[REMOVE ADS]

The 100 Greatest Funk Albums of All Time‏

I'm not too sure if a list like this has ever been compiled or for that matter, been compiled by any credible music site. We've always had numerous conversations about what makes Funk, Funk. Who are the most consistent players in the game, and what albums still hold significance in the 21st century. I would love to get the thoughts and opinions from you guys [[and gals) about which Funk albums still remain close to your hearts and which albums have fallen from grace. By the way, this is in no particular order. This is just a list of 100 Funk classics that made me the Funkateer that I am today.

Mothership Connection-Parliament
    Fufillingness First Finale-Stevie Wonder
    The Many Facets of Roger-Roger
    Stone Jam-Slave
    Tower Of Power-TOP
    Live It Up-The Isley Brothers
    Accept No Substitutes-Pleasure
    Composite Truth-Mandrill
    Urban Dancefloor Guerillas-P-Funk All Stars
    Look Out For Number 1-Brothers Johnson

Play Me Or Trade Me-Parlet
    Brass Construction-BC
    Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On-Funkadelic
    Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome-Parliament
    Stand-Sly and the Family Stone
    Rejuvenation-The Meters
    The Payback-James Brown
    Average White Band-AWB
    Black Rock-Bar Kays
    Bustin' Loose-Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers

It's A New Day-James Brown
    Do It Til You're Satisfied-BT Express
    Secret Omen-Cameo
    Never Buy Texas From A Cowboy-Brides Of Funkenstein
    5-Brass Construction
    Game, Dames, and Guitar Thangs-Eddie Hazel
    Open Sesame-Kool and the Gang
    Summertime Groove-Bohannon
    Computer Games-George Clinton
    Food For Thought-the J.B.'s

Faces-Earth, Wind and Fire
    Band Of Gypsys-Hendrix
    3+3-The Isley Brothers
    Reach For It-George Duke
    Betty Davis-BD
    The Gap Band I
    Now Do U Wanta Dance-Graham Central Station
    Cymande-Self Titled
    Fantastic Voyage-Lakeside
    Garden Of Love-Rick James

Skin Tight-Ohio Players
    Mandrill-Solid
    Back To The World-Curtis Mayfield
    Sign O The Times-Prince
    Zapp-Self titled
    What Time Is It?-The Time
    A Real Mother For Ya-Johnny Guitar Watson
    Showtime-Slave
    In Full Bloom-Rose Royce
    In Romance 1600-Sheila E

Ahh...the Name Is Bootsy, Baby!-Bootsy's Rubber Band
    Let's Take It To The Stage-Funkadelic
    There's A Riot Goin' On-Sly and the Family Stone
    Up For The Down Stroke-Parliament
    Cabbage Alley-The Meters
    This Boot Is Made For Fonk-N!-Bootsy's Rubber Band
    Live At The Apollo: Vol. 2-James Brown
    Osmium-Parliament
    Maggot Brain-Funkadelic
    Wild and Peaceful-Kool and the Gang

Right On Time-Brothers Johnson
    All The Woo In The World-Bernie Worrell
    Too Hot To Stop-Bar Kays
    Breakwater-Self titled
    She's Strange-Cameo
    Its Just Begun-Jimmy Castor Bunch
    Real People-Chic
    Machine Gun-Commodores
    Cameosis-Cameo
    That's The Way Of The World-Earth, Wind, and Fire

Headhunters-Herbie Hancock
    Survival Of The Fittest-The Headhunters
    Gap Band IV-GB
    Secret Omen-Cameo
    The Heat Is On-The Isley Brothers
    Bustin' Out Of L Seven-Rick James
    Night Birds-Labelle
    Curtis-Curtis Mayfield
    Just Outside Of Town-Mandrill
    Superfly-Curtis Mayfield

Fire-Ohio Players
    1999-Prince
    Player Of The Year-Bootsy's Rubber Band
    Live At The Apollo-James Brown
    Motor Booty Affair-Parliament
    One Nation Under A Groove-Funkadelic
    Fresh-Sly and the Family Stone
    Stretchin' Out In Bootsy's Rubber Band-BRB
    Revolution Of The Mind-James Brown
    Ultra Wave-Bootsy

Blam-Brothers Johnson
    Injoy-Bar Kays
    The Black Album-Prince
    The Gap Band II-GB
    Ain't No Bout A Doubt It-Graham Central Station
    The Gap Band III-GB
    Pleasure Principle-Parlet
    Honey-The Ohio Players
    Sex Machine [[Live)-James Brown
    Go For Your Guns!-The Isley Brothers

Looks like you have just about all of the usual suspects listed there though I'd have to add to
    my attempt at a listing these:
    Good High by Brick
    Do It Til Your Satisfied BT Express
    Secrets Con Funk Shun
    Boogie Down America People's Choice and
    Zombie by Fela Kuti. His Mister Follow Follow is IMO even funkier than the track Nubian Nut
    that GC interpolated from...
    Also have mention Eric Burton Declare War, Kassav's Majestic Zouk and King Floyd's Groove Me...others I'm sure I'm forgetting- dang, Dyke and The Blazers come to mind but I can't remember the title of the album their Funky Broadway came from as it wasn't mine but a cousin's...

Timmyfunk, I think it'd stir an interesting debate if the list was brought down to perhaps 20 or [[God forbid) 10 albums. That is one comprehensive list, covering everything from P-Funk to punk funk to Go Go. I was glad that you put "Stone Jam" by Slave on it; "Sizzling Hot" is one of my favorite songs to hear pumping through speakers. Sometimes, I think I'm the only one who remembered it.

There's a lot of Cameo on the list, but I would have thrown "Feel Me" [[or even "Knights of the Sound Table") in there somewhere. But, I once put songs together for a cabaret and included 2 1/2 CDs [[26 songs) of Cameo music, so I love everything that Larry & company did. I might have replaced Pleasure's "Special Things" for their "Accept No Substitutes" on the list, but that's just one of my personal faves. You dug deep into your knowledge bank for that list. Well done, brother.

I appreciate your appreciation. Much thanks.

My bad, I just noticed Tim did mention BT Express...

Jerry, though I get what you're saying about whittling down the number and kinda agreed
    when i first saw your remark, after I thought about it for a minute I realised 10 albums would
    knock off too many great funk releases. Even twenty would. James Brown and P-funk would
    cut just about everyone else out of the story as they actually have to quite a few critics in the biz for years, with everybody being compared to them and them being the most sampled artists in hip-hop for over 20 years. I hear you on Feel Me,though. Cameo's earlier,
    raw sound I liked as much as their slicker later productions but they never got too slick.
    I liked the earlier, Junie Morrison era of the Ohio Players . I bought all the Billy Beck stuff,
    I mean SkinTight was a mother [[RIP,Sugar) but nobody wrote changes like Junie and his solo
    releases showed that. There was so much talent in these bands. Okay, I'll say it:
    I miss that....

I'll be working on the 100 greatest Funk singles tonight.

I bought 71 of those albums you listed.
    I'll add
    G Washington Mister Magic, Feels so Good, Secret Place
    Donald Byrd Places and Spaces, Caricatures, TFFUML
    EW+F Gratitude, Spirit
    Johnny Guitar Watson Aint that a bitch
    Brothers Johnson Look out for #1
    Herbie Hancock Thrust, Manchild, Secrets and Sunlight
    George Duke Don't let go
    Quincy Jones Body Heat, Stuff like that
    Average White band Cut the Cake, Soul searching
    Commodores Caught in the act, Zoom
    The JB's Breaking Bread
    Maxayn Bail out for fun
    War World is a ghetto, Galaxy
    Mtume Juicy
    Pete Brown Do ya wanna get funky with me?
    Ohio Payers Pain and pleasure = ecstacy
    Idris Mohamed Turn this mutha out
    Ronnie Laws Pressure Sensitive
    I think that's 29 to add to the 71 you have that I have, hope that didn't confuse!
    That wasn't that hard really. The great spring to mind with no effort required. Good thread Timmyfunk. The 7" and 12" list WILL be harder though!

Some things really wrong here.... No room for Roy Ayers or the Brekkers, Rufus, Manu Dibango, Stanley Clarke, Creative Source, The Yellow Jackets!! I'm not changing anything though.
    Last edited by tamla617; 12-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Tamla617, would you replace any of timmyfunk's albums with any of yours? Just trying to stir up a little discussion...

"Uncle Jam Wants You" - Funkadelic - my opinion, THE Holy Grail of all that is funky, old school - all over fifteen minutes of "Skin Deep" alone, Phillip Wynne as "Uncle Jam" was pretty awesome too.

Part of the magic of P funk is how effiecently they used the talent that had previously shined
    in other acts. Phillipe had been a Spinner, Junie an Ohio Player, Bootsy a JB, etc....
    I'm waiting on the singles, Tim....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Tamla617, would you replace any of timmyfunk's albums with any of yours? Just trying to stir up a little discussion...
    With not a hint of disrespect, no. His stack is so close to mine it could have been the same person buying! I'd be happy with that lot plus mine! I've never heard a Roger, Roger track as far as I'm aware. I think everyones collection is pretty much unique once you're over 300 LPs. I've never seen another collection with the Maxayn "Bail out"and the Creative source[[ Our Ralph has a credit on there too) "Migration" LP. Both were well received in the UK Soul mags but under rated by the public and deserved better sales.
    Tell you what tho', the singles top 100 is going to be fun, difficult to compile and interesting to read. There will be some common ground and some really obscure stuff, hopefully! I can agree with all the lps mentioned in this thread. There are a couple I haven't heard or wouldn't/didn't buy. Chic stuff, I didn't buy. I might have if I'd had some spare cash after I've got all the LPs I really wanted, artist loyalty if you like, It got expensive! I was buying 2-3+ LPs a week 75-79/80. The knock off year is an example of a baby arriving!
    Last edited by tamla617; 12-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Hah! Sounds a little like me. My first job was in 1978 and my first album came when I left school on my lunch break to buy Parliament's "Gloryhallastoopid" along with "Candy" by Con Funk Shun. After that, I trekked to the record stores every payday to buy at least two [[and as many as six) albums per week. Many were on spec and curiosity. I could never put together a top 100 singles list that would match any of you guys' because mine would have songs that I don't think many paid attention to like "Get Lucky" by Well Red, "Knock It" by Fishbone, "Play Widit" by Con Funk Shun, and "Law of the Raw" by Pleasure.

Oh, and "The Big Bang Theory" off of that "Gloryhallastoopid" album would be in my top 10, beyond a doubt...

Must dig that one out, haven't heard that for years! The Freeze [[sizleenmeen, Spelling might not be right!) and Color me Funky were my two cuts from the LP. I think Trombopipulation was next and the last one I bought. I wasn't into that in a big way.

Its a way of life that's vanished. From going to 5 or 6 record shops a week, I cant go to a [[second hand) record shop within 35 miles of home. Same for shops selling cd's exclusively.

I used to find reasons to drive for hours listening to my mix tapes. I knew I did well when my homeboys would get quiet before asking "Man, I like that cut! Who is that?". Say what you will about the convenience of CDs and digital downloads, but nothing beats the experience of tearing the plastic off of a new LP, putting it on, and reading the liner notes as you listened to it for the first time. BTW: You need a magnifying glass just to read the liner notes on CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    "Uncle Jam Wants You" - Funkadelic - my opinion, THE Holy Grail of all that is funky, old school - all over fifteen minutes of "Skin Deep" alone, Phillip Wynne as "Uncle Jam" was pretty awesome too.
    Personally I've always considered that album to be very uneven, with Knee Deep and Uncle Jam being the saving graces of that LP. They could've shortened Knee Deep and put the 15 minute version on a 12" single [[which they still did), discard Foot Soliders and Holly. The Family Series CD's proved that there much more quality songs that could have been put in place.

Hah! Sounds a little like me. My first job was in 1978 and my first album came when I left school on my lunch break to buy Parliament's "Gloryhallastoopid" along with "Candy" by Con Funk Shun. After that, I trekked to the record stores every payday to buy at least two [[and as many as six) albums per week. Many were on spec and curiosity. I could never put together a top 100 singles list that would match any of you guys' because mine would have songs that I don't think many paid attention to like "Get Lucky" by Well Red, "Knock It" by Fishbone, "Play Widit" by Con Funk Shun, and "Law of the Raw" by Pleasure.

Oh, and "The Big Bang Theory" off of that "Gloryhallastoopid" album would be in my top 10, beyond a doubt...
    Oh no you didn't say Get Lucky. One of theee most underrated 80's Funk jams, released at a time when hardcore Funk was all but dead on black radio.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    Must dig that one out, haven't heard that for years! The Freeze [[sizleenmeen, Spelling might not be right!) and Color me Funky were my two cuts from the LP. I think Trombopipulation was next and the last one I bought. I wasn't into that in a big way.

Its a way of life that's vanished. From going to 5 or 6 record shops a week, I cant go to a [[second hand) record shop within 35 miles of home. Same for shops selling cd's exclusively.
    I really don't know if the record stores in my area will be around much longer. But for now I'll try to clean them out of what they do have.

I used to find reasons to drive for hours listening to my mix tapes. I knew I did well when my homeboys would get quiet before asking "Man, I like that cut! Who is that?". Say what you will about the convenience of CDs and digital downloads, but nothing beats the experience of tearing the plastic off of a new LP, putting it on, and reading the liner notes as you listened to it for the first time. BTW: You need a magnifying glass just to read the liner notes on CDs.
    The exact feeling I got every time I purchased a new P-Funk LP. Breaking that seal was the equivalent of a wine connoisseur popping open a new bottle of Wine's Creek.