[REMOVE ADS]




Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Results 451 to 494 of 494
  1. #451
    They deleted part 2 , so here is part 3


  2. #452
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Jack, when you mention Alec R. Costandinos, you've gotta be thinking "Romeo & Juliet"! Am I right?!!! Ha! I always loved Side 2 of that piece. At 8:39, the segment with "I believed in our love. It was all I ever had to live for" still hits me like a ton of bricks! So very, very pretty!

    https://youtu.be/gkxRihrRx4Q
    The horns and the way they use them is incredible.

  3. #453
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The horns and the way they use them is incredible.
    Yeah! Those horns are hot, Marv! And funky as all get-out! And then the way it transitions into the most beautiful music this side of heaven! I remember the first time I heard it. You can probably still see my skid marks in the parking lot at Record Theatre from racing to the store to buy it!

  4. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah! Those horns are hot, Marv! And funky as all get-out! And then the way it transitions into the most beautiful music this side of heaven! I remember the first time I heard it. You can probably still see my skid marks in the parking lot at Record Theatre from racing to the store to buy it!
    Thank you for posting it to this thread Philles/Motown Gary!

  5. #455
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you for posting it to this thread Philles/Motown Gary!
    You're very welcome, Marv! Disco was the kind of music that brought people together and made you feel good. It didn't matter if the record was hot and funky or uptempo, sweet and pretty. While it was playing, everybody on the dance floor became one. Regardless of their color, size, or creed, your eyes would meet with other dancers -- total strangers -- and, if only for a brief moment, you would both nod and grin, simultaneously acknowledging how great this music made you feel! Where else would that EVER happen where black and white became one? Music being the universal language of the world isn't just a cliche; it's true -- and Disco proved it.

  6. #456
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    You're very welcome, Marv! Disco was the kind of music that brought people together and made you feel good. It didn't matter if the record was hot and funky or uptempo, sweet and pretty. While it was playing, everybody on the dance floor became one. Regardless of their color, size, or creed, your eyes would meet with other dancers -- total strangers -- and, if only for a brief moment, you would both nod and grin, simultaneously acknowledging how great this music made you feel! Where else would that EVER happen where black and white became one? Music being the universal language of the world isn't just a cliche; it's true -- and Disco proved it.
    Why some felt it had to end is beyond me. It will never be that way again.

  7. #457
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Why some felt it had to end is beyond me. It will never be that way again.
    I know. We were lucky to grow up with it when we did. Hey, Marv, remember this? This one cranked the heat up a few notches:

    CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR:
    "Dancin' "
    https://youtu.be/JIPLJpnlIJ8

    Or this one which was light and fun:

    VOGGUE:
    "Dancin' The Night Away"
    https://youtu.be/vamqMLTF7ZU

  8. #458
    Remember this one?


  9. #459
    Although technically not classified as "Disco", were sure dance our ______ s off to this!


  10. #460
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Although technically not classified as "Disco", were sure dance our ______ s off to this!

    I like that! A lot! And we can't forget the extended version of:

    MARY WELLS - "Gigolo"
    https://youtu.be/vNgmaAz0Yog

  11. #461
    Marv, do you remember this one? (This is the CLEAN version!)

    LYDIA MURDOCK:
    "Love On The Line"
    https://youtu.be/aPWQ7_NRoGw

  12. #462
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, do you remember this one? (This is the CLEAN version!)

    LYDIA MURDOCK:
    "Love On The Line"
    https://youtu.be/aPWQ7_NRoGw
    Gary, that's one I had not heard before. Good song though. I always found it a bit strange in America. There were records that were popular and received a lot of play in the East and the same thing went for out West. I went to college out West in Colorado and I remember coming home back East on breaks and hearing music that I never heard out West or would not hear out there until 3-4 months later. I did not understand that at the time.

  13. #463
    Here's a good one I heard just today that probably everyone remembers:


  14. #464
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Gary, that's one I had not heard before. Good song though. I always found it a bit strange in America. There were records that were popular and received a lot of play in the East and the same thing went for out West. I went to college out West in Colorado and I remember coming home back East on breaks and hearing music that I never heard out West or would not hear out there until 3-4 months later. I did not understand that at the time.
    Yeah, that's true, Marv. A lot of hits are regional until they catch on nationally. Don't know why, but I guess they've gotta start somewhere.

  15. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here's a good one I heard just today that probably everyone remembers:

    Yeah, that's Leroy Gomez with Santa Esmeralda! I have a bunch of his CDs. He also had a dance-floor hit with this cover version:

    SANTA ESMERALDA
    "House Of The Rising Sun"

    https://youtu.be/CkgIlXqIfzk

  16. #466
    Marv, of all the Disco remakes of former pop hits, this one's my favorite. Do you remember the Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin' "? Chances are, you've never heard it like this! (The back-up girls' vocals are HOT!)

    KONGAS:
    "Africanism"
    https://youtu.be/WwkJlfCar10

  17. #467
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, that's Leroy Gomez with Santa Esmeralda! I have a bunch of his CDs. He also had a dance-floor hit with this cover version:

    SANTA ESMERALDA
    "House Of The Rising Sun"

    https://youtu.be/CkgIlXqIfzk
    He's a good singer/entertainer. I understand that he was a part of Tavares' band at one time.

  18. #468
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, of all the Disco remakes of former pop hits, this one's my favorite. Do you remember the Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin' "? Chances are, you've never heard it like this! (The back-up girls' vocals are HOT!)

    KONGAS:
    "Africanism"
    https://youtu.be/WwkJlfCar10
    I most definitely do remember the original song. It is good that they, Kongas did not stray too far away from the original song because it was great in the first place. I am now remembering someone remade a dance version of Gordon Lightfoot's " If You Could Read My Mind" either in the late 80s or early 90s. I use to hear it a lot in Canada when I was up there back then.

  19. #469
    In 1977-78 you could not go to a club or party in Detroit without hearing this scorcher here!


  20. #470
    and if there is such a thing as a "Disco Standard" this one would definitely qualify:


  21. #471
    Now Miss Bettye and Kev said they do not like this song she did back in '78, but I loved it then when I was 18 and still do. This is not the abbreviated version they played on the radio but a more extended mix:


  22. #472
    Then our Great Queen laid this one on us in 1976 from the film "Sparkle". You cannot not dance when this comes on!


  23. #473
    This one should take you back if you were around during the Disco Era. Gino Soccio and "Dancer!"


  24. #474
    Even "Black Moses" Isaac Hayes got in on the Disco thang.......


  25. #475
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He's a good singer/entertainer. I understand that he was a part of Tavares' band at one time.
    Tavares, eh? I did not know that. I love Tavares.

  26. #476
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I most definitely do remember the original song. It is good that they, Kongas did not stray too far away from the original song because it was great in the first place. I am now remembering someone remade a dance version of Gordon Lightfoot's " If You Could Read My Mind" either in the late 80s or early 90s. I use to hear it a lot in Canada when I was up there back then.
    Marv, that's Viola Wills on "If You Could Read My Mind". She's another one of my favorites. She, unfortunately, died of cancer a few years ago. Pity, they say she was a really sweet lady and, God knows, she had a great voice.

    VIOLA WILLS
    "If You Could Read My Mind"
    https://youtu.be/s8ZNGCVrscY

    And my all-time favorite of hers from 1982:

    "Stormy Weather"
    https://youtu.be/52YChT4z488

  27. #477
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    and if there is such a thing as a "Disco Standard" this one would definitely qualify:

    Absolutely! "I Love The Nightlife" is a great war-horse if ever there was one! Among my very favorites -- especially the longer version!

  28. #478
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This one should take you back if you were around during the Disco Era. Gino Soccio and "Dancer!"

    I was around -- buying disco records like crazy -- and loving every minute! "Dancer" was one of my proud purchases!

  29. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Tavares, eh? I did not know that. I love Tavares.
    Yeah they all very from the same area of Massachusetts. I use to live up there for time myself. Spent a lot of time in New Bedford and Providence, R. I.

  30. #480
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, that's Viola Wills on "If You Could Read My Mind". She's another one of my favorites. She, unfortunately, died of cancer a few years ago. Pity, they say she was a really sweet lady and, God knows, she had a great voice.

    VIOLA WILLS
    "If You Could Read My Mind"
    https://youtu.be/s8ZNGCVrscY

    And my all-time favorite of hers from 1982:

    "Stormy Weather"
    https://youtu.be/52YChT4z488
    Oh yeah I remember her. My favorite of hers was "Going to Get Along Without You Now".

  31. #481
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Even "Black Moses" Isaac Hayes got in on the Disco thang.......

    Yep! Bought this one, too!

  32. #482
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Absolutely! "I Love The Nightlife" is a great war-horse if ever there was one! Among my very favorites -- especially the longer version!
    They use to play this song to Death in the Fall of '78 and the video was on television more times than I can remember. She seemed really "mature" to me when I was 18 and her song was huge. LOL!

  33. #483
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I was around -- buying disco records like crazy -- and loving every minute! "Dancer" was one of my proud purchases!
    My cousin Donnie had this one on a Reel to Reel back then and would play it for like a solid hour at some of his house parties.

  34. #484
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh yeah I remember her. My favorite of hers was "Going to Get Along Without You Now".
    Yeah, that was another one of her great ones!

  35. #485
    Gotta take a break, Marv. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this:

    FRANCE JOLI:

    "Feel Like Dancing"
    https://youtu.be/_6DoA-xsc18

    "The Heart To Break The Heart"
    https://youtu.be/DIPVpK2XY6c

    "Gonna Get Over You"
    https://youtu.be/SMVqAJcX9I4

  36. #486
    One of the best mixed disco compilations on vinyl only :Steppin' Out - Disco's Greatest Hits Name:  R-2847398-1303769016.jpeg.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  41.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  37. #487
    Name:  R-2847398-1303768960.jpeg.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  39.2 KB

    I tried to copy all the titles but did not work
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  38. #488
    Yeah that looks good Jack.

  39. #489
    Here is a slightly different take on a favorite. Although the finished, popular version would not be released until May, 1978, this early version is what was played at Studio 54 in late 1977:


  40. #490
    Time to get down-the o'jays

  41. Happy to have found this thread - the Paradise Garage and the Tunnel were my jams when I lived in Manhattan during NY's gritty days!

  42. #492
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    "Gonna Get Over You"
    https://youtu.be/SMVqAJcX9I4
    Love it Gary

  43. #493
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Time to get down-the o'jays
    ONE OF MY FAVOURITE O'JAYS SONG R&B... so SMOOTH

  44. #494
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Love it Gary
    Me, too, Tom! Glad you like it!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.