because it definitely fits.

No matter how hard you try, you can't stop me now!

Hey, now that's an idea. Gladys Knight would have made a killer version of it

^ So true. I'm amazed she didn't lol

The Whatnauts

Another good version.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    OH I AGREE! Hell any of the girl groups from this era could've covered it as "Message From a Black Woman". Hell, Carl Bean could've covered it and called it "Message From a Gay Man". Because it definitely fits.

No matter how hard you try, you can't stop me now!
    It was a bold statement from Norman Whitfield & the Temptations at the time, probably the most political song to come from Motown at the time. I'm told Disc Jockeys in Detroit and other cities played it regularly. It was popular and everyone was waiting for a single edit, but the Ttemptations were getting bookings in Las Vegas and Madison Square Garden and were popular with whites, and Mmotown or the group's management decided not to go with MTAB as a single. The Spinners' version was released instead. I've never cared for their cover.

The Spinners Version

The speed up wasn't a good idea.

^ You notice in most of MotownMaster's videos, the 45's are like sped up to two different pitches? But yeah they rushed the Spinners' version.

To me no one can sing this like the Temptations. The Tempts were in thrie prime then with the "Cloud Nine", "Puzzle People" and "Psychedelic Shack" albums.

I agree; commercially, those 70's Tempts bested the 60's Tempts; but I bet many of us liked the 60's Tempts more.

But Black Man is very very strong. Basically, all the other versions stick pretty close to what the Tempts did.

This record took Chicago by storm, one of the most played and requested tracks for the album on Chicago radio. On any night in the neighborhood you could hear divergent voices forming a chorus of " No Matter how hard you try you cant stop me now !"

No matter how hard you try...

One of thier best but because of the times they didn't perform it in person.