[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Eddie Kendricks - If You Let Me

From People...Hold On [[1972)

Love the way Frank Wilson reworked this from Jimmy Ruffins original. Love them both, but I think I prefer Eddie...Paulo XXX

topdiva1 Guest
    As with any thing Eddie Kendricks - Class all smooth class.

Eddie................ Da Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

This was him at his best!

When this was released as a single, I loved it - then I listened to the B side, and thought 'this is even better'. Just memories. That was a most beautiful track, and showed Eddie's singing ability perfectly.

Four years ago, one of the radio stations that played 2 hours of non-stop Motown every week, played my 3 favourite Motown records - and EK'S 'Just memories' was one of them.

The single didn't sell - but I don't think it received much airplay at the time.

What an excellent song and one I had previously overlooked. Will definitely have to replay the album. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    When this was released as a single, I loved it - then I listened to the B side, and thought 'this is even better'. Just memories. That was a most beautiful track, and showed Eddie's singing ability perfectly.

Four years ago, one of the radio stations that played 2 hours of non-stop Motown every week, played my 3 favourite Motown records - and EK'S 'Just memories' was one of them.

The single didn't sell - but I don't think it received much airplay at the time.
    Where are you? That song "If You Let Me" was SOOOO popular in Detroit and surrounding areas when it was released in the Winter of 1972-73 that the 45 Single and that of Valerie Simpson's "Silly Wasn't I" were the top prizes at my Junior High Schools' Christmas Dance.

It was a HUGE Regional hit thanks to WCHB, CKLW and WKLR radio stations:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Where are you? That song "If You Let Me" was SOOOO popular in Detroit and surrounding areas when it was released in the Winter of 1972-73 that the 45 Single and that of Valerie Simpson's "Silly Wasn't I" were the top prizes at my Junior High Schools' Christmas Dance.
    I'm in Hampshire / Surrey / Berkshire borders.

We must be of similar ages, because I remember 72/73, the years of T Rex, Slade, the dreadful Osmonds... but then we were about to enter the three day week. My school [[being an all boys place) didn't have such things as Christmas Dances or any social activities. We were only there for academic purposes. How things in this country have changed!

Simply Pure Class! from Eddie, many artists who think they were soul were really pop music, Eddie is SOUL!

It wasn't until Eddie started his solo career did he get to use so effectively the other shadings of his voice below his
    much loved tenor/falsetto. He got to growl, groan and croon as only he could. The closest he came prior to leaving the
    Tempts was on Ball Of Confusion. It caught a few of my friends by surprise but I loved it. I told that to Eddie himself
    when I met him and he nodded and smiled that Eddie smile. I still miss that brother...

Quite true Splanky, his voice was a wonderful instrument, Like Marvin Gaye, a lot of folk took Eddie's music personally, he had the innate knack of singing to you, not at you, hence his ballads were always fan favorites. Heres a song that got me through a lot of miles on the highway and remains a favorite of mine to this day. " I could never be, what she wants of me.....

You know kdubya, for a long time I couldn't listen to Eddie because it made me so sad
    thinking of his early passing. When he left us I went back into bop, avante grade jazz and blues REAL HARD. I didn't even replace some of his albums I'd over the years lost.
    Today, though I can celebrate his life and legacy through my own collection and what's
    on the internet and I'd forgotten how much I loved Tell Her...Another favorite of mine
    back in the day was this one, Honey Brown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPsV0zzswiU

There are no Eddie Kendricks in the biz today. Not saying there are not any real singers
    left, it's just that Eddie...You only get one like him...

Kdub, that is one of his best songs that never ages. I too was lucky to see and party with Eddie one last time at Chassies in Detroit. He was a great singer, a cool dude, tough and very down to Earth good guy. We had a lot fun.

Ive just been gettin into his SLICK album again. The track BABY is just so beeeuuutuful. PaULO xxx

...Another favorite of mine back in the day was this one, Honey Brown...

Splanky we're on the same page my friend. Honey Brown was one of the most melancholy yet mellifluent songs Eddie ever made. A tale of heartbreak and sorrow, Eddie lost his girl and heart to a Pimp........" a street corner was her stage"......dam tragic yet ultimately brilliant, I can't think of another artist who could convey the feelings captured within the lyrics of this song......

This along with "Each Day I Cry A Little "was another singular favorite of mine Eddie again at his finest........

Eddie Kendricks is another man whose talent was not totally utilized further than being a meal ticket for Motown's profit. Songs like "The House of Johnnie Mae", "Can I", "Each Day I Cry a Little", "Shoeshine Boy", "Honey Brown", Eddie was [[and is) just amazing.

This one doesn't get mentioned much, but I always liked it. From late '75 " Happy":

Kdub, I saw Eddie sing "Intimate Friends" New Years Eve 84-85' at the old Premier Center outside of Detoit. He was opening for Mary Wilson. When Eddie started this song, strode out into audience and women were damn near fainting. One had to be pulled from his neck! LOL!

He backed all that up with these lesser discussed gems:

"He's A Friend of Mine"
    "Going Up In Smoke"
    "Cream Off the Top"

Just an amazing artist that should have his own box set by now!