[REMOVE ADS]

Motown - the Musical financial results per week

Dear forum members,

I stumbled across some weekly results for the musical.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses/MOTOWNTHE-MUSICAL

Save to say, it's a hit!

Wow! I'm not an expert at Broadway accounting methods, but I have read that for a show to turn a profit it has to maintain about 90% of gross sales of capacity. What's interesting about Motown the Musical is that it seems to be building week after week, and in recent weeks is at or close to 100% of capacity in gross sales. That is an excellent sign and means it should run a long time. I don't think the musical would be that interesting to me - seeing Berry and Diane singing 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' or other Motown songs to each other seems a little creepy to me - but I am thrilled that it's a hit and that it will expose this music to so many new fans.

I wonder if it has resulted in a few more sales of Motown songs and a few more dollars of royalties to those that need them.

it will also help all the surviving Motown stars that appear or are name checked in the show to get bigger , better and more frequent gigs, as thousands and thousands see the show..not to mention what will happen when the film version is released ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    it will also help all the surviving Motown stars that appear or are name checked in the show to get bigger , better and more frequent gigs, as thousands and thousands see the show..not to mention what will happen when the film version is released ..
    There will be a film version? SWEET!

as successful as MOTOWN THE MUSICAL is, it will definately follow the stage to screen model of DREAMGIRLS, THE WIZ, MAMA MIA,ROCK OF AGES, right up to JERSEY BOYS which Clint Eastwood is in the process of producing as a film at this very moment..

The film is inevitable, ya. A Mahogany style love story?!?!*

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    as successful as MOTOWN THE MUSICAL is, it will definately follow the stage to screen model of DREAMGIRLS, THE WIZ, MAMA MIA,ROCK OF AGES, right up to JERSEY BOYS which Clint Eastwood is in the process of producing as a film at this very moment..
    So it’s not confirmed. You’re just speculating at this point?

i just love when rumor is stated in fact. one might better say "the chances appear good" ...

Probably 5 years away from a movie release.

Gordy has already mentioned the eventual film version in print interviews... you folks crack me up sometimes.. go back to nit picking over who is singing on "Stoned Love"...lol

Chances are, a movie based on the Motown Musical will be made before the Faith Evans/Florence Ballard movie sees the light.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Chances are, a movie based on the Motown Musical will be made before the Faith Evans/Florence Ballard movie sees the light.
    Absolutely it will.

And Andantes on Stoned Love too.

Motown the musical, is the biggest hit on broadway

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    That's setting the bar really low. Michael Jackson is more likely to be reincarnated before the Flo movie gets made.

who cares about the Flo movie??...maybe a low rent DVD will emerge someday..
    but you can place very good money on MOTOWN: THE MOVIE!..coming your way, sooner than later..

The movie will be huge, just like the Broadway Musical which will go on forever and around the country forever.

thomas96 Guest
    And how much of that goes to BG's wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    And how much of that goes to BG's wallet?
    Most to Berry? Some to writers? Some to the producers of the show, the investors [[unless it was only Berry), some to the employees.

A little bit for the old time artists who pick up a few CD royalties and get a few gigs?

This is why you've seen resentment on here toward Berry and the show. Basically, "them that's got continue to get, them that's not shall lose". Wonder if Diana and Rhonda are investors; after all it's her story.