[REMOVE ADS]




Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Results 501 to 514 of 514
  1. #501

  2. #502
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    Good one! She had some killer tracks.

  3. #503
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Good one! She had some killer tracks.
    I remeber hearing this when I was around 17, and I liked it.

    I havenlt heard it for years, and gave it a listen on YouTube the other day. The production is excellent, especially the strings. I wouldn't have noticed that when I was a teenager.

  4. #504
    She brought the Gospel to Disco/Dance music:


  5. #505
    Marv, when it comes to hot horns, strings, and super-charged danceability, Loleatta's "I May Not Be There When You Want Me" is my all-time favorite. The Dance Queen Of Philly Soul sizzles brilliantly from start to finsh!

    https://youtu.be/-m0hJTHmV78

  6. #506
    Hey everybody, check this out! I will not tell you who's on it, it's a surprise......

    HOT CITY Disco Television Show - #2 (August 1978)


  7. #507
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, when it comes to hot horns, strings, and super-charged danceability, Loleatta's "I May Not Be There When You Want Me" is my all-time favorite. The Dance Queen Of Philly Soul sizzles brilliantly from start to finsh!

    https://youtu.be/-m0hJTHmV78
    She was totally underrated! Thanks Gary

  8. #508
    Here's another episode of "Hot City Disco" from September 1978:


  9. #509
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, that's Viola Wills on "If You Could Read My Mind". She's another one of my favorites. She, unfortunately, died of cancer a few years ago. Pity, they say she was a really sweet lady and, God knows, she had a great voice.

    VIOLA WILLS
    "If You Could Read My Mind"
    https://youtu.be/s8ZNGCVrscY

    And my all-time favorite of hers from 1982:

    "Stormy Weather"
    https://youtu.be/52YChT4z488
    Viola had a fantastic voice that made you listen up! So sad she left us at 70 years young. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 08-28-2019 at 12:24 AM.

  10. #510
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Viola had a fantastic voice that made you listen up! So sad she left us at 70 years young. Thanks for posting.
    Yeah, demotownguy, she was one of a kind. If anyone deserved a home at the top of the charts, it was Viola. Why she never crossed over to the big time is beyond me. If anyone deserved it, it was her.

  11. #511
    I must say that my knowledge about this idiom is limited...

    However! I did a fun interview today. It was with Vera Brown, who was the lead singer of The Richie Family for a number of years, so that's another Philly act, referring loosely to a great thread here on this forum.
    Many of us love a comeback story, and this is one, because Miss Brown lived through what she describes as the dark days of her life and came out on the other side. She released her DEBUT album as a solo performer in 2018, titled "Somebody", and now we are over in scripture based output. And she was just picked up by Sony Orchard, who are about to release the album worldwide and has plans for this singer, who is now based in Landisville. So that's a story that I thought I might share.

    Here she is a few years back:

  12. #512
    And here we find Vera Brown now

  13. #513
    Quote Originally Posted by thatanyway View Post
    I must say that my knowledge about this idiom is limited...

    However! I did a fun interview today. It was with Vera Brown, who was the lead singer of The Richie Family for a number of years, so that's another Philly act, referring loosely to a great thread here on this forum.
    Many of us love a comeback story, and this is one, because Miss Brown lived through what she describes as the dark days of her life and came out on the other side. She released her DEBUT album as a solo performer in 2018, titled "Somebody", and now we are over in scripture based output. And she was just picked up by Sony Orchard, who are about to release the album worldwide and has plans for this singer, who is now based in Landisville. So that's a story that I thought I might share.

    Here she is a few years back:
    Great story. Thank you Thatanyway.

  14. #514
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great story. Thank you Thatanyway.

    Thank YOU marv2. Nice thread!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.