[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The DISCO Era! Come On, You Know You Liked It!

Folks, now that Chic has issued a box set. I was thinking that it should be ok now to finally discuss the music of the Disco Era that was roughly 1974-80. For years people would not admit that they liked some of the music, but there really was some good and memorable recordings to come out of all of that self indugence and debauchery......... LOL! Let's discuss. One of my favorites from the era was

Peter Brown's "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me - 1977

Here's another one that had us dancing and trying be cool.....hehehehe.....
    Last edited by marv2; 10-27-2010 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Great clip Jim
    !

Are you kidding? It's always been cool to discuss disco in my world! It's nothing but another musical style. Some good, some bad.

But, those two examples are what I call FUNK! To me, disco is more like Silver Convention's "Fly Robin Fly" or YMCA by Village People. Still, it's all good.

Exactly... Vicki Sue Robinson used to say that she felt the '"Disco sucks" movement was just thinly veiled racism and homophobia. And I agree. And of course, the mainline rockers were seeing their market share decline, and they had expensive cocaine habits to support! But Disco never died, it just changed it's name to dance.. then house... etc... like any genre, there's good and there's bad. Here's some good:

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Exactly... Vicki Sue Robinson used to say that she felt the '"Disco sucks" movement was just thinly veiled racism and homophobia.
    The "disco sucks" movement was thinly veiled racism, sexism, and homophobia, all the things that straight, white males saw as a threat to the dominance of white-boy guitar-based rock. And they use all kinds of flimsy excuses like the discos promote hedonism, while conveniently forgetting all of the excesses of the rock world. It's just like when they complain against rap. It's usually thinly-veiled racism. Compare it to the tea-baggers today...again, thinly-veiled racism.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The "disco sucks" movement was thinly veiled racism, sexism, and homophobia, all the things that straight, white males saw as a threat to the dominance of white-boy guitar-based rock. And they use all kinds of flimsy excuses like the discos promote hedonism, while conveniently forgetting all of the excesses of the rock world. It's just like when they complain against rap. It's usually thinly-veiled racism. Compare it to the tea-baggers today...again, thinly-veiled racism.
    Wow! Soulster preach on! I was thinking last night that it kind of reminded of the Tea Party movement. It's like " Since I don't like it........you're not going to get to enjoy it either!"

I liked this song, man did I like this song from 1978: Bell & James "Living It Up on Friday Night!"

Soulster, "Fly Robin,Fly" by Silver Convention was one my Dad use to like. I can remember coming home from high school and hearing blasting coming up from basement LOL!

The two I started this thread off with were considered "dance records" aka disco where I lived , Detroit and Toledo.

Here's one that was also very popular : Johnnie Taylor's "Disco Lady"

Jill you picked 3 great ones!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Here's one that was also very popular : Johnnie Taylor's "Disco Lady"

...except that Johnnie Taylor himself had said that the song isn't disco. It's R&B.

Disco is cool with me,alot of folks got upset but hey folks were still singing and dancing and alot of the songs were cool as a matter of fact one that should've been a disco hit but was recorded just before disco was ironically the marvelettes cover of the supremes classic[a breathtaking guy]now before ya'll jump on me for being on the hooch[haven't had a drop honest]just take a listen to the beat and then tell me it couldn't have been a disco hit...disco was cool!!!

...except that Johnnie Taylor himself had said that the song isn't disco. It's R&B.
    Considering that musical backing for Disco Lady came from various P-Funk alumni, that song could be labeled Funk.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Considering that musical backing for Disco Lady came from various P-Funk alumni, that song could be labeled Funk.
    That's exactly what it is! Funk. call it funk, R&B, but it's not disco.

I'm mean everybody was doing it! hehehehe:

Here we are in 1978 at the height of the Disco Era and we have Karen Young out of Philly doing "Hot Shot"!

I HATE Silver convention. Their two biggest songs had a grand total of less than 10 words for lyrics. Boring as hell. another good one I like:

I don't care if it was called the "Disco Era". 1974- 1980 and beyond I was into Funk. I don't mean to tell people what they
    should listen to and I had a lot of respect for Vickie Sue Robinson but alhthough I know there may have been some truth
    to her statement as far as a lot of rockers were concerned, I felt and still feel for the most part, Disco sucked. Big time.
    Of course there were exceptions and some artists tried to work creatively in the genre but even many of those felt it was
    not their best work or what they really wanted to be doing. They really just wanted to keep working and getting paid.
    Disco is by far my least favorite of all of the predominately black music genres, the only thing I care less for is anything
    produced by Ian Levine...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I don't care if it was called the "Disco Era". 1974- 1980 and beyond I was into Funk. I don't mean to tell people what they
    should listen to and I had a lot of respect for Vickie Sue Robinson but alhthough I know there may have been some truth
    to her statement as far as a lot of rockers were concerned, I felt and still feel for the most part, Disco sucked. Big time.
    Of course there were exceptions and some artists tried to work creatively in the genre but even many of those felt it was
    not their best work or what they really wanted to be doing. They really just wanted to keep working and getting paid.
    Disco is by far my least favorite of all of the predominately black music genres, the only thing I care less for is anything
    produced by Ian Levine...

Splanky, let's talk about the exceptions. Was there one record that you liked between the years 1974 and 1980 that was classified as "Disco"?

I did not like Ian Levine's productions either. But those were from the 90's for the most part.

Anyway, this was a popular record in late '77 and I am sure you can imagine why: Remember?

I always just thought that people that hated "disco music" and disco nightclubs were ones that couldn't dance; didn 't know how to dance! LOL!

From the Summer of 1974, George McCrae with "Rock Your Baby"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe7ErAbLOI

Always loved this group....though, they didn't last too long. I always thought Alton had a Jean Terrell-ish quality to her voice. The best party music! Where's my platform shoes?

Disco was happy music no matter what you might think of it,the crap thats out today is some of the gloomiest stuff ever..down wit da man put em down yadda,yadda,yadda...give me disco anyday over this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Disco was happy music no matter what you might think of it,the crap thats out today is some of the gloomiest stuff ever..down wit da man put em down yadda,yadda,yadda...give me disco anyday over this crap.
    JAI, I agree. Man , we just had lot of fun in those days. I know tastes change as time goes on, but like you, I can't even listen to 80% of the music out there today. It is depressing and not very uplifting.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe7ErAbLOI

Always loved this group....though, they didn't last too long. I always thought Alton had a Jean Terrell-ish quality to her voice. The best party music! Where's my platform shoes?
    Yeah, they were a good group. Did you know that in 1977 Alton McClain was one of the singers that was discussed as being a possible replacement for Mary Wilson in the Supremes?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah, they were a good group. Did you know that in 1977 Alton McClain was one of the singers that was discussed as being a possible replacement for Mary Wilson in the Supremes?
    No, I didn't know that. Could have been interesting.

I liked disco -- not all of it. Of course I don't like all rock or even all soul. But disco had a lot of great tunes and artists. I like the Bee Gees a lot [[I know they're not an SDF favorite, oh well), Tavares, the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack, Vickie Sue Robinson, and others.

My favorite of that era was K.C. and the Sunshine Band, whom I just saw in a great concert a month ago.

I also agree that the disco bashing was definitely racist and homophobic, no question about it. Let's not forget, there was some awful rock and guitar rock at the same time.

disco

Up until the emergence of disco, I thought Motown was everything I ever wanted. Then I heard George McCrae.... the Ritchie Family... and disco was well and truly born. Motown went out of the window, and I yearned for anything disco.

When I was a student in Oxford, I went to disco almost every night until they closed at 2am. How I ever passed my degree is amazing! But by this time, Donna Summer had arrived, and Motown was something in the dim and distant past.

Oh, give me disco any day. Luckily we have BBR now issuing many of these records [[such as the first two major Gloria Gaynor disco albums) and once more [[for me) Motown is pushed aside. In my life [[and my world) disco is very much alive, kicking, thrusting and being what I love listening to when I'm in the gym, the car, doing housework or even trying to sleep!

I actually loved the era because it got everybody dancing. I didn't like some the later music that went on and on forever,
    but I did love stuff like KC & the Sunshine Band, Vicki Sue Robinson, Shirley & Co., etc.
    I actually danced in '78 on American Bandstand too! I think we did six shows with guests including Evelyn Champagne King,
    Rick James, High Inergy, Love & Kisses, etc. It was a fun era!

Gordy, what did you think about the Philadelphia sounds from the PIR stable, Spinners, and the Stylistics? And, how about Stax during the early 70s? Now, Stax didn't go near disco, but the producers from Philly were at the forefront of the disco sound at a time when Motown was still trying to find it's way out of the 60s.

Philly....

Gordy, what did you think about the Philadelphia sounds from the PIR stable, Spinners, and the Stylistics? And, how about Stax during the early 70s? Now, Stax didn't go near disco, but the producers from Philly were at the forefront of the disco sound at a time when Motown was still trying to find it's way out of the 60s.
    I always thought that PIR should and could so easily have overtaken Motown. I loved the Stylistics - they were just sensational. Generally, most things from PIR were good releases [[Three Degrees of course has just been issued on CD). However Stax.... probably not so keen.

I guess by the time Donna Summer was making her mark all over Europe, Sylvester had come into my life, as had Karen Young with her Hot Shot, and yet to arrive were Lime, Carol Jiani, France Gall, Yvonne Elliman with Love Pains, Sharon Redd, Odyssey, Dynasty, Imagination, Shalamar, Change, Divine.... oh yes, the amazing Divine!

Now those were the days of endless happiness!

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    I always thought that PIR should and could so easily have overtaken Motown. I loved the Stylistics - they were just sensational. Generally, most things from PIR were good releases [[Three Degrees of course has just been issued on CD). However Stax.... probably not so keen.

I guess by the time Donna Summer was making her mark all over Europe, Sylvester had come into my life, as had Karen Young with her Hot Shot, and yet to arrive were Lime, Carol Jiani, France Gall, Yvonne Elliman with Love Pains, Sharon Redd, Odyssey, Dynasty, Imagination, Shalamar, Change, Divine.... oh yes, the amazing Divine!

Now those were the days of endless happiness!
    What planet were you on in the early 70? PIR did take over Motown! For a good time, PIR could do no wrong! The O'Jays, Three degrees, Billy Paul, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, and let's not forget MFSB! They had perhaps the best and best-known instrumental of the 70s, and that track was the theme from Soul Train for it's 1974 season! The best Motown could do is the occasional hit from Jackson Five, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, or The Temptations. PIR fizzled out after 1975, with only tew or three hits after that because of internal friction between the writers and Gamble & Huff. Overall, the Philly sound was still quite alive. MFSB could still be heard on hits by Stylistics, Spinners, Salsoul Orchestra, and The Ritchie Family.

Stax? Bad business moves killed them off. Their loss, Columbia's gain: The Emotions and Johnnie Taylor.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-28-2010 at 12:23 PM.

I remember a song during the disco era around 1976 and have been trying to figure out the name of the song and artist. Anyone remember a song sung by a group [[ I think) with a male lead singing the words, "Everbody in Hollywood is gettin' down to the afro sound [[yea); accross the land from Jamaica to Japan they're partying down...?

It was October 31, 1978 and I was at a party in the dorm's recreation room when I heard this for the very first time!Mais Qui? C'est Chic!!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by muzicmuse44 View Post
    I remember a song during the disco era around 1976 and have been trying to figure out the name of the song and artist. Anyone remember a song sung by a group [[ I think) with a male lead singing the words, "Everbody in Hollywood is gettin' down to the afro sound [[yea); accross the land from Jamaica to Japan they're partying down...?
    That's a good one. I'm going to have to work on that one and get back to you.

I cannot believe that Tom Moulton has not joined this thread yet! He is after all the inventor of the Disco Mix! How heavy is that? Tom, where are you?

151 - On The Beat - B. B. & Q. Band

152 - Dancing Queen - Abba

153 - You Gave Me Love - Crown Heights Affair

154 - Follow Me - Amanda Lear

155 - Knock On Wood - Ami Stewart

156 - You're The One For Me - D Train

157 - Ring My Bell - Anita Ward

158 - My Baby's Baby - Liquid Gold

159 - Boogie Nights - Heatwave

160 - Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry

161 - Y. M. C. A. - Village People

162 - Hills Of Katmandu - Tantra

163 - Love Is In You - Nightlife Unlimited

164 - My Sweet Summer Suite - Love Unlimited

165 - Get Off - Foxy

166 - Get Up And Boogie - Freddie James

167 - H. A. P. P. Y. Radio - Edwin Starr

168 - Le Spank - Le Pamplemousse

169 - Night Fever - Bee Gees

170 - Tale Of Three Cities - Salsoul Orchestra

171 - Your Love - Lime

172 - Get Down Tonight - KC & The Sunshine Band

173 - High On Mad Mountain - Mike Theodore

174 - Jungle DJ - Kikrokos

175 - Menergy - Patrick Cowley

176 - Sinner Man - Sarah Dash

177 - Love Is In The Air - John Paul Young

178 - Forbidden Love - Madleen Kane

179 - Love Injection - Trussell

180 - Standing In The Rain - Don Ray

181 - Rock The Boat - Hues Corporation

182 - Mainline - Black Ivory

183 - I'll Always Love My Mama - Intruders

184 - September - Earth, Wind and Fire

185 - Dance And Shake Your Tambourine - Universal Robot Band

186 - Love Attack - Ferrara

187 - Mellow Lovin' - Judy Cheeks

188 - Beat The Clock - Sparks

189 - Music - Montreal Sound

190 - One More Minute - Saint Tropez [[St. Tropez)

191 - Soul Makossa - Manu Dibango

192 - Lady America - Voyage

193 - Staying Alive - Bee Gees

194 - Love's Coming/Baby Love - USA European Connection

195 - In The Forrest - Baby O

195 - Spank - Jimmy "Bo" Horne

197 - Up Jumped The Devil - John Davis & The Monster Orchestra

198 - Love Disco Style - Erotic Drum Band

199 - Cassanova Brown - Gloria Gaynor

200 - Overture - D. C. LaRue

201 - Stomp - Brothers Johnson

202 - Doctor's Orders - Carol Douglas

203 - My Love Is Free - Double Exposure

204 - Star Wars Theme - Meco

205 - Standing Right Here - Melba Moore

206 - The Bull - Mike Theodore Orchestra

207 - Touch Me In The Morning - Marlena Shaw

208 - Dancing Fever - Claudja Barry

209 - Pleasure Island - Paul Jabara

210 - The Runner - Three Degrees

211 - Let Me Take You Dancing - Bryan Adams

212 - Love Is The Ultimate - Ultimate

213 - Dance Little Dreamer - Gregg Diamond / Bionic Boogie

214 - Rock With You - Michael Jackson

215 - Shake Your Groove Thing - Peaches & Herb

216 - Your My First, My Last, My Everything - Barry White

217 - One, Two, three [[Counting On Love) - Peter Jacques Band

218 - Groove Me - Fern Kinney

219 - Dance Yourself Dizzy - ]Liquid Gold

220 - Deputy Of Love - Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band

221 - Pick Me Up, I'll Dance - Melba Moore

222 - Free Man - South Shore Commission

223 - Come On Dance Dance - Saturday Night Band

224 - Can't Fake The Feeling - Geraldine Hunt

225 - Dazz - Brick

226 - Two Hot For Love - THP Orchestra

227 - Haven't You Heard - Patrice Rushen

228 - If You Could Read My Mind - Viola Wills

229 - Boogie Motion - Beautiful Bend

230 - Don't Cry For Me Argentina - Festival

231 - Could It Be Magic - Donna Summer

232 - T. S. O. P. - M.F.S.B. [[M. F. S. B. / MFSB)

233 - You Should Be Dancing - Bee Gees

234 - Makin' It - David Naughton

235 - A Lover's Holiday - Change

236 - Fell In Love For The First Time Today - Carol Douglas

237 - Heaven Must Have Sent You - Bonnie Pointer

238 - Motown Review - Philly Cream

239 - Music Is My Way Of Life - Patti Labelle

240 - Symphony Of Love - Miquel Brown

241 - Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Original Larry Levan 12" Mix) - Inner Life

242 - I'm Ok, You're Ok - American Gypsy

243 - Melodies - Made In USA

244 - The Love I Lost - Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes

245 - Sunset People - Donna Summer

246 - Thank God It's Friday - Love and Kisses

247 - Caf? - D. D. Sound

248 - It's A Better Than Good Time [[Walter Gibbons Remix) - Gladys Knight And The Pips

249 - Moskow Diskow - Telex

250 - Caught Up [[In A One Night Love Affair) - Inner Life

251 - Ite Missa Est - Martin Circus

252 - Shine On Silver Moon - Marilyn Mccoo & Billy Davis Jr.

253 - I Love You - Donna Summer

254 - Moonlight Lovin' - Isaac Hayes

255 - Family Affair - M. F. S. B.

256 - Hijack - Herbie Mann - Vinyl

257 - Celebration - Kool And The Gang

258 - Perfect Love Affair - Constellation Orchestra

259 - Saturday Night, Sunday Morning - Thelma Houston

260 - Quiet Village - Ritchie Family

261 - Spacer - Sheila B. Devotion

262 - Copacobana [[En El Copa) - Barry Manilow

263 - Shake Your Body Down To The Ground - The jacksons

264 - A Night To Remember - Shalamar

265 - Do Your Dance - Rose Royce

266 - In The Raw - Whispers

267 - [[Everybody) Get Dancin' - Bombers

268 - Macho Man - Village People

269 - Open Sesame - Kool And The Gang

270 - Rock Your Baby - George McRae

271 - Touch And Go - Ecstasy, Passion & Pain

272 - Atmospheric Strut - Cloud One

273 - Foot Stompin' Music - [[Hamilton) Bohannon

274 - Paradise - Change

275 - Magic Fly - Kebekelektrik

276 - Don't Take Away The Music - Tavares

277 - It Only Takes A Minute Girl - Tavares

278 - Fly, Robin, Fly - Silver Convention

279 - Keep Your Body Working - Kleeer

280 - Found A Cure - Ashford And Simpson

281 - Hot Butterfly - Gregg Diamond / Bionic Boogie

282 - It's Ecstasy When You... - Barry White

283 - After Dark - Patti Brooks

284 - Put Your Feet To The Beat - Ritchie Family

285 - Dreamin' - Loleatta Holloway

Call Me - Blondie

287 - Hold On To My Love - Jimmy Ruffin

288 - Boogie Down - Blackwell

289 - Bye Love - 5000 Volts - Vinyl

290 - Shoot Your Best Shot - Linda Clifford

291 - Sweet Dynamite - Claudja Barry

292 - Another Cha Cha - Santa Esmeralda

293 - Plato's Retreat - Joe Thomas

294 - African Queens - Ritchie Family

295 - At Midnight - T Connection

296 - I'm In Love - Evelyn "Champagne" King

297 - Woman - Barrabas

298 - Lady Night - Patrick Juvet

299 - It's Alright - Gino Soccio

300 - Shake It Up Tonight - Cheryl Lynn

301 - Que Tal America - Two Man Sound

302 - Accidental Lover - Love and Kisses

303 - Body Music - Strikers, The

304 - Here Comes That Sound Again - Love De-Luxe

305 - Let The Music Play - Arpeggio

306 - Party - KC And The Sunshine Band

307 - Rock It - Lipps Inc.

308 - Touch Me Baby - Ultimate

309 - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe - Barry White

310 - Give Your Body Up - Billy Nichols

311 - Going Back To My Roots - Odyssey

312 - Is It All Over My Face - Loose Joints

313 - Looking For Love - Fat Larry's Band

314 - The End - Change

315 - The Visitors - Abba

316 - Get Your Chic Together - Class

317 - Let Me Down Easy/Good Morning Midnight / Great Expectations [[Suite) - First Choice

318 - My Forbidden Lover - Chic

319 - Take Me Home - Cher

320 - Tango Hustle - Kay Gees

321 - Bad Company - Ullanda McCullough

322 - Brick House - Commodores

323 - Cream Always Rises To The Top - Bionic Boogie / Gregg Diamond

324 - Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - Michael Jackson

325 - Jingo - Candido

326 - You And I - Delagation

327 - I Love To Love - Tina Charles

328 - Never Knew Love Like This Before - Stephanie Mills

329 - One Love - Celi Bee

330 - Anybody Wanna Party? - Gloria Gaynor

331 - It's A War - Kano

332 - Time Is Running Out - The Tymes

333 - Come Let Me Love You - Jeanette "Lady" Day

334 - Dance With Me - Peter Brown

335 - I Don't Know What I'd Do - Sweet Cream

336 - Six Million Steps - Rhani Harris.

337 - Theme From S.W.A.T. - Rhythm Heritage

338 - When The Fuel Runs Out - Executive Suite

339 - All American Girls - Sister Sledge

340 - Just Be Good To Me - S. O. S. Band

341 - Kjee - M.F.S.B. [[M. F. S. B. / MFSB)

342 - Love Sensation - Loleatta Holloway

343 - Lucky - Donna Summer

344 - Make That Feeling Come Again - Beautiful Bend

345 - Never Gonna Say Goodbye - Poussez

346 - Why Can't We Live Together - Timmy Thomas

347 - Can You Handle It? - Sharon Redd

348 - Don't Let Go - Isaac Hayes

349 - Get Dancing - Disco Tex And The Sex-o-lettes

350 - I Can't Stand The Rain - Eruption

351 - Let No Man Put Asunder - First Choice

352 - Never Gonna Be The Same - Ruth Waters

353 - This Beat Is Mine - Vicki D

354 - Ask Me - Ecstasy, Passion, & Pain

355 - Dance To Dance - Gino Soccio

356 - La Vie En Rose - Grace Jones

357 - Sure Shot - Tracy Weber

358 - Trans Europe Express - Kraftwerk

359 - Upside Down - Diana Ross

360 - Cathedrals - D. C. LaRue

361 - Dancin' At The Disco - L. A. X.

362 - I Don't Want To Be A Freak - Dynasty

363 - I Was Born This Way [[Tom Moulton Remix) - Carl Bean

364 - Law And Order - Love Committee

365 - Lust - Rinder & Lewis

366 - Machine Gun - Commodores

367 - Undercover Lover - Debbie Jacobs

368 - You + Me = Love - Undisputed Truth

369 - Dirty Ol' Man - Three Degrees

370 - Manhattan Love Song - King Errisson

371 - Suite Seventeen - Marlena Shaw

372 - This Will Be A Night To Remember - Eddie Holman

373 - Tonight [[I'm Alright) - Narada Michael Walden

374 - What Cha Gonna Do With My Lovin' - Stephanie Mills

375 - You Can Get Over - Stephanie Mills

376 - It's Raining Men - Weather Girls

377 - One Nation - Funkadelic

378 - Sunny - Yambu

379 - Weekend - Phreek

380 - Get Down - Voyage

381 - Infatuation - Upfront

382 - I Don't Know If It's Right - Evelyn King

383 - I Love N. Y. - Metropolis

384 - Love Hangover - Diana Ross

385 - Rio De Janeiro - Gary Criss

386 - Saturday - Norma Jean

387 - Take Off - Harlow - Vinyl

388 - The Visitors - Gino Soccio

389 - In The Bottle - Joe Bataan

390 - Miss You - Rolling Stones

391 - Which Way Is Up - Stargard

392 - Without Your Love - Cut Glass

393 - You're All I Have - Poussez

394 - Lady Bump - Penny McLean

395 - Magnifique - Magnifique

396 - Sexy - M. F. S. B.

397 - Twilight Zone - Manhattan Transfer

398 - Cuba - Gibson Brothers

399 - Dancin Johnson - Bill Saluga

400 - Let The Music Play - Shannon

401 - Livin' It Up - Bell and James

402 - Nice And Nasty - Salsoul Orchestra

403 - Daddy Cool - Boney M

404 - Earth Can Be Just Like Heaven [[Remix) - Two Tons O Fun

405 - Love Pains - Yvonne Elliman

406 - Do Or Die - Grace Jones

407 - Love Magic - John Davis & The Monster Orchestra

408 - Mr. DJ You No How To Make Me Dance - The Glass Family

409 - Superstar - Bob McGilpin

410 - Back Together Again [[Remix) - Roberta Flack Featuring Donny Hathaway

411 - Beyond The Clouds - Quartz

412 - Enough Is Enough [[No More Tears) - Donna Summer with Barbra Streisand

413 - We're On The Right Track - South Shore Commission

414 - Bounce, Rock, Roll, Skate - Vaughn Mason And Crew

415 - Flashdance - Irene Cara

416 - I Specialize In Love - Sharon Brown

417 - Over & Over - [Sylvester

418 - Sentimentally It's You - Theo Vaness

419 - Can't Live Without Your Love - Tamiko Jones - >Buy CD OR Vinyl

420 - Fascinated - Company B

421 - Feel Like Dancing - France Joli

422 - Soul - Frankie Valli

423 - Starchild - Level 42

424 - Stars - Sylvester

425 - Tangerine - Salsoul Orchestra

426 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 Blow Your Whistle - Gary Toms

427 - Fancy Dancer - Gregg Diamond's Star Cruiser Band

428 - Heart Of Glass - Blondie

429 - Is This The Future? - Fatback

430 - Searching - Change

431 - Lets Go Round Again - Average White Band

432 - Love X Love - George Benson

433 - One More Shot - C-Bank

434 - Crank It Up - Peter Brown

435 - Fantasy - Bruni Pagan

436 - Love Rollercoaster - Ohio Players

437 - Mercy - Carol Jiani

438 - Armed And Extremely Dangerous - First Choice

439 - Jump To The Beat - Stacy Lattisaw

440 - It Must Be Love - Alton McClain And Destiny

441 - Lipstick - Michel Polnareff

442 - Make Me Believe In You [[Tom Moulton Remix) - Patti Jo

443 - No One Gets The Prize/The Boss [[12" Remix) - Diana Ross

444 - Ritzy Mambo - Salsoul Orchestra

445 - What A Difference A Day Makes - Esther Phillips

446 - You Stepped Into My Life - Melba Moore

447 - Dance - Paradise Express

448 - Do You Love Me - Patti Austin

449 - Heaven Is A Disco [[Medley) - Paul Jabara

450 - Heavy Vibes - Montana Sextet

451 - I Wanna Dance - Asha

452 - Jump Shout [[Remix) - Lisa

453 - Let's Mend What's Been Broken - Gloria Gaynor

454 - Love Rescue - Project

455 - Malaguena - Pico

456 - Babe Were Gonna Love Tonight - Lime

457 - Sea Hunt - Patrick Cowley

458 - Slide - Slave

459 - Strut Your Funky Stuff - Frantique

460 - Summer Of '42 - Biddu Orchestra

461 - That's The Trouble - Grace Jones

462 - The Very Best In You - Change

463 - Trocadero Suite - Alec R. Costandinos

464 - Angel Eyes - Lime

465 - Beat Box - Art of Noise

466 - California Strut - Walter Murphy

467 - Can We Try Again - Technique

468 - Dance With You - Carrie Lucas

469 - Dancing In Paradise - El Coco

470 - Feelin' Lucky Lately - High Fashion

471 - Forbidden Lover - Tapps

472 - In Private - Dusty Springfield

473 - Judas Iscariot - Sphinx [[Alec Costandinos)

474 - Just Be Yourself - Nightlife Unlimited

475 - Just Begun - Jimmy Castor Bunch

476 - Koka - American Eagles

477 - Let My Heart Do The Walking - Supremes

478 - Look Me Up - Blue Magic

479 - My Baby's Got E. S. P - Four Below Zero

480 - Plug Me To Death - Erotic Drum Band

481 - The Player - First Choice

482 - You Set My Heart On Fire - Tina Charles

483 - Your Disco - Transvolta

484 - Your Move - Change

485 - Arabian Nights Medley - The Ritchie Family

486 - Don't Stop The Music - Yarborough & Peoples

487 - Hang Together - Odyssey

488 - Heaven Knows - Donna Summer

489 - Here's To You - Skyy

490 - I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten - The Simon Orchestra

491 - I Get Lifted - Jimmy "Bo" Horne

492 - I'll Do My Best [[For You Baby) - Ritchie Family

493 - Keep It Up - Olympic Runners

494 - Let's Clean Up The Ghetto - Philadelphia International All Stars

495 - Love Don't Go Thru No Changes On Me - Sister Sledge

496 - On The Radio - Donna Summer

497 - Ooh I Love It - Salsoul Orchestra

498 - Party Line - Andrea True Connection

499 - Remember Me/Ain't No Mountain - Boystown Gang

500 - Spin It - Sunbelt

For the record, pardon the pun, I do not wholly agree with the above list and the selections. Too much good stuff was left off and some very obscure garbage was included. See what you think.

I am here.Just reading about others thoughts on it and what it meant to them. I don't have to tell you what it meant to me. You can hear it in the Music.

Hi Marv, I missed this post originally. I am not sure what I could have added except that Disco to me was Soul Music with a Groove you could move to. And Did We Move!!!!

marv, this thread inspired me to play some of the classic disco cuts we were discussing here and yes marv, do u wanna get funky with me is on there! lol.

juice - u really broke it down on that classic peak of the disco era[[78-79) but u left out:

bell and james livin' it up
    the isleys - it's a disco night
    roy ayers - running away
    barry white - your sweetness
    hot shot - karen young
    ring my bell - anita ward
    relight my fire & instant replay - dan hartman

Even gospel divas The Clark Sister got on the disco band wagon with this 1979 song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SlMMHUxfCs

Once upon a time for a class, I wrote a piece on whether I think the "death of disco" was overrated. Most of the backlash I see on the genre are from individuals like my grandparents who preferred adult contemporary and folk / folk-country. Nowadays, especially in the respective dance and LGBTQA communities, disco is celebrated for its campy aesthetic and the technological advances in the studio. While the modern incarnation of dance music may not reflect what it began as in the disco years, many DJs have respect to what the era stood for from a musical position. Even recent sub-genres like "Nu-Disco" attempt to mix older analog synth elements and percussion patterns of disco, with modern studio techniques.

It was much to my family's chagrin when I got addicted to ABBA and later more American 70s disco.

P.S. Two of the greatest unintentional novelty albums came from disco, like The Ethel Merman Disco Album, or Elton John's Victim of Love [[released a little too late for the times)

while this isn't so much soul related, they are fun albums to laugh to. Ethel Merman didn't actually hear any of the disco production, but instead came in and sang her showtunes like she always did in acapella. You'll notice how the production always seems a 1/2 beat off with her vocal track.

I have nothing insightful to add about Elton John's only disco album. I'm pretty sure it falls in the timeline of the height of his coke addiction, when it really started to take a toll on the quality of his music.
    Last edited by loganjlr; 05-25-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post
    Once upon a time for a class, I wrote a piece on whether I think the "death of disco" was overrated. Most of the backlash I see on the genre are from individuals like my grandparents who preferred adult contemporary and folk / folk-country. Nowadays, especially in the respective dance and LGBTQA communities, disco is celebrated for its campy aesthetic and the technological advances in the studio. While the modern incarnation of dance music may not reflect what it began as in the disco years, many DJs have respect to what the era stood for from a musical position. Even recent sub-genres like "Nu-Disco" attempt to mix older analog synth elements and percussion patterns of disco, with modern studio techniques.

It was much to my family's chagrin when I got addicted to ABBA and later more American 70s disco.

P.S. Two of the greatest unintentional novelty albums came from disco, like The Ethel Merman Disco Album, or Elton John's Victim of Love [[released a little too late for the times)

while this isn't so much soul related, they are fun albums to laugh to. Ethel Merman didn't actually hear any of the disco production, but instead came in and sang her showtunes like she always did in acapella. You'll notice how the production always seems a 1/2 beat off with her vocal track.

I have nothing insightful to add about Elton John's only disco album. I'm pretty sure it falls in the timeline of the height of his coke addiction, when it really started to take a toll on the quality of his music.
    That's not true at all regarding the Ethel Merman recording. She performed several of the songs on television with several of the studio musicians and the producer present! I saw her interviewed at least twice about her Disco record. Once on the Tonight Show and once on the Mike Douglas Show.

All the stuff out there today is nothing but pure garbage. They have lost the ability to be original and music suffers because of it!

I also love it. Like with anything, there is good and bad.

Everyone loves Bettye LaVette it seems NOW. Well I loved her even way back when she was doing Disco! LOL! From the Fall of 1978, here's Bettye and "Doin The Best That I Can" still a great record: