[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

The Supremes The Final Session,The Mary Cindy Scherrie and Susaye years,

The Supremes The Final Session,The Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene years, I'v been hearing good things about this cd set. I hope some live songs are included from The Supremes[[Mary Scherrie Susaye) farewell show.
    Please stay positive

This a truely a set worth it's weight in gold!

I plan to get it as well... can't wait!

smark21 Guest
    What year do you think it will get released? Will it be released before or after Mary's Holland Bros. CD?

I think I read somewhere on here that Susaye said we are in for a few surprises, so we may well be on for a treat.

topdiva1 Guest
    Would it not be great for these four to team up and do at least one great show together - perhaps in VEGAS.

Or maybe, come on stage with Mary, And do a song. What a treat that would be, I can dream, if i want to. [[smile)
    Please stay positive

I'v heard the release date for THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSIONS,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS, Is sometime in April ,Of this year 2011,Any more news ?
    Please stay positive

Susaye posted here not too long ago about hopes for a reunion and urged folks not to be negative.

Is this actually, finally, eventually..being released???????? Are there enougth fans still alive out there to buy it? im hanging on, just..Paulo XXXX

Susaye posted the following on Facebook:

Just got back from seeing the Supremes "Final Sessions" artwork. You guys are going to scream, it is so beautiful!!! I'm not kidding; it is the gorgeousness!

Topdiva: Great idea! It would be nice to see the the final four [[MSCS) in concert! I did enjoy the the last two albums; especially High Energy with Susaye on lead. With the right promotion and advertising, this might be a successful event in a smaller forum. Expanding the idea with Jean would add an interesting element to the whole idea and add to the probability of making some decent money. I would be suprised if Mary would participate for more than a couple of shows. Obvioulsy she still wants that DMC "reunion" that will never happen, but this could be very interesting because of all the talent. The players all seen to get along, in fact I think Miss Susaye mentioned somewhere that she and Mary email jokes back and forth-or something like that.

However, when I was in Vegas over the holidays, all I heard was that business was off twenty percent in both 2009 and 2010. I attended the Sienfeld show and it was not sold out-so that may tell us something. I believe he usually sells out.

Anyway.....great idea!

From what i heard,before SUSAYE join THE SUPREMES,SCHERRIE did the lead,on High Energy,I also heard,that SUSAYE did a lead,on I'm gonna,let my heart,do the walking,if this is true,i hope these tracks are included,in the set THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS.
    Please stay positive

topdiva1 Guest
    plaIt will be interesting to see how much - if any - truely new material will be included - I understand that the planned artwork could be redesigned or changed by request of someone ???????

Is Susaye doing the artwork? She is an excellant artist!

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    plaIt will be interesting to see how much - if any - truely new material will be included - I understand that the planned artwork could be redesigned or changed by request of someone ???????
    She's not back yet. hehehehehehe.....!

I do know that Mary,is writing something on the liner note's,on THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE AND SUSAYE GREENE YEARS SET.
    Please stay positive

Redhot

Can I ask how you know please. Are you actively working on the project?

No,[[theboyfromxtown)i'm not working on the project,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,This is how i know,when i saw Mary Wilson's live show here,in Los Angeles Ca,at The Catalina Jazz Club,[[9-2-2010)Mary gave me,and a friend that info,she knows how much,i love THE SUPREMES,From the 70s,that's why she let me know, about the liner note's.
    Please stay positive

Thank you REDHOT. Good on Mary

I am sure the guys at Universal will be real happy that Mary has contributed. Let's hope they are able to use what she was able to provide them.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    No,[[theboyfromxtown)i'm not working on the project,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION,This is how i know,when i saw Mary Wilson's live show here,in Los Angeles Ca,at The Catalina Jazz Club,[[9-2-2010)Mary gave me,and a friend that info,she knows how much,i love THE SUPREMES,From the 70s,that's why she let me know, about the liner note's.
    Please stay positive
    Did Mary happen to mention anything about that 'forthcoming' CD? Where IS IT?

Blueskies....I wanna know about that cd too.

I guess we can see that at least for the Scherrie Payne years, things are moving along; Susaye is out there talking publicly about it which is encouraging. I'm sure we will see it sooner or later. It appeals to a very small market, a small niche, is a real specialty item in a day when CDS are dieing ~ they should take their time and make it very special. There aren't going to be many more items like it, so we should savour it.

With respect to Mary Wilson's CD ~ even Aretha Franklin has no deal with a record company; she can't get her new CD off the ground either. If Aretha Franklin isn't going to do it, Mary's market is perhaps 2% of Aretha's. It will be something that is self generated, self promoted to her fan base only. It might happen, it might not. Mary is in no different position than all the female singers from her era ~ which means she needs all the luck she can get if she wants to put out another CD. I'm not even sure it should be a priority. Continuing to work while she can and while she wants to seems a better bet.

I'd have to agree with you Rob. It's just that it seemed to be right at our doorstep last summer. Mary even had it on her website that it was to be released within a few weeks. Then, poof! Gone from her web site and hasn't been mentioned since? So close....yet so far away! Hopefully someday! In the meantime, looking forward to the Scherrie Payne years. Good things are worth waiting for.

With the release of,THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSION THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS,I'm hoping there's a release party,like the one for THE 70s SUPREMES ANTHOLOGY,That was sooo much fun,CINDY JEAN LYNDA SCHERRIE and SUSAYE were there,I just MARY had been there.
    Please stay positive

I just hear that,there will be no picture of,THE SUPREMES[[Mary Cindy Scherrie Susaye),on the cover of, THE FINAL SESSION,cd coming April 2011,is this true?
    Please stay positive

From today's MusicTap:

Hip-O Select will release Let Yourself Go: The ’70s Albums, Vol 2, 1974-1977: The Final Session featuring The Supremes [[CD/DD) on May 17.

Glad to see that this finally has a release date. There is some great music in these final sessions and it will be wonderful to finally be able to hear it again.

No picture? How many Supremes were there from 1974 to 1978? Mary, Scherrie, Susaye?? Were Lynda and Cindy and Jean in there too? Is that the reason for no picture?

Well, it took about 30 years since cd's became available and about 4 and half years since the last 70's Supremes box set for these albums to finally see the light of day for a cd release. Let's hope it wont get delayed again.

Detmotownguy is correct. Business in Vegas & other places has been horrible over these last 2 years. This recession hit corporate folks hard & usually, the first thing to go are the perks for their clients, including tickets for these type of shows.

But The Supremes are a unique case & I'm sure that if the RIGHT people get behind a tour such as this, given the history & allure, I believe that it would be huge!

Given the hue & cry which surrounded "Dreamgirls", there are young people who are aware of The Supremes. If handled correctly, I believe that a Supremes reunion is viable & could be extremely profitable, that is, as long as greed & exorbitant ticket prices are not pushed.

But most importantly, the participation of Diana is paramount. There's no way that this would ever work without Diana.

Of course the key to this is everyone giving just a little & appreciating the fact that none are those 20 year-olds any longer.

Diana has been doing her thing solo since 1970 & Mary's been doing her thing for decades as well. Given that the huge hits featured Diana's voice prominently, it's natural that she would get the lion's share of the songs. But I also believe that Mary would have to be allowed her turn to shine as well. How to integrate any potential leads for Mary, is the one sticking point in that equation. While the diehards remember those LP cuts which featured Mary, the casual fans don't & that could prove to be a problem.

Either way, there's enough interest to make this profitable for all & more than that, in today's world where the internet & Twitter reign supreme, this could easily be hyped, sold & be a success.

But will it happen? I seriously doubt it, but for all of the loyal Supremes fans, it's a one-in-a-lifetime thing & for them, I'd really love to see this happen. It would be historic & perhaps provide a sense of closure & a climax that I believe most of them need.

Hell, it's the stuff that dreams are made of.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Also important would be how to integrate the Mary, Susaye, Scherrie, as well as Jean contributions to the legacy of The Supremes.

I may be in the minority, but my favorite Supremes songs from 1970 forward are "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" & "Let My Heart Do The Walking". How many songs would the post-Diana Supremes be able to perform & how would everyone here set up a songlist if such a reunion were to take place?

I believe that you couldn't do a show like this with the songs being performed chronologically, as Susaye, Scherrie & Jean would be missing for the opening section of the show, then Diana would be missing from the end portion. Would you have Diana, Mary & Cindy alternate songs with Mary, Susaye, Scherrie & Jean? How would you structure such an event?

Also, given her solo career, would it be appropriate for Diana to be featured in a solo spot, or would it be best for this to remain strictly a "Supremes Thing"?

If you were in charge of handling the song list & set, how would you structure it so that EVERYONE, including the NON-DIEHARDS [[whom would likely purchase the lions share of the tickets) would be satisfied?

Anyone?

Juice, I don't care about Diana's participation. If all we had was Jean, Mary, and Cindy singing on one of TJ's PBS specials, I'd be happy and content. And many other people would be, too. Mary is a fool for not attempting this and holding out for the "big reunion". Because if she DID do one with Jean and Cindy as a one time thing, Diana Would forever look bad to everyone, and the one who isn't willing to go the distance for her fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Juice, I don't care about Diana's participation. If all we had was Jean, Mary, and Cindy singing on one of TJ's PBS specials, I'd be happy and content. And many other people would be, too. Mary is a fool for not attempting this and holding out for the "big reunion". Because if she DID do one with Jean and Cindy as a one time thing, Diana Would forever look bad to everyone, and the one who isn't willing to go the distance for her fans.
    I was going to say that! You beat me to it! LOL!!!!

Now remember that I said that I wasn't speaking about the hardcore fans.

I liked The Supremes when Diana was with them, as well as after she left. Admittedly, while I own Supremes LPs after her departure, the hits from their glory days are what the mainstream people remember the most.

I was 4 when they exploded so I never had the chance to prefer one over the other, but even at that age, I thought that Mary was beautiful, followed by Flo & they were definitely my choice. But I was too young to get wrapped up in the feuds that came 20 years afterwards. I tended to think of The Supremes as a unit, so to me, whether Diana was the dominant lead or not mattered not to me. I loved a group named THE SUPREMES & due to that, I liked them as a unit.

I never thought of them in terms of being glamorous, nor was I ever caught up in their wigs, gowns or any of that. So likely due to my age & having a different way of looking at it than their most hardcore fans, I've been able to separate myself from the dramas that have led to some much internet & chatroom angst between the fans of both camps.

In all honesty, I believe that all of the insults, fighting & hard feelings between the fans has only served to make any reunion a virtual impossibility. Perhaps had fans simply bowed out & not stoked the fires which were the equivalent to picking sores before they healed, perhaps these ladies could've found a way to mend the fences. But when you have so many people pot-shotting & fans carrying stories back & forth for more than 2 decades, the ladies have likely never had an extended period without someone reminding them of who said what & who did what about whom.

I'd argue that this has been a very big factor in why the fans haven't & aren't getting the reunion that they want. I also believe that so much has been said & done for so long, that not even money is a big enough lure for some to get this done.

But even the most hardcore Supremes fan as to recognize that Diana is the most visible & most recognizable Supreme to the casual or even average fan. I like Mary, have seen her perform a few time in recent years & I don't judge her as harshly as many fans seem to. I don't expect her to sound as she did 40 years ago & I am also well-aware of her history & how events might've once played with her confidence.

It takes a lot of courage to step out of the shadows, going from primarily a supporting role to being the star of your own show & I give her credit for doing that. With that said, the reality is that the type of people who would be inclined with putting a show like this together are not interested in mere star power. They're interested in MEGA-STAR POWER. They want the highest profile artists, as well as those whom possess that charisma & electricity that makes these events "MUST-SEE" & water cooler talk.

Which is why we always see every Adam, Justin & Boy George whenever one of these huge "events" take place. The people funding these events realize that the hardcore fan is going to view or purchase tickets regardless. They're trying to dig into the pockets of the other 90% of the population whom are casual fans, whom aren't into the history of the music, nor the groups. Those folks are into the songs & the huge stars whom they all know.

Diana fits that category to a "T".

For them, the math is simple...

The Supremes
    - Diana Ross
    = NO SHOW!

It disappoints me to say that, but for the casual music fan, a great man said it quite accurately...

"No one cares kid..."
    - Sonny LoSpecchio - "A Bronx Tale"

"Except for the hardcore fans amongst us & that sucks!"
    - Juice - "SDF"
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-05-2011 at 12:23 AM.

I wasn't disappointed to hear that Diana was leaving The Supremes, as a matter of fact I was eagerly awaiting the day.

Although their television performances were generally exciting their recordings after Reflections were hit and miss. I felt that the group format was no longer the right place for Diana. I also felt that she was overshadowing the group that I loved. So the split felt right for me.

I, too, think that a reunion of Mary, Cindy and Jean would be nice. Mary could be the opening act and The JMC Supremes could be the second act. If that is successful then Mary could have a reunion tour with Scherrie and Susaye. Just like Martha used to tour with different Vandellas, Mary could have various Supremes join her when she does her oldies shows.

As much as I would love it, a reunion of DMC would seem forced and awkward. I prefer not to witness that.

Thanks PJ1,for the info,on the release date,[[05-17-2011)THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO THE FINAL SESSION,THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS,Again i hope theres a promo party for the CD.
    Please stay positive

I hope there's a release party as well. I was at the 70's Supremes CD party in LA and it was very cool.

Where was the release party for the other one?

I've never been to anything like that and I'd love to go.

Maybe Andy can tell us something about it and I can make a trip!

I wonder why there is no picture on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Where was the release party for the other one?

I've never been to anything like that and I'd love to go.

Maybe Andy can tell us something about it and I can make a trip!

It was at the Archlight complex in LA. This was in 2003. Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye where there. It was a lot of fun. Even Ru Paul showed up. Freddi Poole was there as well.

The late great,former TEMPTATION OLLIE WOODSON,and SCHERRIE'S SISTER,FREDA PAYNE, was also there, i just wish MARY,had been there.if the release party happens,for THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO THE FINAL SESSION,let's hope that MARY CINDY SCHERRIE AND SUSAYE,ALL WILL BE THERE.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If there is no picture on the cover, perhaps it was the lovely ladies' decision as all 4 were not formally in the group together [[although we can hear all 4 on High Energy sessions).
    And, yes, I realize that the Jean Terrell years set's cover did not feature Lynda Lawrence, but her tenure was shortest within the group.
    Or perhaps there is no photo because one of the artistically inclined Supremes may have designed or suggested a special cover.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    The late great,former TEMPTATION OLLIE WOODSON,and SCHERRIE'S SISTER,FREDA PAYNE, was also there, i just wish MARY,had been there.if the release party happens,for THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO THE FINAL SESSION,let's hope that MARY CINDY SCHERRIE AND SUSAYE,ALL WILL BE THERE.
    Please stay positive
    You must have got to go the big party. Lucky! I was at the CD signing part. There were a lot of fans there. Jean seemed really touched by all the people that showed up. It was so cool to get to meet them. I had never met Cindy, Jean or Lynda. I spoke to Susaye on the phone and e-mailed her. This was my first time meeting her. I even called my husband to talk to her. She is just a doll. I met Scherrie once before. Hope to get to see them all again.

From Susaye's Facebook

Susaye Greene
    THE SUPREMES - LET YOURSELF GO: THE 70S ALBUMS VOL.2 - THE FINAL SESSIONS
    May 17th! Hurray! and Bravo!

Yes! This is great news! Now I'm hoping this will be the FINAL release date for the FINAL sessions.

What's this, i hear about a June release date ?if this is true,about THE SUPREMES LET YOURSELF GO,THE FINAL SESSION,The Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene years,i think it's great news.
    Please stay positive

Last edited by hwume; 04-01-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Yipppeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Name:  letyourselfgo.jpg
Views: 3171
Size:  40.9 KBName:  letyourselfgo2.JPG
Views: 3179
Size:  40.5 KB

Whoopee! Looking great. Thanks for the sneak peek Harry!

Yes!! Pardon my rudeness! Thank you HW for sharing that sneek peak!! It's beautiful!! Can't wait! This will be part of my graduation gift to myself. lol.