[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

The DISCO Era! Come On, You Know You Liked It!

Folks, now that Chic has issued a box set. I was thinking that it should be ok now to finally discuss the music of the Disco Era that was roughly 1974-80. For years people would not admit that they liked some of the music, but there really was some good and memorable recordings to come out of all of that self indugence and debauchery......... LOL! Let's discuss. One of my favorites from the era was

Peter Brown's "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me - 1977

Here's another one that had us dancing and trying be cool.....hehehehe.....
    Last edited by marv2; 10-27-2010 at 02:10 AM.

Are you kidding? It's always been cool to discuss disco in my world! It's nothing but another musical style. Some good, some bad.

But, those two examples are what I call FUNK! To me, disco is more like Silver Convention's "Fly Robin Fly" or YMCA by Village People. Still, it's all good.

Exactly... Vicki Sue Robinson used to say that she felt the '"Disco sucks" movement was just thinly veiled racism and homophobia. And I agree. And of course, the mainline rockers were seeing their market share decline, and they had expensive cocaine habits to support! But Disco never died, it just changed it's name to dance.. then house... etc... like any genre, there's good and there's bad. Here's some good:

Soulster, "Fly Robin,Fly" by Silver Convention was one my Dad use to like. I can remember coming home from high school and hearing blasting coming up from basement LOL!

The two I started this thread off with were considered "dance records" aka disco where I lived , Detroit and Toledo.

Here's one that was also very popular : Johnnie Taylor's "Disco Lady"

I'm mean everybody was doing it! hehehehe:

Jill you picked 3 great ones!

Here we are in 1978 at the height of the Disco Era and we have Karen Young out of Philly doing "Hot Shot"!

I HATE Silver convention. Their two biggest songs had a grand total of less than 10 words for lyrics. Boring as hell. another good one I like:

I don't care if it was called the "Disco Era". 1974- 1980 and beyond I was into Funk. I don't mean to tell people what they
    should listen to and I had a lot of respect for Vickie Sue Robinson but alhthough I know there may have been some truth
    to her statement as far as a lot of rockers were concerned, I felt and still feel for the most part, Disco sucked. Big time.
    Of course there were exceptions and some artists tried to work creatively in the genre but even many of those felt it was
    not their best work or what they really wanted to be doing. They really just wanted to keep working and getting paid.
    Disco is by far my least favorite of all of the predominately black music genres, the only thing I care less for is anything
    produced by Ian Levine...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I don't care if it was called the "Disco Era". 1974- 1980 and beyond I was into Funk. I don't mean to tell people what they
    should listen to and I had a lot of respect for Vickie Sue Robinson but alhthough I know there may have been some truth
    to her statement as far as a lot of rockers were concerned, I felt and still feel for the most part, Disco sucked. Big time.
    Of course there were exceptions and some artists tried to work creatively in the genre but even many of those felt it was
    not their best work or what they really wanted to be doing. They really just wanted to keep working and getting paid.
    Disco is by far my least favorite of all of the predominately black music genres, the only thing I care less for is anything
    produced by Ian Levine...

Splanky, let's talk about the exceptions. Was there one record that you liked between the years 1974 and 1980 that was classified as "Disco"?

I did not like Ian Levine's productions either. But those were from the 90's for the most part.

Anyway, this was a popular record in late '77 and I am sure you can imagine why: Remember?

I always just thought that people that hated "disco music" and disco nightclubs were ones that couldn't dance; didn 't know how to dance! LOL!

From the Summer of 1974, George McCrae with "Rock Your Baby"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Here's one that was also very popular : Johnnie Taylor's "Disco Lady"

...except that Johnnie Taylor himself had said that the song isn't disco. It's R&B.

Disco is cool with me,alot of folks got upset but hey folks were still singing and dancing and alot of the songs were cool as a matter of fact one that should've been a disco hit but was recorded just before disco was ironically the marvelettes cover of the supremes classic[a breathtaking guy]now before ya'll jump on me for being on the hooch[haven't had a drop honest]just take a listen to the beat and then tell me it couldn't have been a disco hit...disco was cool!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe7ErAbLOI

Always loved this group....though, they didn't last too long. I always thought Alton had a Jean Terrell-ish quality to her voice. The best party music! Where's my platform shoes?

Disco was happy music no matter what you might think of it,the crap thats out today is some of the gloomiest stuff ever..down wit da man put em down yadda,yadda,yadda...give me disco anyday over this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Exactly... Vicki Sue Robinson used to say that she felt the '"Disco sucks" movement was just thinly veiled racism and homophobia.
    The "disco sucks" movement was thinly veiled racism, sexism, and homophobia, all the things that straight, white males saw as a threat to the dominance of white-boy guitar-based rock. And they use all kinds of flimsy excuses like the discos promote hedonism, while conveniently forgetting all of the excesses of the rock world. It's just like when they complain against rap. It's usually thinly-veiled racism. Compare it to the tea-baggers today...again, thinly-veiled racism.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe7ErAbLOI

Always loved this group....though, they didn't last too long. I always thought Alton had a Jean Terrell-ish quality to her voice. The best party music! Where's my platform shoes?
    Yeah, they were a good group. Did you know that in 1977 Alton McClain was one of the singers that was discussed as being a possible replacement for Mary Wilson in the Supremes?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The "disco sucks" movement was thinly veiled racism, sexism, and homophobia, all the things that straight, white males saw as a threat to the dominance of white-boy guitar-based rock. And they use all kinds of flimsy excuses like the discos promote hedonism, while conveniently forgetting all of the excesses of the rock world. It's just like when they complain against rap. It's usually thinly-veiled racism. Compare it to the tea-baggers today...again, thinly-veiled racism.
    Wow! Soulster preach on! I was thinking last night that it kind of reminded of the Tea Party movement. It's like " Since I don't like it........you're not going to get to enjoy it either!"

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Disco was happy music no matter what you might think of it,the crap thats out today is some of the gloomiest stuff ever..down wit da man put em down yadda,yadda,yadda...give me disco anyday over this crap.
    JAI, I agree. Man , we just had lot of fun in those days. I know tastes change as time goes on, but like you, I can't even listen to 80% of the music out there today. It is depressing and not very uplifting.

I liked this song, man did I like this song from 1978: Bell & James "Living It Up on Friday Night!"

Yeah, they were a good group. Did you know that in 1977 Alton McClain was one of the singers that was discussed as being a possible replacement for Mary Wilson in the Supremes?
    No, I didn't know that. Could have been interesting.

I liked disco -- not all of it. Of course I don't like all rock or even all soul. But disco had a lot of great tunes and artists. I like the Bee Gees a lot [[I know they're not an SDF favorite, oh well), Tavares, the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack, Vickie Sue Robinson, and others.

My favorite of that era was K.C. and the Sunshine Band, whom I just saw in a great concert a month ago.

I also agree that the disco bashing was definitely racist and homophobic, no question about it. Let's not forget, there was some awful rock and guitar rock at the same time.

disco

Up until the emergence of disco, I thought Motown was everything I ever wanted. Then I heard George McCrae.... the Ritchie Family... and disco was well and truly born. Motown went out of the window, and I yearned for anything disco.

When I was a student in Oxford, I went to disco almost every night until they closed at 2am. How I ever passed my degree is amazing! But by this time, Donna Summer had arrived, and Motown was something in the dim and distant past.

Oh, give me disco any day. Luckily we have BBR now issuing many of these records [[such as the first two major Gloria Gaynor disco albums) and once more [[for me) Motown is pushed aside. In my life [[and my world) disco is very much alive, kicking, thrusting and being what I love listening to when I'm in the gym, the car, doing housework or even trying to sleep!

I actually loved the era because it got everybody dancing. I didn't like some the later music that went on and on forever,
    but I did love stuff like KC & the Sunshine Band, Vicki Sue Robinson, Shirley & Co., etc.
    I actually danced in '78 on American Bandstand too! I think we did six shows with guests including Evelyn Champagne King,
    Rick James, High Inergy, Love & Kisses, etc. It was a fun era!

Gordy, what did you think about the Philadelphia sounds from the PIR stable, Spinners, and the Stylistics? And, how about Stax during the early 70s? Now, Stax didn't go near disco, but the producers from Philly were at the forefront of the disco sound at a time when Motown was still trying to find it's way out of the 60s.

I also love it. Like with anything, there is good and bad.

Everyone loves Bettye LaVette it seems NOW. Well I loved her even way back when she was doing Disco! LOL! From the Fall of 1978, here's Bettye and "Doin The Best That I Can" still a great record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9BZuIT0iQ

Oh boy....you got me going now....yep! I really liked this group and just wanted to share another one. Where ARE those damn platform shoes????

A few artifacts.......

One of the best, baddest records to come out during the era, Evelyn "Champagne" King and now classic. From the Summer of 1978, " SHAME" , you know Mama just don't understand...... LOL!

OK Marv, ya got me!! LOVED that stuff, LOVED going out to the clubs and dancing my behind off!! I didn't even mind dancing in those platform shoes. My favorite? SYLVESTER!!!!!!!!

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    And of course, the mainline rockers were seeing their market share decline, and they had expensive cocaine habits to support!
    And guess who were supplying their coke habit? Studio 54.

As for Silver Convention, I liked their music. The band reminds me of MFSB. I just don't get why there's so much emphasis on the singers and not much on the band. This is the first time seeing these SC vids. Talk about cheese

Does Get down & boogie have a different meaning in German? Like "stay there and don't make a sound!" This is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    OK Marv, ya got me!! LOVED that stuff, LOVED going out to the clubs and dancing my behind off!! I didn't even mind dancing in those platform shoes. My favorite? SYLVESTER!!!!!!!!
    Well Get On Down Moe, wit yo bad self! LOL! People kill me with the "I didn't like Disco" or "Disco Sucked". We were having so much fun on the weekends that we didn't realize how much until it was all over......!

I had the platforms and then morphed into the pointy toe "roach killers" around sometime in 1978. We'll put up some Sylvester for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post

Does Get down & boogie have a different meaning in German? Like "stay there and don't make a sound!" This is hilarious
    Disco71...et al [[by this time it was disco77) is a show that has a tough audience sometimes. sometimes acts got a cool reception unless the song was a hit already and everyone really liked the song. But other times, the audience is much more responsive [[and if they REALLY like you, they give you roses while your'e signing)
    Last edited by jillfoster; 10-27-2010 at 09:58 PM.

pshark Guest
    You do realize that Silver Convention was a German group

Yup. Brainchild of German producer Michael Kunze. Great music, too!

In fact, Munich, Germany is the birthplace of Eurodisco. It's also where Donna Summer got her start as an actor[[ress), where her producers Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte recorded her first albums.

And guess who were supplying their coke habit? Studio 54.

As for Silver Convention, I liked their music. The band reminds me of MFSB. I just don't get why there's so much emphasis on the singers and not much on the band. This is the first time seeing these SC vids. Talk about cheese

Pshark! You are killing me here! LOL!!!!!!

You do realize that Silver Convention was a German group
    I knew they were out of Germany. As were "Boney M"! Claudja Barry and I believe that is where Ladonna Gaines of Boston aka Donna Sommers got her start.

In fact, Munich, Germany is the birthplace of Eurodisco. It's also where Donna Summer got her start as an actor[[ress), where her producers Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte recorded her first albums.
    Soulster I did not see your post before I posted something similiar. Sorry

Since we're speaking "German", let's get down with some Kraftwerk and "Trans Europe Express"... 1978!

And to show what a small world it is, the gentelman in the clip I posted co-starred with Donna in the original German production of Hair in 1970.

pshark Guest

Why not Funk and kiss disco goodbye

I knew they were out of Germany. As were "Boney M"! Claudja Barry and I believe that is where Ladonna Gaines of Boston aka Donna Sommers got her start.
    Yeah that was a response to Jill's response to the "Get Down & Boogie" clip before she edited her post. She wrote something like "the act usually got a cool reception unless they were German or already had a hit".
    Ok disco was cool in the early part of the 70's. Then around 78 it started to get more formulated and repetitive. Live musicians were becoming extinct. And whatever live bands were left were getting watered down. The disco era was the beginning of the end. Yeah racism also played a part in the anti disco movement. But not always. There were some non racist Whites along with Blacks who hated it for the reasons I already mentioned.
    Now here's Jerome Brailey [[ex P-Funk drummer & original drummer on 5 Stairsteps "Ooh Child") w/ his band Mutiny singing about his feeling on disco

George Clinton was very vocal about his hatred of disco.

Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers hated disco, and only used it to get to rock music.

I loved funk more than disco, but they were both good. What pisses me off is how a lot of people confuse the two.

Yeah that was a response to Jill's response to the "Get Down & Boogie" clip before she edited her post. She wrote something like "the act usually got a cool reception unless they were German or already had a hit".
    Ok disco was cool in the early part of the 70's. Then around 78 it started to get more formulated and repetitive. Live musicians were becoming extinct. And whatever live bands were left were getting watered down. The disco era was the beginning of the end. Yeah racism also played a part in the anti disco movement. But not always. There were some non racist Whites along with Blacks who hated it for the reasons I already mentioned.
    Now here's Jerome Brailey [[ex P-Funk drummer & original drummer on 5 Stairsteps "Ooh Child") w/ his band Mutiny singing about his feeling on disco
    That's interesting regarding Jerome.

The other members of the Five Stairsteps became The Invisible Man's Band was made up of the Burke brothers [[Clarence Jr., Dennis, James, and Keni). All former members of the Five Stairsteps, best known for their 1970 million seller "O-o-h Child." The Burkes' highest-charting single under this moniker was the chugging dance single "All Night Thing"

George Clinton was very vocal about his hatred of disco.

Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers hated disco, and only used it to get to rock music.

I loved funk more than disco, but they were both good. What pisses me off is how a lot of people confuse the two.

It is funny to hear this because George and Chic saw their greatest successes during this period and they were with records that most people danced to. Regardless how they labled their music, people danced to "Aqua Boogie" and "Le Freak" in 1978 LOL!

It did get to a point where it got too commercial and formulated as I recall and I did not like it. By the time you had disco records by Ethel Merman, the Bradys and the Chipmunks, it had gone way too commerical. When the record companies started including "BPM or Beats Per Minute" on the packaging, is when "Disco" started loosing it's soul and began relying on a formula and that wasn't something I cared for.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Philly....

Gordy, what did you think about the Philadelphia sounds from the PIR stable, Spinners, and the Stylistics? And, how about Stax during the early 70s? Now, Stax didn't go near disco, but the producers from Philly were at the forefront of the disco sound at a time when Motown was still trying to find it's way out of the 60s.
    I always thought that PIR should and could so easily have overtaken Motown. I loved the Stylistics - they were just sensational. Generally, most things from PIR were good releases [[Three Degrees of course has just been issued on CD). However Stax.... probably not so keen.

I guess by the time Donna Summer was making her mark all over Europe, Sylvester had come into my life, as had Karen Young with her Hot Shot, and yet to arrive were Lime, Carol Jiani, France Gall, Yvonne Elliman with Love Pains, Sharon Redd, Odyssey, Dynasty, Imagination, Shalamar, Change, Divine.... oh yes, the amazing Divine!

Now those were the days of endless happiness!