[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RossHolloway Guest

Aretha does Diana's Ain't No Moutain High Enough

Ran across this great clip, Aretha showing Respect to the great one Diana Ross. I know down thru the years they've both covered each others songs. Thought I'd share the clip.

A good job. A much different looking lady back then.

Great clip, Rossholloway!!! A bit tongue in cheek I'd say, though. Ree Ree had Diana's sound DOWN!

RossHolloway Guest
    On page 68 of this set there is a wonderful picture of Kim Weston singing on stage at the Twenty Grand, with Jack Ashford of the Funk Brothers in the background playing the xylophones. But Kim is singing into what looks like both an amplifying microphone as well as a recording microphone. I wonder if there are any unreleased Live performances in the vaults by Kim? Does anyone know?

RossHolloway Guest
    Definitely tongue and cheek.

Love that cheeky Aretha cover of one of Diana's signature songs. When sister 'Rea is "good," she's "bad," and when's she "bad," she's even better! Thanks for posting this truly soulful "Detroit" moment!

Seemed like a parody to me. I'd wondering why she didn't simply do it in her own style but perhaps she was making a point. If Aretha was poking fun, I don't think it worked for Aretha in any way. I'd be interested to know if it was repeated in her shows or if it turned out to be a one-shot deal.

I don't think it was a parody or meant to be funny or a diss. It was just a imitation of Diana.

It was definitely parody! I have never seen Aretha sing so little on stage before than in the above clip. LOL!

Here is the full medley.

This was Aretha's tribute to the top singers of that time. She asked if the audience liked "impressions". That is what she did. She did an "impression" of Diana. Aretha has shown nothing but respect for Diana through the years, and Diana has shown nothing but respect for Aretha.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 10-23-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    This was Aretha's tribute to the top singers of that time. She asked if the audience liked "impressions". That is what she did. She did an "impression" of Diana. Aretha has shown nothing but respect for Diana through the years, and Diana has shown nothing but respect for Aretha.
    Just curious, in the 50 plus years both ladies have been in the business, have you ever seen a picture of them together?

Aretha and Diana Ross are not friends at all!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-23-2013 at 07:42 PM.

They performed together for Bill Clinton. Aretha was on stage with everyone and was kind of off to the side. Diana Ross motioned for Aretha to come over and stand center stage with her where she belonged. Here is one of what I'm sure are many pictures from that event.

Name:  aretha-franklin-18-sized.jpg
Views: 3229
Size:  81.9 KB

Aretha was in attendance when Diana received the Kennedy Center Honor.

Name:  diana_ross_aretha_franklin_2007_kch.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  83.4 KB
    Last edited by skooldem1; 10-23-2013 at 07:56 PM.

They performed together for Bill Clinton. Aretha was on stage with everyone and was kind of off to the side. Diana Ross motioned for Aretha to come over and stand center stage with her where she belonged. Here is one of what I'm sure are many pictures from that event.

Name:  aretha-franklin-18-sized.jpg
Views: 3229
Size:  81.9 KB
    Dont even bother skooldem1 he want Diane Ross to be completely friendless. He couldve stayed out of this thread but noooooooo he has to stalk every Diane thread on this here forum. lol

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Dont even bother skooldem1 he want Diane Ross to be completely friendless. He couldve stayed out of this thread but noooooooo he has to stalk every Diane thread on this here forum. lol

Roberta
    They don't look like they are together to me Jonc. Is that the best you can do? LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.

No one said they had to be friends. They have a mutual respect for one another. That is all that matters.

Here it says, Diane tried to approach Aretha once about getting to know each other.......IN 1993! LOL!

Check it out:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ErK...riends&f=false

Here from another source, Jim McAvoy's book "Aretha":

Now Jonc, [[aka Roberta75) remember when this thread starts to go south [[upon the arrival of Jobeterob...), just remember you started it!

No one said they had to be friends. They have a mutual respect for one another. That is all that matters.
    Now that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They don't look like they are together to me Jonc. Is that the best you can do? LOL!!!
    Yet you and DetroitLives313 fit like a glove. lol

Now Jonc, [[aka Roberta75) remember when this thread starts to go south [[upon the arrival of Jobeterob...), just remember you started it!
    No it went south when you enter it DetroitLives313.

Skooldem - Thank you for posting the full medley. To me, Aretha seemed to be paying tribute to Marvis and Gladys. But her Diana didn't seem to be that. It may not have been meant to be mean-spirited but it seemed to me to be somewhat in jest. Mimicking someone in the same business can be a dicey proposition. Debbie Reynolds could do a terrific Zsa Zsa Gabor and Streisand that really captured them. Aretha's Diana certainly didn't do that and, for me, was so broad that I found it much more seeming to be parody. But it's very possible that may not have been Aretha's intent.

The other ladies she paid tribute to are singers. Diana Ross is more than that. Besides the fact that Diana is also a "singer" she also has a huge persona. So Aretha in imitating Diana, did the big fur coat, the arms up in the air and the kittenish speaking voice.

Aretha did the same medley of impressions on the Midnight Special in 1976, complete with costume and wig changes. She also added Billie Holiday's ITS EASY TO REMEMBER to the medley. Years earlier, she imitated Diana, along with Della Reese, Dionne Warwick, and Sarah Vaughan on the Flip Wilson show.

Re Diana and Aretha, at one point, a nice photo of the two of them hung in Aretha's house. It was taken at the Clinton inauguration in 1993, and was shown during a news story on local Detroit television. I have no idea if they are best buds, but Aretha has had nothing but nice things to say about Diana, saying that she respected her and her hard work. She also mentioned that she liked reading about Diana as a mother in SECRETS OF A SPARROW.

In concert, Aretha used to tell the story of how her eldest son Clarence was a Diana fanatic, with posters of her on his walls and even his ceiling. Because of this, Aretha jokingly said "I used to like her!" But she ended the story by saying that she and Diana were pen pals.
    Last edited by reese; 10-23-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. You asked if anyone has ever seen a picture of them together in their fifty year career. Two were instantly supplied and you asked if that is the best that they can do. Exactly what were you looking for in the picture of them together. Embracing? Kissing? Hugging? Having mad sex? Supplied to you was exactly what you asked for. A picture of them together.

Just curious, in the 50 plus years both ladies have been in the business, have you ever seen a picture of them together?

Aretha and Diana Ross are not friends at all!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Perhaps I misunderstood your question. You asked if anyone has ever seen a picture of them together in their fifty year career. Two were instantly supplied and you asked if that is the best that they can do. Exactly what were you looking for in the picture of them together. Embracing? Kissing? Hugging? Having mad sex? Supplied to you was exactly what you asked for. A picture of them together.
    Where did you see two pictures of Aretha Franklin with Diane Ross?

Its about time you start showing respect around here and start using basic civility when correspond with other members marv2? Its real obvious you care little for Diane Ross yet your constantly post about her and ruin every Diane Ross thread. If you cant say anything good about someone take the high road or ignore the thread. Please do us all a real big favor marv2 and stop the negative attacks and please stay away from Diane Ross threads.
    You may not like to hear this but Diane Ross does have fans in fact she have almost 700000 facebook followers.

Marv was quite distressed a couple of years ago to be reminded that Aretha Franklin stayed at Diana Ross's Connecticut house!

Its about time you start showing respect around here and start using basic civility when correspond with other members marv2? Its real obvious you care little for Diane Ross yet your constantly post about her and ruin every Diane Ross thread. If you cant say anything good about someone take the high road or ignore the thread. Please do us all a real big favor marv2 and stop the negative attacks and please stay away from Diane Ross threads.
    You may not like to hear this but Diane Ross does have fans in fact she have almost 700000 facebook followers.
    You mean like the way you came into my original Casey kasem thread and posted negative attacks about his children? Was that taking the high road? boards are for discussion, not sycophantic affirmation of people's likes and dislikes. So get over it, you hypocritical cow.

supremester Guest
    That's exactly what you are doing now, Jillfoster, so mooooooooove over, Bossy. This has nothing to do with the subject matter of an incessant basher. xoxoxoxo
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    You mean like the way you came into my original Casey kasem thread and posted negative attacks about his children? Was that taking the high road? boards are for discussion, not sycophantic affirmation of people's likes and dislikes. So get over it, you hypocritical cow.

The other ladies she paid tribute to are singers. Diana Ross is more than that. Besides the fact that Diana is also a "singer" she also has a huge persona. So Aretha in imitating Diana, did the big fur coat, the arms up in the air and the kittenish speaking voice.
    I guess I saw Aretha's Diana impression as showing Ross as pretty much everything except a singer. Hence, the parody angle, at least to my eyes and ears.

RossHolloway Guest

Roberta - Why do you insist on feeding the trolls? Just ignore them and they will go away. You know anytime there is a thread on DR they will have nothing to add but negativity. Don't get baited in on their hatred and negativity, everyone sees THEM for what they truly are. Haters.

I think it's an impression of Ross. I dont think she making fun of her despite the laughing at the beginning of some of the audience. But Marv I must thank you for posting the Aretha quote about getting to know Diana. I referred to it in the past and was maligned by you know who that I made it up!! Anyone ever read Darlene Love's quote about the ladies backstage when Diana breezed through? lol

RossHolloway Guest
    I think that Diana and Aretha are friends, but like most secure celebrities, they don't have a need to flaunt their friendships around. Over the years Aretha has covered several Motown songs, and at least two Diana Ross tunes: Reach Out and Touch on her Live at Filmore West album and also It's My Turn in the early 80's. And I know Diana recorded a teriffic version of Aretha's Call Me in the early 70's. I don't think that either woman would cover a song if they didn't like the material or had no respect for the artist. In the original clip that I posted, I don't think Aretha in any way does anything to disrespect or throw shade at Diana in anyway. Her FULL medley was a tribute to a bunch of awesome female singers, nothing more, nothing less. Please ignore the negativity.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I think it's an impression of Ross. I dont think she making fun of her despite the laughing at the beginning of some of the audience. But Marv I must thank you for posting the Aretha quote about getting to know Diana. I referred to it in the past and was maligned by you know who that I made it up!! Anyone ever read Darlene Love's quote about the ladies backstage when Diana breezed through? lol
    If you think about the supposed Aretha anonymous quote, are we to believe that 1993 was the first time that Diana and Aretha had been in the same room together EVER? Or the first time that they ever spoke to each? The supposed quote does not provide context or the full conversation, so I call BS on the quote. And I think you have to take Darlene Love's quote with a huge grain of salt. Out of all the things that has happened in her life as an artist, why would she feel the need to bring up Diana Ross's name in her autobiography?

Why you can seem to grasp that Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin are not nor ever been friends is beyond me! Why is it important that they be friends? Also, how can "Aretha's" quote be "anonymous" when it came from her and her name is attached to it? LOL! Irrational.........

RossHolloway Guest
    Do not feed the trolls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBirf4BWew

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Roberta - Why do you insist on feeding the trolls? Just ignore them and they will go away. You know anytime there is a thread on DR they will have nothing to add but negativity. Don't get baited in on their hatred and negativity, everyone sees THEM for what they truly are. Haters.
    Well we all know DetroitLives313 is a gay bashing hater and yes you right its best to ignore.

Fondly,

Roberta

Good man RossHolloway.

Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross, love em or like em, they are the icons of their era.

As I mentioned, Aretha stayed at Diana's house in Connecticut.

It was definitely parody! I have never seen Aretha sing so little on stage before than in the above clip. LOL!
    Yeah, all of the impressive vocal work was done by her back-ups!

Diana's parts in the song are spoken. So she tried to speak like Diana.

Maybe it's just me, but I see nothing negative about her interpretation. Her facials look sincere, the audience isn't laughing, as one might expect out of a parody, nor is she being over the top. Just seems like another part of a medley to me.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Yeah, all of the impressive vocal work was done by her back-ups!
    The back up singers did all the work on this and Diana's version.

The back up singers did all the work on this and Diana's version.
    Agreed. No offense to Diana, but I don't think that song would have been anything without the Andantes.

RossHolloway Guest
    Agreed. No offense to Diana, but I don't think that song would have been anything without the Andantes.
    The Andantes are not on background.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    The Andantes are not on background.
    It's not just the Andantes, but the Andantes are definitely there. Along with Ashford & Simpson and a couple of others.

RossHolloway Guest
    No offense to the background singers, but the song would not have been what it was/is without Diana Ross on vocals, the writing skills of A&S and the musicians.