[REMOVE ADS]

LimeWire Ordered Shut Down

LimeWire Shut Down

D.I.S.H.
    Happy day for RIAA. Sad say for file sharers.

It's a triumph for the copyright protection lobby, recording industry associations and the music industry. And a blow to people who want to keep getting free music. LimeWire has been ordered to shut down its file sharing services, according to Wired magazine.

The order comes months after the company was found liable for a 'substantial amount of copyright infringement' that the music industry claims amounts to a billion dollars [[more, according to some reports)

The case began four years ago, when the Recording Industry of America [[RIAA) filed a suit alleging that as much as 93 percent of the New York based company's file sharing traffic involved unauthorized copyright material. U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood ruled in May that the site knowingly played host to massive infringement. Wired reports that, on Tuesday, Wood ordered LimeWire to stop 'searching, downloading, uploading, file trading' and to cease its 'file distribution functionality.'

At time of writing LimeWire.com featured only a link to a copy of the decision, though Wired reports that the following statement was posted on the site earlier: 'It's a sad occasion for our team, and for you — the hundreds of millions of people who have used LimeWire to discover new things.'

Arstechnica.com reports that the company now faces a January trial to put a dollar count on damages. Ars also reported that LimeWire does not plan to shut down entirely and intends to look at developing a plan to work with the music industry in future.

LimeWire, founded in 2000, reportedly claimed 50 million unique monthly users and millions of active users at any given moment.

Story provided by the Dish Information Corporation

Report a Typo or Correction. Thank you.

...Someone else will come along and take Limewires mantel..the powers out of the music industrys hands now..

You are totally right Nomis.

They already exist.

they sure do but Limewire has the same name cache that Napster had - its the most well known site freely associated by the public as a free downloading site so those still clinging to the dinosaur laws of practice concerning copyright have to go after it..

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    LimeWire Shut Down

D.I.S.H.
    Happy day for RIAA. Sad say for file sharers.

Honestly, it won't make a damn bit of difference. There's bit-torrent, Rapidshare, and private trading groups.

I admit that I download things that are not domestically available, or available at all. I just wish more R&B lovers would do quality needle drops. Almost every single one I have ever come across is a badly damaged record played on a bad/cheap turntable and cart, and encoded to low-bit rate mp3s, complete with chopped off tops and tails, and with all the noise left in. In contrast, the needledrops of pop/rock titles are done very professionally and sound phenomenal.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-28-2010 at 11:42 PM.

I'm looking to download obscure, out-of-print songs. Can anyone recommend a site to go to?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Honestly, it won't make a damn bit of difference. There's bit-torrent, Rapidshare, and private trading groups.

I admit that I download things that are not domestically available, or available at all. I just wish more R&B lovers would do quality needle drops. Almost every single one I have ever come across is a badly damaged record played on a bad/cheap turntable and cart, and encoded to low-bit rate mp3s, complete with chopped off tops and tails, and with all the noise left in. In contrast, the needledrops of pop/rock titles are done very professionally and sound phenomenal.
    soulster, u notice that too? lol.

soulster
    not everyone is a sound engineer.but the main probs are,like you said,low bit rate mp3 or wma,and wma!
    i know some of my 7",mostly imports, are crap quality,sounded ok on a 72 binatone.but 5h1t on anything you can buy today.
    having said that my feel the need by the detroit emeralds [[uk janus) was crap even on that binatone record player.you couldnt clean that up with the best bit of kit you'd recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by the_classic_master View Post
    soulster, u notice that too? lol.
    Soul music still gets no respect. Why aren't there more soul lovers making quality needledrops? I feel like i'm the only one doing them. And, it makes me believe that soul music lovers just don't care about sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    soulster
    not everyone is a sound engineer.but the main probs are,like you said,low bit rate mp3 or wma,and wma!
    i know some of my 7",mostly imports, are crap quality,sounded ok on a 72 binatone.but 5h1t on anything you can buy today.
    having said that my feel the need by the detroit emeralds [[uk janus) was crap even on that binatone record player.you couldnt clean that up with the best bit of kit you'd recommend.
    So, how come people, armatures, are doing needledrops of rock albums that are so good that you'd thing they were commercial CDs?

The problem starts with the playback, not the archival format. That just makes it worse.

The problem i'm talking about is the lack of care and skill when doing the transfer and cleanup process. The rock records are getting good transfers. Why not soul music?

i think you're getting a bit anal with your needle drop stuff now soulster.according to what you've said we've all got to lash out on some deck or another find some software and spend hours,days even,well thats fine if you have all the time in the world.like you said probably dont care that much.cash,time and expertise i havent got any in spades.
    i remember "rock fans" spending hours recording and listening to each little thing on a track.soul fans just wanted their stuff on and enjoy it.looks like its continuing.
    rock stuff was normally [[not all,obviously) on lps.soul music was more often than not 7" and the sound quality was crap,60's and most of the 70's.alot of imports i got are rubbish to listen to on todays hi-fi's.they wont clean up.

tamla617, there's no such thing as getting too anal if you want quality results. If you love something enough, you will demand excellence in what you do. Trust me, the people who master ALL recordings are every bit as anal as I am, and more.

If I have a record that's not on CD, I will take the time and whatever it takes to ensure that I get a quality digital transfer. The pros have the same dedication. It doesn't matter what kind of music it is.

and like you said some people dont care.i stopped caring when i found out i dont have good enough hearing for it to make the difference of chasing the perfect sound.work 30 plus years on aircraft,who knows how many hours in clubs and concerts.my ears have heard it all.f tracks missing is a different thing altogether.
    i'll repeat i aint got the cash,time and expertise.the only time i can really listen to music is in the car then i've got road noise,engine noise,air flow,blowers etc. i've also been listening to crap recordings most of my life it doesnt bother me.
    how much time do you spend doing all this in say a week?

Like I said, you don't have to sell your first born to get proper gear. For about $600-$700 USD, you can get a good turntable, decent cartridge, soundcard, and even less if you already have a phono amp.

I don't know what your hearing is, but working with aircraft shouldn't be so bad if you wore hearing protection. But that club scene without hearing protection over the long term will kill your hearing. If you are to the point where you can even hear 11,000 or 12,000k, I understand perfectly.

If I exclude time for work and life, it takes an average of about two hours after the initial recording into the computer is done.

ear defenders [[ear deffs) werent always available.always wore them on engine runs and running ground equipment.
    but air powered tools,drills,rivet guns make row but i wasnt always able to wear ear deffs because either i was stuck in a small hole with no room to wear them or if riveting the guy on the block may be on the other side of the wing or fuselage[[cabin) skin.and couldnt hear his instructions to either hit the same rivet or move to the next one.
    i had to have a full medical every 6 months.the hearing test used very hi freq. noise moving from left to right head phones
    it was on one of these i noticed i couldnt hear what i'd heard on previous tests.not sure what 11,000/12000k is i take it its a freq?
    i know i couldnt spend that amount of time to do the job properly.if i started now with my motown stuff in alphabetical order
    i'd be pushing up daisies by the time i hit the 1st jackson 5 album!
    i've got an ortofon vms 20 stylus it needs replacing soon.how much is that microfine [[?) stylus you mentioned in another thread?

I don't know which model you have, but Ortofon makes fine carts.

The cart I have has been discontinued, I believe, but Audio Technica makes other models with that stylus, like their popular 440MLa. The sound isn't as refined as their higher-end models, but that stylus cuts through the crud. Because the stylus closely mimics the shape of a cutter-head, the cart must be carefully set up, and one must take care if playing styrene 45 RPM pressings. I would not attempt to mount one on an ION turntable.

cheers soulster i'll take a look at those

gordon bennet soulster 154 quid?
    Last edited by tamla617; 11-01-2010 at 03:23 PM.

just use Soul Seek it's much better, and virus free.

This is a great thread.

On the one hand, Soulful Detroit has fighting Stylistics fans or members, fighting Supremes fans, and then you guys get into a very high end discussion about turntables and styluses using words I couldn't understand. But then, your average Supremes and Stylistics fan couldn't even say them let alone spell them.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    just use Soul Seek it's much better, and virus free.
    Nah! I tried it. I never find anything out of the usual retreads, and the bit-rates are usually too low.

gordon bennet soulster 154 quid?
    I'm a Yankee. I have NO idea what you just posted.

lol. sorry soulster gordon bennet is used like some blaspheme,i dont want to offend anyone here. quid is a british pound.
    it came from the owner [[i think)of the new york herald his son was a playboy and a bit of a push the envelope kind of bloke,sorry,guy!he had the gordon bennett cup for yacht racing and started the gordon bennett racing trials on the isle of man,which turned into the tt races,still going today.we've just had the gordon benett cup race for hot air balloons here a couple of weeks ago [[some ballons went missing in storms and a few missing feared dead)he also raced at brooklands race track,surrey for the cup he named.he was larger than life and outrageous with it, so i guess thats where the "gordon bennett" came from!
    when i was in long island a few years ago i said this infront of my cousins.they fell about laughing.so i had to explain it.before i left they were saying it too.btw its a saying thats stronger in london than any where else.never heard a northerner say it.

as for soulseek
    there is just about everything on there.the compression rates are a problem i just looked for the highest available at that particular time.but there are quite a few that just do 320's
    i've only failed to find a few things on there.some stuff on there is only available to private rooms you'll love the northern soul rooms but you need to be invited to the best ones.

gordon bennett soulster those carts are expensive! hows that mate?