[REMOVE ADS]

Why Do So Many Articles Have the Wrong Facts In Them About THE SUPREMES ?

Just finished an interesting article about Mary Wilson. But like so many articles, it contains wrong info about the Supremes.

After The Supremes disbanded in 1977, Wilson formed the New Supremes with Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell releasing three top 10 hits including “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” “Stoned Love,” and “River Deep, Mountain High.”

And , as with every Mary Wilson article or interview the obligatory mention of her upcoming CD is mentioned. The CD that she has been promoting for ten years as coming out "next month" or "this summer" is now coming out at "the end of the year" Of course, it doesn't mention the end of which year.

Wilson is ramping up her own career again with a new CD coming out at the end of the year. She has already released two singles, “Life’s Been Good To Me,” and “My Darling Mother,” both available on iTunes and Amazon

When this CD finally comes out, does anyone know if it will be a physical CD or just available for download?

Full article is here

http://www.oaoa.com/people/entertain...a4bcf6878.html

The Supremes are not unique to this problem. Pick up an Enquirer and you'll see much worse! But I understand your frustration. One simple fact check could see that the "New Supremes" were formed in 1079, not 1977. And if I'm not mistaken, "River Deep" made it to #14, not the top 10.

Part of it is the artist. They need to perk up the career to try and continue getting bookings as they age, especially when you are an artist whose career really amounts to that ~ bookings and living off the success of a group and the success of a lead singer that isn't you. So you are not going to talk about the failure to get a contract in the 80's and 90's, the lack of booking or lack of money. It would be counterproductive.

But they all do it; even if they have 10 #1 records.

No one wants to talk about their problems, foibles and dark side.

Milven - It's always an annoyance, that's for sure. But even more frustrating and head-scratching: When the artists, songwriters, and those who were there themselves get some of the simple, basic facts all turned around, exaggerated, or flat-out incorrect. It just starts to raise doubts about anything the person might be discussing. Whether intentional or not, it doesn't 'play'--like the needle skating and scratching right across the record. Ouch.

Many times a writer is assigned to write a story about a subject or an individual that they know nothing about. There is not enough time to do proper research and the artist will often send out press material that contains inaccurate information; or the writer looks for background information to flesh out the story on the internet, which isn't always 100 percent reliable.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Many times a writer is assigned to write a story about a subject or an individual they know nothing about. There is not enough time to do proper research and the artist wjll often send out press material that contains inaccurate information
    Good point.

We also need to remember that these people are imperfect; life has not always been easy for them either; so they tailor their responses. Nobody but the real fans know the detail of what is written most of the time.

In Mary's defence and favor, how would any of us feel if we were the person left behind by the lead singer and the company, never being able to land a decent recording contract and never having a hit? It is a tough spot to be in. That she managed to carve a career out of the Supremes hits and continues to sing as she nears 70 years of age is a credit to her survival instinct.

Ant, you need to edit your post, I know you meant to say "1970" lol

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    The Supremes are not unique to this problem. Pick up an Enquirer and you'll see much worse! But I understand your frustration. One simple fact check could see that the "New Supremes" were formed in 1079, not 1977. And if I'm not mistaken, "River Deep" made it to #14, not the top 10.
    All the ladies look good for being nearly 1000 years old.

smark21 Guest
    I’m sure Mary likes to say her album is coming out soon as it makes it look like her career is going very well in the recording world. These articles are pitched to the local market to get people to come out to buy tickets for the local concert. OTOH, wasn’t River Deep Mountain High a top 10 R and B hit for JMC/4 Tops? So it’s not stretching a point too far.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Ant, you need to edit your post, I know you meant to say "1970" lol
    Oh, no I meant 1079. You see, these were the Supreme Ladies of the Lake. King Arthur was the owner of Round Table Records, and their first hits after the departure of Lady Guinevere was "[[Sword In the) Stoned Love" and "Up the Drawbridge to the Roof."

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Just finished an interesting article about Mary Wilson. But like so many articles, it contains wrong info about the Supremes.

After The Supremes disbanded in 1977, Wilson formed the New Supremes with Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell releasing three top 10 hits including “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” “Stoned Love,” and “River Deep, Mountain High.”

And , as with every Mary Wilson article or interview the obligatory mention of her upcoming CD is mentioned. The CD that she has been promoting for ten years as coming out "next month" or "this summer" is now coming out at "the end of the year" Of course, it doesn't mention the end of which year.

Wilson is ramping up her own career again with a new CD coming out at the end of the year. She has already released two singles, “Life’s Been Good To Me,” and “My Darling Mother,” both available on iTunes and Amazon

When this CD finally comes out, does anyone know if it will be a physical CD or just available for download?

Full article is here

http://www.oaoa.com/people/entertain...a4bcf6878.html
    Mary Wilson may be waiting for her movie Golden Shoe to come out so she can promote her new CD with the movie on Entertainment Tonight and Wendy Williams and The Talk and the View and the Tonight Show and Jimmy Kimmel and Conrad O Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Oh, no I meant 1079. You see, these were the Supreme Ladies of the Lake. King Arthur was the owner of Round Table Records, and their first hits after the departure of Lady Guinevere was "[[Sword In the) Stoned Love" and "Up the Drawbridge to the Roof."
    LOL oh Lord...

When The Supremes appeared on HULLABALOO in May of 1965 to perform BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN, Frankie Avalon introduced them by saying it was destined to be their 6th gold record. Was this a slip? An error? A bit of a stretch? Or was he merely including their WDOLG album, too? Hard to know.

Since then, articles, interviews, and books have played fast and loose with the facts. Fortunately, various voices are often heard here on SDF that set things straight and add very welcome clarity. Opinions are often interesting and enjoyable to read; the personal bickering and nastiness that sometimes ensues from members seems pointless, needless, and certainly slows things down; but those who present facts and substantiated information and insight--well, you provide a breath of fresh air because you help the truth to speak for itself. Much appreciated.