[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    A quick litmus test...name for me at least 20 songs that these folks produced between 1977 - 1979 that featured a ballsy, strong male lead vocal & I'll eat my copy of Munich Machine's "Whiter Shade Of Pale".
    Just for fun, i'll try:

Disco Inferno - The Trammps

The Groove Line - Heatwave

Well I don't know how ballsy he sounds, but there's Ray Simpson of G.Q. singing Disco Nights.

Man, you will go hungry tonight. I just can't come up with more than one!

I'm gonna get into a LOT of trouble here, but I think maybe a reason most European disco producers concentrated on the beat instead of the rhythm is because they are..uh..Anglo European. One exception I can think of is Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte, and some of the early records they did for Donna Summer like "Love To Love You baby", and "Winter Melody". They had very strong bass lines.

Perhaps what's necessary is a differentiation between Disco & Eurodisco. As the various world wide opinions indicate, all "Disco" music IS NOT created equally, nor do they seem to consist of the same components or sensibilities.
    I've been sating this for decades, but you can't tell it to the rock snobs.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-13-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Juice , allow me to take a few steps forward........................
    some other scenes of the crimes in N.Y.C. ;
    Alexanders ,Casablanca ,Better Days , Club My Way , The Loft ,Gatsbys ,Ipanema ,La Martinique ,Leviticus ,Nemos, Othellos ,Pippins ,Stardust Ballroom ,Jimmys ,the Gallery, 12 West ,Liquid Smoke ,Justines ,La Renaissance, The Headrest, Speakeasy..........,,,All were serious Dance Clubs/Discotheques before
    "the corporates pimped Disco like she was a $2 crack ho & unfairly covered a lot of great artists & an entire movement with the stench of THEIR perversion of it." Well put homie .

Some more awesome Dance tracks,
    Frontline --Eddie Grant
    Funky Nassau--Beginning Of The End
    Bad Conditions--Lloyd Price
    Do It Fluid-- Blackbyrds
    Who Is He.....--Creative Source
    Oh Wah Oh Hey [[Funky Song) , -- Ripple
    Waterbed---LTG Exchange
    Express--B.T. Express

And one other thought ,.......With the introduction of the further refinement of R&B by the Philly crew of writers and musicians ,which had been started by the Motown crew and taken to the next level by Gamble and Huff ,B.H.Y and the Cayre Bros [[Salsoul) in the mid 70's ,by tastfully adding orchestral arrangements and instruments to the Funk base ,they broadend the audience. The Funk was still there ,but not as raw as before because the added instrumentation and arrangements brought a little more depth to the Funk/Dance element ,but made it not so ...direct. Funk IS a very sensual thing, and it does believe it or not ,makes some folks not used to it ,edgey. They made it .....paletable. Sort of like the difference between a straight up [[neat) liquor drink and a mixed drink/cocktail as an analogy for example. They took the edge off of it. That's why IMO ,classic P.I.R. tracks like ,for example "Love Train ","The Love I Lost" ,"Let's Groove" and Trammps tracks like "Promise Me" ,"Where Do We Go From Here" are called "Disco" , disregarding the quality musicianship and production of them. Take for a big example ,"Love Is The Message". A track played in and popular in the pre-"Disco" Clubs and parties.
    The only airplay it had at that time was on urban F.M. radio and THAT was because of that exposure and the word of mouth in the community. In its original L.P. mix , it was a favorite dance track ,because it was so beautifully done. It struck me as a swinging big band type ,soulful track ,that echoed the feeling of the times, "Love is the message" ,and was danceable ,but too short and hard to extend ,in that mix. [[The way you really wanted it to). Then a year or so later ,this "Disco" thing starts to pop up all over and these new tracks have inst dubs and stuff you can mix with ,but that L.I.T.M. is a classic track that you always play and then ...BAM... T.M does this wicked "Disco" remix of the track. Tom's "Disco" mix of that track is better known than its original form ,which was a beautiful piece to begin with and conceptually not intended for a "Disco" market.
    However, L.I.T.M. ,is considered one of the most popular "Disco" tracks. Toms remix gave the strings ,drums ,horns ,vocals [[and cheated on the keyboards), they own solos!!! You can dance to any of the mixes on the dance floor ,but to sit down and LISTEN to the original or the T.M. remix is an awesome thing. Something I don't associate with ,the white suit ,Boom Tsk,Boom ,Tsk ,Boom ,vision of "DISCO"
    In the Clubs at the same time on the raw side , K.C.'s "I Get Lifted" is considered "Disco" ,but in fact it's just, just downright nasty ,FUNK.
    Another standout is the first Dr Buzzard album. "They" call that "DISCO" ,but in fact ,it combines so many elements of American music culture ,that to me ,these 30 plus years later ,it defies categoration, other than being a mutant work of art.
    It's that commercial "gimmick" association and point of view of the later 70's that bugs me about that word "Disco"

Jill:

If many of us are being honest, a WHOLE lot of us liked The Bee Gees back then.

While I liked Nights On Broadway, a whole lot of people in my neighborhood were feeling Jive Talking, You Should Be Dancing, Night Fever & Stayin' Alive. I'm telling you, I played in a club that was in the heart of East New York, bordered by Bed-Stuy & Brownsville & I can truthfully say that damn near EVERYONE was either listening to or dancing to J.T., Y.S.B.D., N.F. & S.A.

The backlash against The Bee Gees was somewhat belated & Y.S.B.D came out during 1976, more than a year before that movie came out. I can tell you that the folks in my neighborhood & school spent 1976 hustling to Y.S.B.D. Likely because of when the movie was actually filmed, most of the songs in that soundtrack were already old by the time the movie was released.

As for The Bee Gees, I liked some of their music since the days of I Started A Joke, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart & I've Gotta Get A Message To You. I also loved the other songs that I mentioned above. I think what made me absolutely sick & tired of them was that insipid More Than A Woman & Tragedy. I must admit that the movie did absolutely nothing to help.

What truly pissed me off about the movie was that even though the origins of Disco were well-known, they chose to anglocize it, stripping away several layers, very important layers of its origins & the whole experience. Admittedly, at the age of 16 or 17 [[1977), I had no idea about much of the lifestyle. I had no idea about the meaning of songs such as Fire Island or YMCA. To me, the YMCA was somewhere where we kids used to go after school to play ball. Most of us had no idea that those songs had a special meaning to anyone.

I learned pretty quickly though when I started out as a DJ & decided to go to see my cousin Winye' play. I went with my sister & his brother [[who already knew the deal) but when we stepped through those doors at The Continental Baths, it blew my mind. I thought that I was pretty much up on things, but in no way was my nearly 18 year-old mind prepared for anything that I saw that night.

I think that I'll leave it at that
    Juice, You don't like Tragedy? I think it's one of their most interesting offerings. But lets keep this in perspective, I don't feel ANY of the Bee Gees disco songs are their best work, that opinion is reserved for "Words", "I Started A Joke", and "Run To Me". I do have to agree about "More than A woman".... and the song itself is fine, because Tavares' version KICKS ASS.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Juice, You don't like Tragedy? I think it's one of their most interesting offerings. But lets keep this in perspective, I don't feel ANY of the Bee Gees disco songs are their best work, that opinion is reserved for "Words", "I Started A Joke", and "Run To Me". I do have to agree about "More than A woman".... and the song itself is fine, because Tavares' version KICKS ASS.
    The bee gees have repeatedly said that the music they did in the late 70s is not disco. It's R&B.

You know.. I agree about Eurodisco for the most part, but there were a few exceptions. This song is considered eurodisco by most, but it represents the BEST of that genre, IMO. And I can see the issue with disco going bad when it was stripped of it's soul.

I liked the Bee Gees. They started to really get my attention in 1975 with "Jive Talkin'" and they played a nice role in the soundtrack of my life between 1976-1979.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I liked the Bee Gees. They started to really get my attention in 1975 with "Jive Talkin'" and they played a nice role in the soundtrack of my life between 1976-1979.
    same here! Started with "Jive Talkin'". Absolute fave is "You Should be Dancing" and "Fanny".

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Juice , allow me to take a few steps forward........................
    some other scenes of the crimes in N.Y.C. ;
    Alexanders ,Casablanca ,Better Days , Club My Way , The Loft ,Gatsbys ,Ipanema ,La Martinique ,Leviticus ,Nemos, Othellos ,Pippins ,Stardust Ballroom ,Jimmys ,the Gallery, 12 West ,Liquid Smoke ,Justines ,La Renaissance, The Headrest, Speakeasy..........,,,All were serious Dance Clubs/Discotheques before
    "the corporates pimped Disco like she was a $2 crack ho & unfairly covered a lot of great artists & an entire movement with the stench of THEIR perversion of it." Well put homie .
    Wow, Daddy I remember a lot of those clubs. The twin brothers that started Leviticus lived right out here on Long Island.
    Juice that was a very accurate way of describing what happened to the "phenomenon" commonly known as disco. You all remember how the "Michael Jackson" look was co-oped and commericalized in the early to mid -80's with the pleather red jackets and the one white glove? This is the exact same thing that happened to dance music in the late 70's. I remember when discos became "elite" and you had to wait in line and be chosen to be admitted [[I was lucky enough to have to go through that, I had the right connections LOL!) but it, like everything else made people "want it" or want to get in that much more. After awhile, the mystique wore off. That whole attitude also helped to kill off disco. People for a while no longer dressed up to go out and wait behind the "rope" to party. They would dress down and head to the neighborhood bar to party.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    same here! Started with "Jive Talkin'". Absolute fave is "You Should be Dancing" and "Fanny".
    Oh sure. The Bee Gee's were one of THE groups during that era. Off the top of my head [[and excuse for repeating some that have already been mentioned) here were some of theirs and Andy Gibb songs that made an impact on the charts and on radio during that time:

Jive Talkin
    Nights On Broadway
    Fanny
    Stayin Alive
    You Should Be Dancin'
    I Just Want to Be Your Everything [[A. Gibb)
    Night Fever
    How Deep Is Your Love
    Tragedy
    Shadow Dancing [[A. Gibb)
    Love Is [[Thicker than Water)[[A. Gibb)

Not to mention top songs they wrote and produced for others such as "Emotion" by Samantha Sang in '78.

Euro-Disco or "mindless Disco" was horrible in my opinion. That list I posted earlier in this thread of the Top 500 Disco Records included some of it and again I say it was obscure garbage. Thump, thump, thump with no reason or rhyme and definitely with no SOUL!

But good Dance/Disco Music I loved and is a part of my collection.

Jill:

If many of us are being honest, a WHOLE lot of us liked The Bee Gees back then.

While I liked Nights On Broadway, a whole lot of people in my neighborhood were feeling Jive Talking, You Should Be Dancing, Night Fever & Stayin' Alive. I'm telling you, I played in a club that was in the heart of East New York, bordered by Bed-Stuy & Brownsville & I can truthfully say that damn near EVERYONE was either listening to or dancing to J.T., Y.S.B.D., N.F. & S.A.

The backlash against The Bee Gees was somewhat belated & Y.S.B.D came out during 1976, more than a year before that movie came out. I can tell you that the folks in my neighborhood & school spent 1976 hustling to Y.S.B.D. Likely because of when the movie was actually filmed, most of the songs in that soundtrack were already old by the time the movie was released.

As for The Bee Gees, I liked some of their music since the days of I Started A Joke, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart & I've Gotta Get A Message To You. I also loved the other songs that I mentioned above. I think what made me absolutely sick & tired of them was that insipid More Than A Woman & Tragedy. I must admit that the movie did absolutely nothing to help.

What truly pissed me off about the movie was that even though the origins of Disco were well-known, they chose to anglocize it, stripping away several layers, very important layers of its origins & the whole experience. Admittedly, at the age of 16 or 17 [[1977), I had no idea about much of the lifestyle. I had no idea about the meaning of songs such as Fire Island or YMCA. To me, the YMCA was somewhere where we kids used to go after school to play ball. Most of us had no idea that those songs had a special meaning to anyone.

I learned pretty quickly though when I started out as a DJ & decided to go to see my cousin Winye' play. I went with my sister & his brother [[who already knew the deal) but when we stepped through those doors at The Continental Baths, it blew my mind. I thought that I was pretty much up on things, but in no way was my nearly 18 year-old mind prepared for anything that I saw that night.

I think that I'll leave it at that
    Juice! We are the same age! ssssshhhh....! LOL! I am finding all this incredible because you had the same mindset, experience and perspective on things that were going on at that time in music as we did over in Michigan and Ohio! When the film "Saturday Night Fever" came out [[ I think I first saw it in December 1977 or around there...) we were like cool, Vinny Barberino is in a new movie. Some of the clothes he wore, we were already wearing to high school so that was cool too. Now when it came to the club scenes, it was like we might as well be looking at the Cantina Scene from "Star Wars" LOL! We did not dance like that and no one we knew danced like that [[ the Russian Kosak moves, hehehehehe...) but still it was enjoyable. We could relate to the commaraderie and hanging with your buddies on the weekend. To us it was not an accurate portrayal of Urban music, dancing and club going.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-13-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Btw, Tavares had the better version of "More Than A Woman" in my opinion.

Cheers Daddyacey.

Whatever the category, it's a tremendous piece of music.

Now this was a jam and a definite floor filler!
    It was vicious Marv,

If only there were music like that around today.

Juice! We are the same age! ssssshhhh....! LOL! I am finding all this incredible because you had the same mindset, experience and perspective on things that were going on at that time in music as we did over in Michigan and Ohio! When the film "Saturday Night Fever" came out [[ I think I first saw it in December 1977 or around there...) we were like cool, Vinny Barberino is in a new movie. Some of the clothes he wore, we were already wearing to high school so that was cool too. Now when it came to the club scenes, it was like we might as well be looking at the Cantina Scene from "Star Wars" LOL! We did not dance like that and no one we knew danced like that [[ the Russian Kosak moves, hehehehehe...) but still it was enjoyable. We could relate to the commaraderie and hanging with your buddies on the weekend. To us it was not an accurate portrayal of Urban music, dancing and club going.
    Well sheeeit! Both of you are the same age as me. When SNF came out, I didn't think much of the movie at all beyond the music. When I went to the theater to see it, I was not impressed at all. Actually, my father went with my sister and I to see it. Had we know all the stuff that was going to be in it, that never would have happened. Imagine having to sit with your sister and father and having all that sex stuff on the screen. I was fifteen years old and I couldn't have been more embarrassed...except for my sister! And, my father wasn't too crazy about white people at that point in time.

What's your all opinions when people re-make a classic pop or soul song, or remix it into a disco/dance track?

By the time S.N.F. came out ,the "Pop -Disco" label phenom had already begin to grow. Urban F.M. stations had began to play records that were popular in the "Dance Clubs". Here in NYC ,it was WKTU followed by WBLS and KISS. If you went to Clubs ,you knew of tracks that were not played on radio. All of a sudden some of these tracks are on these "Disco Mix" radio shows.
    The Bee-Gees had concieved and recorded in fact an R&B album , but R&B had been lumped into this general [[Fad image of white suits, lighted dance floors and other extras) sale friendly catagory ,by entrepruners. Using the previously prooven sales generating method of pairing a soundtrack album and feature film , targeting a specific audience ,[[like back in the day with Mohagany ,Super-Fly ,Car Wash ,Sparkle ,Claudine etc), the "suits" put a visual picture of what "Disco" was to look like, and hooked true Dance/R&B sound to that stupid image, cause that was the "Thing" , but it was R&B ,regardless of what they called it.
    Take for example The B.G.'s "You Should Be Dancin". A nasty Dance tune. So Funky ,people would dance to it the same way be it at a fancy lighted "Disco" Club or at a candle lit warehouse loft ,with a kick ass sound system.
    That was the start ,it went slowly down hill from there.

marv, this thread inspired me to play some of the classic disco cuts we were discussing here and yes marv, do u wanna get funky with me is on there! lol.

juice - u really broke it down on that classic peak of the disco era[[78-79) but u left out:

bell and james livin' it up
    the isleys - it's a disco night
    roy ayers - running away
    barry white - your sweetness
    hot shot - karen young
    ring my bell - anita ward
    relight my fire & instant replay - dan hartman

..you knew things had gone bad when Rick Dees did "Disco Duck" and Sarah Brightman had lost her heart to a starship trooper..lol at my gig at the local gay club last Thursday I threw in Stars On 45 - Abba Medley for a dare..and people liked it..!!!..an honorable mention in the cringe stakes to Ottowans "Hands Up" just spung to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    ..you knew things had gone bad when Rick Dees did "Disco Duck" and Sarah Brightman had lost her heart to a starship trooper..lol at my gig at the local gay club last Thursday I threw in Stars On 45 - Abba Medley for a dare..and people liked it..!!!..an honorable mention in the cringe stakes to Ottowans "Hands Up" just spung to mind...
    Stars on 45? Oh crap... is that one of those interminable medley mash-ups? There was an oldies DJ here who kept playing those a few years ago. But to be honest, Abba didn't really fit into disco, with the exception of "Gimme Gimme Gimme", and "Lay All Your Love On Me". I think "Dancing Queen" is too slow to be considered disco, and it's such a perfect song, anyway... how can you not like it. but you should be able to play Abba for these youngsters, Nomis... surely theyv'e at least seen advertizements for Mamma Mia. You want to see a reaction from a young crowd, I dare you to play Ian Dury's "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick". LOL
    Last edited by jillfoster; 11-14-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Hi Jill - Stars On 45 was a fast paced medley who sound alike singers -they scored big in the UK with The Beatles medley then the Abba medley hit the charts...Dont get me wrong I love Abba but its kitsch to hear all those songs glued together by one chorus of each..the other Abba disco hit that springs to mind is Voulez Vous [[a track I love _ i can see Soulster shaking his head in disaproval! he he)..I thought "Lay All Your Love On Me" was a first rate production but they definetley dabbled in disco to some extent...

Hi Jill - Stars On 45 was a fast paced medley who sound alike singers -they scored big in the UK with The Beatles medley then the Abba medley hit the charts...Dont get me wrong I love Abba but its kitsch to hear all those songs glued together by one chorus of each..the other Abba disco hit that springs to mind is Voulez Vous [[a track I love _ i can see Soulster shaking his head in disaproval! he he)..I thought "Lay All Your Love On Me" was a first rate production but they definetley dabbled in disco to some extent...

Yes... that's the one i'm thinking of, it's not actual Abba... but these sound alikes that remind one of "Up with People". I hated those with the heat of a thousand suns.

..you knew things had gone bad when Rick Dees did "Disco Duck" ....
    Well, now wait..."Disco Duck" was on the charts at the same time "You Should be Dancing" by the Bee Gees was in 1976, so it wasn't bad yet. You know, people always cite songs like "Disco Duck" as the worst of disco, but forget that it was only a harmless little novelty song. And, as bad as some say disco got in the late 70s, they also forget that some of the best of it was also huge during that time. Chic dropped "Le Freak" in late 1978, and I consider that one record to be the best disco had to offer in the later period.

But to be honest, Abba didn't really fit into disco, with the exception of "Gimme Gimme Gimme", and "Lay All Your Love On Me". I think "Dancing Queen" is too slow to be considered disco, and it's such a perfect song, anyway...
    Well, it was too lush for disco, but look at Chic's "I Want your Love", or many of Barry White's orchestral sides.

...I didnt realise Disco Duck was 76..I always thought it was later..sometimes its hard to say if something is disco or not..sometimes Blondie Heart Of Glass is considered disco to others its new wave..I heard taste Of Honeys Boogie Ooogie in a bar last friday and I had a good dance to that...

Well lets not leave out some other "Disco" tunes like "Miss You" by the Stones ,"When Love Is New" by Arthur Prysock ,"Disco Lucy" ,"Get Dancin" by Disco Tex and his Sex o Letts and "I Love N.Y." among others that were introduced into the existing "Dance/R&B" playlist ,and IMO created that start of the "Disco" influence in the dance music culture. The introduction of Popular and Rock and Roll artists into the predominately R&B /Dance genre is what created the craze component of Disco. The Pop artists like Cher ,Debbie Harry ,The Stones ,Frankie Valli ,Yes [[!!!) David Bowie, Elton Johns Philly sessions etc ,that were not in the R&B Dance music field originally ,were mixed with the R&B formula, and created a wider audience ,that may not have been in tune to the predominent R&B/Funk sound of "Party" music but now had names to identify with. Following S.N.F was T.G.I.F. ,[[oy vay!!).
    I was into Yes ,as a Rock group ,but when "Owner Of A Lonley Heart" was released ,I was flabbergasted ,I mean you've got to be kidding me. Some novelty productions are fine ,but then IMO they have they place in the genre ,but true R&B/ Funk/Dance was still being made at that time such as ,Instant Funks "Got My Mind Made Up" ,Rhyze "Just How Sweet Is Your Love", Leroy Burgess "Lets Do It" and others that were played in the same clubs with those other "Disco" tracks and yet they were lumped into that "Disco" mindset ,although they were still truthfully straight up Dance oriented Funk/R&B tracks. Bunny Sigler's Instant Funk and Leroy Burgess ,just ain't "Disco". Funky is Funky ,Funky "like" is just what it is ,something that has Funk/Dance/R&B elements. Even lush productions like CHIC and Barry Whites , had specific parts that were lush and full in instrumentation ,but were written with parts that were intended to be stripped down to the basic Funky core.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Well lets not leave out some other "Disco" tunes like "Miss You" by the Stones ,"When Love Is New" by Arthur Prysock ,"Disco Lucy" ,"Get Dancin" by Disco Tex and his Sex o Letts and "I Love N.Y." among others that were introduced into the existing "Dance/R&B" playlist ,and IMO created that start of the "Disco" influence in the dance music culture. The introduction of Popular and Rock and Roll artists into the predominately R&B /Dance genre is what created the craze component of Disco. The Pop artists like Cher ,Debbie Harry ,The Stones ,Frankie Valli ,Yes [[!!!) David Bowie, Elton Johns Philly sessions etc ,that were not in the R&B Dance music field originally ,were mixed with the R&B formula, and created a wider audience ,that may not have been in tune to the predominent R&B/Funk sound of "Party" music but now had names to identify with. Following S.N.F was T.G.I.F. ,[[oy vay!!).
    I was into Yes ,as a Rock group ,but when "Owner Of A Lonley Heart" was released ,I was flabbergasted ,I mean you've got to be kidding me. Some novelty productions are fine ,but then IMO they have they place in the genre ,but true R&B/ Funk/Dance was still being made at that time such as ,Instant Funks "Got My Mind Made Up" ,Rhyze "Just How Sweet Is Your Love", Leroy Burgess "Lets Do It" and others that were played in the same clubs with those other "Disco" tracks and yet they were lumped into that "Disco" mindset ,although they were still truthfully straight up Dance oriented Funk/R&B tracks. Bunny Sigler's Instant Funk and Leroy Burgess ,just ain't "Disco". Funky is Funky ,Funky "like" is just what it is ,something that has Funk/Dance/R&B elements. Even lush productions like CHIC and Barry Whites , had specific parts that were lush and full in instrumentation ,but were written with parts that were intended to be stripped down to the basic Funky core.

Daddyacey, the infusion of rock acts didn't start tghe craze. Bands like the Rolling Stones, Kiss, and Rod Stewart didn't create their hits until 1979, around disco's peak.

Daddyacey, the infusion of rock acts didn't start tghe craze. Bands like the Rolling Stones, Kiss, and Rod Stewart didn't create their hits until 1979, around disco's peak.
    Well close. The Rolling Stones were pretty much a part of the mix at the right time, Summer of 1978 with "Miss You". The others, you're right got into the mix a little later in '79 and you can add Marvin Gaye, Cher, Mary Wilson etc, although not Rock Acts, but established acts that got in late in the "disco" craze.

Gotta remember, though, that many artists were forced by the record companies to do a disco song. It was even put into their contract to have at least one disco tune on an album. Few artists did it willingly. Many times, A&R people were around to make sure it happened. It hurt a lot of R&B artists.

Gotta remember, though, that many artists were forced by the record companies to do a disco song. It was even put into their contract to have at least one disco tune on an album. Few artists did it willingly. Many times, A&R people were around to make sure it happened. It hurt a lot of R&B artists.

That is exactly what happened. Some even bitched about it in public and in the media.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-17-2010 at 12:08 AM.

That is exactly what happened. Some even bitched about in public and in media.
    So true, and Mary wilson had no business recording a primarily disco album. Red Hot is really BAD, IMO. If she would have been produced properly and positioned right in the the industry, she should have been a feamle Barry White, but alas, Motown was dumb, and Roberta Flack got her spot.

Yes... that's the one i'm thinking of, it's not actual Abba... but these sound alikes that remind one of "Up with People". I hated those with the heat of a thousand suns.
    Jill, get outta here! "Up With the People", you remember them too? LOL! They use to come to perform at my school at least once a year even then we thought they were so corny and square!

Even gospel divas The Clark Sister got on the disco band wagon with this 1979 song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SlMMHUxfCs

if that one doesn't work...try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m04-4...eature=related

Very nice Glencro. I love the Clark Sisters!

This jam here by Third World could be classified as Reggae. I bought the album and then the 12". It may or may not have been classified as "Disco" but I dare anyone to sit completely still when this one is on the wheels of steel! 32 years later and it still is awesome....."Now That We Found Love " everybody!

So true, and Mary wilson had no business recording a primarily disco album. Red Hot is really BAD, IMO. If she would have been produced properly and positioned right in the the industry, she should have been a feamle Barry White, but alas, Motown was dumb, and Roberta Flack got her spot.
    I figured someone would eventually try to work mary Wilson into this thread. I wonder how long it will be before someone turns it into a Diana Ross thread.

But THE SUPREMES, MARY CINDY SCHERRIE and SUSAYE had disco hits too, He's my man, Let my hart do the walking, Moving on,You're what's missing[[in my life)High energy,You are the heart of me, FREDA PAYNE, I'll do anything[[for you)THE ORIGINALS,Down to lovetown DAVID RUFFIN'S Walk away from love, SISTERS LOVE,Give me your love,THE JACKSON 5,Forever came today,THE TEMPTATIONS, HAPPY PEOPLE, I still love DISCO today.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    THE JACKSON 5,Forever came today
    i've never liked this. Body Language [[Do The Love Dance) and Honey Love are much BETTER disco records from the J5. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    i've never liked this. Body Language [[Do The Love Dance) and Honey Love are much BETTER disco records from the J5. IMO.
    Interesting Waldo as I remember hearing Forever and Body Language, but not Honey Love. Was it an album cut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tg1E54UR_0

yes an LP cut from Moving Violation

I just found this. Remember the film "Thank God It's Friday"? Here is the group "Love & Kisses" with the theme song:

Thanks Waldo!

Was this "Retro Jam" "The Bomb- These Sounds...." from 1995 the LAST "Disco" record?

Nope, Marv... as far as "disco" in the classic sense, I feel this was the last one to be a big hit, from 1999:

And another latter day true disco song that was a huge hit in the gay clubs was this gem from 1992:
    Last edited by jillfoster; 01-22-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Hey, I remember him, Jamiroquai. Whatever happened to him?

I didn't even know Chic was still recording as a unit past say 1982-83. I think the last song I remember by them was "Stage Fright". Thanks Jill.

Hey, I remember him, Jamiroquai. Whatever happened to him?
    Hey Marv2 .. I can tell by that statement that you can't possibly live in the U.K. ..

Here is the recent JAMIROQUAI single .. "Nothing But Blue Skies" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnPQCEE16o

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Hey Marv2 .. I can tell by that statement that you can't possibly live in the U.K. ..

Here is the recent JAMIROQUAI single .. "Nothing But Blue Skies" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnPQCEE16o

Roger
    Holy mother of CRAP! Someone has actually recorded some real music?
    Pardon me while I pick up my teeth off the floor!