[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    supremester Guest
    LOL......exactly, plus there are, for me, intolerable lyrics [[the tree & commode........ugh) I just don't see it as a bouncy song. I do hear Mary & Cindy on it - I forget how high Mary's range was quite impressive. I don't know who sequenced this album - maybe Frank? I'd have saved Mirror for Touch. Also, I'm over thinking this: I actually recall playing NWBLS and enjoying the bounce of Mirror - even if I did cringe a bit, it prepared me for the title tune from Ross' newest that followed a few weeks later.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I’m not sure I would call “I Wish I Were Your Mirror” a “silly” song. Going by the lyrics and story told, it’s a stalker song from a point of view of a stalker with a serious case of low self esteem. I guess what makes the song “silly” is that the way the song is sung, arranged and produced, it’s being sold as some sort of piece of romanticism , rather than a case study in warped mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    LOL......exactly, plus there are, for me, intolerable lyrics [[the tree & commode........ugh) I just don't see it as a bouncy song. I do hear Mary & Cindy on it - I forget how high Mary's range was quite impressive. I don't know who sequenced this album - maybe Frank? I'd have saved Mirror for Touch. Also, I'm over thinking this: I actually recall playing NWBLS and enjoying the bounce of Mirror - even if I did cringe a bit, it prepared me for the title tune from Ross' newest that followed a few weeks later.
    The commode??? Where does that come in...or is this just a joke...?

I like the song. The lyrics are a little silly, yes, but it's well sung and different.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    The commode??? Where does that come in...or is this just a joke...?

I like the song. The lyrics are a little silly, yes, but it's well sung and different.
    Mary and Cindy really worked the lyrics on all the songs on this album they deserve plenty of credit for polishing some fine vocals behind Jean Terrell in fact Jean sounds better with Mary and Cindy than she ever did with the Andantes. Also It Time To Break Down was sampled by Gangsta Starr in 1998 with a tune called JFK to Lax by Gangsta Starr from the Moment of Truth album so the rappers have picked up on this stellar tune and it certainly would have done well on the r&b chartswww.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pIiRWJZnw‎ and for the record if I wish I were your mirror was not put on
    a four tops still waters album, the Supremes version would have made the top twenty if released right behind stoned love, is what i was told
    by a NY FM disc jockey recently.

Fran, I agree. Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong were excellent on this album and almost carried the song "I Wish I Were Your Mirror". I liked the Tops version too. Jean Terrell has been sampled often by Hip Hop artists. I remember "JFK to LAX" by Gangsta Starr in the 90's:

the lyrics are heavy by gangsta, and Jean Terrell worked into the mix. Berry Gordy would have had a fit if this song It time to Break down was sampled in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I’m not sure I would call “I Wish I Were Your Mirror” a “silly” song. Going by the lyrics and story told, it’s a stalker song from a point of view of a stalker with a serious case of low self esteem. I guess what makes the song “silly” is that the way the song is sung, arranged and produced, it’s being sold as some sort of piece of romanticism , rather than a case study in warped mental health.
    I don't see the stalker angle- to me, the vocalist appears to be a shy person who is very visible to the person she has a crush on [[makes sure that he sees her every day, he smiles and gives a quick hello) but who pays her no further attention. He has no interest in her at the level that she would like. And so she fantasizes about objects , part of his everyday life that touch his person or that he touches, that are closer to him than she'll ever be.
    Does anyone else see it in this fashion?

Whenever I hear the beginning of 'I Wish I Were Your Mirror' that bounces "Look at me" from left to right to left speaker and then brings Jean in dead center with the echoy ''Here I am'' , I wonder if Frank Wilson was either consciously or subconsciously updating/paralleling the technique he used for 'Heigh- Ho' from the Disney sessions. ''Oh Mary, oh Cindy... isn't that Diane?" If a stereo version of "Heigh-Ho'' were released, we might have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I don't see the stalker angle- to me, the vocalist appears to be a shy person who is very visible to the person she has a crush on [[makes sure that he sees her every day, he smiles and gives a quick hello) but who pays her no further attention. He has no interest in her at the level that she would like. And so she fantasizes about objects , part of his everyday life that touch his person or that he touches, that are closer to him than she'll ever be.
    Does anyone else see it in this fashion?
    Yes, absolutely. Very well expressed.

Yikes!
    12" vinyl single--UK, 1991:

Attachment 7502

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Yikes!
    12" vinyl single--UK, 1991:

Attachment 7502
    Nice photo methuselah. Thank you for sharing. Linda Lawrence sure is one beautiful woman. She may be the prettiest Supreme IMO and thats saying something cause Mary and Diane are real real pretty as is Barbara Martin.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Nice photo methuselah. Thank you for sharing. Linda Lawrence sure is one beautiful woman. She may be the prettiest Supreme IMO and thats saying something cause Mary and Diane are real real pretty as is Barbara Martin.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta
    An attempt to duplicate the original, i never heard the songs or song from this collection except Love Child.. Nothing like the original New Ways But Love Stays Forever...

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    An attempt to duplicate the original, i never heard the songs or song from this collection except Love Child.. Nothing like the original New Ways But Love Stays Forever...
    Their attempt at duplicating this album cover was funny, but it was hilarious when they tried duplicating the "Floy Joy" cover using Freddi Poole! LOL!

What's also weird is the title of the album. "Hit and Miss?" Who would want to point out the songs or singles which were duds? I don't get it.

What's also weird is the title of the album. "Hit and Miss?" Who would want to point out the songs or singles which were duds? I don't get it.
    They didn't give much thought to the design or titling of this album. There was NO creativity involved as far as I can tell. They simply copied someone else's work from 1970.

It's not an album. It's just a 12-inch single for the recording HIT & MISS on the Motorcity label.

For some other Motorcity releases, other classic Motown album covers, like those for MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES, and THE MARVELETTES [[pink album) were copied.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It's not an album. It's just a 12-inch single for the recording HIT & MISS on the Motorcity label.

For some other Motorcity releases, other classic Motown album covers, like those for MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES, and THE MARVELETTES [[pink album) were copied.
    Ahh...that makes sense then.

I do like the 'Marvelettes Now!' cover..think it was a clever update on the "Pink Album."

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

For some of their other releases, Motorcity copied other classic Motown album coverss, like those for MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES, and THE MARVELETTES [[pink album).
    Ever see the one where they used the painting from the Supremes Greatest Hits, the 1967 blue cover? They did a crude, similar painting with the heads of Lynda, Scherrie and Sundray on the bodies, LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ever see the one where they used the painting from the Supremes Greatest Hits, the 1967 blue cover? They did a crude, similar painting with the heads of Lynda, Scherrie and Sundray on the bodies, LOL!!!!
    Hi Marv:
    One would think they could be a bit more creative in their marketing plan. They seem seem to have a history not being all that original. Do they sstill own the trademarkof the Supremes name overseas?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv:
    One would think they could be a bit more creative in their marketing plan. They seem seem to have a history not being all that original. Do they sstill own the trademarkof the Supremes name overseas?
    Thanks in advance.
    You would think huh? Do they still own the trademark on the name Supremes overseas? I don't have a clue. I haven't talked to Scherrie in a very long time.......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You would think huh? Do they still own the trademark on the name Supremes overseas? I don't have a clue. I haven't talked to Scherrie in a very long time.......
    Really? I hope you and sherrie Payne didnt have a falling out over Sherrie doing RTL?

I liked NEW WAYS lp, cover and all, but,... Come Together, but I have never liked it no matter who sings it although it does have a good groove. I would have replaced it with MAY HIS LOVE SHINE ON FOREVER...possibly. I also think TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC would have been a nice follow up but then the Spinners got the single version in early 71. thought the supremes sounded great on this album.

This was the first Jean-Supremes LP I bought and 43 years later I still love it. Jean's magnificent vocals coupled with Frank Wilson's impeccable production/writing made this a very special album. I remember having a girlfriend over [[that's girl-friend of course!) and I played it over and over again. Years later my ex-partner of 26 years and I had a long debate about where 'Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music' ended and 'Stoned Love' began. I eventually got him to agree that the switch happened at 03:40 - as all dedicated Supremes fanatics know! When I first heard this project I truly fell in love with Jean's vocal and her style of interpretation. Phenominal. A few days later I bought 'Right On' and then bought each album as an import from America because I couldn't wait the extra months to pass by before I could buy the UK Tamla-Motown released pressing. Oh happy daze!!! Steve.x
    Last edited by ivyfield; 01-03-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Jean would absolutely FREAK OUT if she heard this mix. Why oh why do they have to put profanity in rap? I just don't get it. The Jean sample is the best thing about this track.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    Jean would absolutely FREAK OUT if she heard this mix. Why oh why do they have to put profanity in rap? I just don't get it. The Jean sample is the best thing about this track.

I agree Jean reprise over and over is ultra fab, I guess rap has to be illuminated to make sense to these young folks nowadays. I wonder if Motown got paid for this or did The Supremes for the sampling of Its Time to Break Down a fabulous track that shold gotten a b side at the least.