[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Martin Has Passed On

Truly sad to hear this. I always thought he was underrated. He and Thom arranged some of the best music of my life. I really appreciated Bobby's talent and what he meant to TSOP.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    September 10, 2013

PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL RECORDS CO-FOUNDERS
    AND LEGENDARY PRODUCERS
    KENNETH GAMBLE & LEON HUFF
    MOURN THE LOSS OF 'SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA' ARRANGER
    BOBBY MARTIN

PHILADELPHIA - Legendary Philadelphia International Records co-founders and R&B pioneers Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff released the following joint statement today as they mourned the passing of Bobby Martin, a key arranger of some of "The Sound of Philadelphia's" much-loved hits, including "Me & Mrs. Jones," "You'll Never Find [[Another Love Like Mine)," "Cowboys to Girls," and the Grammy Award-winning "TSOP [[The Sound of Philadelphia)," also known as the Soul Train theme.

"He was the greatest arranger. We were able to work together with him to come up with a fantastic sound. He was part of a group of arrangers with us that included Thom Bell, Norman Harris, and Roland Chambers, and a vital part of the MFSB team who made major contributions. Bobby was tireless. He used to work all night on arrangements for us. Remembering his work ethic, and what it was like to just be around him, reminds us what a great time it was to be in the music business. "

As a top arranger, conductor and composer for the MFSB orchestra, "The Sound of Philadelphia" house band that is due to be inducted next month onto the Philadelphia Walk of Fame, Martin arranged major hits for the likes of Billy Paul, Lou Rawls, the Intruders, Dusty Springfield, and Patti LaBelle. Gamble & Huff fondly recalled today that Martin was the first person to record Ms. LaBelle, and was credited with creating her stage name. Martin often was referred to as "The Granddaddy of R&B and Soul."

"We send our sincere condolences to the Martin family," said Gamble & Huff. "He will be truly missed."

mr june, you just beat me to it. I was about to post a link to the same article. This is when I really miss Weldon McDougal. He would have had a ton to say about Mr. Martin. Does anybody know what he was doing during his latter years?

He also worked on a Manhattans' album in the 70's.

Sorry to hear this, may he rest in peace.
    Thanks for the great music.

S.S.

Chi, wasn't he living in Vegas in recent years? I thought I read that some where. Like Soul Sisters mentioned he was involved with the Manhattans also and I remember his work with Tavares just to name another group. Bobby Martin without a doubt at least deserves a book done on his life. I also remember his stint in the jazz world before TSOP. It is indeed too bad that Weldon and Bobby Eli are no longer around SDF. I'd like to learn more about his whole career in music. I just remembered that he was a Jehovah Witness also.

My prayers go out to the family.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

What a truly talented man, and so genuine!

May Bobby Rest In Peace, Sincere Condolences to his Family.

This is very sad news indeed. Back in the early/mid 1970s BOBBY MARTIN was one of my favourite producers/arrangers and his name on a record was always a mark of quality.

This is a particular favourite of mine..

RIP Bobby Martin ..

Roger

RIP Bobby Martin ..

I love Bobby Martin's ear, his arrangements were always elegant especially in the Philly realm and away from it.

Martin also produced those great LTD albums from 77-80, he also did the Tavares "Madam Butterfly." He also produced Rockie Robbins's hit, "You and Me."