[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross "If Your Not Gonna Love Me Right"

This was the Jam for me, I loved this song so much -- maybe because of what I was going through at the time but I still love it to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGdFpiQedKs

I loved this song as well. I thought it should have been released as the second single after TAKE ME HIGHER.

topdiva1 Guest
    Amazing coming from Ross - Ross should pursue this direction even now - hot and sexy.

I actually thought Swing It should have been the next single. [[I hope I'm not switching albums)!

Such a great song, I thought the remix was perfect for R&B radio and remember running down to Altwick Music to pick up the cassingle of it after work the second I heard the new version. If they had gone with this to R&B stations when the album first dropped I think the whole project could have been much more successful. Saving it as the 3rd single was a big mistake. Wish she would do more of this style today.

I agree if only they had of pulled this song first!!! I still have it on my car stereo system, my IPod and I take to the gym with me every day. I remember my niece and nephew asking me ...."Who is singing that song ? “ It was such a fresh up to date type of soulful mix and it fit her to a "T".

I remembered when BET played this song about five times lol I loved it then, love it now.

Was Swing It on the British version of Take Me Higher or on both the North American and British versions?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Was Swing It on the British version of Take Me Higher or on both the North American and British versions?
    I don't think it was on the American version. It might have been released in the US as the b-side of GONE, but I don't have the single in front of me.

You are correct, Swing It was never on the US version of the album, only the single of Gone. If I recall correctly Let Somebody Know was dropped on the UK version for Swing It.

I don't ever remember it being released on the b-side of Gone. I have the CD-single and I think Gone is on both sides.

Occasionally Motown, even under Berry Gordy, got things really wrong.

But leaving Swing It off the CD and not pushing it as an early single was a huge blunder. I think it might have been the largest single Ross blunder made by Motown. But as I recall, Motown was in disarray around that time and there were lots of screwups.

I also believe it would have been possible to take Diana to a new section of the single buying public with these songs and to add to the list I think an edit of Every Day Is A New Day would have also contributed to this approach. Sometimes I think Motown was a little too risk averse to the extent that it felt that it could not release songs as singles that were neither typical ballads of upbeat tracks.

Diana did this live on the tonight show and was excellent.

smark21 Guest
    Even if Motown was running well in the 90's I don't think it would have mattered. Ross had aged out of the US top 40/pop radio format by then. If she decides to record another album, she should focus on artistry, not trying to score a hit by competing with the Rhiannas and Lady Gagas.

uptight Guest
    Yeah, it was a decent song live. I liked how they ended it a capella, in harmony.

Its got a great beat,smooth vocals and a cool vibe I used to love listening to the song on the train in London..

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Even if Motown was running well in the 90's I don't think it would have mattered. Ross had aged out of the US top 40/pop radio format by then. If she decides to record another album, she should focus on artistry, not trying to score a hit by competing with the Rhiannas and Lady Gagas.
    I doubt she'll do that. Her last album was aimed squarely at her audience.

Agreed Smark and Midnight.

After 20 years at the top of the game, no artist is going to stay there; there are age issues for sure. Young people gravitate to new artists their age that become hugely successful - Jonas Brothers and now Justin Bieber.

Artists with something special last forever and forever, but they don't stay perpetually in the Top 40.....we are talking Diana, Elton John, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I don't ever remember it being released on the b-side of Gone. I have the CD-single and I think Gone is on both sides.
    Maybe you have a promo?

The US CD single I bought is in a generic blue Motown sleeve, and has GONE and SWING IT.

The US cassingle has a nice photo from the TAKE ME HIGHER photo shoot, and also includes GONE and SWING IT.

The UK edition cd single Part 1 renames the song I'M GONE, and also includes various mixes of TAKE ME HIGHER.

The UK edition cd single Part 2 includes I'M GONE, THEME FROM MAHOGANY, ENDLESS LOVE [[with Lionel), and WHEN YOU TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME.
    Last edited by reese; 10-29-2010 at 09:33 AM.

I have the US CD Single that you mention.

As I recall, If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right got some chart action ~ more than Take Me Higher.

But I still wonder if the whole project shouldn't have been called Swing It with Swing It as the first single. It is an all round better song than Take Me Higher.

I have the US CD Single that you mention.

As I recall, If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right got some chart action ~ more than Take Me Higher.

But I still wonder if the whole project shouldn't have been called Swing It with Swing It as the first single. It is an all round better song than Take Me Higher.
    I think IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT hit #69 on the R&B chart, and TAKE ME HIGHER hit #77.

Take Me Higher went to number one of the Billboard dance charts!

olamaebarto Guest
    I actually thought Swing It should have been the next single. [[I hope I'm not switching albums)!
    Reminds me more of Vanessa Williams. Nice song.

Thats what I love about this site. It keeps throwing up things I never knew. For example, I just got 12 "Chain Reaction on a U.K. white lable PROMO, with mixes I have never heard before. For NOTHING. It was, included in my purchase of her Im Still Waiting UK Album, that I already had, but past its sell by date. Would not play all the way through. Total cost £2.....Pauloxxxx

I wish for the sake of Diana Ross fans and Supremes fans that #1 Dance meant something........but it really doesn't. It means it got club play but unless it went to #1 Pop like Upside Down or high into the reaches of the R & B Chart like The Boss, #1 Dance doesn't mean much.

He's My Man didn't sell squat and Take Me Higher,the single, might've sold 100,000 copies if it was lucky.

smark21 Guest
    How well did the Take Me Higher album and its singles do in the UK? Force Behind the Power and its singles did quite well in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    How well did the Take Me Higher album and its singles do in the UK? Force Behind the Power and its singles did quite well in the UK.
    TAKE ME HIGHER [[the single) hit #32. The album hit #10.

I'M GONE hit #36.

I WILL SURVIVE hit #14.

What were the Take Me Higher USA numbers? I have to go downstairs to get the books, but they weren't spectacular numbers.

What were the Take Me Higher USA numbers? I have to go downstairs to get the books, but they weren't spectacular numbers.
    Take Me Higher [[the single) peaked at #77 on Billboard's R&B chart, #114 on the pop chart.

Take Me Higher [[the album) peaked at #38 on Billbaord's R&B chart, #114 on the pop chart.

If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right peaked at #67 on the R&B chart

There might be some Adult Contemporary chart positions as well, but I don't have those stats.

That was a nice track, but I liked Voice of the Heart the best on that album, followed closely by the title track and Gone.