[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Article - GOLDMINE Magazine.

the best part is when she talks about the songs on her new CD

http://www.goldminemag.com/features/...-supremes-50th

Categorized | Features
    Mary Wilson shares ‘Reflections’ of The Supremes’ 50th
    Posted on 27 October 2010. Tags: F.A.M.E., Ian Wright, Mary Wilson, supremes

A PAINTING OF THE SUPREMES is visible in the reflection in this photo of Mary Wilson, who was the only constant member of the group. Photo by Ian Wright
    By Ian Wright and Lauren Wright

2010 marks my 50th anniversary photographing and interviewing virtually every major celebrity, political figure and royal in the world. Over the span of years, I’ve learnt many lessons about the right way to deal with the rich and famous. First and foremost — “Never be in awe of them.” For some inexplicable reason, celebrities are far more comfortable if you treat them like an ordinary person. Give them the slightest sense that you’re in awe and you will completely lose control of the interview or photo shoot. My first experience with a diva was when I was only 16, photographing Ella Fitzgerald. After cooling my heels backstage for what seemed an eternity, I was finally ushered into the presence. Miss Fitzgerald, snapped imperiously. “You have one minute to take one picture.” I felt like an annoying mosquito buzzing about her person. I reminded my wife, Lauren, of this as we drove to interview Mary Wilson about her latest CD and the 50th anniversary of The Supremes. You see, Lauren grew up in Detroit in the 1960s, idolizing

The Supremes and Miss Wilson in particular. Of all the countless famous people we’ve encountered, Lauren has retained her equanimity and remained nonplussed, always maintaining she stands in awe of only three people: The Queen, Barbra Streisand and Mary Wilson.

With this fact in mind, it was with some trepidation that I rang the doorbell of Mary Wilson’s large but elegantly understated house overlooking a private golf course near Las Vegas.

Lauren sniffed, “This is a far cry from the Brewster Projects where Mary grew up in Detroit, but I was expecting something more spectacular.”

I asked, “Were you expecting sequined walls?”

We were ushered through an entry hall where stacks of matching suitcases stood against a wall sagging under the weight of framed gold records. I wondered if Miss Wilson had just returned from a trip or is just about to leave. Past a staircase curving into the upper distance, we were seated in the comfortable dark walled living room where we waited for an hour — ample time to take in the enormous ethereal painting of The Supremes over the mantelpiece, another large unframed canvas of Diana Ross propped against the black lacquered grand piano, a vast gilt framed mirror and more suitcases. Lauren had a sort of Alice-through-the-looking-glass look in her eyes, much the same as worshipers I’d once photographed at a shrine in India — I began to worry!

Mary Wilson's Supremes painting
    Also, I was getting a bit miffed at being kept waiting, remembering the last time a subject kept me waiting so long; Jimmy Carter’s national security advisor, Zbigniew Brzeziński, said his official portraits made him look like the commandant at a concentration camp so the White House invited me to take Brzezinski’s portrait for the Sunday Times of London. Brzezinski, arrived an hour late,

“Oh, f**k, I hope this isn’t going to take too long, I’ve got a speech to make on Capitol Hill in ten minutes.” he barked.

During that period, The Sunday Times was considered the best newspaper in the world, and even the Queen never kept the Times waiting. I bristled, “Do you realize I have just flown from London at your invitation?”

Knowing it was impossible to take a decent portrait of a man like Brzezinski in 10 minutes, I told my lighting crew, “Right, lads, break down all the lights — pack everything in the boxes, I think Mr. Brzezinski is going to be 10 minutes early for his speech.” I admit to being just that little bit worried when returning to the Time’s New York office without the pictures of Brzezinski, but bureau chief Bob Ducas — ever a gentleman, said, “You did quite right. Who do these buggers think they are?”

VN:F [1.9.4_1102]
    Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes)Share and Enjoy: Read more: 1 2 3Related posts:

1.The Supremes in Britain by Dave Thompson — Celebrating 50 years of The Supremes...
    2.The last Supremes Nine ladies, in all, would wind up being Supremes. And while everybody knows of Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, many others contributed to a story...
    3.The Temptations – Reflections Other than a late-70s detour on the Atlantic label that didn?t work out all that well from a commercial perspective, The Temptations were a Motown...
    4.Rare Frank Wilson 45 could fetch $100,000 Holy grails don’t get any holier than this, especially for Northern Soul acolytes. Going up for auction, starting March 14, is one of only two...
    5.Love: Beach Boys reunion tour with Wilson is unlikely Joint writing, recording projects have been discussed...
    4 Responses to “Mary Wilson shares ‘Reflections’ of The Supremes’ 50th”
    Tonyvaughn says:
    October 27, 2010 at 8:08 pm
    The article is great, but having spent time with Mary over a 30-year period, I have not found her to be self-centered or humorless.

VA:F [1.9.4_1102]
    Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes) Tom says:
    October 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm
    She is a legend in her own mind. I appreciate that the author was not deterred or overrun or distracted by her obvious self-promotion and continuous reinvention of past years. There is no shame to her game.

Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes) Edwin Tucker says:
    October 29, 2010 at 12:11 am
    I have been to many of Ms Wilson concerts and backstage with her. And she has always been real and down to earth, not this person you have painted.She has not forgotten her roots and where she comes from.This woman was told, she could not sing.Well singing all her life has paid off,she has become a real soul singing sister. Keep up the good work Ms Wilson and get your new CD OUT THE WORLD IS READY…Peace

Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes) glenn says:
    October 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm
    enjoyed the story then the real Mary wilson as to have a gripe at D ana ross its the same OLD SONG she needs to get over it

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Categorized | Features
    Mary Wilson shares ‘Reflections’ of The Supremes’ 50th
    Posted on 27 October 2010. Tags: F.A.M.E., Ian Wright, Mary Wilson, supremes

A PAINTING OF THE SUPREMES is visible in the reflection in this photo of Mary Wilson, who was the only constant member of the group. Photo by Ian Wright
    By Ian Wright and Lauren Wright

2010 marks my 50th anniversary photographing and interviewing virtually every major celebrity, political figure and royal in the world. Over the span of years, I’ve learnt many lessons about the right way to deal with the rich and famous. First and foremost — “Never be in awe of them.” For some inexplicable reason, celebrities are far more comfortable if you treat them like an ordinary person. Give them the slightest sense that you’re in awe and you will completely lose control of the interview or photo shoot. My first experience with a diva was when I was only 16, photographing Ella Fitzgerald. After cooling my heels backstage for what seemed an eternity, I was finally ushered into the presence. Miss Fitzgerald, snapped imperiously. “You have one minute to take one picture.” I felt like an annoying mosquito buzzing about her person. I reminded my wife, Lauren, of this as we drove to interview Mary Wilson about her latest CD and the 50th anniversary of The Supremes. You see, Lauren grew up in Detroit in the 1960s, idolizing

The Supremes and Miss Wilson in particular. Of all the countless famous people we’ve encountered, Lauren has retained her equanimity and remained nonplussed, always maintaining she stands in awe of only three people: The Queen, Barbra Streisand and Mary Wilson.

With this fact in mind, it was with some trepidation that I rang the doorbell of Mary Wilson’s large but elegantly understated house overlooking a private golf course near Las Vegas.

Lauren sniffed, “This is a far cry from the Brewster Projects where Mary grew up in Detroit, but I was expecting something more spectacular.”

I asked, “Were you expecting sequined walls?”

We were ushered through an entry hall where stacks of matching suitcases stood against a wall sagging under the weight of framed gold records. I wondered if Miss Wilson had just returned from a trip or is just about to leave. Past a staircase curving into the upper distance, we were seated in the comfortable dark walled living room where we waited for an hour — ample time to take in the enormous ethereal painting of The Supremes over the mantelpiece, another large unframed canvas of Diana Ross propped against the black lacquered grand piano, a vast gilt framed mirror and more suitcases. Lauren had a sort of Alice-through-the-looking-glass look in her eyes, much the same as worshipers I’d once photographed at a shrine in India — I began to worry!

Mary Wilson's Supremes painting
    Also, I was getting a bit miffed at being kept waiting, remembering the last time a subject kept me waiting so long; Jimmy Carter’s national security advisor, Zbigniew Brzeziński, said his official portraits made him look like the commandant at a concentration camp so the White House invited me to take Brzezinski’s portrait for the Sunday Times of London. Brzezinski, arrived an hour late,

“Oh, f**k, I hope this isn’t going to take too long, I’ve got a speech to make on Capitol Hill in ten minutes.” he barked.

During that period, The Sunday Times was considered the best newspaper in the world, and even the Queen never kept the Times waiting. I bristled, “Do you realize I have just flown from London at your invitation?”

Knowing it was impossible to take a decent portrait of a man like Brzezinski in 10 minutes, I told my lighting crew, “Right, lads, break down all the lights — pack everything in the boxes, I think Mr. Brzezinski is going to be 10 minutes early for his speech.” I admit to being just that little bit worried when returning to the Time’s New York office without the pictures of Brzezinski, but bureau chief Bob Ducas — ever a gentleman, said, “You did quite right. Who do these buggers think they are?”

VN:F [1.9.4_1102]
    Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes)Share and Enjoy: Read more: 1 2 3Related posts:

1.The Supremes in Britain by Dave Thompson — Celebrating 50 years of The Supremes...
    2.The last Supremes Nine ladies, in all, would wind up being Supremes. And while everybody knows of Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, many others contributed to a story...
    3.The Temptations – Reflections Other than a late-70s detour on the Atlantic label that didn?t work out all that well from a commercial perspective, The Temptations were a Motown...
    4.Rare Frank Wilson 45 could fetch $100,000 Holy grails don’t get any holier than this, especially for Northern Soul acolytes. Going up for auction, starting March 14, is one of only two...
    5.Love: Beach Boys reunion tour with Wilson is unlikely Joint writing, recording projects have been discussed...
    4 Responses to “Mary Wilson shares ‘Reflections’ of The Supremes’ 50th”
    Tonyvaughn says:
    October 27, 2010 at 8:08 pm
    The article is great, but having spent time with Mary over a 30-year period, I have not found her to be self-centered or humorless.

Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes) Tom says:
    October 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm
    She is a legend in her own mind. I appreciate that the author was not deterred or overrun or distracted by her obvious self-promotion and continuous reinvention of past years. There is no shame to her game.

Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes) Edwin Tucker says:
    October 29, 2010 at 12:11 am
    I have been to many of Ms Wilson concerts and backstage with her. And she has always been real and down to earth, not this person you have painted.She has not forgotten her roots and where she comes from.This woman was told, she could not sing.Well singing all her life has paid off,she has become a real soul singing sister. Keep up the good work Ms Wilson and get your new CD OUT THE WORLD IS READY…Peace

Rating: 0 [[from 0 votes) glenn says:
    October 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm
    enjoyed the story then the real Mary wilson as to have a gripe at D ana ross its the same OLD SONG she needs to get over it

Jobeterob, that was certainly a strange article. This guy has photographed all sorts of celebrated people. Hmm. He manages to make Ella Fitzgerald sound like the monster Diana Ross who lives in you-know-who's pointed little head. Ella told the guy he one minute to shoot one picture. I love it!
    And what's up with Mary Wilson having a portrait of Diana Ross in her home? If I was as nutty as some... I'd believe she had some sort of obsession with the person who is her supposed nemesis or she's practicing Voodoo...using Diana's portrait to cast some spells. HeHeHeHaHaHa
    I kept waiting to read the part where Mary Wilson discussed songs on her new CD. I didn't see it. And whoever Tom is, he has a sense of humor much like my own. "...a legend in her own mind." Sounds about right.

I don't find it strange that Mary has a portrait of Diana in her home. Despite what has happened in the past, I would think these women still have some fondness for each other, and for what they achieved together

When Mary appeared on ET in the 90s, in her home were individual portraits an artist had done of herself, Flo, and Diana. Diana's portrait was taken from her 1985 Essence cover. I've also seen a 70s-era photo that had Mary posing in front of a painting of herself, Diana, and Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't find it strange that Mary has a portrait of Diana in her home. Despite what has happened in the past, I would think these women still have some fondness for each other, and for what they achieved together

When Mary appeared on ET in the 90s, in her home were individual portraits an artist had done of herself, Flo, and Diana. Diana's portrait was taken from her 1985 Essence cover. I've also seen a 70s-era photo that had Mary posing in front of a painting of herself, Diana, and Cindy.
    Ultimately, she can have portraits of whomever in her home. I did say I wondered what was up with it since they are supposedly estranged & feuding and IF I were GOOFY I'd think something weird might be going on. No one knows but those two what the nature of their relationship is or isn't, which is contrary to what we read on this forum.

topdiva1 Guest
    The lead into the interview was somewhat boring - and far to long - the interview itself was nothing at all - and his photo of Mary Wilson - who is a great beauty - was perfectly AWFUL - especially after all his self hype - many I havbetter e seen photos by fans that had much superior results. This guy is claiming to be a great photgrapher - hardly - and his interview skills suck. I wanted to know more about Mary Wilson as she is today - not his wife, Ella Fitzgerald, Ringo, Paul, The Beatles, or the Queen.

The large painting of Diana Ross and The Supremes has always been in Mary Wilson's home, I am told - it is part of her history - as is Diana - so why should she not have a picture of any of the ladies that she sang with displayed in her home.

Someone said VOODOO - I say let's not be so foolish - even though it is Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    The lead into the interview was somewhat boring - and far to long - the interview itself was nothing at all - and his photo of Mary Wilson - who is a great beauty - was perfectly AWFUL - especially after all his self hype - many I havbetter e seen photos by fans that had much superior results. This guy is claiming to be a great photgrapher - hardly - and his interview skills suck. I wanted to know more about Mary Wilson as she is today - not his wife, Ella Fitzgerald, Ringo, Paul, The Beatles, or the Queen.

The large painting of Diana Ross and The Supremes has always been in Mary Wilson's home, I am told - it is part of her history - as is Diana - so why should she not have a picture of any of the ladies that she sang with displayed in her home.

Someone said VOODOO - I say let's not be so foolish - even though it is Halloween!
    That interview was a missed opportunity and too short. The guy did not do a good job and as far as the photo, it looks like one that one of Mary's grandkids could have took.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Jobeterob, that was certainly a strange article. This guy has photographed all sorts of celebrated people. Hmm. He manages to make Ella Fitzgerald sound like the monster Diana Ross who lives in you-know-who's pointed little head. Ella told the guy he one minute to shoot one picture. I love it!
    And what's up with Mary Wilson having a portrait of Diana Ross in her home? If I was as nutty as some... I'd believe she had some sort of obsession with the person who is her supposed nemesis or she's practicing Voodoo...using Diana's portrait to cast some spells. HeHeHeHaHaHa
    I kept waiting to read the part where Mary Wilson discussed songs on her new CD. I didn't see it. And whoever Tom is, he has a sense of humor much like my own. "...a legend in her own mind." Sounds about right.
    You sound pretty bitter. How come?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You sound pretty bitter. How come?
    Gosh, I think I'll answer that when you reveal exactly what Diana Ross did to you to feed your intense hatred ofher. Did she have you ejected from a concert for taking pictures with a flash camera? Did she threaten to pistol whip you at the supermarket? Did she run over your dog, step on your shoes??
    The secret to your bitterness would be enlightening. Once you've come clean, maybe I might too.

Gosh, I think I'll answer that when you reveal exactly what Diana Ross did to you to feed your intense hatred ofher. Did she have you ejected from a concert for taking pictures with a flash camera? Did she threaten to pistol whip you at the supermarket? Did she run over your dog, step on your shoes??
    The secret to your bitterness would be enlightening. Once you've come clean, maybe I might too.
    I don't hate Diane. She's never ejected me from anywhere......I do not attend her concerts at all, anywhere. I heard this story that this guy called Rick B. made up and spreads around. I think he has me confused with someone else or he just made it up and you ate it up.

I don't hate Diane. She's never ejected me from anywhere......I do not attend her concerts at all, anywhere. I heard this story that this guy called Rick B. made up and spreads around. I think he has me confused with someone else or he just made it up and you ate it up.
    So you intensely hate someone you've never met, don't know anything about, someone who hasn't done anything to you. Psychiatrists have a definition for that.

So you intensely hate someone you've never met, don't know anything about, someone who hasn't done anything to you. Psychiatrists have a definition for that.
    Now who told you I have never met Diane? You have a definite problem to keep repeating the opposite what I just told you. I don't hate Diane and why would I discuss ANY interaction I've had with her on a public forum. Explain?

Now who told you I have never met Diane? You have a definite problem to keep repeating the opposite what I just told you. I don't hate Diane and why would I discuss ANY interaction I've had with her on a public forum. Explain?
    Hmm,So you admit she's'never done anything to you personally yet you intensely dislike her. That tells me all i need to know. I have no more to say, your honor. I rest my case. LOL

Hmm,So you admit she's'never done anything to you personally yet you intensely dislike her. That tells me all i need to know. I have no more to say, your honor. I rest my case. LOL
    ....and I care because? If making things up in your mind helps you get through your day, by all means go for it. I can't even figure out what you are talking about.

topdiva1 Guest
    Great point,and could be said to many here and worldwide.

You need to say the same thing to those that hate, Mary Wilson, Linda Laurenece, Tony Turner, etc etc etc. They all need to look at the person in the mirror.

Do not hate - simply debate!!

The problem here is that you don't seem able to discern the difference between disliking someone on a personal level, and disliking how someone has conducted their very public professional life, how they treat people who work for them and with them, etc. You CAN'T dislike someone on a personal level if you don't have a personal relationship with said person, but you can certainly dislike someone if you dissaprove of their public actions, and how thye've treated others, and decisions theyv'e made in their public lives and careers. Hell, 1/2 the country does that EVERY DAY with Barack Obama! So don't hand me that. and those type of criticizms are what Marv is talking about. How she's conducted her career and her public life, and PARTS of her private life that has been MADE public by others. And Rick Beuche spread alot of stuff around. I've heard stuff from his mouth that would make you soil your undies. Whether it's true or not, I would certainly not repeat it, and he shouldn't have, either. And if JILL FOSTER won't repeat it, you KNOW it's bad. i'll blab most anything.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 10-31-2010 at 05:41 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    The problem here is that you don't seem able to discern the difference between disliking someone on a personal level, and disliking how someone has conducted their very public professional life, how they treat people who work for them and with them, etc. You CAN'T dislike someone on a personal level if you don't have a personal relationship with said person, but you can certainly dislike someone if you dissaprove of their public actions, and how thye've treated others, and decisions theyv'e made in their public lives and careers. Hell, 1/2 the country does that EVERY DAY with Barack Obama! So don't hand me that. and those type of criticizms are what Marv is talking about. How she's conducted her career and her public life, and PARTS of her private life that has been MADE public by others. And Rick Beuche spread alot of stuff around. I've heard stuff from his mouth that would make you soil your undies. Whether it's true or not, I would certainly not repeat it, and he shouldn't have, either. And if JILL FOSTER won't repeat it, you KNOW it's bad. i'll blab most anything.

People simply hate people because it is fashionable - it you asked them for 10 concrete reasons - you might get 2.

Mary Wilson is a very interesting woman - and this interviewer did an interview with her that was a boring as watching paint dry. He told more about himself and his wife then about Mary Wilson.

It would also appear tha he was not too interested in Mary Wilson - Perhaps he should have let his wife do the interview.

THIS INTERFIEW AND THE PICTURED SUCKED BIG TIME.