[REMOVE ADS]

Chicago, Illinois Record Stores

I am considering a trip to the Windy City in the last quarter of 2013. Can anyone recommend any good record stores that specialize in vinyl, I am particularly interested in Motown records. I do not want to wander too far from the downtown shopping district. Any good suggestions? Thank you.

Come on down Mr. Woodward. It's very cool here in ChiTown. I have two places you might want to consider for your vinyl fix.

Jazz Record Mart - 27 E. Illinois Av. is very close to downtown and carries vinyl of all sorts and has a great staff.

Dusty Groove - 1120 N. Ashland Av. is a little further away, but still easy to find.

Both stores have websites and phones number for early inquires. Best of luck to you and have great time while you're in town.

Sorry for the belated reply. Hope this isn't too late!

If you don't mind venturing north to the Lakeview neighborhood, Dave's Records is worth checking out. It's a tiny bowling alley of a shop - but they carry nothing but vinyl, and there's a nook in the back of the store stuffed with 45s. The Lakeview branch of Reckless Records, which carries a general selection of used vinyl and CD's, isn't too far away. One advantage of Reckless is that you can search their inventory online.

Dave's Records
    2604 N. Clark St.
    Chicago, IL 60614
    773-929-6325
    http://www.davesrecordschicago.com/

Reckless Records [[Lakeview)
    3126 N. Broadway
    Chicago, IL 60657
    773-404-5080
    http://www.reckless.com

There's another Reckless location just a couple of blocks north on Milwaukee Avenue from Dusty Groove:

Reckless Records [[Wicker Park)
    1532 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60622
    773-235-3727

I haven't visited the Jazz Record Mart, but I second the recommendation for Dusty Groove - a great place for soul/funk/R&B! Their catalog is also online at http://www.dustygroove.com/.

Finally, there is a third Reckless branch in the Loop. I wouldn't go out of my way as the selection there is very limited, but it might be worth a peek if you pass by:

Reckless Records [[Loop)
    26 E. Madison
    Chicago, IL 60602
    312-795-0878

Happy hunting!
    Last edited by cdave2; 10-16-2013 at 03:03 AM. Reason: typo