[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Ways But Love Stays. 43 years ago.

The best thing about that gem of an album at least to me was the opening Track with Jean Terrell's lead vocal who kicked the door to the listeners that said here I am I am the new Lead supreme like or not. Together We can make such sweet music was fabulous catchy and spunky, with a touch of pop and rock rhythms., and Mary and Cindy were backing up Jean with fabulous interlude vocals unheard before it weaves intrumentally unbroken into their biggest post Ross hit: Stoned Love" oh that album was fabulous. I remember coming home from work and my lover had the album for me on my bed i picked it up and was in heaven when i heard that first track. and what come after a surprise after surprise. The album cover was a little over done with its pink cover and little roudn photos taking away from the center pic with the afros.r A few weeks later Stoned Love was on the radio, and of course i ran off to buy the single which was shorter thant the 4 minute album version i already had The Supremes were really cooking in the fall of 1970 then came River Deep on the Magnificent 7 album.

That entire album was good from beginning to end. It was very enjoyable and definitely pop/soul.

It was quite a departure from the rather ordinary "Right On," which, although it had a great lead off single and some other good tracks, was strictly in the traditional Motown vein. Also, with some songs like "It's Time to Break Down" with the fabulous guitar break in the middle, "Come Together," and "Shine On Me," lots of rock influence on this LP. They used to say every artist had a "Sergeant Pepper" album somewhere in its catalog, and I think for the Sups, it was this one. Always loved the album, and I agree with franjoy, Jean really owned the LP.

OK, 'fess up: Who stuck their face through that album cover for friends--besides me?

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    OK, 'fess up: Who stuck their face through that album cover for friends--besides me?
    I'm shocked! How disrespectful! LOL

definitely a great lp. i would make a couple minor changes to the line up. too many covers and i feel 'Na Na Hey Hey' would have fit better on Right On. the overall theme of NWBLS is such a great message of peace, humanity, love, etc.

i do agree the front cover was a mistake however i question the long-standing theory that the lp was to be named Stoned Love. both single and lp were released at nearly the same time. there wasn't time for the controversy and hype about the single to take place. not to mention the lead time required for printing, die-cutting and manufacturing a gatefold lp cover. the art and title had to be signed off well in advance of release.

i do think it would have been better to just name it Stone Love [[which the correct spelling too - the girls say Stone not Stoned) and fro shot as the sole cover pic.

I'm still surprised that with the success of the single "Stoned Love", there wasn't another single released from the LP. The LP itself, even with a #1 R&B single, fared worse on the charts than "Right On". Perhaps the release of another single would have pushed the LP further up the charts? This had to have been one of the only releases by the Supremes [[sans specialty or "live" albums) to have only one single.

And re: the controversy of "Stoned Love" and drug use: did anyone SERIOUSLY think the bewigged and besequinned Supremes were REALLY talking about drugs? The Ikettes, maybe. But the Supremes? C'mon.

Until reading the posts by Meth2 and Sup_fan, it hadn't really registered with me that, here in the UK, we didn't have a gatefold cover for 'New Ways But Love Stays'.

Apart from that, I'm assuming the cover was the same in all other respects.

To me, this was the closest the Supremes got to having a concept album. I think if a few songs were switched out, the album cover featured Mary, Cindy and Jean in their Afros & black turtlenecks only and the album was titled "Stoned Love" that it could have done much better. I actually think "The Loving Country" would have been more appropriate on the album than tracks like "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye."

"Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" should have been the second single with "Shine On Me" or "It's Time To Break Down" as a possible third single.

As Mary said this lp should have put them back into top form. With a huge hit single it charted very poorly. There was confusion with the cover having that ridiculous title. Also, the 4 Tops duets were released at the same time and it was overkill.

It wouldn't have mattered if the album was called Stone Love or not. All one had to do was look on the backside of the album for the album tracks. People are not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    To me, this was the closest the Supremes got to having a concept album. I think if a few songs were switched out, the album cover featured Mary, Cindy and Jean in their Afros & black turtlenecks only and the album was titled "Stoned Love" that it could have done much better. I actually think "The Loving Country" would have been more appropriate on the album than tracks like "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye."

"Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" should have been the second single with "Shine On Me" or "It's Time To Break Down" as a possible third single.
    This is one of my favorite albums by the Supremes.The on ly song that don't really move me is "Come Together" funny I liked it when I was younger but now not to fond of it. All in all great effort by JMC

Interesting album review by Flashbackcaruso:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/2099/

I can remember we got this album during Christmas 1970. It was plain good music and they all looked so very fine on the album cover. I know we never analyzed it this deeply. LOL! Great memories are what I have of it.

I guess by being a kid at the time, I found nothing wrong with the cover at all:

I agree about Come Together, it just didn't fit. I think Frank was trying to expand the group into the pop/rock market as he did with the brilliant 4 Tops Still Waters lp. The concept of NWBLS was quite similar to SWRD. Clay McMurray produced Is There A Place. Time To Breakdown seemed to be a followup to Everybodys's Got The Right To Love. Their version of Bridge Over Troubled Water was truly breathtaking

It was criminal that Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music was not mixed and issued as a single.

smark21 Guest
    The first 4 songs and the last 2 songs really made for an outstanding album. To me, Is There a Place is the song that sticks out like a sore thumb. Loving Country would have fit in better. But oh well. Still one of my favorite Supremes albums. I really like the Rock/Soul vibe of the album.

I thought the album was put together well even with the photographs. If another song was going to be pulled I would have picked "Shine On Me". I remember starring at this LP for hours and thinking how beautiful Cindy Birdsong was. This is the album that I finally accepted Cindy as Flo replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I thought the album was put together well even with the photographs. If another song was going to be pulled I would have picked "Shine On Me". I remember starring at this LP for hours and thinking how beautiful Cindy Birdsong was. This is the album that I finally accepted Cindy as Flo replacement.
    I am thrilled that you guys loved the album and no negative comments came on here except for maybe one, regarding the album tracks but that was minor and ignorable. the other great thing about this album is that the Andantes are nowhere near this project, and Mary and Cindy are put to work with background and lead vocal [[bridge over troubled water) and it was the first time they participated in an album project from start to finish.
    Yes their should have been a second single immediately after stoned love did so well it should have done better. I though Twcmssm was going to be the lead off single until I heard Stoned Love on the radio a week or two later. GREAT ALBUM

As a matter of fact that album should have three singles Together we can make such sweet music, Stoned Love, Its Time to Break Down or I Wish I were your Mirror [[although the 4 tops put on their Still Waters album) or Shine on Me [[not a b-side) those girls really hit the vocals througout.

I loved everything about The Supremes New Ways But Love Stays,i just wish Motown had pushed it,i also remember,when The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean came to Chicago's Palmar House,in they're live show,Jean sang Bridge Over Trouble Water,as a solo number,there was no Mary and Cindy on stage,i must say,Jean sound great.the whole show,was GREAT.Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I loved everything about The Supremes New Ways But Love Stays,i just wish Motown had pushed it,i also remember,when The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean came to Chicago's Palmar House,in they're live show,Jean sang Bridge Over Trouble Water,as a solo number,there was no Mary and Cindy on stage,i must say,Jean sound great.the whole show,was GREAT.Please stay positive
    Redhot
    Was the arrangement the same as the album when Jean performed Bridge Over Troubled Water? I always and still do love Is There A Place In His Heart For Me. I used to play from time to time in my spin class as a cool down song. In fact I like the Supremes version better than Gladys & The Pips.

supremester Guest
    This was an exciting time. JMC were doing well with their 2 singles and Miss Ross was on fire with a huge #1 smash. Both acts had launched very well with their debut albums both charting higher than the previous DR&TS studio LP. I loved side 1 of Right On so, so much and had the poster on my door next to the "Together " LP poster with the Billboard ad for Reach Out & Touch above them. Stoned Love came out and it had the LP title on the single and I loved it - still do. I loved the meaning that although the group had changed, the feeling was still there - as I wanted it to be. I liked the entire album enough to play it straight through. I was picky then just like I am now, and I had gripes about this, Ross' LP and Right On........tracks I liked but had small issues with : TWCMSSM, I wish I Were Your Mirror, Come Together and Shine On Me - but still, it was a great effort. I LOVED the title. LOVED LOVED LOVED it and I don't believe one whit about it hurting sales. People weren't idiots - you want The New Supremes album - look in their bin,.,.,.,.geesh....I loved the cover except for that awful glam shots with red & maize outfits. I think the cover fit the title nicely, however, agree that the afro look should have been the only look. Either way, it was light years more inventive than the Miss Ross hand-me-downs cover of Right On. It had a red, white and pink sticker that read "Includes the smash "STONED LOVE" There was no way not to find the Stoned Love album.

I think it was poorly planned not to have a second single on it - like Ross' early albums - way too little thought was put into marketing. IMO, there wasn't another hit on NWBLS, I still would have released an edited Its Time To Break Down or........gulp.....I Wish I were Your Mirror. I do not think TWCMSSM was a hit signle - although I live with someone who does.
    I was shocked when the album didn't do well. I was certain it would fare better than Right On. It's BS to suggest it wasn't marketed: there were trade ads, in-store posters, radio stations playing the long version and some the LP version, and occasionally TWCMSSM leading into Stoned Love. Eventually I realized that while this was a lovely departure for The Supremes and a great effort - there were lots of albums by other artists with the same style without some of the flubs. I do think the cover hurt sales some - but not the title. Personally, I'd have held back the album until Nasthan Jones was finished, dumped Is There A Place In His Heart and resequenced the LP with Nathan leading I Wish I Were Your Mirror somewhere on Side 2.
    Motown screwed up Ross' second LP also. JMC were lucky to get one single - Ross didn't get any.

The topic is about,The Supremes album New Ways But Love Stays,and i knew this person,would find a way,to bring some other artist,in to the picture,no matter what,No Rodrick,the arrangement was way different from the album,Jean alway got a standing ovation,Jean Terrell was AMAZING,as Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong were,Please stay positive

supremester Guest
    Don't react........ don't get caught up in a chain re-ac-tion...... you get a medal when you're............

i do wish the girls had done more in their concerts to promote the entire lp and utilize more of the tracks from the lp - singles or not. imagine if they had done a soft spot in the show. MJC on stools or somethign simple. an accoustic 3-part version of Bridge? Thank him for Today would be a great encore number - get everyone up and clapping. they really could have done more to promote their album concepts

also as for the packaging and cover, i don't know that it wasn't that people couldn't find the lp. it's more that it looked outdated. to a teen or college kid, it might not have really looked all that cool. i think the poor chart position was mostly from that, not that it wasn't promoted. my theory is that this was the first step in a series of missteps for the group. they were singing about peace love and humanity with songs like Ladder, Stoned and Everybody's. their new sound really clicked with the times and feeling. but then to see them on tv or an lp cover still wearing the Butterfly Gowns, or glittering pant suits, didn't fit. the fans were getting older and while it was ok during the DRATS years, even then it was a bit much. and while it would have been too much for them to go too far into a black pride look, they should have done more to update their image.

as sales from lps started to slip, and songs only reach the top 20, motown might have thought, well we got another year or two from the group. but times are changing and it doesn't seem to work as well now. part of a never ending circle - less general public interest, less sales, less promotional support, etc. then the in-fighting started and that about did them in

supremester Guest
    They came to Eugene [[90 min south of me) in Nov '70 but, at 14, I wasn't allowed to go alone. They probably did do some of the material in their full concerts. 43 years. I cannot believe it - that album seems "new" to me. Plus, by now, River Deep was out as well as Everything Is Everything. Go back one more year and DR&TS were launching Someday and probably only had "Together" on the LP chart. A year later and both acts had established themselves in a big way and moved on. I'm feeling ancient right now, but it was a good time.

getting my threads confused lol. added a New Ways comment in the 70s Sup & Andantes chat.

i do think this lp was great. but a few changes wouldn't hurt it

Bridge is wonderful but a bit overproduced with the giant orchestration and all the sound effects. could have been very effective done very simply, elegant 3part harmonies and all. Mirror isn't my favorite. i think Shine On Me could have been an A side single, maybe. Together and Time to Break down DEFINITELY should have been singles.

There is no perfect album, my vote for the closest to perfect was Marvin's What's Going On.

I do think NWBLS was a strong offering that should have been released in conjuction with or just after the Stoned Love single was issued. I think what hurt the album was the overkill of Supremes lps in a short period of time: Greatest Hits Vol. 3, Farewell, Right On, NWBLS and thrown in was the Four Tops duets, a debut lp I felt was ill-conceived. Nothing but covers of other people's songs. It sounded hastily done and while I agree that Jean and Levi sounded great together, the first lp should have come in the spring of 71 before Touch was issued.

The album was promoted, but not like previous Supremes lps were promoted. It was as if Motown said, ok, we got you two hit singles and a best selling lp now let's see what the Supremes can do on their own. FM did play some lp cuts but Motown was pushing Diana and the J5 at a fever pitch and the Supremes were quickly falling to B-level status. Touch was the biggest disappointment. The cover shot was lovely, but again, those bright colors sort of detracted from the beauty and elegance that the three lovelies displayed. Touch was an lp that grew on me. At first listen I wasn't so impressed. But it grew on me. Jean Terrell was incredible on This Is The Story, Here Comes The Sunrise, It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    There is no perfect album, my vote for the closest to perfect was Marvin's What's Going On.
    Actually, I feel there IS a perfect album, and that is the Moody Blues "Days Of Future Passed"... and many feel that way about "Dark Side Of The Moon" by Pink Floyd. In my book, New Ways is right there in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Actually, I feel there IS a perfect album, and that is the Moody Blues "Days Of Future Passed"... and many feel that way about "Dark Side Of The Moon" by Pink Floyd. In my book, New Ways is right there in the top 10.
    "New Ways, But Love Stays" does rank high up on Motown's greatest albums list. "It's Time to Breakdown" was way ahead of it's time. The Supremes had substantially matured in their approach by the time of this stellar set.

I always felt the rock edge of certain songs was a positive move. This album had the potential to put them in a new direction. Most disagree, but I didn't care when they sang songs like TCB. I know Mary said the old hits were important but I really liked the new material. The old hits to me was been there done that. Although JMC did a great on them.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I always felt the rock edge of certain songs was a positive move. This album had the potential to put them in a new direction. Most disagree, but I didn't care when they sang songs like TCB. I know Mary said the old hits were important but I really liked the new material. The old hits to me was been there done that. Although JMC did a great on them.
    I agree. I much more preferred Mary, Jean and Cindy singing and performing their then current hits over the 60's songs. This album was groundbreaking for them as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I agree. I much more preferred Mary, Jean and Cindy singing and performing their then current hits over the 60's songs. This album was groundbreaking for them as a group.
    The album was so influential to the new generation of rap artist as well
    A song called JFK to Lax by Gangsta Rap sampled the Supremes "It's Time To Break Down" with a 5 minute sample of Jean's voice in the opening oh oh yea. very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    From Mary's book, and Jean's delivery on them, Jean didn't seem to like performing the old Diane-led hits. Their 60s hit medley on the Live in Japan album is just awful; Jean positively throws away the lyrics on songs like Stop!, and performs in an odd, warbling cadence. I suppose they felt they had to include the 60s hits in their shows, but I doubt that anyone who grew up hearing Diane sing them really enjoyed hearing them by others. As much as I loved Jean's voice, I felt she showed no interest in adding her own take to the earlier hits, and to me it showed.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    From Mary's book, and Jean's delivery on them, Jean didn't seem to like performing the old Diane-led hits. Their 60s hit medley on the Live in Japan album is just awful; Jean positively throws away the lyrics on songs like Stop!, and performs in an odd, warbling cadence. I suppose they felt they had to include the 60s hits in their shows, but I doubt that anyone who grew up hearing Diane sing them really enjoyed hearing them by others. As much as I loved Jean's voice, I felt she showed no interest in adding her own take to the earlier hits, and to me it showed.
    You have to admit, she did do a great job on "My World Is Empty Without You". The rest of them [[60's hits) were just too bubblegum, simple and non-challenging for an artist of Jean's caliber........

The rest of them [[60's hits) were just too bubblegum, simple and non-challenging for an artist of Jean's caliber........
    lol but she had no problem singing the bubblegum Automatically Sunshine which im sure was a real big challenge for an artist of her caliber lol.

LOL atcha Roberta,i really like Jean singing the 60s medley,and i think The Supremes Live In Japan,is one of The Supremes BEST live albums ever,Mary Cindy and Jean sounds so sexy,on It's Time To Break Down,i just love Together We Can Make Sweet Music,Is There A Place,Shine On Me,Thank Him For Today,I Wish I Were Your Mirror,i even like Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye,and Come Together.Please stay positive

LOL atcha Roberta,i really like Jean singing the 60s medley,and i think The Supremes Live In Japan,is one of The Supremes BEST live albums ever,Mary Cindy and Jean sounds so sexy,on It's Time To Break Down,i just love Together We Can Make Sweet Music,Is There A Place,Shine On Me,Thank Him For Today,I Wish I Were Your Mirror,i even like Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye,and Come Together.Please stay positive
    And Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye isnt bubblegum lol. Now that must have been a real big challenge for a artist of Jeans caliber.

Have a blessed weekend dear Redhot.

Roberta

Wasn't that Lynda on the Live in Japan album?

yes,what's your point? THE SUPREMES LIVE IN JAPAN,STARRING MARY WILSON JEAN TERRELL and Lynda Laurence lol

supremester Guest
    I don't find a lot of what JMC any more complex or deep than some of DR&TS' stuff. Stoned Love is a great track but hardly complex musically and the bg's are very simplistic. It and most of the other JMC singles are more bubblegum for their day than say: My World is Empty, Itching, Reflections, Love Child & someday - just to name a few. Jean was a great singer but it's hardly a feather in her cap that she was incapable of delivering acceptable vocals on the classic Supremes songs that the public came to hear [[without which there would have been no Supremes for Jean to join) - along with the new material. one thing that impresses me a great deal is that jean continued to grow into songs she recorded. I like her vocal on I Guess I'll Miss The Man, but on every TV appearance that I've seen, she bettered it. Ditto Bad Weather [[although I don't like her vocal on the 45) it was much better live. Also, her vocal on The Sullivan medley is excellent. I don't know how many takes they did, but the one they used is letter perfect and quite impressive considering it was a style I'm guessing she hadn't much experience with.

There seems to be a lot of opinions that It's Time To Break Down would have been a good single. This is my favorite song from the album and one of my all time favorite Supremes 70s songs. While the song received a lot of FM air play in the SF Bay Area and could be heard blaring out of a lot of dorm rooms, the song didn't have that mass appeal to race up the charts.

All the same can be said of Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet from Floy Joy. These were two songs that we really enjoyed just grooving off in various states of chemical euphoria. While the ladies poured their hearts and souls into these songs neither would have been a commercial success. With that said, both tracks were among the best of their best work from a time when very little throw away material was included on albums.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    There seems to be a lot of opinions that It's Time To Break Down would have been a good single. This is my favorite song from the album and one of my all time favorite Supremes 70s songs. While the song received a lot of FM air play in the SF Bay Area and could be heard blaring out of a lot of dorm rooms, the song didn't have that mass appeal to race up the charts.

All the same can be said of Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet from Floy Joy. These were two songs that we really enjoyed just grooving off in various states of chemical euphoria. While the ladies poured their hearts and souls into these songs neither would have been a commercial success. With that said, both tracks were among the best of their best work from a time when very little throw away material was included on albums.
    Their albums in the 70's included a lot more stronger, complex and yes soulful material than their work in the 60's. Their music had more adult themes to it which makes it still listenable today. I get a kick out of when someone "recently" discovers some of those superb album tracks the ladies recorded back in the 70's.

Their albums in the 70's included a lot more stronger, complex and yes soulful material than their work in the 60's. Their music had more adult themes to it which makes it still listenable today. I get a kick out of when someone "recently" discovers some of those superb album tracks the ladies recorded back in the 70's.
    I think the reason why "It's Time to Break Down" was so innovative was because of the really strong guitar solo during the break. It was unlike anything ever heard on a Supremes track before. In that, it reminded me of the Carpenters' "Goodbye to Love," as they had a fairly routine song and arrangement, until the break, and then this wild guitar solo a la Hendrix exploded, which was more in keeping with a rock song. Though they're not similar in any other ways, I love both those songs. I wonder, was it Dennis Coffey on "Break Down?"

Marv, regarding your comment about the live version of "My World is Empty" with Jean on lead, I'll have to listen to the album again. I don't remember it, but that is a beautiful song and one which I could imagine Jean could really give her own spin to.

supremester Guest
    I agree with you, but I would have sent it out anyway - you never know when something unusual will hit and I think, following the strength of Stoned Love, It's Time To Break Down would have garnered a lot of instant adds. It it did hit, it would have given JMC a boost and perhaps a direction to move in - plus some industry respect for Jean because her vocal is perfect. The real problem is that the cut is too long and there's no way to really edit it into a single unless it just fades out after the vocals are done. It needed a vocal finish or a 3rd verse. I don't hear another single on the album except perhaps I Wish I Were Your Mirror and, well you just never know about silly songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post

smark21 Guest
    I’m not sure I would call “I Wish I Were Your Mirror” a “silly” song. Going by the lyrics and story told, it’s a stalker song from a point of view of a stalker with a serious case of low self esteem. I guess what makes the song “silly” is that the way the song is sung, arranged and produced, it’s being sold as some sort of piece of romanticism , rather than a case study in warped mental health.

smark21 Guest
    posted in wrong thread.

supremester Guest
    LOL......exactly, plus there are, for me, intolerable lyrics [[the tree & commode........ugh) I just don't see it as a bouncy song. I do hear Mary & Cindy on it - I forget how high Mary's range was quite impressive. I don't know who sequenced this album - maybe Frank? I'd have saved Mirror for Touch. Also, I'm over thinking this: I actually recall playing NWBLS and enjoying the bounce of Mirror - even if I did cringe a bit, it prepared me for the title tune from Ross' newest that followed a few weeks later.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I’m not sure I would call “I Wish I Were Your Mirror” a “silly” song. Going by the lyrics and story told, it’s a stalker song from a point of view of a stalker with a serious case of low self esteem. I guess what makes the song “silly” is that the way the song is sung, arranged and produced, it’s being sold as some sort of piece of romanticism , rather than a case study in warped mental health.