[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The "new" Supremes / Diana Ross [[solo) on Ed Sullivan

Has it ever been discussed why the "new" Supremes only made one appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show and Diana Ross [[solo) never appeared?

In the 60's, Diana and Mary, Flo/Cindy DOMINATED the show; after Diana left the Supremes in 1970, the Ed Sullivan Show was still on the air for another 12 - 18 months; in that time, The Supremes would have been on 5-6 times.

So what gives?

Ed Sullivan was cancelled in March of 1971. The show was no longer considered hip so CBS canned it and a lot of other old favorites like The Beverly Hillbillies to change it's audience. The network wanted younger viewers. Diana Ross had her own TV special in 1971 and was beginning work on LSTB.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-ed-sullivan-show/episodes/

Several Motown artists did appear even until March 1971 including the Jackson 5, Temptations, Gladys Knight &the Pips, Four Tops , and Rare Earth.

No guess as to why the Supremes didn't continue with Ed, as they were often on television in the early 70s. By comparison, Diana did very little television once she became a solo artist, and usually it was something big, like a TV special or promotion for a film. That first year, she only appeared on the Merv Griffin show.
    Last edited by reese; 10-01-2013 at 03:14 PM.

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    That always struck me as odd
    For example look at The Jackson 5 they were on every program in the 70's.
    You would think Gordy would have done the same for Diana but maybe he feared overexposure?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    No guess as to why the Supremes didn't continue with Ed, as they were often on television in the early 70s. By comparison, Diana did very little television once she became a solo artist, and usually it was something big, like a TV special or promotion for a film. That first year, she only appeared on the Merv Griffin show.

Gordy didn't fear overexposure for Diana Ross, but he probably wanted the same kind of mega superstardom like Elvis, Barbra Streisand and a few elite others who didn't need constant exposure on TV. Diana Ross was not the kind of entertainer who could be booked on Flip Wilson's weekly variety show. She was the star of her own TV spectaculars , and if anything, Flip Wilson would be booked as her guest.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-02-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    No guess as to why the Supremes didn't continue with Ed, as they were often on television in the early 70s.
    I've always wondered if Ed Sullivan's uncertainty/confusion about the individual Supreme's names after that performance [[mentioned by Mary in 'Supreme Faith') might have had something to do with it.
    Perhaps someone from Motown said something negative to someone on Ed's staff or Ed something negative to a Motown representative, creating a tension that would need time to heal- a time which did not come before his show was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Diana Ross was not the kind of entertainer who could be booked on Flip Wilson's weekly variety show. She was the star of her own TV spectaculars , and if anything, Flip Wilson would be booked as her guest.
    you mean like the time she appeared on the Midnight Special, and Dick Clark's Live Wednesday? And then there's the Muppet Show. So let me get this straight... she's too big for Flip Wilson, but not too big for Kermit the Frog? Ok.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 10-02-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Those TV appearances came after Diana Ross had been nominated for and lost the Academy Award and they were touted as special or rare events. Gordy's plan had worked and the game had changed. She wanted to do the Muppet Show, which came as she was about to leave or had left Motown. Maybe Flip Wilson didn't like her; After all he was Mary Wilson's friend, which might explain why she never appeared on his show. I love a good conspiracy theory.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Those TV appearances came after Diana Ross had been nominated and lost the Academy Award and they were touted as special or rare events. Gordy's plan had worked and the game had changed. She wanted to do the Muppet Show, which came as she was about to leave or had left Motown. Maybe Flip Wilson didn't like her, which might explain why she never appeared on his show.
    This is so true. She didn't just appear on the Midnight Special...She hosted The Midnight Special. She did the Dick Clark special because this was a big event for TV and Dick Clark and she really did like him. She also always wanted to do Soul Train but Motown wouldn't allow it. As soon as she left Motown she appeared on Soul Train with a show dedicated to her.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 10-02-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    This is so true. She didn't just appear on the Midnight Special...She hosted The Midnight Special. She did the Dick Clark special because this was a big event for TV and Dick Clark and she really did like him. She also always wanted to do Soul Train but Motown wouldn't allow it. As soon as she left Motown she appeared on Soul Train with a show dedicated to her.
    Also, the Dick Clark appearance was special, as it was the first episode of his new live series. It was mentioned that she had to run over from her own opening at the Universal Ampitheatre to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I've always wondered if Ed Sullivan's uncertainty/confusion about the individual Supreme's names after that performance [[mentioned by Mary in 'Supreme Faith') might have had something to do with it.
    Perhaps someone from Motown said something negative to someone on Ed's staff or Ed something negative to a Motown representative, creating a tension that would need time to heal- a time which did not come before his show was cancelled.
    Looking at the appearance itself, I don't think Ed's confusing of the names was any different that what he did with other acts. I can't imagine Motown saying anything negative to Ed, as good as he had been to the Supremes and other Motown acts over the years. And it could only help Ed to keep popular acts on his show as his ratings were starting to drop.

It could just be when it came to both Diana and the new Supremes, Motown felt they wanted to start fresh, and leave Sullivan behind.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    It wasn't a special, it was his new TV variety series... and yes, she was on the first episode, but that series is remembered for one thing, and that is the first appearance of Connie Francis after she left the business following her rape. Dick Clark broke down and cried on national TV after she got through performing, and the rest of the country cried right along with him. I know me and my mother did when we watched it that night.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    It wasn't a special, it was his new TV variety series... and yes, she was on the first episode, but that series is remembered for one thing, and that is the first appearance of Connie Francis after she left the business following her rape. Dick Clark broke down and cried on national TV after she got through performing, and the rest of the country cried right along with him. I know me and my mother did when we watched it that night.
    You are right it was the first episode of his new TV variety show. I could hardly wait to see it. We had friends over and my heart was pounding in anticipation of Diana and she nailed it. I don't remember the rest of the show about Connie Francis. I do love Connie Francis now but back then I was a teenager and Diana was all that mattered.

RossHolloway Guest
    So what was Diana's first tv appearance/performance post-Supreme's in 1970?

I saw that show that night in September 1978. It was anti climatic to me. She was obviously trying too hard and the production seemed overblown for television.

Regarding the Ed Sullivan Show. I like millions watched it with my family throughout the 60's and by the time the 70's rolled around, it was becoming stale. Still I continued to watch all the way up to the end in 1971. Not until now did I ever wonder why the Supremes were not on there past their appearance in early 1970. There were lots of newer shows, hipper shows with The Flip Wilson Show being one of them. The Supremes did not have to be on Ed Sullivan anymore to be seen by millions. Same goes for Diane.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-02-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I saw that night in September 1978....The production seemed overblown for television.
    After all these years, we can't expect anything positive from you about Diana. Overblown for television does not describe this performance for me. I think it is her best TV performance of MOUNTAIN. Orchrestra , strings, chorus, the whole nine yards. Dick rolled out the red carpet for her. Letterman does it for Darlene Love every year. And Letterman recently did it for Gladys Knight when she debuted her new song on his show with a full orchrestra.

These "full blown" performances are appreciated by a lot of people who can't see the performers live.

Marv, made a good point. By the early 1970s, there were newer and hipper TV shows for artists like the Supremes and the Jackson 5 to get exposure. Ed Sullivan was no longer the only game in town. He got huge ratings in the 1950s and early 1960s because he didn't have much competition. You either watched Ed Sullivan or Lil' Joe and Hoss on Bonanza or you went to bed. Because Ed Sullivan demanded the best black performers, he got huge ratings. But soon, there was competition from the Hollywood Palace, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Red Skelton and other variety programs that Blacks could be seen.
    Does anyone remember that after Jean Terrell and the Supremes made their debut on Ed Sullivan, he began booking other female groups like the Three Degrees and the Blossoms? The Three Degrees were on the Sullivan show twice in the early Seventies. What happened to the Supremes' exclusive with Ed?
    FLIP Wilson was one of the first black performers to have his own network TV variety show and his popularity and ratings were bigger than Ed Sullivan's. It became better to be on his show. Another TV show the Supremes did not appear on was the Carol Burnett Show. She only booked traditional black acts like Ella Fitzgerald and Sammy Davis Jr. It was years before Burnett had younger blacks like Melba Moore, the Jacksons and the Pointer Sisters on her show.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-02-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I saw that show that night in September 1978. It was anti climatic to me. She was obviously trying too hard and the production seemed overblown for television.
    lolololololololol. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    So what was Diana's first tv appearance/performance post-Supreme's in 1970?
    The Merv Griffin Show. She sang REACH OUT AND TOUCH and AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    After all these years, we can't expect anything positive from you about Diana. Overblown for television does not describe this performance for me. I think it is her best TV performance of MOUNTAIN. Orchrestra , strings, chorus, the whole nine yards. Dick rolled out the red carpet for her. Letterman does it for Darlene Love every year. And Letterman recently did it for Gladys Knight when she debuted her new song on his show with a full orchrestra.

These "full blown" performances are appreciated by a lot of people who can't see the performers live.
    I hate to break it to you, Milven, but Dick Clark had that full blown orchestra and chorus and whole 9 yards for everyone who appeared on that show. that was the whole concept, a big, spectacular, awards show type of performance that you could see on a weekly basis. It was a great show, and I felt it might have been more successful if it had been more music oriented, and left off the comedians and stunt magicians, etc. As far as Diana's performance, it's very good. I know Marv said it was overblown, but you know me... I LOVE overblown. I only had a couple of issues. First, she should ahve worn something other than a black dress, as she blended in with the stage and set too much, and I felt her spoken parts of the song were far too breathy and overly melodramatic. I don't care for spoken parts in songs, anyway.. but her breathless overexaggerated delivery on that part was kind of ridiculous. The singing portions were great! I mentioned Connie Francis' appearance earlier, the entire thing used to be on youtube, but it's not anymore... here you can see the end of it starting at 1:30, full orchestra, the whole bit. And I also want to point out that Connie got a standing O.. Diana didn't.

smark21 Guest
    Dick Clark's variety show was cancelled after 13 weeks due to low ratings. It was up against hit shows in The Jeffersons on CBS and 8 is Enough on ABC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2...ision_schedule
    Last edited by smark21; 10-03-2013 at 07:53 AM.

I hate to break it to you, Milven, but Dick Clark had that full blown orchestra and chorus and whole 9 yards for everyone who appeared on that show. that was the whole concept, a big, spectacular, awards show type of performance that you could see on a weekly basis.
    Thanks Jill. I watched the show every week for the short time it was on and you are right. The full blown orchrestra and chorus was the rule , not the exception for Diana.

... As far as Diana's performance, it's very good. I know Marv said it was overblown, but you know me... I LOVE overblown. I only had a couple of issues. First, she should ahve worn something other than a black dress, as she blended in with the stage and set too much, and I felt her spoken parts of the song were far too breathy and overly melodramatic. I don't care for spoken parts in songs, anyway.. but her breathless overexaggerated delivery on that part was kind of ridiculous. The singing portions were great!
    I'm not much into fashion and so I have no comment about her black dress, although I thought she looked good. As for her spoken part of the song, after I heard a version of the same arrangement by Vikki Carr, I stopped liking Diana's spoken part. I'm definately in the minority here with that opinion, but I think with Diana's acting skills, she could have done a different and better take on the spoken part.

I mentioned Connie Francis' appearance earlier, the entire thing used to be on youtube, but it's not anymore... here you can see the end of it starting at 1:30, full orchestra, the whole bit. And I also want to point out that Connie got a standing O.. Diana didn't.
    Thanks for posting this little clip. I remember the show, but don't remember her being on the same show as Diana. Yep , there is the full blown orchrestra for Connie too.
    It was nice to see her performing again. I had been a fan of hers since Who's Sorry Now

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Dick Clark's variety show was cancelled after 13 weeks due to low ratings. It was up against hit shows in The Jeffersons on CBS and 8 is Enough on ABC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2...ision_schedule
    I thought it was a very good series, albeit a brief one. Subsequent weeks had guests such as Aretha [[dressed like an Egyptian queen), Dionne Warwick, and Sarah Dash singing SINNER MAN in one of her first solo appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thanks Jill. I watched the show every week for the short time it was on and you are right. The full blown orchrestra and chorus was the rule , not the exception for Diana.

I'm not much into fashion and so I have no comment about her black dress, although I thought she looked good. As for her spoken part of the song, after I heard a version of the same arrangement by Vikki Carr, I stopped liking Diana's spoken part. I'm definately in the minority here with that opinion, but I think with Diana's acting skills, she could have done a different and better take on the spoken part.

Thanks for posting this little clip. I remember the show, but don't remember her being on the same show as Diana. Yep , there is the full blown orchrestra for Connie too.
    It was nice to see her performing again. I had been a fan of hers since Who's Sorry Now
    She wasn't on the same episode as Diana, Diana was the "headliner" of the first episode, and Connie was the "headliner" of another episode.

Kind of a bizarre question for Clark to ask her--she had been traumatized!!

Motown was trying to bill Diana as the black Barbra Streisand,Barbra really didn't do tv,a lot of people thought Barbra was such a big star,was the reason she didn't do tv,[[wrong)that was a bad move on Motown,Diana should have been doing lots of tv,she had a lot to prove,she was no longer a SUPREME,part of a group,Motown put the push behind Diana,it didn't matter,at the time The Supremes Mary Cindy and new Supreme Jean Terrell were doing better then Diana,as fare as Diana bein' too big for The Flip Wilson Show,really? lol,now that's TOO FUNNY,i 'll say this again,no female singer at Motown,was gonna out shine Diana,no matter what,Berry Gordy wasn't having it.[[NEVER)Please stay positive
    Last edited by REDHOT; 10-03-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Good observation RedHot, Gordy was feeding America Diana doses in small amounts to get the hunger for and the demand up for her.

As far as Sullivan and the Supremes, likely Sullivan lost interest in the group. I love Jean Terrell, she remains my favorite singer and favorite Supreme. But face it, she couldn't handle the adult material that Diana could spit out. She couldn't have done Fats Waller, Thou Swell or I Get A Kick out Of You the way Ross. Ross even got away with tripping on that last song. LOL.

Diana Ross was too big of a star to have appeared on the Flip Wilson Show. She didn't need to. Most of her rivals like Dionne Warwick, Lola Falana, Aretha, Gladys Knight and Leslie Uggams did, but they weren't on Diana's level. Chuckle if you want, But we've pretty much agreed that Motown, Shelly Berger , Berry Gordy or whoever desired a different kind of star power, respect or stature for Diana Ross and they were SERIOUS. Gordy saw her as being equal to or just as good as Streisand and Liza Minnelli, and neither of them appeared on Flip Wilson or the Ed Sullivan show much. Streisand did at the early part of her career before she starred in her own TV specials and films, which is exactly what Diana Ross did too.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Motown was trying to bill Diana as the black Barbra Streisand,Barbra really didn't do tv,a lot of people thought Barbra was such a big star,was the reason she didn't do tv,[[wrong)that was a bad move on Motown,Diana should have been doing lots of tv,she had a lot to prove,she was no longer a SUPREME,part of a group,Motown put the push behind Diana,it didn't matter,at the time The Supremes Mary Cindy and new Supreme Jean Terrell were doing better then Diana,as fare as Diana bein' too big for The Flip Wilson Show,really? lol,now that's TOO FUNNY,i 'll say this again,no female singer at Motown,was gonna out shine Diana,no matter what,Berry Gordy wasn't having it.[[NEVER)Please stay positive
    I saw both Lena Horne and Aretha Franklin on the Flip Wilson Show.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Good observation RedHot, Gordy was feeding America Diana doses in small amounts to get the hunger for and the demand up for her.

As far as Sullivan and the Supremes, likely Sullivan lost interest in the group. I love Jean Terrell, she remains my favorite singer and favorite Supreme. But face it, she couldn't handle the adult material that Diana could spit out. She couldn't have done Fats Waller, Thou Swell or I Get A Kick out Of You the way Ross. Ross even got away with tripping on that last song. LOL.
    and Diane could have never handled the very adult, "Beyond Myself"!

Of all the songs Jean did, Beyond Myself was a screechville mess; even she thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Of all the songs Jean did, Beyond Myself was a screechville mess; even she thought so.
    It's one of my favorites. Gorgeous vocal, very dramatic and very complex.

There were many good songs on that album; it just came out at the wrong time and was poorly handled by the group and Motown. If they had dropped the key of that particular song a little bit, Jean wouldn't have had to yell.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I love Jean Terrell, she remains my favorite singer and favorite Supreme. But face it, she couldn't handle the adult material that Diana could spit out. She couldn't have done Fats Waller, Thou Swell or I Get A Kick out Of You the way Ross. Ross even got away with tripping on that last song. LOL.

I'm not so sure about that. When Jean began 'If My Friends Could See Me Now" solo and segued into "Nothing Can Stop Us Now" interpolated with parts of "Once In A Lifetime" now joined by Mary & Cindy, she did so in a way reminiscent of Diana. If they had continued with the Sullivan circuit, these 'New Supremes' [[as Ed Sullivan introduces them) would likely have done a bit of Broadway/American songbook followed by their latest single. From her first [[and regrettably, only) appearance on Ed Sullivan's show, she certainly looked as if she had the goods to pull it off.
    On the other hand, I acknowledge that Jean would likely rebel if she were told on too many occasions to 'do it the way Diana did it' or to do the Broadway/American Songbook selections Diana did on Sullivan with Mary & Cindy. But I believe that Jean might have welcomed the challenge of singing again as she did on the Feb 1970 Sullivan with other newly arranged 'old songs' worked up into medleys.

supremester Guest
    A JMC nut told me they did 15 TV appearances through April 18, 1971. I can't imagine they were on that much, but I have no reason to doubt him. Ross did Merv Griffin in September '70, Tonight Show [[date unknown), sat in the audience losing The Grammy to Dionne, Make Room For Granddaddy and Diana! As for Ed Sullivan, I can't imagine that ED was unhappy with JMC's performance, so it might have been scheduling conflicts, maybe Motown wasn't feeling Ed's aging demographic, maybe Ed wasn't feeling JMC. He WAS feeling Miss Ross as he attended her opening at The Waldorf in '70 & '71 - plus he did a tribute to Diana Ross on his swan song special "The Sullivan Years" and, until this moment, I didn't notice the word "Supremes" was not uttered in the voice-over once. "We were able to watch Diana Ross' road to stardom every step of the way." Maybe he didn't like JMC but IMHO there could not have been a better debut for The Rossless Supremes. Maybe they were too good so Gordy pulled them from Ed's show so that they wouldn't sellout another new single across the country overnight like in DreamGirl. Personally, I think it's either Ed was over JMC [[he WAS a Rosser and oddly, this was Cindy's only Sullivan appearance without a gown change and was also the shortest amount of airtime.) Maybe scheduling, but that doesn't make much sense. They were doing The Copa 3x a year and could easily have done Ed's show and another song from the act. I would have loved to hear them sing Exodus.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    A JMC nut told me they did 15 TV appearances through April 18, 1971. I can't imagine they were on that much, but I have no reason to doubt him. Ross did Merv Griffin in September '70, Tonight Show [[date unknown), sat in the audience losing The Grammy to Dionne, Make Room For Granddaddy and Diana! As for Ed Sullivan, I can't imagine that ED was unhappy with JMC's performance, so it might have been scheduling conflicts, maybe Motown wasn't feeling Ed's aging demographic, maybe Ed wasn't feeling JMC. He WAS feeling Miss Ross as he attended her opening at The Waldorf in '70 & '71 - plus he did a tribute to Diana Ross on his swan song special "The Sullivan Years" and, until this moment, I didn't notice the word "Supremes" was not uttered in the voice-over once. "We were able to watch Diana Ross' road to stardom every step of the way." Maybe he didn't like JMC but IMHO there could not have been a better debut for The Rossless Supremes. Maybe they were too good so Gordy pulled them from Ed's show so that they wouldn't sellout another new single across the country overnight like in DreamGirl. Personally, I think it's either Ed was over JMC [[he WAS a Rosser and oddly, this was Cindy's only Sullivan appearance without a gown change and was also the shortest amount of airtime.) Maybe scheduling, but that doesn't make much sense. They were doing The Copa 3x a year and could easily have done Ed's show and another song from the act. I would have loved to hear them sing Exodus.

1: Ed Sullivan [[Up the Ladder, If they Could See Me Now)
    2: Andy Williams [[Up the Ladder, Everybody's Got The Right)
    3: Festival At Ford's Theatre
    4: Smokey Robinson special
    5: This Is Tom Jones
    6. Pearl Bailey Show
    7. Tonight Show
    8. Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour
    9. Flip Wilson
    10. David Frost Show
    11. Merv Griffin Show

I might have missed a couple.

Sullivan was very good at his job, and I love the early Jean records , but she was hardly telegenic, she didn't play to the camera as Ross did, she just kind of stood there, might be good singing, not very good television, Jean was emanating singing power, but she sadly wouldn't or couldn't transmit the STAR power that Diana Ross could and can do in her sleep!

Yes,The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean did sang Exodus,in they live show's,Jean's lead is AMAZING,and Mary and Cindy's background harmonies,was the icing on the cake,THE BEST,Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Sullivan was very good at his job, and I love the early Jean records , but she was hardly telegenic, she didn't play to the camera as Ross did, she just kind of stood there, might be good singing, not very good television, Jean was emanating singing power, but she sadly wouldn't or couldn't transmit the STAR power that Diana Ross could and can do in her sleep!
    I always felt Mary was the most telegenic of them all. She always caught my eye from the very beginning, first, because she was the prettiest, and second, because her moves were always so perfect and graceful, and her smile so bright and genuine. You knew beyond a doubt that she truly LOVED what she was doing.

Yes Mary certainly was the most beautiful and telegenic IMO, and clearly the best dancer. Ive also felt Cindy's beauty got overshadowed. I had a friend not into Motown who went crazy for the Webb album when he hear it, especially Jean on Beyond MYself, which still gives me chills.

Luke, exactly where do you get these chills?

Well said Jillfoster,

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Well said Jillfoster,
    And it was very positive I might add!

Penny

Mary Wilson was always so beautiful [[and hot!) it was ridiculous! LOL! It was she that gave the Supremes their visual appeal from the very beginning and all the way through......

Ha ha!..now THAT'S Funny!.. we're talking about television, and by mid 1965 70% of screen time was [[rightfully) devoted to Ross.. the others?...not so much, an occasional glimpse/smile here and there..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Ha ha!..now THAT'S Funny!.. we're talking about television, and by mid 1965 70% of screen time was [[rightfully) devoted to Ross.. the others?...not so much, an occasional glimpse/smile here and there..
    I guess that's why Mary is standing in front here:

Ain't no 70% here:

Say it isn't so!!!

so sad..trying to re write settled history.. for whom?.. it is what it is.. The Beatles let Ringo sing once in a while too..