PDA

View Full Version : Supremes/Primettes Backing Vocals

test

soulballad
09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
I found an old thread re -Supremes backing vocals for other artists and I'm quite impressed. Some I knew but alot I had forgotten about. The thread even included notes from Harry Weinger which I will paste as well. The ladies were really great at such a young Age. WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyv6bzMS3sY

soulballad
09-03-2013, 12:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3cISZakFA

soulballad
09-03-2013, 12:46 PM
The Primettes:
1. Tears Of Sorrow
2. Pretty Baby [[feat. Mary)
3. I Found A Love – The Falcons
4. Let Me Be Your Boy – Wilson Pickett
5. My Heart Belongs To You – Wilson Pickett
6. I’ll Get Along Without You – Al Garner
7. I’ll Get Along – Marv Johnson
8. All I Need Is You – Marv Johnson
9. Lonely Nights – Gene Martin
10. Return Of Stagger Lee – Don Revel
11. Baby Won’t You Change Your Mind – Al Garner
12. She Shot Me Down – John Lee Hooker [[Mary)
13. Roll On – Walt Jessup
14. Puppet On A String – Gino Washington
15. Bouquet Of Flowers – James Velvet
16. When I Needed You – James Velvet
17. Brenda – Eddie Holland
18. Just Ain’t Enough Love – Eddie Holland

Motown Backing Vocals:
19. Itsy Bity Pity Love – Debbie Dean
20. But I’m Afraid – Debbie Dean
21. Love Me – Pete Hartfield
22. Angel In Blue – Joel Sebastian
23. Blue Cinderella - Joel Sebastian
24. Strange Love – Mary Wells
25. Come To Me – Mary Wells
26. Bad Boy - Mary Wells
27. The Day Will Come – Freddie Gorman
28. What Makes You Love Him – Sammy Ward
29. Small Sad Sam – Bob Kayli
30. Tie Me Tight – Bob Kayli
31. Whose Heart [[Are You Gonna Break Now) – Don McKenzie
32. I’ll Call You – Don McKenzie

1. The One Who Really Loves You – The Marvelettes
2. I’m Finally Through With You – Mable John
3. I’m Gonna Stay – Mary Wells
4. Big Joe Moe – Singin’ Sammy Ward
5. Everybody’s Talking About My Baby – Debbie Dean
6. What About Me – Eddie Holland
7. Sleep [[Little One) – Herman Ward
8. I’ll Cry A Million Tears – Mickey McCullers
9. Hold On Pearl – Bob Kayli
10. I’m Hooked – Bunny Paul
11. We’re Only Young Once – Bunny Paul
12. I’ll Make It Up To You Somehow – Amos Milburn
13. Back To School Again – Morocco Music Makers
14. It Should Have Been Me – Kim Weston
15. Mickey’s Monkey – The Miracles [[Mary)
16. My Heart Is Like A Clock - Mary Wells

soulballad
09-03-2013, 12:47 PM
18. What Goes Up Must Come Down – Holland Dozier
19. Not Now, I’ll Tell You Later – The Temptations
20. Can I Get A Witness – Marvin Gaye with The Temptations
21. You’re A Wonderful One - Marvin Gaye
22. Have A Little Patience And Wait - Marvin Wells
23. Set Me Free – Lee Alan
24. You’re Gonna Love My Baby – Barbara McNair
25. The Touch Of Time - Barbara McNair
26. Going To A Go Go – Brenda Holloway [[Mary & Flo)

1. 1961:
Angel In Blue – Joel Sebastion
Blue Cinderella – Joel Sebastion
But I’m Afraid – Debbie Dean
Come To Me – Mary Wells
The Day Will Come – Freddie Gorman
I’ll Call You – Don McKenzie
Itty Bitty Pity Love – Debbie Dean
Small Sad Sam – Bob Kayli
Strange Love – Mary Wells [[TBD)
What Makes You Love Him – Sammy Ward
Whose Heart Are You Gonna Break Now – Don McKenzie

1962:
Big Joe Moe – Singin’ Sammy Ward
Everybody’s Talking About My Baby – Debbie Dean
Hold On Pearl – Bob Kayli [[TBD)
I’ll Cry A Million Tears – Mickey McCullers
I’m Gonna Stay – Mary Wells
Sleep [[Little One) – Herman Griffin [[TBD)
What About Me – Eddie Holland [[TBD)

1963:
Back To School Again – Morocco Muzik Makers
Can I Get A Witness – Marvin Gaye
I’ll Make It Up To You Somehow – Amos Milburn
I’m Hooked – Bunny Paul [[TBD)
It Should Have Been Me – Kim Weston
Not Now, I’ll Tell You Later – The Temptations
We’re Only Young Once – Bunny Paul
What Goes Up Must Come Down – Dozier/Holland [[TBD)
Who Wouldn’t Love A Man Like That [[1963 version) – Mable John [[TBD)
You Lost The Sweetest Boy – Mary Wells

1964:
Set Me Free – Lee Alan
You’re A Wonderful One – Marvin Gaye

1965:
The Touch Of Time – Barbara McNair

Well Mark, how’s that? Is it similar to your list? I didn’t really go into the albums, like the Mary Wells albums, because the list was dropped before I got that far. I also didn’t go into the unreleased recordings, because then it would have taken a lot longer to tackle.

bradsupremes
09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
I know the Supremes are not on Eddie Holland's "Just Ain't Enough Love." It's clearly the Andantes.

ejluther
09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I went on a similar hunt before and, while I know it's confusing, there appears to be two groups of "Primettes" - for instance, there doesn't seem to be any chance "our" Primettes are on those Walt Jessup, Gino Washington or James Velvet records...of course, I could be wrong...

marv2
09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
These young ladies here refer to themselves as "The Primettes"

http://www.stagepalm.net/soulandmotown.htm

marv2
09-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Scroll to near the bottom of this page for more of the "Prim - ettes"

http://www.shout123.co.uk/roy_g_hemmings.htm

144man
09-03-2013, 06:31 PM
"I'll Make It Up to You Somehow" is credited to the Andantes on the Amos Milburn album.

"You're A Wonderful One" has been discussed many times and is generally accepted as being the Andantes with the addition of Diana Ross.

Roberta75
09-03-2013, 06:31 PM
These youn ladies here refer to themselves as "The Primettes"

http://www.stagepalm.net/soulandmotown.htm
lololololol young ladies? lolololol

Them ladies havent been young in quite a few decades and I doubt the regular concert goers know who the orinials Primettes were let alone theses middle aged gals. lol

soulballad
09-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I think this guy was a Chicago DJ. The Supremes sound great behind him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K76YBiPXblo

soulballad
09-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm used to hearing this By the Marvelettes from their Playboy Album. This version with Bunny with the Sups is cute too! the poster of the vid credits the bg's to Martha Reeves, LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9_YHH3nz5M

marv2
09-03-2013, 07:37 PM
"I'll Make It Up to You Somehow" is credited to the Andantes on the Amos Milburn album.

"You're A Wonderful One" has been discussed many times and is generally accepted as being the Andantes with the addition of Diana Ross.

You have that wrong.....sorry. "You're A Wonderful One" is just Flo, Diana and Mary on backups. That came to me from someone who was there.

marv2
09-03-2013, 07:38 PM
lololololol young ladies? lolololol

Them ladies havent been young in quite a few decades and I doubt the regular concert goers know who the orinials Primettes were let alone theses middle aged gals. lol

They're younger than Diana Ross.

Roberta75
09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
They're younger than Diana Ross.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

144man
09-03-2013, 07:43 PM
You have that wrong.....sorry. "You're A Wonderful One" is just Flo, Diana and Mary on backups. That came to me from someone who was there.

That's not what the session logs say. We've had this discussion before, but I can't get too excited over it.

marv2
09-03-2013, 07:48 PM
That's not what the session logs say. We've had this discussion before, but I can't get too excited over it.

Really, I personally don't give a shit about the session logs. They are full of mistakes by someone. I go by what the folks behind the microphones say. But you can believe what you want.

144man
09-03-2013, 07:53 PM
It's just academic interest now. Whoever's singing doesn't affect my enjoyment of the record. As far as giving credit where credit is due, it's not my battle to fight.

robb_k
09-05-2013, 03:42 AM
The Supremes [[not Primettes) sang the backgrounds for Wilson Pickett's Two Correc-Tone cuts in early 1962. They were likely the same group that backed James Velvet's and Gino Washington's Correc-tone recordings at that same time. They had stopped being The Primettes for from over a year before.

Sotosound
09-05-2013, 07:50 AM
I know the Supremes are not on Eddie Holland's "Just Ain't Enough Love." It's clearly the Andantes.

Interesting.

My ears can hear Diana Ross loud and clear singing the "Ooo-ooo-oo" bit before the backing singers sing "Just Ain't Enough Love".

When I first bought and played this single back in the late 70s [[strangely, out of a cheap singles box in a newsagent in Kensal Green, I think) that's what struck me about the backing vocals.

ejluther
09-05-2013, 08:12 AM
The Supremes [[not Primettes) sang the backgrounds for Wilson Pickett's Two Correc-Tone cuts in early 1962. They were likely the same group that backed James Velvet's and Gino Washington's Correc-tone recordings at that same time. So that was The Supremes [[Diana, Mary & Flo)? I thought the Washington and Velvet records were cut in 1960? Or are these different records/rerecordings? Or maybe I'm just wrong about when they were recorded [[always very possible)?

marv2
09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
In 1976 Diana Ross claimed that she , Mary and Florence were backing Mary Well's on "My Guy". I had never heard that before her interview on CKLW.

robb_k
09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
So that was The Supremes [[Diana, Mary & Flo)? I thought the Washington and Velvet records were cut in 1960? Or are these different records/rerecordings? Or maybe I'm just wrong about when they were recorded [[always very possible)?
Wilbur Golden didn't even start hiring people to work for his Correc-tone label until early 1962, when he offered Mickey Stevenson and Brian Holland to run his new label. They got Robert Bateman involved, and later, Popcorn Wylie, after Stevenson and Brian, Eddie Holland and Lamont Dozier backed out. Gino Washington's and James Velvet's [[James Ellis?) recordings were made in spring 1962. The Primettes' recordings for Robert West [[Lupine 120) were made in 1960, as were the Don Revels, Gene Martin and the Al Garner cuts. Those so-called Marv Johnson cuts were actually sung by Al Garner.

ejluther
09-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info - it's interesting to think of The Primettes/Supremes being on the Washington & Velvet Correc-Tone/Cub records...and so the songs are "Bouquet of Flowers" & "When I Needed You" [[Velvet), "Puppet on a String" & "I'm a Coward" [[Washington)?

Motown Andy
09-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Hi all, I haven’t posted in ages, but I still check in from time to time. Tonight, as I read through this thread, I thought I’d add my two cents:

Wonderful One – Supremes
Just Ain’t Enough Love – Andantes
I’m Hooked – Not Supremes
Blue Cinderella – I used to think it was the Supremes, but I don’t think it is. We’d need to isolate the background vocals and give it another spin. But I don’t think it’s the Supremes

As for the Primettes, I have a list around here somewhere, I’ll need to find it. It was going to go into the Meet The Supremes booklet.

marv2
09-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Hi all, I haven’t posted in ages, but I still check in from time to time. Tonight, as I read through this thread, I thought I’d add my two cents:

Wonderful One – Supremes
Blue Cinderella – I used to think it was the Supremes, but I don’t think it is. We’d need to isolate the background vocals and give it another spin. But I don’t think it’s the Supremes

As for the Primettes, I have a list around here somewhere, I’ll need to find it. It was going to go into the Meet The Supremes booklet.

Hey Andy! How have you been?

Motown Andy
09-05-2013, 11:26 PM
I've been well, thanks Marv. Hope to get releases moving again soon!

marv2
09-05-2013, 11:28 PM
I've been well, thanks Marv. Hope to get releases moving again soon!

Just keep doing a great job. I can wait.

bradsupremes
09-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Here's a track I know for certain has the Supremes. Can't hear Diana, but Flo, Mary & Barbara all stand out throughout points in the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdtK7Wb1_I

marv2
09-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Here's a track I know for certain has the Supremes. Can't hear Diana, but Flo, Mary & Barbara all stand out throughout points in the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdtK7Wb1_I

They all sound rather good to not have been formally trained singers.

ejluther
09-06-2013, 07:20 AM
That would be great and, as always, thanks for all the great work - can't wait for new releases!

floyjoy678
09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Apparently Mary, Florence and the Andantes are backing up Jerry Butler on "Just A Little Bit". I haven't listened to that one in a while but from what I remember you can hear Florence pretty well on that one.

jboy88
09-06-2013, 05:32 PM
I think they're also on Marvin's Wherever I Lay My Hat too.

sansradio
02-27-2016, 10:41 AM
What Makes You Love Him – Sammy Ward

Bumping this ancient thread to note [[for all you Supremes/Primettes completists out there) that the girls only appear on the second version of this song. Ward sings the first version alone.

sansradio
05-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Another bump: Can anyone confirm that The Sups are singing background on Mary Wells' "He's the One I Love"? I didn't see it listed here, but Benjaminson says it's them in his Wells biography.

marv2
05-10-2017, 10:23 PM
thanks Sansradio for bumping this thread up. I hope those that like to just argue for the sake of it get to see it.

mowest
05-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Another bump: Can anyone confirm that The Sups are singing background on Mary Wells' "He's the One I Love"? I didn't see it listed here, but Benjaminson says it's them in his Wells biography.

I can’t confirm it but to these ears, it doesn’t sound like the Supremes in the background. More like the Andantes.

RanRan79
05-11-2017, 12:08 AM

I don't think it's them. I wonder where Benjaminson got that information.

RanRan79
05-11-2017, 12:10 AM
I think they're also on Marvin's Wherever I Lay My Hat too.

I wrestle with this one. I want to say it's the Supremes but I think there could be a chance that it's Martha and the Vandellas.

RanRan79
05-11-2017, 12:11 AM
Apparently Mary, Florence and the Andantes are backing up Jerry Butler on "Just A Little Bit". I haven't listened to that one in a while but from what I remember you can hear Florence pretty well on that one.

According to Mary's first book she's the only Supreme at the Jerry Butler session.

RanRan79
05-11-2017, 12:15 AM
I'm almost positive the Supremes are on Joe Stubbs' "What's My Destiny".

sansradio
05-11-2017, 01:23 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my HTOIL question. I have the same doubts as each of you do.

marv2
05-11-2017, 01:28 PM
I know this thread is more related to the Original Supremes/Primettes, but Cindy Birdsong and Patti Labelle & the Bluebelles backed up Wilson Pickett on his hit "634-5789".

luke
05-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Very cool. I didnt know that.

sansradio
05-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Oh, yes, marv2. That's unmistakably Patti wailing behind Pickett at the fade.

sansradio
06-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Another bump: Aren't the girls also backing Barbara McNair's version of "Fancy Passes"?

carole cucumber
06-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Another bump: Aren't the girls also backing Barbara McNair's version of "Fancy Passes"?

Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks & Marlene Barrow back up Barbara McNair on Fancy Passes.
Mary Wilson & Florence Ballard provide back up for both released versions of the Supremes recording of Fancy Passes.

marv2
06-07-2017, 09:28 PM
You can easily hear Florence Ballard on top in the background here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTdywZN9T8

sansradio
06-08-2017, 01:27 AM
Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks & Marlene Barrow back up Barbara McNair on Fancy Passes.
Mary Wilson & Florence Ballard provide back up for both released versions of the Supremes recording of Fancy Passes.

Thanks for clearing that up, carole; I recall it being mentioned in a guest-vocal section of a Ross-Supremes discography in one of the bios [[DREAMGIRL or CALL HER..., possibly?).

sansradio
07-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Bump: Our SDF member RanRan79 informs me that The Sups also back Kim Weston on "Feel Alright Tonight."

markdtiller
08-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Wonderful One – Supremes

Hi Andy
Any luck finding your listing for "Meet..."? I compiled the original list that's been resurrected above
Mark