[REMOVE ADS]

Can anyone tell me anything about Rumer?

I was listening to Elton John's Electric Proms concert last night, and one of the guests was a female singer named Rumer. I was blown away by her version of Leon Russel's 'This Masquerade", sort of a cross between Karen Carpender and Dusty Springfield. Got this month's Mojo this morning and there she is, in a very uninformative article. Very impressive singer of who I know nothing about except she's English and has a CD coming out Monday.

I don't know diddley about Rumer and had never heard of her until I read your post today but after listening to her I
    was compelled to look her up on the net to see what I could find. She has a beautiful voice, wonderful tone and great
    phrasing too. Usually I prefer harder music but I'd wager Rumer has a great career ahead of her and I think if she ever
    decided she wanted to sing jazz instead of pop she could make quite a few of the currently working singers on this side of the pond a bit nervous....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumer_[[musician)

listen to the clip in this link..

http://www.desihits.com/news/view/ru...-slow-20100713

spooky. i thought it was a Carpenters outtake.

Yea, I hear the Karen Carpenter similarity but I actually think Rumer can have a wider, larger appeal...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Yea, I hear the Karen Carpenter similarity but I actually think Rumer can have a wider, larger appeal...
    Wider and larger appeal than Karen Carpenter? Probably not...

Her complete name is Sarah Rumer Joyce and she can atually sing!!

If you want to hear chills and the ghost of Karen Carpenter, then this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAI9oBWuE4I

marx, I was thinking about beyond "pop music". With the exception of Bacharach's Close To You which became a standard
    Karen didn't make that big of an impression outside of her core audience as great as a singer she was. She didn't live
    long enough to show us what else she could do or how far she could go...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    marx, I was thinking about beyond "pop music". With the exception of Bacharach's Close To You which became a standard
    Karen didn't make that big of an impression outside of her core audience as great as a singer she was. She didn't live
    long enough to show us what else she could do or how far she could go...
    But Karen is a legend, she had a one of a kind voice. But I've been a fan since I was a kid. Such memories attached to the music of The Carpenters!

Rumer had a Top 3 million-selling album in the UK with her 2010 album "Seasons Of My Soul". It's a great pop album and worth checking out.

She's been around the UK scene ever since.

Her 2016 album of Bacharach songs includes my favourite version of "One Less Bell To Answer". In that album there are tracks that focus on the purity of her voice and there are tracks that bring out the similarities with Karen Carpenter. She even persuaded Burt Bacharach to sing on her version of "This Girl's In Love With You".

What I can say is that Rumer is no Karen Carpenter clone. She's her own singer and has a habit of finding almost-forgotten songs and giving them a new lease of life.

One such song is "We Will", which she recorded for her 2012 album "Boys Don't Cry". "We Will" is an old Gilbert O'Sullivan song that was a UK Top 20 hit for him in 1971 but which had been long forgotten because of hits such as "Clair", "Get Down" and "Alone Again [[Naturally)". Hearing that song for the first time in years, and hearing it sung by Rumer was sooo comforting and reassuring.

Rumer now has a new album out called "Nashville Tears [[The Songs Of Hugh Prestwood)" and I suspect that I'll be buying it soon.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 10-20-2020 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Rumer had a Top 3 million-selling album in the UK with her 2010 album "Seasons Of My Soul". It's a great pop album and worth checking out.

She's been around the UK scene ever since.

Her 2016 album of Bacharach songs includes my favourite version of "One Less Bell To Answer". In that album there are tracks that focus on the purity of her voice and there are tracks that bring out the similarities with Karen Carpenter. She even persuaded Burt Bacharach to sing on her version of "This Girl's In Love With You".

What I can say is that Rumer is no Karen Carpenter clone. She's her own singer and has a habit of finding almost-forgotten songs and giving them a new lease of life.

One such song is "We Will", which she recorded for her 2012 album "Boys Don't Cry". "We Will" is an old Gilbert O'Sullivan song that was a UK Top 20 hit for him in 1971 but which had been long forgotten because of hits such as "Clair", "Get Down" and "Alone Again [[Naturally)". Hearing that song for the first time in years, and hearing it sung by Rumer was sooo comforting and reassuring.

Rumer now has a new album out called "Nashville Tears [[The Songs Of Hugh Prestwood)" and I suspect that I'll be buying it soon.
    I am a big fan of Rumer too. You have summed up her career very well there.
    Her voice is as pure as the driven snow. I have all her albums with the exception of the new one which by all accounts is another high quality collection of songs. She deserves to be a big star in the USA, but i am not sure she has the desire or work ethic to crack the American market. She seems content to just do her own thing at her own pace. I applaud her for staying true to herself, but such an oustanding talent deserves to be exposed to a wider audience.
    Anyone on here looking for a traditional voice with all the values of a bygone era could do much worse than check out Rumer. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I think Rumer is one of the top female vocalists we have in the world today. She has a clear, pleasant voice with a broad and interesting repertoire. I have enjoyed every one of her releases. I wish more people here in America could get to know her music.