[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Sept 10, 9P-12M ET- KIM WESTON....Live from Detroit!!!

Howdy, "Nightflight" Listeners!!! I am extremely excited and honored to announce that joining me on this week's show [[Tues, Sept 10, 9P-12M ET) LIVE from Detroit will be Motown's legendary KIM WESTON! Kim's amazing career has spanned decades ....as a singer of Motown, R&B, soul, gospel, the Great American Songbook and more...as an actress, a mentor, founder of FESTIVAL [[the Detroit performing arts program, a disc jockey on the local airwaves of Detroit....and so much more!

Joining Kim on "Nightflight' will be her friend and personal assistant Erik, who has been such an important support to Kim, and with whom this show would not have been possible. Erik...thanks so very much!

Erik wanted me to pass on some important links related to Kim and her career....
    http://www.facebook.com/kimwestonofficial http://www.facebook.com/kimwestonofficial2 http://www.youtube.com/user/kimwestonfanpage http://www.fandalism.com/kimweston

Having Kim on the show is a dream come true. Kim's music...her Motown material in particular, became an important part of the fabric of my musical life early on, as I'm sure has been the case for so many of you.

While Kim is on the air, she will take questions from folks here on SDF.
    Please...no phone calls to the station...I'll be on the phone with Kim and Erik. Thanks!

So DO join me on Tuesday as I present the extraordinary Kim Weston...
    on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans, and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org

Attachment 7172

...and here's an extended version I did of one of my favorite Kim classics!
    Thanks so much, folks...and Kim and Erik....thanks for making a Motown dream of mine come true!

John, you are forever offering surprises, and this one is most welcome!

RossHolloway Guest
    Can't wait to listen in on this show!!

Fantastic Johnny! So very cool indeed. Miss Kim Weston live on WOMR! You've done it again my friend. Congratualtions! Looking forward to what I know will be a fabulous interview. See you and the gang on the Radiola.

thomas96 Guest
    Yes!!!!! Can't wait!!!!

A while back, someone on this forum was trying to compile a list of birth dates for Motown artists/personnel. A missing piece of the puzzle was Mickey Stevenson's birth date.
    I'm not sure if it's proper to ask, but since Kim has so graciously agreed to be interviewed, perhaps the question might be posed.

WONDERFUL John!!!

I'd like to know what Kim's insight is about some of her vaulted material that did not see the light of day for decades on her Motown Anthology CD set, specifically "You Can Do It" and "You Hit Me Where It Hurt Me." I personally was BLOWN away when I first heard "You Can Do It"!...what a song and a big hit opportunity that was missed!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    John, you are forever offering surprises, and this one is most welcome!
    Hey there Mark! Well, I'll tell you. This was almost as much of a surprise to me as it was to you! See you tonight!!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Can't wait to listen in on this show!!
    RossHolloway....glad you'll be joining us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Yes!!!!! Can't wait!!!!
    Thomas...I can't wait either...see you tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    A while back, someone on this forum was trying to compile a list of birth dates for Motown artists/personnel. A missing piece of the puzzle was Mickey Stevenson's birth date.
    I'm not sure if it's proper to ask, but since Kim has so graciously agreed to be interviewed, perhaps the question might be posed.
    Hey there, Carole! I will certainly give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    WONDERFUL John!!!

I'd like to know what Kim's insight is about some of her vaulted material that did not see the light of day for decades on her Motown Anthology CD set, specifically "You Can Do It" and "You Hit Me Where It Hurt Me." I personally was BLOWN away when I first heard "You Can Do It"!...what a song and a big hit opportunity that was missed!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Howard...hello! I will pose your interesting question to Kim....see you later!!!

Happy Is A BUMPy Road

Thank you Joseph!

Attachment 7179

Hi John,

Looking forward to this delightful surprise show tonight. I got my friends Carl, Diane, and Dennis over to listen and make dinner together. Enjoy yourself with Kim and can't wait to hear the two of you at nine!

Take Care
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hi John,

Looking forward to this delightful surprise show tonight. I got my friends Carl, Diane, and Dennis over to listen and make dinner together. Enjoy yourself with Kim and can't wait to hear the two of you at nine!

Take Care
    Glen
    Hey, Glen!!!! Glad you and Carl and Diane and Dennis will be listening. You must let me invite myself to dinner sometime...sound like fun!!!

And Glen and ALL...don't forget to post any questions you may have for Kim....thanks!

There is always a place at my table for you my friend!

I dont have a specific question but I'd love to hear Kim reminisce for us about her duets with Marvin if she has anything she'd care to share about the songs or being in the studio together......

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    There is always a place at my table for you my friend!

I dont have a specific question but I'd love to hear Kim reminisce for us about her duets with Marvin if she has anything she'd care to share about the songs or being in the studio together......
    I like that one....thanks....I'll pose it to her....

...in the studio....HOWDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Hey Johnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Another suggested question: the flip side of "It Takes Two" was "It's Got To Be A Miracle [[This Thing Called Love)" and her thoughts about this cut. I heard it played in Los Angeles on KGFJ Radio back in the day, a mild double-sided hit here.

Also, in my earlier question about her vaulted material, another song which was locked up almost forever was "After The Rain". This is another song that I believe if released back in the 60s would have done well on the charts IMHO!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Last edited by MotownLover; 09-10-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: corrected radio station call letters! KGFJ

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Hey Johnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Another suggested question: the flip side of "It Takes Two" was "It's Got To Be A Miracle [[This Thing Called Love)" and her thoughts about his cut. I heard it played in Los Angeles on KGFG Radio back in the day, a mild double-sided hit here.

Also, in my earlier question about her vaulted material, another song which was locked up almost forever was "After The Rain". This is another song that I believe it released back in the 60s would have done well on the charts IMHO!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Howard....absolutely.....will do...thanks!!

Wanted to give a shout out to KIM, KIM, KIM!

Looking forward to tonight's show!

thomas96 Guest
    OH yeah!!!! Could you ask her to sing a few bars of any song of her choice?

thomas96 Guest
    And what are her thoughts on the current state of Detroit and it's filing for bankruptcy?

thomas96 Guest
    And, did she stay in touch with anybody at Motown [[other than Mickey Stevenson) after she left and still talks to today? If so, who?

Is she working on any new projects, or performing now?

thomas96 Guest
    Did she like her version of Helpless better than the Four Tops' version?

Did she ever think that she wasn't getting enough promotion and should've gotten more?

Why were her planned solo albums shelved, and did that bother her?

Was Kim aware that Marvin Gaye had recorded with Oma Heard following Mary Well's departure and before her own pairing up with Marvin?
    Did Kim ever meet Oma?

thomas96 Guest
    Was she ever attracted to Marvin? [[If this is too personal, leave it out...)

Did she feel at the time there was a good connection between their voices?

thomas96 Guest
    What does she think of the Doobie Brothers version of "Take Me In Your Arms...?"

thomas96 Guest
    Does she think some people got "screwed over" at Motown, or was it generally fair play?

Has she seen Motown the Musical? If so, what are her thoughts on it?

As there are photos of Kim & Marvin & the Andantes recording in the studio, were the majority of their duets recorded together or did either Kim or Marvin record their vocals separately [[ala the early Marvin/Tammi duets) and then find their parts joined together to form a duet?

Hi John,

It's 2.15 in the morning in London and I went to bed at 9 at set my alarm. Hope Kim is feeling better now.

Martin

Hello MJ,

I'm here too. Love me some Kim Weston, a big fan. Please tell her hello for me.

Thanks,
    Tyrone [[Ryon6)

Thanks for using the stereo mixes so far.
    Is anyone else hearing periodically [[and I wish I knew how to describe it) a sound effect not found in either recording?

Martin and all.......Kim said she was really feeling badly, but thought that maybe after 1/2 -hour to 45 min she may feel better. I can't guarantee anything at this point. I have no idea if her situation will rectify. I appreciate your patience. I was thrown myself by this. But.....the music of Kim right now!!

thomas96 Guest
    Great tune. Goodness gracious.

More Q's [[if she comes on):

What is her opinion of popular music today? [[hip hop, country-pop, electronic dubstep, etc)

What are her thoughts on the Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman case/verdict? [[assuming she followed it)

I agree completely with you about Brenda's version of "Ooo Baby Baby"

"It Takes Two" brings back lots of memories, even though I was a kid [[11) at the time.

Tyrone

RossHolloway Guest
    RossHolloway by way of Kalamazoo!

My best wishes to Kim and hopes that she feels much better.

With that said, I'll submit just one question--although it might cause her to head for the hills; and that question is:

What are Kim's opinions/impressions/observations/feelings/remembrances/etc. of the following:

- Brenda Holloway
    - Tammi Terrell
    - Mary Wells
    - Carolyn Crawford
    - Hattie Littles
    - Frances Nero
    - Jackie Hicks
    - Louvain Demps
    - Marlene Barrow
    - Martha Reeves
    - Gladys Horton
    - Wanda Rogers
    - Cal Street
    - Florence Ballard
    - Mary Wilson
    - Diana Ross

is Erik, the same Erik that is the manager for the FLOS?

Tyrone

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I agree completely with you about Brenda's version of "Ooo Baby Baby"
    Really Carole....it's so bad I was SHOCKED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    is Erik, the same Erik that is the manager for the FLOS?

Tyrone
    Tyrone....not sure....that never came up....

Thanks for playing "Just Loving You". It's grown on me over the years to become one of my all time favourite Motown records.

I hope I'm waking up all the neighbours so they can hear what real music is supposed to sound like!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    My best wishes to Kim and hopes that she feels much better.

With that said, I'll submit just one question--although it might cause her to head for the hills; and that question is:

What are Kim's opinions/impressions/observations/feelings/remembrances/etc. of the following:

- Brenda Holloway
    - Tammi Terrell
    - Mary Wells
    - Carolyn Crawford
    - Hattie Littles
    - Frances Nero
    - Jackie Hicks
    - Louvain Demps
    - Marlene Barrow
    - Martha Reeves
    - Gladys Horton
    - Wanda Rogers
    - Cal Street
    - Florence Ballard
    - Mary Wilson
    - Diana Ross
    I think you forgot the Lewis Sisters.............

Amazing strings on "A Little More Love".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Amazing strings on "A Little More Love".

YES.....so gorgeous!!!

So glad that Kim's feeling better! Thanks for the shout out Johnny - Enjoying the show tonight!