[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Let`s just hope that if there is to be a "1964 Motown Unreleased" that all those artists will get a taste of the action. I haven`t had the pleasure of hearing Clyde Wilson and Edward Earling.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  21.1 KB

Duplicate post..
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-17-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Let`s just hope that if there is to be a "1964 Motown Unreleased" that all those artists will get a taste of the action. I haven`t had the pleasure of hearing Clyde Wilson and Edward Earling.
Views: 517
    I had heard that 1963 would be the last year that would apply to the 50 year law. If so, there will be no 1964 Motown unreleased.

You've heard Clyde Wilson as Steve Mancha [[on Groovesville and Wheelsville USA Records). I've not heard any of his Motown cuts. But, I remember him saying that he recorded a few songs while with Motown. I did see that he got some songwriting credits on a couple of 1963 and 1964 Tamla records.

Edward Earling had a good voice. He sang several mid-tempo cuts, similar in style to some 1963 songs sung by Eddie Holland and Marv Johnson. I've head about 5 of them. They were all good [[not fantastic-but good sounding). They sounded like Holland-Dozier-Gorman and Bateman-Holland-Gorman and Bateman-Stevenson style written songs. Nothing great, but decent typical Motown from that period.

Views: 510

I listened to the snippets. Wow! That Sammy Ward cut is REAL Blues. with a fantastic Blues guitar solo. That's the first real Blues I've heard on Motown [[other than "Devil With The Blue Dress" by Shorty Long. Everything else by Sammy Ward, Mable John, LaBrenda Ben, and the other songs on "Switched on Blues" were just Bluesy R&B -not standard Blues chord progression.

The other songs I liked were 2 fast, but sweet Freddie Gorman songs, one fast one by LaBrenda Ben and one Brenda Holloway song. Not a lot of high quality. But, not only are none of the Edward Earling songs there, but, also a Versatones' cut that hasn't been released on CD, and some others. This is NOT ALL the 1963 Motown cuts that have not yet been released.

Robb are you saying that there is another unreleased 1963 download coming up or is it a new release from Ace?

Views: 504
    No other release that I know of -just not everything I've seen or heard being released.

Roger: "You're Gonna Come To Me" -
    v1 rec 15/8/61 released on Let The Music Play
    v2 rec 10/12/61 also released on LTMP
    v3 rec 28/2/63 Motown Unreleased 1963
    v4 rec 25/11/63 WDOLG

- and, as far as I'm aware - That's All Folks!

Robb: Anita Knorl must have had a contract, or we wouldn't have been allowed to put "If WIshes Came True" on the Ace "Finders Keepers" CD.

Am I right in thinking there must be lots of band tracks recorded to which no lyrics were written so no vocals recorded? If there are, could the best of these not be released at some point as a tribute to the musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Recording details for "Motown Unreleased 1963" are now available on the DFTMC site ... you can get there from "Bonus Tracks" at the bottom of the home page.
    Great work as always, Keith. Thanks so much for providing this information.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 517
    I had heard that 1963 would be the last year that would apply to the 50 year law. If so, there will be no 1964 Motown unreleased.
    Recordings first released in 1963 or later are protected by copyright in the EU for 70 years from the date of first release [[as opposed to recordings first released in 1962 or earlier, which got 50 years). But if a recording is not released within 50 years, the copyright in the EU expires. That's why we got Motown Unreleased 1963 last year. If Universal has unreleased tracks from 1964 that they don't want to go into the public domain, they have to release them this year.

A brief summary of the current copyright directive:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...und-recordings

Full details can be found here:
    http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/...n/index_en.htm

I think you have it exactly right, Calvin. So let's hope there'll be a new page on DFTMC for 1964 Unreleaseds soon ... !

Roger: "You're Gonna Come To Me" -
    v1 rec 15/8/61 released on Let The Music Play
    v2 rec 10/12/61 also released on LTMP
    v3 rec 28/2/63 Motown Unreleased 1963
    v4 rec 25/11/63 WDOLG

- and, as far as I'm aware - That's All Folks!

Robb: Anita Knorl must have had a contract, or we wouldn't have been allowed to put "If WIshes Came True" on the Ace "Finders Keepers" CD.
    Many thanks Keith it`s just that "WDOLG" claimed that it contained version 3.
    Re Anita Knorl, I believe that there is an unreleased track called "Don`t Be Too Long" from 1962.If so would it be the Berry Gordy song that Chris Clark recorded?

I think you have it exactly right, Calvin. So let's hope there'll be a new page on DFTMC for 1964 Unreleaseds soon ... !
Views: 447
    Given THAT fact, there certainly WILL be one. That's good news.

Many thanks Keith it`s just that "WDOLG" claimed that it contained version 3.
    Re Anita Knorl, I believe that there is an unreleased track called "Don`t Be Too Long" from 1962.If so would it be the Berry Gordy song that Chris Clark recorded?
Views: 445
    Wow! I'd certainly like to hear that recording. I think there's a very good chance that's the same song that Chris Clark recorded. It has a "1962 feel" to it in that mid-tempo pacing that Motown was developing that year.

Don't Be Too Long: DFTMC shows they are the same song, Roger. Chris Clark's version is just a 1965 vocal overdub onto Anita's 1962 track.

Thanks for that Keith. Now with Chris Clark, I found a list of 0ver 60 unreleased songs by the lady. Do you know if they exist or have we had all that she recorded for Motown?
    Can you give us a hint of a future Ace release as Christmas is looking rather bleak this year with nothing in the pipeline?

Lulu Guest
    Thanks for that Keith. Now with Chris Clark, I found a list of 0ver 60 unreleased songs by the lady. Do you know if they exist or have we had all that she recorded for Motown?
    Can you give us a hint of a future Ace release as Christmas is looking rather bleak this year with nothing in the pipeline?
    This probably isn't news to you but Spectrum/Tamla released a 2 disc Anthology on Chris a few years back. You can get it via Amazon third party vendors for a bargain. It's quite a collection and all the Chris I need so I'd recommend picking it up if you haven't already!

Thanks Lulu, I have the Chris Clark disc that you mention. This list that I found are all titles that have not appeared yet. Here are some of them:
    "Check Yourself", "Don`t Look Back", "I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Do", "My Daddy Knows Best" and "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" these are some of the tunes that we know from Motown artists. Others are "Then Was Then", World Without You" and "Through The Tears"

I don't think the last three titles appear in the Jobete catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I don't think the last three titles appear in the Jobete catalogue.
    They probably don`t but are are part of the list that Chris Clark supposedly recorded along with "Sunny" and "Joey"

RossHolloway Guest
    Any news/update for Unreleased 1964? It's been around this time in December the last two years that they were announced. My fingers are crossed that we get Unreleased Motown 1964.