[REMOVE ADS]

"STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE" - The Well-Known--& Now Good Quality--Outdoor Video/'65

This is the best print of this familiar video that I've seen, so it seemed very worth posting--especially for those who may never have seen it. Many, many thanks to Turb01501 for posting this print on YouTube.

There's an awful lot to take in here: The opening arm movement in the car that strangely comes off more like a Nazi salute; the outdoor setting; the casual attire; The Supremes being wonderful, of course; the guy Diana approaches who seems to give her the cold-shoulder by not taking her hands; and last--but definitely not least--the guy in the control room just totally caught up in the music and performance.

If you haven't seen this clip before, I think you'll enjoy it.

Perhaps someone might know where the clip was shot. From the dancers in the background, my guess is SWINGIN' TIME--but that's only a guess.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KmZBgfEKY

It's from a June , 1965 CBSTV special called It's What's Happening, Baby! hosted by Murray the K. It's also on the Supremes' Reflections DVD. There was some business at the start of the performance, which led to the Stop! in the car. It was filmed at a park in Detroit, but I don't think it was the park on the river. Someone told me possibly a park past Highland Park along Woodward Ave. But I don't really know. I do know you can still buy Reflections: The Definitive Performances.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.

If I remember correctly there was some controversy over the white teenagers and black teenagers in the back dancing among one another. I love on the last verse when Mary and Florence are doing the "oooooh"s and Florence looks at someone and gives them the sexiest look ever and then just starts bursting out laughing.

I always thought it was shot at River Rouge Park.

Marv, my mom said River Rouge Park. She said it looked like that particular park...lots of trees. You both are probably right. They filmed all over Detroit for that TV special. Marvin Gaye was filmed on Bob-lo Island, Martha and the Vandellas were filmed at a Ford plant, theFour Tops were filmed at the Detroit Zoo , I think.

Didn't know about the CBS special. Thanks Kamasu. And for the DVD info.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Marv, my mom said River Rouge Park. She said it looked like that particular park...lots of trees. You both are probably right. They filmed all over Detroit for that TV special. Marvin Gaye was filmed on Bob-lo Island, Martha and the Vandellas were filmed at a Ford plant, theFour Tops were filmed at the Detroit Zoo , I think.
    I think your Mom is right. My parents use to take us there in summer when we were kids. Bob-Lo Island was mostly on school field trips and Belle Isle was family reunions and hanging out when we got older.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Didn't know about the CBS special. Thanks Kamasu. And for the DVD info.
    Methuselah, it was a part of Lyndon Johnson's "War On Poverty" program and the Youth Summer Jobs initiative in the sixties. I have vague memories now of seeing this program on TV when it originally aired. It aired at least twice back in 1965.

Thanks Marv. I can't believe I completely missed it but somehow I managed to. And I was always on the lookout for Supremes TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Thanks Marv. I can't believe I completely missed it but somehow I managed to. And I was always on the lookout for Supremes TV.
    Well you didn't miss a whole lot! LOL! I hadn't seen this show since the original air date until a visit to the Museum of Broadcast History in NYC back in the 80's. I viewed it and several more long long forgotten TV memories.

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    Yep....Saw this before! Like another poster said this was from It's what's happening baby.
    It's nice to see them perform in "street clothes" instead of dresses all the time.

Pretty amazing vidoe-Diana singing a love song to a white boy initially- in '65. They just dont get enough credit for their role in civil rights change--HUGE. And Mary just such a great dancer. Diana sometimes puts her left arm out for Stop-was that typical-left or right?

White, southern politicians raised all kinds of hell abut that TV special that the government paid for. A lot of southerners felt the show promoted integrationism. It was a scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Pretty amazing vidoe-Diana singing a love song to a white boy initially- in '65. They just dont get enough credit for their role in civil rights change--HUGE. And Mary just such a great dancer. Diana sometimes puts her left arm out for Stop-was that typical-left or right?
    I'll give Diane one thing, she's got some brass balls to do something like that. Good for her!

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I'll give Diane one thing, she's got some brass balls to do something like that. Good for her!
    She does get some credit for this one.