[REMOVE ADS]

~~~what is the first 45 record you bought??~~~

Hello Everyone,

Growing up I received a weekly allowance. What is the first 45 record you bought?? For me it was either "Poor Little Fool" by Ricky Nelson or "Quarter To Three" by Gary U.S. Bonds. I can't remember which was first, because I bought one one week and the other the next.

~~Mary~~

Name:  a 45.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  28.0 KB

* The first 45 record I fell in love with belonged to my brother it was:
    "Sha-boom" by The Chords on the Cat Label in 1954. I was about 7 or 8 years old.

* The first record I ever bought myself was:
    "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis Presley in 1956, the story and the singer resonated with me.

S.S.

Just One Look - Doris Troy, 1963

There were some pop things Iiked and we bought as a family [[my mum and sister were particularly interested in the popula records of the time), but the first R&B/soul record bought for me on her Saturday morning shopping trips was I Count The Tears, by the Drifters.
    A terrific record then, still a terrific record, and I have it to this day, on the UK London Atlantic label.

The first 45 I ever bought was Rock Your Baby by George Mcrae in 1974

I bought my first singles as 'ex jukebox' from a market stall, but the first single I went out and bought new from a store was 'Glad All Over' by The Dave Clark Five. The first soul record I went out and bought - actually rushed out and bought - after hearing it on the radio was 'Go Now' by Bessie Banks.

I still have it!

Attachment 7676

I was nine years old. The first record I distinctly recall buying with my own money was "Joy To The World" by Three Dog Night in April of 1971:Name:  JTRW.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  97.5 KB

The first record I had bought for me was Connie Francis's "Lipstick On Your Collar". The first record I went out and bought myself when I had my own record player was the Marvelettes' "Locking Up My Heart".

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  21.1 KB
    I had my parents buy "Golden Teardrops" by The Flamingos, "Money Honey" by The Drifters, "The White Cliffs of Dover" by The Checkers, and "The Glory Of Love" by The Five Keys, on 78s, for my birthday in 1953.

The first records I bought were: "Gee"/"I Love You So" by The Crows, "Sh-Boom" by The Chords. "Sixty Minute Man" by The Dominoes, "Honey Love" by The Drifters and "Devil or Angel" by The Clovers in 1954, on 45s, to play on my new, portable turntable that my parents had bought for me, that had an adjustable [[portable) 45 adapter centrepiece.

From 1954, I was steadily buying more 45s, and by 1957, was buying many 45s from the bargain bins in the various record shops, and was also buying used records in thrift stores, junk stores, and furniture stores. I amassed a lot of 45s [[thousands) for from between 5¢ to 25¢ apiece, and was also able to replace all my 78s with 45s [[which were much easier to handle). I also bought many bargain bin and thrift store LPs for from 25¢ to $1.00.

By 1960, a had a very large collection, which kept growing heavily through about 1970, and almost stopped growing altogether in mid 1972, when I moved to The Netherlands. I only bought a few albums after that, and traded quantities of duplicate valuable old 45s for rare 45s I didn't have.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-30-2013 at 10:30 PM.

" I Wanna Be Your Man" Rolling Stones, Christmas 1963.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJCkbbMnEPg

Along with Twist and Shout EP The Beatles

I honestly cannot remember the first 45 I ever bought, records were given to me throughout
    my childhood so often and my mother shared all of her music with me. There are things I
    can remember hearing once on the radio and then jumping up, dressing and going out and
    buying [[ Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On, The Temptations Ball Of Confusion) but I owned stuff
    before that, even 78's, though I know those were passed down to me.
    What struck me here was some of the responses, for instance I've alway thought of the Rolling Stones as the "anti-Beatles" and was quite surprised to learn that they covered a
    Lennon-McCarthy song in 1963! I had absolutely no ears for them then....

I'm loving your responses. I grew up listening to my father's jazz records, and I loved them. I wore some of them out. He bought me the Disney albums and such and I would dream about being Cinderella, Snow White, etc.. I was always drawn to those jazz artists like King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughan and many others. I think it was that foundation that led to a natural progression for my love of R&B/vocal harmony and soul music. I love classic rock, too, and am a fan of many from the British Invasion. Their heros were our R&B pioneers. I was as caught up in Beatlemania as everyone else at the time. But, my favorites were The Rolling Stones, The Animals, John Mayer's Blues Breakers, all of Clapton's groups, etc.. - those with an R&B edge. I was always attracted to groups and artists who took from those traditional jazz roots.

~~Mary~~
    Last edited by JIVE FIVE Mary G.; 12-01-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Baby Talk by Jan & Dean

edafan

I Stand Accused - Jerry Butler

"Sweet Pea" by Tommy Roe.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I honestly cannot remember the first 45 I ever bought, records were given to me throughout
    my childhood so often and my mother shared all of her music with me. There are things I
    can remember hearing once on the radio and then jumping up, dressing and going out and
    buying [[ Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On, The Temptations Ball Of Confusion) but I owned stuff
    before that, even 78's, though I know those were passed down to me.
    What struck me here was some of the responses, for instance I've alway thought of the Rolling Stones as the "anti-Beatles" and was quite surprised to learn that they covered a
    Lennon-McCarthy song in 1963! I had absolutely no ears for them then....
    I owned a lot of records before I bought them with my own money. I got records for Christmas, my birthday, and some were handed down to me. The first records I owned, but did not buy myself were:

Brown-Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
    Light My Fire - The Doors
    I Think We're Alone Now - Tommy James & The Shondells
    Last edited by soulster; 12-02-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I discovered a typo

"Bye Bye Baby" by Mary Wells.

Flash Light by Parliament. No surprise there.

"Grazing in the Grass" by Hugh Masekela! When my parents brought us a record player, the first record my Mother brought home was "Do Right Woman" by the Queen of Soul.

Great Day - Whispers

"Love Train" by The O'Jays with a great flipside of "Who Am I."

The first 45 I bought was "Maneater" by Hall and Oates. The first LP I bought was 1999 by Prince. I bought the Prince record first.

I think it was, "Midnight At The Oasis" by Maria Muldaur

Views: 316
    Wow! Lots of young people on this thread!

thomas96 Guest
    Wow. I believe mine was Little Stevie Wonder - Fingertips

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 316
    Wow! Lots of young people on this thread!
    Lots of old people too!

1980 - I was 8 yrs old, but my first 5 45's the same day:

"Ling Ting Tong/Wisdom Of A Fool" - 5 Keys
    "Sunday Kind Of Love/I'll Never Tell" - The Harptones
    "You've Really Got A Hold On Me/I'll Try Something New" -The Miracles
    "Heatwave/Come And Get These Memories" - Martha & The Vandellas
    "Mickey's Monkey/A Love She Can Count On" - The Miracles

My first 7” single purchase was Rainbow by Marmalade, followed a week or so later by All Right Now by Free. My first Motown singles were Never Had A Dream Come True by Stevie Wonder and Ball Of Confusion by The Temptations; even now, more than forty years later, Stevie Wonder and The Temptations remain my favourite artists.