[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Well, given how many disco remixes I've created in these last two years or so, it's very fair to say that I LOVE it. And here's my latest project for your [[hopeful) enjoyment, a disco remix of epic proportions. I completely rework Dan Hartman's classic "Vertigo / Relight My Fire" featuring the powerhouse vocals of Loleatta Holloway. Maybe I went slightly overboard, as this monster runs 17 1/2 minutes long [[I TOLD you it was EPIC, LOL), but once I got started I couldn't stop. Oh well, if you're looking to dance all night, you can't do worse than this. Enjoy!

DJ Moch

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Well, given how many disco remixes I've created in these last two years or so, it's very fair to say that I LOVE it. And here's my latest project for your [[hopeful) enjoyment, a disco remix of epic proportions. I completely rework Dan Hartman's classic "Vertigo / Relight My Fire" featuring the powerhouse vocals of Loleatta Holloway. Maybe I went slightly overboard, as this monster runs 17 1/2 minutes long [[I TOLD you it was EPIC, LOL), but once I got started I couldn't stop. Oh well, if you're looking to dance all night, you can't do worse than this. Enjoy!

DJ Moch

This was a big one in NYC back in the day.

Ricky Martin's version, which was supposed to have Anastacia on backing vocals, but ended up with the original Loleatta Holloway vocal, is quite good also!
    https://youtu.be/uGqOkc5Do3k

Mary Wilson - Red Hot!

Gladys Knight and The Pips - A Better Than Good Time!

Nice one DJ Moch

VERTIGO /RELIGHT was one of many "peak" records of the night to choose from during that period in 1979 when it was crazy how many records there were for a DJ to choose from. So much good stuff, all at once , there was really no where for disco to go after this climatic period than down.

A few years later Dan Hartman would pass from AIDS, but not before handing James Brown a huge career resurgence with :

Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-19-2018 at 10:11 PM.

That was a HUGE hit for James Brown! It single-handedly revived his recording career. Prior to this one, James had started to playing small clubs around the country.

Some extended funky Chaka Khan, courtesy of my mixing alter-ego. Disco is my life.

I'm feel "hungry" when some one says that "Philly Soul" is "disco music" and / or "Gamble & Huff invented disco music". Gamble himself have said many times, he don't considered things this way. They "created music you can hear and, if you want, dance to in the case of uptempo soul / r&b / funk numbers and, in addition, with a social message".

I worked as barman in a discotheque along my university student years and the music they played was very eclecthical: from "smooth jazz" and fusion in the first 1 or 1,5 hour [[Grover Washington Jr.'s "Winelight"; Crusader's "Streetlife";Richard Tee's "What A Woman Really Means"; War's "Night People"), to a whole hour of reagge with The Wailers, Gladiators, passing trough slow ones with Bee Gees, Barbra Streisand, Peaches & Herb,... and of course, the uptempo numbers of the first 80's, from Salsoul classics [[Joe Battan's "Rap-O-Clap-O", Skyy, Logg,...) to Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles Out" and "Family Man", Trammp's "Hard Rock & Disco", Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jnr.'s "Shien On, Silver Moon" to the real 75 - 80% of the total stuff they played: stupid, brain-less, totally unsoulful, machine-sound DISCO and EURODISCO. I don't knows what is the common denominator betwen those different music and I can't find any similitude betwen "Hurry Up This Way Again" by The Stylistics and "D.I.S.C.O." by Otawan, except both were played in the same place in a same session...

BTW, here's a list of [[IMHO) uptempo, high energy, bombastic SOUL tracks that I can play on a friendly party or, if I were a DJ, to fill the dancefloor, with tasteful and soulful ones:

- "You Ought To Be Dancin'" - People's Choice
    - "Soul Bones" - Trammps
    - "Disco Lights" - Dexter Wansel
    - "I Got My Mind Made Up" - Instant Funk
    - "Runaway" - Salsoul Orchestra feat. Loleatta Holloway
    - "Ai No Corrida" - Quincy Jones
    - "Stomp" - Brothers Johnson
    - "Give Me The Night" - George Benson
    - "Only You" - Teddy Pendergrass
    - "Put Our Heads Together" - O'jays
    - "Spread Love" - Al Hudson & The Soul Partners
    - "Baby, I'm Still Be The Same Man" - James Wells
    - "A Dance Fantasy" - Montana
    - "One For The Money" - Whispers
    - "Summertime [[And I Feel Mellow)" - MFSB
    - "We Got The Time" - MFSB
    - "Chocolate Chip" - Isaac Hayes
    - "Disco Connection" - Isaac Hayes Movement
    [[and I can to name some hundreds more...!)
    Last edited by manny; 05-09-2018 at 08:26 AM.

DISCO personified

An extended mix of their 1977 remake of the Stevie Wonder classic

Celebrating [[instead of mourning) the 6-year mark of Donna Summer's passing with my remix of her classic "Bad Girls". Proving that her music lives on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    An extended mix of their 1977 remake of the Stevie Wonder classic
    I did not realize that this team had worked with sister sledge. One song only ? This would be before they hooked up with chic. I wonder then did sister sledge go to Germany to record this ?
    Levay and kunze are best known for creating silver convention with songs like FLY ROBIN FLY

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I did not realize that this team had worked with sister sledge. One song only ? This would be before they hooked up with chic. I wonder then did sister sledge go to Germany to record this ?
    Levay and kunze are best known for creating silver convention with songs like FLY ROBIN FLY
    Boogiedown, Levay & Kunze produced Sister Sledge's second album "Together" in 1977. It was recorded in Munich, Germany. There were some solid tracks and a couple good ballads but nothing came close to the magic of "Fly, Robin Fly" on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This has always been a fav

This has always been a fav

It was a HUGE favorite of mine too at the time. I and a couple buddies use to walk around campus singing this at the top of our lungs .....of course after we'd been dwinking....hehehehehehe!

Although this one came out in '83, I swear they played this for at least 10 years in Detroit Clubs back in the day.........

Boogiedown, Levay & Kunze produced Sister Sledge's second album "Together" in 1977. It was recorded in Munich, Germany. There were some solid tracks and a couple good ballads but nothing came close to the magic of "Fly, Robin Fly" on the album.
    thank you. I will seek out that album!!

I loved all the songs by LIME. One had a great phone ringing in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWAVl7AkACQ

Good gravy, how many times did I shake a leg to this one at NYC's River Club and Saint. !!!!
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 05-24-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Celebrating [[instead of mourning) the 6-year mark of Donna Summer's passing with my remix of her classic "Bad Girls". Proving that her music lives on forever.
    Six years ago already! sad.

Miss you Donna.

Mary Wilson - Red Hot!

Was this really necessary? Are you into S&M?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I loved all the songs by LIME. One had a great phone ringing in the background.
    I trust you mean this one?

[[Have you kept up on Denis Le Page?)

Once upon a time for a class, I wrote a piece on whether I think the "death of disco" was overrated. Most of the backlash I see on the genre are from individuals like my grandparents who preferred adult contemporary and folk / folk-country. Nowadays, especially in the respective dance and LGBTQA communities, disco is celebrated for its campy aesthetic and the technological advances in the studio. While the modern incarnation of dance music may not reflect what it began as in the disco years, many DJs have respect to what the era stood for from a musical position. Even recent sub-genres like "Nu-Disco" attempt to mix older analog synth elements and percussion patterns of disco, with modern studio techniques.

It was much to my family's chagrin when I got addicted to ABBA and later more American 70s disco.

P.S. Two of the greatest unintentional novelty albums came from disco, like The Ethel Merman Disco Album, or Elton John's Victim of Love [[released a little too late for the times)

while this isn't so much soul related, they are fun albums to laugh to. Ethel Merman didn't actually hear any of the disco production, but instead came in and sang her showtunes like she always did in acapella. You'll notice how the production always seems a 1/2 beat off with her vocal track.

I have nothing insightful to add about Elton John's only disco album. I'm pretty sure it falls in the timeline of the height of his coke addiction, when it really started to take a toll on the quality of his music.
    Last edited by loganjlr; 05-25-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Another great one that caused lots of leg shakin'

The lady still has it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post
    Once upon a time for a class, I wrote a piece on whether I think the "death of disco" was overrated. Most of the backlash I see on the genre are from individuals like my grandparents who preferred adult contemporary and folk / folk-country. Nowadays, especially in the respective dance and LGBTQA communities, disco is celebrated for its campy aesthetic and the technological advances in the studio. While the modern incarnation of dance music may not reflect what it began as in the disco years, many DJs have respect to what the era stood for from a musical position. Even recent sub-genres like "Nu-Disco" attempt to mix older analog synth elements and percussion patterns of disco, with modern studio techniques.

It was much to my family's chagrin when I got addicted to ABBA and later more American 70s disco.

P.S. Two of the greatest unintentional novelty albums came from disco, like The Ethel Merman Disco Album, or Elton John's Victim of Love [[released a little too late for the times)

while this isn't so much soul related, they are fun albums to laugh to. Ethel Merman didn't actually hear any of the disco production, but instead came in and sang her showtunes like she always did in acapella. You'll notice how the production always seems a 1/2 beat off with her vocal track.

I have nothing insightful to add about Elton John's only disco album. I'm pretty sure it falls in the timeline of the height of his coke addiction, when it really started to take a toll on the quality of his music.
    That's not true at all regarding the Ethel Merman recording. She performed several of the songs on television with several of the studio musicians and the producer present! I saw her interviewed at least twice about her Disco record. Once on the Tonight Show and once on the Mike Douglas Show.

All the stuff out there today is nothing but pure garbage. They have lost the ability to be original and music suffers because of it!

Another great one that caused lots of leg shakin'
    I can always immediately tell when a record was not from the 70s Disco era when I hear that synthesizer. Without checking, I will bet this was dance music from the mid 80s. It is not Disco.

From the Summer of 1976:

More Pure Disco from the Summer of 1976...A killer!

1977 and Detroit was in the house! Brainstorm - lovin' is really my game

From the Summer/Fall of 1977. My high school band use to play this one!

MECO - "Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band"

They really burned up the dance floors in New York and New Jersey on this one!

Machine . . . "There But for the Grace of God, There Go I"

A true Disco classic from Jackie Moore in 1979:

PATTI, PATTI

they really burned up the dance floors in new york and new jersey on this one!

Machine . . . "there but for the grace of god, there go i"

yes, yes, yes!!!!!

This Bunny Sigler groove

PATTI, PATTI
    Now you're talking! This is music I remember well from era. Thanks Glen!

Technically this was not "Disco" but it sure got played in the clubs right along with the hottest Disco records in the 70s. War and "Heartbeat".

Mary Wilson

Was this really necessary? Are you into S&M?
    I wonder if I'll ever see Mary's Motown LP ever released on CD. It would make an excellent BBR release [[together with other tracks recorded as a solo artist at Motown, but never released).

As I mentioned in 2010, on this very forum, I loved Lime [[the recording artists), and although their last LP was poor, Your Love, Lime II, Lime III, Sensual Sensation, Unexpected Lovers helped me throughout the 80s.... along with others.

I haven't kept up with Denis LePage, although I am aware he is still working in Canada [[I've not heard anything much about him for the last 20 years).

Would you guys consider Lime disco? I checked them out and they seemed pretty electronic-based... I wasn't too taken with any of their stuff. Interesting.

1978.. A Massive Year For Sophisticated Disco!! :

Instant Funk - Got My Mind Made Up 1978 disco version