[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sinead O'Connor open letter to Miley Cyrus

We've talked many times about the sad state of pop music today, and Sinead has the onions to say something about it, a fascinating, insightful, and ballsy letter:

Dear Miley,

I wasn’t going to write this letter, but today i’ve been dodging phone calls from various newspapers who wished me to remark upon your having said in Rolling Stone your “Wrecking Ball” video was designed to be similar to the one for “Nothing Compares” … So this is what I need to say … And it is said in the spirit of motherliness and with love.

I am extremely concerned for you that those around you have led you to believe, or encouraged you in your own belief, that it is in any way “cool” to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos. It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether it’s the music business or yourself doing the pimping.

Nothing but harm will come in the long run, from allowing yourself to be exploited, and it is absolutely NOT in ANY way an empowerment of yourself or any other young women, for you to send across the message that you are to be valued [[even by you) more for your sexual appeal than your obvious talent.

I am happy to hear I am somewhat of a role model for you and I hope that because of that you will pay close attention to what I am telling you.

The music business doesn’t give a sh– about you, or any of us. They will prostitute you for all you are worth, and cleverly make you think its what YOU wanted.. and when you end up in rehab as a result of being prostituted, “they” will be sunning themselves on their yachts in Antigua, which they bought by selling your body and you will find yourself very alone.

None of the men oggling you give a sh– about you either, do not be fooled. Many’s the woman mistook lust for love. If they want you sexually that doesn’t mean they give a f— about you. All the more true when you unwittingly give the impression you don’t give much of a f— about yourself. And when you employ people who give the impression they don’t give much of a f— about you either. No one who cares about you could support your being pimped.. and that includes you yourself.

Yes, I’m suggesting you don’t care for yourself. That has to change. You ought be protected as a precious young lady by anyone in your employ and anyone around you, including you. This is a dangerous world. We don’t encourage our daughters to walk around naked in it because it makes them prey for animals and less than animals, a distressing majority of whom work in the music industry and its associated media.

You are worth more than your body or your sexual appeal. The world of showbiz doesn’t see things that way, they like things to be seen the other way, whether they are magazines who want you on their cover, or whatever.. Don’t be under any illusions.. ALL of them want you because they’re making money off your youth and your beauty.. which they could not do except for the fact your youth makes you blind to the evils of show business. If you have an innocent heart you can’t recognise those who do not.

I repeat, you have enough talent that you don’t need to let the music business make a prostitute of you. You shouldn’t let them make a fool of you either. Don’t think for a moment that any of them give a flying f— about you. They’re there for the money.. we’re there for the music. It has always been that way and it will always be that way. The sooner a young lady gets to know that, the sooner she can be REALLY in control.

You also said in Rolling Stone that your look is based on mine. The look I chose, I chose on purpose at a time when my record company were encouraging me to do what you have done. I felt I would rather be judged on my talent and not my looks. I am happy that I made that choice, not least because I do not find myself on the proverbial rag heap now that I am almost 47 yrs of age.. which unfortunately many female artists who have based their image around their sexuality, end up on when they reach middle age.

Real empowerment of yourself as a woman would be to in future refuse to exploit your body or your sexuality in order for men to make money from you. I needn’t even ask the question.. I’ve been in the business long enough to know that men are making more money than you are from you getting naked. It’s really not at all cool. And it’s sending dangerous signals to other young women. Please in future say no when you are asked to prostitute yourself. Your body is for you and your boyfriend. It isn’t for every spunk-spewing dirtbag on the net, or every greedy record company executive to buy his mistresses diamonds with.

As for the shedding of the Hannah Montana image.. whoever is telling you getting naked is the way to do that does absolutely NOT respect your talent, or you as a young lady. Your records are good enough for you not to need any shedding of Hannah Montana. She’s waaaaaaay gone by now.. Not because you got naked but because you make great records.

Whether we like it or not, us females in the industry are role models and as such we have to be extremely careful what messages we send to other women. The message you keep sending is that it’s somehow cool to be prostituted.. it’s so not cool Miley.. it’s dangerous. Women are to be valued for so much more than their sexuality. we aren’t merely objects of desire. I would be encouraging you to send healthier messages to your peers.. that they and you are worth more than what is currently going on in your career. Kindly fire any motherf—er who hasn’t expressed alarm, because they don’t care about you.

Wise words from a person who knows a thing or two about being used then discarded. Hopefully Miley takes this advice to heart.

Lest we forget that Sinead O Conner ripped a photo of the Pope up on Saturday night live which probably did more damage to her career than Miley twerking on TV which I thought was a hoot, Mileys young and expressing herself and 100 time wealthier than Sinead O conner.

Roberta

Check out Mileys latest photo shoot. It sure made me blush lol.

http://terrysdiary.com

Hmmmmm.... What would I want if I were Miley? To be super wealthy and much discussed in the media or to be working at McDonald's for above minimum wage but I got a nice uniform and my dignity?

Damnit give me the millions and I can buy my own McDonald's and make it dignified. And I can always become respected later on when I'm forty like Cher and Madonna did. Me really thinks Sinead O' Conner is trying to grab some publicity for herself by starting something with Miley.

And why are we discussing Miley on Soulful Detroit? Miley is everywhere in the media. She has lots of people talking about her already. Again, why do we need to discuss her on Soulful Detroit? She's not from Detroit; She ain't fine, has never cut anything soulful and isn't relevant to many here.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-04-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Cher is talking lots of Miley too; all because Cher has a new CD too.

All great publicity. It is what is expected of them by their "employers".

Ms. O'Connor speaks wise words, she's given Miley the truth as she experienced it herself, good for her for trying to educated a naiive little girl about the real music industry!
    Her wisdom and generosity in sharing that with Miley is what IS cool!

Right on!

S.S.

Before all of you heap tons of praise on Sinead O'Connor, remember that she is a joke. Why? A couple of years ago, she placed an ad on her Facebook account that she desperately wanted to find a mate, any man, have a relationship with her, except that it would have to include anal sex with her. This made worldwide news, too. Anyone remember this?

So, Ms. O'Connor, is not qualified to give anyone advice on how to conduct herself. In case you think i'm making it up: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_941808.html
    Last edited by soulster; 10-03-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Soulster,
    So even if that's true about O'Connor's personal life a woman in her late 40's what's that got to do with her pulling Miley's coat to shady operations of the music industry low life's and their practices? Any young aspiring recording artist needs to know this. They need to go into this business with their eyes open to all the shady practices before they make any decisions one way or another.

S.S.

If a drunk tells me that drinking will ruin my life, it is still sage advice. If O'Connor was wrong about anything that she said, I cannot find it. Cyrus has every right to make a fool of herself, but the trickle down impact of her representation of herself on others will be sad. Kids imitate their role models, that's almost an immutable fact of life. And the more publicity Cyrus gets for her behavior, the bolder her fans will become to behave in similar manner. It's unnecessary and it definitely should not be considered someone pushing the boundaries of art.

I will have to agree. SOC's life may not be one to idolize, but that doesn't take any power out of her words. No one can deny the truth in the letter SOC wrote. And in the end, that's all that matters.

I despise "public" letters. If she really wanted to reach out to Miley, she should have contacted Miley directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Soulster,
    So even if that's true about O'Connor's personal life a woman in her late 40's what's that got to do with her pulling Miley's coat to shady operations of the music industry low life's and their practices? Any young aspiring recording artist needs to know this. They need to go into this business with their eyes open to all the shady practices before they make any decisions one way or another.

S.S.
    It's hypocritical.

Ms. Cryus never asked Sinead O'Connor for advice. If she was serious, she would have contacted her privately, and not made a public spectacle of it, especially with her history.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-04-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I despise "public" letters. If she really wanted to reach out to Miley, she should have contacted Miley directly.
    Exactly!

I think the problem here is that people just don't like Miley's twerking and being naked in a video. People still have trouble accepting nudity or displays of sexual behavior. But, for some reason, they give the other person a pass on her very public desires for anal sex.

Soulster, if anybody turned on the VMAs expecting to see it, that would be one thing. Knowing who the audience was that night, it was a bit of grandstanding for the "new" Miley to debut at that time. Whether I'm comfortable with her behavior is not the point. Parents have the right to decide what their kids are exposed to and many of them lost it that night without warning.

Anybody that wants to see a stripper dancing can find it in any of thousands of available outlets. I guarantee you that not one person anticipated finding it during an awards show. In my opinion, she's not to be applauded for being uninhibited; she's to be chastised for being a blatant opportunist.

Did she really do anything that has never been done before on the MTV awards- except for a bad attempt at twerking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Soulster, if anybody turned on the VMAs expecting to see it, that would be one thing. Knowing who the audience was that night, it was a bit of grandstanding for the "new" Miley to debut at that time. Whether I'm comfortable with her behavior is not the point. Parents have the right to decide what their kids are exposed to and many of them lost it that night without warning.
    Quite the contrary. People tune into the MTV awards to see what the "controversial" performance of the year will be.

I'll disagree from the standpoint that while there have been faux controversial performances [[as this one is), it's not every year that someone goes over the line. The reason I consider it to be "faux controversy" is because the tabloid media talks about how outrageous it was even as they show it repeatedly at even earlier hours for even younger eyes to see. It was a ratings bananza for Extra, Entertainment Tonight, and Access Hollywood. However, I suggest that it was low hanging fruit for someone to go where she went. She's not seen by most as an "adult" or mature performer. Actually, to the contrary, she's seen by many as immature and somewhat wacky...

At first I had no problem with it, Miley is a grown woman now at least in age to do what she chooses for herself. I didn't see what the big deal was, many others do the same thing in video's and onstage.

On the other hand, she's getting a "free" education from O'Connor that I think was generous for O'Connor to take the time to educate Miley. O'Connor's truth and personal experience with the music business is right on. It is very important for Miley and others to take a close look at that. There is nothing else to say after that, that sage letter says it all. Miley and anyone else can make their choices to take it in account or foolishly ignore it.
    Younger generation minds may see it differently for now and see it another way later on.

S.S.

Miley is at the top of the charts; she is up there with Justin Bieber, just like Diana Ross was in 1964 and 1980.

She had a CD coming out, a single, she did this to make a splash.

Does SOC have a new CD coming out? Even if the words are wise, why are they public?

On the surface, it is fair to ask why it was made public. However, maybe she wasn't writing it to Cyrus, but to the next artist. You all know how this turns out in the end: For young female acts, this sort of performance will be expected because for every one that does not do it, there will be ten who will. It's like "putting out" for money. That's where O'Connor's words have merit. With that being said, it is a free country and people can make money however they choose, just as others can either support it or discourage it by how they spend their loot.

jobeterob,
    I guess you'd have to ask her that question.
    Maybe they are public to educate all young women and young artists everywhere to the practices of the music business. If so, then that's a good reason.

You all can argue it all day long, have fun!

All that's important is the truth is the truth and the beat still goes on the same way in the music business. The way it's always been. The Artist's are always on the losing end and that's truly sad.

You all got it! You can all run with it like in the insane Supreme threads, lol.............

HAVE BIG FUN!!!

S.S.

Miley responded , in essence she told O' Connor she appreciates the advice, but she's got it under control. She said she's not a veteran to show business, and she knows who she is and what she wants, so Sinead need not preach to her.

And the fued escalates with Sinead threatning legal action against Mileys tweats. . Sinead has an upcoming tour so im sure this "open letter" is bringing her a lot more attention and publicity that she couldnt usually get. I have to say a private letter or call would have been more dignified imo.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...three/2918903/

Id hardly call Sinead public latest open letter on facebook page setting an example

"I have no interest whatsoever in meeting you. You had plenty of time yesterday to abuse Amanda Bynes .. an entirely innocent party.. and myself.. who also did nothing to deserve your abuse.. along with every other sufferer of mental health problems and every person who suffered abuse at the hands of priests.
    You can take five minutes today between g- string fuckin’ changes to publicly apologise and remove your abusive tweets. If you do not then you don’t give a shit who you mock and what damage you do by being so ignorant. When you publicly apologise to Amanda and myself and all mental health sufferers as well as all who were abused by priests that will end the matter as far as I am concerned.
    what you did yesterday was designed to damage me and my career and has caused me enormous distress and harassment and has potential to damage my career, since you deliberately gave the impression those tweets of mine were not two years old but reflect my current condition. If you cannot apologize I will have no choice but to bring legal proceedings against you since it is extremely hard to be given work when people think one is suffering from mental illness.
    I have no interest in or desire to cause you trouble but if you do not apologise for having deliberately tried to cause me hurt and trouble personally and professionally I will have to bring pressure upon you.
    When you end up in the psych ward or rehab I’ll be happy to visit you.. and would not lower myself to mock you.
    Be a proper woman and make the public apologies I have listed above."

And just as I guessed Sinead has a upcomming tour so this fued with Mileys getting her name in the news.

https://www.facebook.com/sineadoconn...23966167614127

smark21 Guest
    Sinead has some wise words to offer in her first open letter, but her motivations for posting it are suspect IMO. Miley Cyrus and her promotion team have done an amazing job promoting Miley and her new image. It’s been over a month since her MTV VMA performance and people are still talking about it as well as her follow up antics. She’s managed to completely steal the spotlight from Lady Gaga, no shrinking violet when it comes to seeking out publicity, and Miley is much more fun and a hell of a lot less pretentious. For her sake hopefully Miley won’t end up a near zombie like Britney and she truly has control over her marketing and image. As for Sinead, she’s just using all the buzz Miley has created to generate some buzz for herself. So I get why Miley is not terribly impressed with Sinead’s unsolicited advise. Miley’s response by mocking Sinead’s bouts with mental illness are immature and a low blow, but Sinead should be old enough now to realize that when you offer unsolicited advise in a public matter, the recipient of the advise may not take kindly to your words. I rather like the new Miley; there’s a cartoonish quality to her staging in her performances; she looks like she’s having fun and in on the joke. Hopefully that’s the case. Tomorrow night she hosts and performs on Saturday Night Live. I wouldn’t be surprised the SNL writers are quickly writing a Miley meets Sinead skit for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Sinead has some wise words to offer in her first open letter, but her motivations for posting it are suspect IMO. Miley Cyrus and her promotion team have done an amazing job promoting Miley and her new image. It’s been over a month since her MTV VMA performance and people are still talking about it as well as her follow up antics. She’s managed to completely steal the spotlight from Lady Gaga, no shrinking violet when it comes to seeking out publicity, and Miley is much more fun and a hell of a lot less pretentious. For her sake hopefully Miley won’t end up a near zombie like Britney and she truly has control over her marketing and image. As for Sinead, she’s just using all the buzz Miley has created to generate some buzz for herself. So I get why Miley is not terribly impressed with Sinead’s unsolicited advise. Miley’s response by mocking Sinead’s bouts with mental illness are immature and a low blow, but Sinead should be old enough now to realize that when you offer unsolicited advise in a public matter, the recipient of the advise may not take kindly to your words. I rather like the new Miley; there’s a cartoonish quality to her staging in her performances; she looks like she’s having fun and in on the joke. Hopefully that’s the case. Tomorrow night she hosts and performs on Saturday Night Live. I wouldn’t be surprised the SNL writers are quickly writing a Miley meets Sinead skit for the show.
    Very well written smarts21 and in Mileys defense Sinead compare Miley to a prostitute which was real immature of Sinead imo. Here is another excerpt from her facebooks page:
    Miley… Really? Who the f*&k is advising you? Because taking me on is even more fuckin' stupid than behaving like a prostitute and calling it feminism.

I think Sinead is working on a comeback, and this letter is part of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post

Anybody that wants to see a stripper dancing can find it in any of thousands of available outlets. I guarantee you that not one person anticipated finding it during an awards show. In my opinion, she's not to be applauded for being uninhibited; she's to be chastised for being a blatant opportunist.
    Naw, man! The video Music Awards targets the very audience who listens to her music. And, as far as what the video was, you sis not see any privates. It's also like teens and twenty-somethings haven't seen the human body naked. C'mon! We live in the age of the internet. Porn is so available that anyone can click or swipe a couple of times and see anything they want. And, most have had sex anyway, or have seen their friends engage in sexual behavior. So, when you compare that with a video of someone swinging on a demolition ball, and you can't see anything, what's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Miley responded , in essence she told O' Connor she appreciates the advice, but she's got it under control. She said she's not a veteran to show business, and she knows who she is and what she wants, so Sinead need not preach to her.
    Yes! Miley's been in the business a long while, as her acky-breaky dad was, and she knows what it's all about. She's has probably seen tons of things. O'Connor's advise was not needed, nor was it asked for. And, again, O'Connor should keep in mind the things she's done to screw he own career up.

entertainment weekly just gave Mileys new cd a rave review.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    entertainment weekly just gave Mileys new cd a rave review.

Roberta
    I just sampled it. "Wrecking Ball" is OK. The only two songs I would actually buy are "#GETITRIGHT" and "On My Own". I think the rest of the album is pretty bad.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-05-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Yes! Miley's been in the business a long while, as her acky-breaky dad was, and she knows what it's all about. She's has probably seen tons of things. O'Connor's advise was not needed, nor was it asked for. And, again, O'Connor should keep in mind the things she's done to screw he own career up.
    It's a wise person who learns from other people's mistakes.

I knew something was up and there ya have it. Sinead has a tour coming up very soon, so why not try to ride the Miley publicity horse? Pretty desperate if you ask me. I saw a clip from an Irish talk show from a few days ago where she insults Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh and blames them for the state of the music industry today. Very mature. What a role model... WOW!

I guess I'm going to have to pull up Sinead's Nothing Compares... on youtube today and see
    if I can see Miley's inspiration. Hm...Sinead riding on Miley's g-string like she rode Prince's
    jock strap decades ago..even had the nerve to say she alone rescued his career then. This is
    some other sh*t. Hm. Miley might be making a fool of herself but 1) she seems to be more
    in control of herself than say, Amanda Byrnes, 2) she's chosen a potentially life long career
    that allows for whatever excesses and extremes she goes through. It's not as if she was some anonymous 30 + woman being taken to task by a possible employer for some nearly nude twerking video she posted on facebook when she was 23. And then 3) the only problem I have with Miley twerking is that she doesn't have the equipment to deliver the
    package if you know what I mean. Anyway, in this day and age with even Bjork passe in
    most corners, how is Sinead still relevant?...

That's the thing, she's not relevant anymore, hence the open letter. She's trying to make herself relevant. Pretty sad.

Why should the letter be private? Maybe some up and coming female artist will also read it and wise up and learn from what SOC went through.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Why should the letter be private? Maybe some up and coming female artist will also read it and wise up and learn from what SOC went through.
    Well they'll certainly learn how to cuss from the foul mouthed Sinead.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I guess I'm going to have to pull up Sinead's Nothing Compares... on youtube today and see
    if I can see Miley's inspiration. Hm...Sinead riding on Miley's g-string like she rode Prince's
    jock strap decades ago..even had the nerve to say she alone rescued his career then. This is
    some other sh*t. Hm. Miley might be making a fool of herself but 1) she seems to be more
    in control of herself than say, Amanda Byrnes, 2) she's chosen a potentially life long career
    that allows for whatever excesses and extremes she goes through. It's not as if she was some anonymous 30 + woman being taken to task by a possible employer for some nearly nude twerking video she posted on facebook when she was 23. And then 3) the only problem I have with Miley twerking is that she doesn't have the equipment to deliver the
    package if you know what I mean. Anyway, in this day and age with even Bjork passe in
    most corners, how is Sinead still relevant?...
    I think you nailed it!

Well they'll certainly learn how to cuss from the foul mouthed Sinead.
    Or, they'll learn to take charge of their careers better and manage it more under their own terms. Miley looks like anything but a serious pop artist. Like Madonna, she makes more news for what she does outside the studio than inside.

timmyfunk,
    That was my point too. You get the importance of that. Thank you!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Or, they'll learn to take charge of their careers better and manage it more under their own terms. Miley looks like anything but a serious pop artist. Like Madonna, she makes more news for what she does outside the studio than inside.
    Madonna is known [[inside the industry) for being very hands-on in the studio, and has been that way from day one. She is involved during every step of the process from hiring musicians to the mastering stage. But, all you ever hear about is adoptions and stuff. That's the public's and the media's fault.

smark21 Guest
    Based on her performance on last night’s Saturday Night Live, it seems Miley has a good grasp on her image and how it’s being used. The first clip in which her song/video “We Can’t Stop” has been turned into a song about the Government shut down is pretty funny.
    http://www.eonline.com/news/467247/m...day-night-live

smark21 Guest
    Here’s one critic siding with Miley Cyrus and against the attempted slut shaming of her:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/ar....html?ref=arts

Lest we forget that Sinead O Conner ripped a photo of the Pope up on Saturday night live which probably did more damage to her career than Miley twerking on TV which I thought was a hoot, Mileys young and expressing herself and 100 time wealthier than Sinead O conner.

Roberta
    Roberta,

Not that I agree with her methods, but Sinead ripped up the photo of the Pope in defiance to the cover-ups of the sexual abuse priests committed in a Catholic church. Miley's twerking on TV with a 30+ year old man and a bunch of life-sized stuffed animals is not proving a point except that she's desperate to be seen as something she's not - an adult. I'm young and I like to express myself, but I don't need to skimp around in flesh-toned underwear and gyrate my body all over the place to do so.

In regards to Sinead's own life, I'd say her past experiences and life decisions give support to this letter. I mean, who knows about poor decision making and being used by the industry better than someone who has been through it all? Unless she's still doing these things, I don't think it's fair to hold her past against her when she's trying to help someone younger. Especially when her father is saying that it's OK for her to be doing what she's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Roberta,

Not that I agree with her methods, but Sinead ripped up the photo of the Pope in defiance to the cover-ups of the sexual abuse priests committed in a Catholic church.
    I don't care that she ripped up the Pope's picture. I had no respect for the guy anyway. Perhaps she, herself, was violated by a church official. has she ever said anything like this? If it happened to her, it all makes sense, including her erratic behaviour over the years.

Miley's twerking on TV with a 30+ year old man and a bunch of life-sized stuffed animals is not proving a point except that she's desperate to be seen as something she's not - an adult.
    There have been a LOT of adults older than Miley who have done silly things like she has. her advantage is that she is only 20 years old. I do not care in the man is around 30. So what? His wife doesn't care, and her father doesn't care. It's just show biz! It's not like they were naked. It was calculated to get noticed, and to break from her Hannah Montana image. She doesn't want that sweet girl image.

I'm young and I like to express myself, but I don't need to skimp around in flesh-toned underwear and gyrate my body all over the place to do so.
    Well, don't do it, then. Even if they aren't famous or in the spotlight, some young women like it.

In regards to Sinead's own life, I'd say her past experiences and life decisions give support to this letter. I mean, who knows about poor decision making and being used by the industry better than someone who has been through it all? Unless she's still doing these things, I don't think it's fair to hold her past against her when she's trying to help someone younger. Especially when her father is saying that it's OK for her to be doing what she's doing.
    Bottom line: Miley did not ask Sinead for any advice, nor do they even know each other. Sinead is the last person to be giving anyone advice, especially after her public personal about wanting anal sex. Nothing wrong if she likes it, but...

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I don't care that she ripped up the Pope's picture. I had no respect for the guy anyway. Perhaps she, herself, was violated by a church official. has she ever said anything like this? If it happened to her, it all makes sense, including her erratic behaviour over the years.

There have been a LOT of adults older than Miley who have done silly things like she has. her advantage is that she is only 20 years old. I do not care in the man is around 30. So what? His wife doesn't care, and her father doesn't care. It's just show biz! It's not like they were naked. It was calculated to get noticed, and to break from her Hannah Montana image. She doesn't want that sweet girl image.

Well, don't do it, then. Even if they aren't famous or in the spotlight, some young women like it.

Bottom line: Miley did not ask Sinead for any advice, nor do they even know each other. Sinead is the last person to be giving anyone advice, especially after her public personal about wanting anal sex. Nothing wrong if she likes it, but...
    Miley may not want to be Hannah Montana anymore, but being as powerful of an influence as she is over young girls, she has a responsibility to not be shaking her you-know-what on television. As a teacher, I see so many young kids that look up to these stars who don't give a flying crap about how the repercussions of their actions, and it shows big time with kids. There is a loss of morality today, and celebrities and the media are not making it any better. It should not be acceptable for any woman or man, girl or boy [[whether it's someone Miley's age or older) to objectify and disrespect themselves that way. I don't care if her father was OK with it, I don't care if Robin's wife was OK with it - it's teaching the youth [[and I'm seeing it first-hand) that being sexually desirable and acting wild with no thought about your actions is acceptable! And it's not. As a role model [[and a celebrity is a role model to somebody somewhere), a celebrity has the opportunity to have profound influence on culture and socially-acceptable values and attitudes. In the spotlight, by "shaking it" - while wearing basically nothing - Miley's putting her body before her talent, which is CONSTANTLY reinforced by the media and it should not be happening. You don't see Robin Thicke or Justin Timberlake taking it off. No, instead, they surround themselves with pretty, young girls [[who are usually scantily clad, as well) and position themselves as being superior by doing so. The message it's sending out is damaging.

Miley did not ask for advice, but Sinead gave it out of concern - whether or not she's being hypocritical or not. Miley responded horribly [[so did Sinead), and instead of intelligently addressing her criticisms, she blasted Sinead with F-bombs via Twitter. Doesn't sound like someone who's in control.

Bottom line: Miley is in a position where she can use her fame to do good; to help fight sexualization of women in the media; to put out respectable music [[her songs talk about doing lines in the bathroom, for Heaven's sake!!). Instead, she's shaking her body, partying and carrying on for the whole world to see. Yes, she's twenty years old and can make her own decisions, blah-blah-blah. But it doesn't mean she SHOULD be making those decisions.
    Last edited by antceleb12; 10-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Miley may not want to be Hannah Montana anymore, but being as powerful of an influence as she is over young girls, she has a responsibility to not be shaking her you-know-what on television.
    Does she have a responsibility, or is it the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids to have the smarts to see things for what they are? No, It is NOT the responsibility of an artist to set examples. That is like a sentence to being in a prison where one is not allowed to do what they want. Dammit! If an ADULT Miley wants to twerk Robin Thicke on a stage, so what! You don't think teens see worse on the internet? You think some 13-year old girl is going to twerk her biology teacher in class?

As a teacher, I see so many young kids that look up to these stars who don't give a flying crap about how the repercussions of their actions, and it shows big time with kids.
    That's on the parents.

There is a loss of morality today

I'm done with the discussion with you. The second someone tries to bring in that very subjective argument of "moraltiy", it's all over. It always has religious overtones, and is the intellectually lazy way out of an argument.

Miley Cyrus or any other young star or sports star does not have a responsibility to be a role model and shouldnt be role models imo. Parents have a responsibilitty to be the best role model to they children.
    Blaming celebrities is a real easy excuse if you ask me. Young people should be influence by people who are real involved in they day to day lives like parents and teachers and pastors and charity workers and missionaries. A teenager with with good parents or a good parent who has been brought up right and brought up to respect themselves and others and to have to have goals isnt likely to dress and dance like Miley Cyrus just because they see her "act" on a TV music award show.

I bet some of those parents that are hollering at Miley and condemming Miley have no problem taking they kids to the shooting range or having guns in they homes which is much more harmful than Miley Cyrus twerking on a TV award show.

If you raise your kids to have self respect and to have good values then nobody on TV or a sportsfield or a basketball court or a movie is going to force a child to act wild or go out and have unsafe sex.

Roberta